• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
On a slightly different note, The chat channels in game are broke. I tried to join the neogaf channel to help out any new people, but they were all empty? Volo plx fix?
I think if you create a new channel called NeoGAF, it'll put you into the existing (and populated) channel for now

yarden24

What would the solution be? The only way I could see them fixing this is making servers restricted to IPs only in that region. Unless in cases where servers are down, then they take that off so obviously they can play on servers that are up.

But outside of something like that (which I'm not even sure is possible), there is nothing stopping anyone from any region hopping on whatever server they want. The other issue is, not every person from these other regions only speaks one language. So it wouldn't be fair to them.

I do have to agree though, it's pretty much ruining matchmaking for me right now. Anytime I don't have a full team, I almost always get stuck with a teammate that is from Brazil/Russia who either doesn't speak English or who won't speak it. Even worse when it's the kind of person that keeps speaking in their language when no one else but their buddy can understand what they are saying. Completely breaks the communication aspect of the game. I also see this from their side of things. If me and my friends are speaking a language they don't understand, how does that benefit them? Everyone loses. And this has been happening A LOT lately to me. To the point that I refuse to play matchmaking anymore unless I have 4-5 man team. I just don't really see what kind of solution would be viable for this.

Then again, I wonder if it's even as big of an issue as it is for you and me. Maybe we are just unlucky.

you could add another report option, which says, "did not communicate" and another commend button with "communicated well' though that may bring a host of new problems

dk_

jwfRTVL.png

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Got all my player cards stamped in the compendium! Woo!

Note: if you have LGD.cn cards, they are worth a lot on D2Lounge...Yao/Sylar/DDC especially. Keys/rares/etc.

TGMIII

Got all my player cards stamped in the compendium! Woo!

Note: if you have LGD.cn cards, they are worth a lot on D2Lounge...Yao/Sylar/DDC especially. Keys/rares/etc.

I completed my player compendium last night and those were the hardest to get along with S4.

Gurrry

Ive been playing for the past 2-3 days or so.. I just found an amazing tip that really helped.

In-game, click the little book in the top left, then click the orange arrow on the right. This should bring up builds for your character that users have created, not just the standard valve one. Click the checkmark next to the one you want, then hit OK. Now, this build will show up in your recommended items for the rest of the game.

This will go as far as highlighting which skill to level up first, all the best items youll need for core, mid and late game AND it has strategies written in to each attack as well.

It definitely improved my game, especially since I was so overwhelmed with the items.

Ive been playing for the past 2-3 days or so.. I just found an amazing tip that really helped.

In-game, click the little book in the top left, then click the orange arrow on the right. This should bring up builds for your character that users have created, not just the standard valve one. Click the checkmark next to the one you want, then hit OK. Now, this build will show up in your recommended items for the rest of the game.

This will go as far as highlighting which skill to level up first, all the best items youll need for core, mid and late game AND it has strategies written in to each attack as well.

It definitely improved my game, especially since I was so overwhelmed with the items.

Indeed! Allows you to work out 'why' certain items are good for certain heroes also, because you'll notice trends across various builds.

Certainly makes it much easier to try out new heroes as a new player. Using these is allowing me to get involved in the game without being overwhelmed by stats etc. but instead allowing that knowledge to come gradually through play.

RubxQub

Just watch dota2wh.com all the time. They got shitload of player cards. S4 was one of the first I picked up.

Definitely this. Dota2WH filled in probably two-thirds of my compendium alone, and you'll find just about every card you want on that site, outside of Na'vi and LGD.cn. Those cards WILL pop up, but they will literally disappear in seconds.

Finished it out by using D2L and trading things for cards.

Just have to be patient with Dota2WH. The site will swing heavily from literally not having ANY cards available, to having just about everything you could be looking for.

RubxQub

If it's mousesports I'm going to be upset

The ONLY perk of having Mouz not go for whatever reason would be Tobi/Synd perma-casting TI3, which would be amazing.

F!ReW!Re

Definitely this. Dota2WH filled in probably two-thirds of my compendium alone, and you'll find just about every card you want on that site, outside of Na'vi and LGD.cn. Those cards WILL pop up, but they will literally disappear in seconds.

Finished it out by using D2L and trading things for cards.

Just have to be patient with Dota2WH. The site will swing heavily from literally not having ANY cards available, to having just about everything you could be looking for.

Yesterday I started with the cards, I traded in 4 spare rares and now I only need Dendi and Banana, the rest I nabbed from Dota2wh.com

Great stuff indeed!

caesar

Banned
Fuck this sniper on my team ruining my treant record. DCs 1 min in, comes back like 'guys i can't play' dcs again then comes back 4 mins later like 'Oh it works now! guys! :)" Meanwhile he only has boots and they have a quickly snowballing brewmaster.

Poor guy got grilled by everyone.

TommyT

Fuck this sniper on my team ruining my treant record. DCs 1 min in, comes back like 'guys i can't play' dcs again then comes back 4 mins later like 'Oh it works now! guys! :)" Meanwhile he only has boots and they have a quickly snowballing brewmaster.

Poor guy got grilled by everyone.

Sounds like M0B... or Batang! Man, that was a rough series of games last night. Should definitely check out the raging from us on Hylian's stream. I even got rather testy :\. Why did I pick SK vs AM... smdh

kagete

So... Is there a TI3 meetup thread or group or list of people going? I've got a hookup and I'm 50% decided on going. (Yuuka T_T)

If possible I want to hear about any NON-DOTA related meetups. Stuff like skipping maybe the first day to drive around or do bar crawls or try out some of the better restaurants in the area.

RubxQub

So... Is there a TI3 meetup thread or group or list of people going? I've got a hookup and I'm 50% decided on going. (Yuuka T_T)

If possible I want to hear about any NON-DOTA related meetups. Stuff like skipping maybe the first day to drive around or do bar crawls or try out some of the better restaurants in the area.

I'm not going...but apparently there is a street food festival going on that week:

http://seastreetfoodfest.com

TommyT

Anyone happen to have Dendi, Kuroky, or Sylar cards? Last three I need and I haven't seen them pop up on the warehouse yet to buy.

Anyone happen to have Dendi, Kuroky, or Sylar cards? Last three I need and I haven't seen them pop up on the warehouse yet to buy.

http://steamep.com/dota2

and

http://dota2lounge.com/

do a really good job of filling in the gaps of the WH.

If you're looking for a rare one trade it 1:1 for a junk one on the first. If you're short of extra cards and want more common ones go to the lounge and unload a common item or two for it.

fallout

Ten hours? Dude, get yourself into some human games. Play heroes you know, ignore the abuse.
I need to learn to do this. I put in a similar amount awhile back and the few experiences I had playing with humans were absolutely awful, even when I played with friends. Nobody had fun, I fucked up a lot, everyone got pissed off at each other. Shit, we even won two games and people were angry. I need to turn off that little switch in my head that makes me care about what others think.

RubxQub

I need to learn to do this. I put in a similar amount awhile back and the few experiences I had playing with humans were absolutely awful, even when I played with friends. Nobody had fun, I fucked up a lot, everyone got pissed off at each other. Shit, we even won two games and people were angry. I need to turn off that little switch in my head that makes me care about what others think.

...and quickly! If the people are just being purely inflammatory, they get the mute very quickly. Also, people that are inflammatory are almost always doing something poorly and are bad players which makes it that much worse.

Be very liberal with the mute button in this game. I cannot tell you how much that helps. If everyone's getting hot and it's making your game worse, you should mute them.

I usually attempt to smooth things over, and if they don't have any signs of humanity, I mute them.

Don't hold it against them when you play either...play your guts out. Just don't listen to that shit.

F!ReW!Re

Tbh, wouldn't mind joining a private game with some of the new guys, maybe touching on some different area's, some tips and doing some bot games.
Dunno if people are up for it.

TommyT

http://steamep.com/dota2

and

http://dota2lounge.com/

do a really good job of filling in the gaps of the WH.

If you're looking for a rare one trade it 1:1 for a junk one on the first. If you're short of extra cards and want more common ones go to the lounge and unload a common item or two for it.

Yeah... I do have a question about DotA2 Lounge trading: So if someone has a full team and then the arrow shows they're trading for a key (5 cards -> 1 key), does this mean they want one key for all the items, or one key per item?

Zeth

I've been playing the tutorial all week. Completed everything 100% and just trying to find a few heroes I like to learn more specifically. Any recommendations other than the ones in the OP (using those too)? I'm probably over-preparing, I have 13 hours under my belt but I've yet to pay with humans. I'll be jumping in soon though. edit: seems I'm not alone -I guess I can expect to be the best player on my team :lol

Yeah... I do have a question about DotA2 Lounge trading: So if someone has a full team and then the arrow shows they're trading for a key (5 cards -> 1 key), does this mean they want one key for all the items, or one key per item?

It really depends, if you click through they might have that information in the description.

If it's not clear and you are really curious you can leave a comment asking, but there are so many trades going on that I usually just ignore them if they're not completely clear on what they want.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I've been playing the tutorial all week. Completed everything 100% and just trying to find a few heroes I like to learn more specifically. Any recommendations other than the ones in the OP (using those too)? I'm probably over-preparing, I have 13 hours under my belt but I've yet to pay with humans. I'll be jumping in soon though. edit: seems I'm not alone -I guess I can expect to be the best player on my team :lol

I think Venomancer is the hero that really got me to learn the game well. He has a little bit of everything - good laning, good aggression, decent pushing / counterpush, and his wards teach you the importance of vision. In teamfights you contribute by using your ult and using gale, and right clicking who you can.

His biggest downside is his squishiness - but that will teach you better positioning (probably the most important thing in DOTA)

shira

It's pretty crazy that the tutorial doesn't teach anything about invis heroes and how to counter them. Like, how is a new player supposed to know how to lane against an invis player without knowing about sentries, dust or gem?

This and no mention of bottles (especially since it's focusing on solo mid as much as it is) are the biggest oversights, I think.
Icefrog plays inviz heroes

RubxQub

Basic tips for all new players:

- If you're playing a support, support your team over helping yourself (get wards, get sentries, get dust, get smoke, let your carry farm, etc etc). Need to learn to play with minimal items and still be effective.

- If you can't stop something from happening, don't try. What I'm really getting at is defending towers, but this applies to saving allies or Roshan as well. If you see 3 people pushing your tower and you're alone...don't stick around trying to make something happen if it's a super low-percentage play. You dying + the tower falling is the likely outcome vs. just the tower falling. Needlessly dying accelerates the other team's snowball. No need to throw a cute little nuke and plan to run away if it isn't going to stop the tower from falling or killing a high priority target. Just let the tower fall and move on.

- Try and check the map as often as you can. This took awhile to get used to, but you need to glance at the mini-map and know where the enemy is as often as possible. During the laning phase especially, noticing that people are missing yourself should be your goal vs. depending on others to tell you people are missing. If you're lane is pushed out far and people aren't on the map...play with caution.

- Invisibility heroes during the laning phase should be countered early and often. If you're laning against a Bounty Hunter or Broodmother or Riki...etc etc...get sentries and place them strategically down the lane. They go from terrifying to manageable in these scenarios, and often you can kill them because they aren't used to having people detect them and get over-confident. Prioritize this over some other items if you can.

- Do not auto-attack creep waves pretty much ever (unless you're pushing). Generally, you want your creep wave as close to your own towers as possible. You attacking the creeps needlessly just pushes the lane further away, making your more exposed to enemy ganks. Keep the wave close, and if you take out the people in your lane, you can perhaps decide it's a good time to push.

- CARRY A TP SCROLL! ALWAYS! You should be blowing anywhere from 1000-2000g per game on TP scrolls. In the laning phase, a TP scroll could be the difference between you living or dying. A TP scroll could be the difference between your teammate getting ganked or surviving...or even counter-ganking the other team. If you don't have a TP scroll on you, you shouldn't feel good. Fun tip: If you have double-click casting enabled for items, double tapping your TP scroll will target your fountain and TP you there. Very fast escapes this way.

- Items: General rule of thumb is that if you're winning, save for game changing items (Heart, MKB, Abyssal...etc), if you're losing, spend your money on stat items (bracers, drums, ghost scepter, etc) to try and equalize the playing field. Lower your bar for target items (instead of a top tier item, target something more mid tier like a SnY, Drums, Halberd, Blade Mail). If the other team is starting to snowball, these stats or mid-tier items could be the equalizer you need to tip the scales in your favor before it's too late.

- Know the difference between long lane and safe lane. If you have your team's jungle next to the tower in your lane, you're in the safe lane. What this means is that the creep waves initially collides right near your tower, giving you a nice advantage early. On top of this, the enemy team is more easily ganked because you can have teammates pop out of your jungle and catch them from behind if they push up too far. If you're in the long lane, your goal is to A) not die and B) not die and C) sap as much last hits and gold as you can. If you need to miss entire creep waves of exp/gold to prevent pushing out too far, it's likely worth it than to die. You'll learn over time when you can take bigger risks in the long lane and which heroes do better there. You want your carry in the safe lane, and you want to send someone with them that can do a great job protecting them by either harassing the other team with ranged attacks/spammable abilities, or prevent/heal damage on the carry.

- Important timers: Runes spawn every 2 minutes on the 2 minute marker, regardless of when the last rune was picked up. A new rune won't spawn unless the previous was picked up. Roshan spawns 10 minutes after he dies. If you attack a camp of creeps and run away from them at the X:53 mark on the clock, that creep camp will get an additional group of creeps spawned there on top of the previous group you just pulled. This is great when you're farming up for extra gold or attempting a pull. (I won't get into pulling, but if you've got all this other stuff largely down, you should read up on pulling).

- Learn as much about enemy heroes as you possible can. While you're waiting for games to queue, check out the library tab and read up on abilities other heroes you're not so familiar with have. Not knowing what the enemy can do would easily be the difference between you feeding the whole game and you dominating the other hero.

...that's probably plenty to chew on.

smiggyRT

How would I know if a character is meant to played as support, carry etc? The tutorial has really helped me so far but there seems to be so much you have to discover on your own, usually stuff that gets my team mates mad.

How was I supposed to know :(

F!ReW!Re

Maybe try out a few jungler heroes in a couple of bot games. Nature's Prophet is a great jungler to start with since jungling with his treants is easy and he has global presence because of his teleport. Allows you to jump into a lane at any time and secure a kill;

- Enemy mid player overextending? TP in and sprout the bastard, most of the time this is a guaranteed kill (be mindful of vision and your own hp/mp. Also let your own mid know in advance)
- TP into a fight on the side lanes when the enemy heroes are on either low health or are overextending.

And his ult is also very useful for either securing a kill on a fleeing enemy or to keep the lanes pushed.

How would I know if a character is meant to played as support, carry etc? The tutorial has really helped me so far but there seems to be so much you have to discover on your own, usually stuff that gets my team mates mad.

Check the OP or check their roles ingame (learn tab) or use the filter when picking a hero (top of the screen)

RubxQub

When you're picking your heroes, you'll notice they have these icons on them that designate what Valve has determined their typical role is in a game.

You can also filter the hero list by role when you're selecting to help your narrow down your choices while you're still learning.

1-2k on tp scrolls. You in a rush?
Really just trying to drive home that you should be spending money on scrolls constantly...and 7 scrolls = 1000g which isn't really that crazy. Perhaps 14 scrolls is a bit much, but depending on game length...also not.

ant_

This is a good place for quick guides that have a very basic introduction to a hero you are playing

www.dota2alttab.com/

Of course there is the built-in guide system as well.

shira

Read thread OP

ant_

TBH those builds are quite horrible.
Would rather recommend using the build in guide system. Choose the two highest rated ones and experiment with them.

They're horrible for a high skill level where most builds are reactionary and game-dependent. For an introductory level player who is just learning how to play? They're fine.

Aaron

It's pretty crazy that the tutorial doesn't teach anything about invis heroes and how to counter them. Like, how is a new player supposed to know how to lane against an invis player without knowing about sentries, dust or gem?

This and no mention of bottles (especially since it's focusing on solo mid as much as it is) are the biggest oversights, I think.
There really should be a tutorial on playing carries vs supports, which would allow them to cover stuff like jungling and warding. Hell, pulling and stacking should be in there. I could use some practice with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom