• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

Cyborgmatt is here?

900x900px-LL-2efa7844_South-Park-nice.jpeg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
And then the very next game another carryless team (still mine) ROFLstomps the enemy with Sven, Crystal Maiden, Skywrath, Undying and Warlock. I was Sven and I think I had the least kills on the team. We ended up going like 47-12 against a team with Drow, Sniper, and Doom
Sven is a carry

Chris R

Well I just finished my first match against real people. Their team had 4 players after one dropped but it didn't matter since they had a good player on their side who went 29/0/2...

How exactly are matches made? Everyone on my team was TERRIBLE and that isn't saying much since I'm not good, but I was still the best player on the team (well, IDK if best is the correct term but I ended up being the highest level with most gold and kills).

edit: Also, do I get items at the end of the game or are those just for the winning team? When they killed us I saw three items pop up but they aren't in my inventory.

bounchfx

second weapon now in! This one is Hellfire Edge, for Chaos Knight. I hope you guys like it, it was a bitch to get within the polygon limit haha.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163530599

here's a link to the other weapon I just finished as well in case you missed it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163220102

These were both made for the polycount monthly dota comp, I will be adding vids for both sometime tonight as well.

SB set is coming next (aiming for this weekend), then dazzle wep and fv wep. Whew!

Hylian7

How does one be successful in Medusa in a pub? I feel like you have to have an absolutely perfect game with no deaths or mistakes every, and that simply doesn't happen in pubs.

shira

second weapon now in! This one is Hellfire Edge, for Chaos Knight. I hope you guys like it, it was a bitch to get within the polygon limit haha.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163530599

here's a link to the other weapon I just finished as well in case you missed it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=163220102

These were both made for the polycount monthly dota comp, I will be adding vids for both sometime tonight as well.

SB set is coming next (aiming for this weekend), then dazzle wep and fv wep. Whew!

Much bettter than the sword +1. Really like it .

Dota is a snowbally game, especially at low levels where people have bad strategic understanding of the game and don't really know how to play from behind. There's really nothing the match maker can do about that.

I disagree. I think if Valve looked at the situation, they would see a significant difference between regions in strategic understanding. There is a massive skill gap.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Why doesn't Luna have anything to buy in the store. garry pls

Well I just finished my first match against real people. Their team had 4 players after one dropped but it didn't matter since they had a good player on their side who went 29/0/2...

How exactly are matches made? Everyone on my team was TERRIBLE and that isn't saying much since I'm not good, but I was still the best player on the team (well, IDK if best is the correct term but I ended up being the highest level with most gold and kills).

edit: Also, do I get items at the end of the game or are those just for the winning team? When they killed us I saw three items pop up but they aren't in my inventory.

Those of us who are new or new-ish to the game on GAF really need a group or something, so we at least have people to play with who are actually trying. I did a match just now with a Warlock who didn't even buy items at the start of the game and left teammates out to dry during group fights.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

If everyone on your team was terrible, it's because it's your first game. You got mathed with other first timers. Most of them probably didn't even know what their hero does or what items to buy.
The enemy team probably had either a guy with more games played, or a smurf account. MM can't do much about that

Having the most kills doesn't mean you were the best player. It's easier to get kills as some heroes, than it it with others.

Those items at the end are random drops. Read the names under the items to see who got one. If you get an item it will be on the left bottom corner of the score screen.

I disagree. I think if Valve looked at the situation, they would see a significant difference between regions in strategic understanding. There is a massive skill gap.
If that were true then they would queue lower than you. Maybe their play style is different, but it's not necessarily better.

Why doesn't Luna have anything to buy in the store. garry pls

Those of us who are new or new-ish to the game on GAF really need a group or something, so we at least have people to play with who are actually trying. I did a match just now with a Warlock who didn't even buy items at the start of the game and left teammates out to dry during group fights.

I agree, I'm very new to the game and I'm kinda intimidated to play online vs players because of my newness.

Aaron

It's pretty hard to hear any of the arguments against a surrender button after you just got tower dived for 15 minutes straight. I literally cant think of a more negative experience I've ever had in a multiplayer game.
There isn't a surrender button? I was watching Defense grand finals, and when the other team all gg-ed the game ended instantly, even in a match where I could clearly see there were no creeps near their ancient. How did they do that then?

GAF has a guild in theory, but I've never seen anyone start a party there. Maybe just the times I play though.

bounchfx

Much bettter than the sword +1. Really like it .

thank you!

yeah the sword was a simple take on something, I don't think every item in the store should be shooting for rare/mythical and look super over the top, but I understand that's kinda what people want I guess haha :)

I'm really happy with the CK axe though, it looks really good in game I think.

Kreunt

Banned
There isn't a surrender button? I was watching Defense grand finals, and when the other team all gg-ed the game ended instantly, even in a match where I could clearly see there were no creeps near their ancient. How did they do that then?

only works in private lobby games. when someone types 'gg' it triggers a popup. hasn't been around for long.

Chris R

If everyone on your team was terrible, it's because it's your first game. You got mathed with other first timers. Most of them probably didn't even know what their hero does or what items to buy.
The enemy team probably had either a guy with more games played, or a smurf account. MM can't do much about that

Having the most kills doesn't mean you were the best player. It's easier to get kills as some heroes, than it it with others.

Those items at the end are random drops. Read the names under the items to see who got one. If you get an item it will be on the left bottom corner of the score screen.

Ah ok, no items in the lower left so I didn't get anything. And that guy had to be a smurf. All the other players seemed to be of a similar level but he was just miles better than everyone. Thanks for the info.

sixghost

So the game after my team got tower dove for 15 minutes, one player on the other team stole a teammates bottle, and then that guy proceeded to feed for the next 25 minutes.

Card Boy

Banned

Surrender is only in Tournament/Private games only which is dumb as fuck. The DOTA 'purists' have Valve by the balls and are screwing the game for the rest of us.

Aaron

Surrender is only in Tournament/Private games only which is dumb as fuck. The DOTA 'purists' have Valve by the balls and are screwing the game for the rest of us.
That's some dumb shit, Valve. If it's something the pros want, maybe us mortal players would like it too. I haven't had any remotely close games lately, which put me off playing more for all the time wasted in just waiting for the game to end.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
That's some dumb shit, Valve. If it's something the pros want, maybe us mortal players would like it too. I haven't had any remotely close games lately, which put me off playing more for all the time wasted in just waiting for the game to end.

Please don't start the surrender discussion once again.

Valve won't add it. End of line.

I agree, I'm very new to the game and I'm kinda intimidated to play online vs players because of my newness.

Man up and dive in. I never even played a bot match before I hopped into my first game. The others will be just as horrible as you are. (Except for the smurfs)

If you really wanna play it safe, read up a guide on playdota (no don't go to dotafire, the last time I visited that site, most high rated guides were complete shit) and pick that hero in your game. And I mean really "read up", don't just look at the recommended items and be done with it.

bounchfx

I like this better than the SK Sword. I have no problem with the SK Sword's simple look but it kinda looks like Jugg's new sword.

did that jugg sword just get in? I was aware of it, and I mentioned it when I got the concept, but it didn't seem like a dealbreaker. Kinda funny how a circle cut out can completely change the feel of it, yea? they're so easy to do when concepting too ;(. I hope it doesn't turn too many away simply because it has one area of similar shape language.

Chris R

Do the tutorial up until you unlock games against humans at least, it really prepared me for the game and I have a much better understanding of what exactly I should be doing at any given time.

shira

iZOUFxt04VLRs.gif

SingSingIsMad.gif
confirmed as Kaipi.
RIP in peace Qbad.

Xater

Welcome Cyborgmatt. Your blog is fantastic, also I bought a Shagbark with my own money. I think i deserve at least a handshake ;)

Just had an awesome comeback game where we kept trading towers and racks and finally got the GG with mega creeps.

It was only possible because Ursa is such a shit carry late game that if it allowed our Weaver and PA to catch up with items. Feels good.

I got bored with Viper, so tried Drow Ranger.

First match I got loads of kills, and just followed a build from the community. I got fed loads really early so my attack speed was ludicrous by the end game - always fun to see players running away from you :D

I need to learn more about how items and stats really work though, but I'm still having fun at the moment.

I'm gonna say my hypothesis and you guys can agree/refute it.

99.9% of Shadow Fiend players are massive wankers. Shadow Fiend causes this by hypnotising people with his walk animation.

(please note that this is not actually my hypothesis)

Kreunt

Banned
seen to only be able to win or lose in streaks lately

is that what you told your wife?

jokes on you! im single.
:(

I'm gonna say my hypothesis and you guys can agree/refute it.

99.9% of Shadow Fiend players are massive wankers. Shadow Fiend causes this by hypnotising people with his walk animation.

(please note that this is not actually my hypothesis)

99.9% of dota players are massive wankers.

Alright, alright... I suppose I should give this game a shot. Downloaded it last night, did some tutorials and bot matches, and now I'm doing all my homework in the OP.

Hold me, GAF.

Haunted

It's pretty crazy that the tutorial doesn't teach anything about invis heroes and how to counter them. Like, how is a new player supposed to know how to lane against an invis player without knowing about sentries, dust or gem?

This and no mention of bottles (especially since it's focusing on solo mid as much as it is) are the biggest oversights, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom