• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

Hell, pulling and stacking should be in there. I could use some practice with that.

That's easily remedied by looking up the different pull times or watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFu-Q4X9mM and then starting up a bot match where you just ignore the lanes and just focus on triple stacking each camp (even the ancients/mid camps).

You'll learn way faster by actually doing it a couple of times instead of just looking at the video or reading a tutorial about it.
(Friendly reminder: Always stack the camps on easy lane when you want to pull the lane creeps into the jungle. If you don't; you'll actually push the lane to the enemies tower, which could be useful when you want to push down a tower)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
EternalEnvy's play in the Defense GFs was actually pretty damn solid, and I think with Sing officially on the team they should be pretty dangerous. Was kind of surprised they didn't respect-ban Weaver from him in the later games. He was eviscerating people with him.

F!ReW!Re

EternalEnvy's play in the Defense GFs was actually pretty damn solid, and I think with Sing officially on the team they should be pretty dangerous. Was kind of surprised they didn't respect-ban Weaver from him in the later games. He was eviscerating people with him.

And he got destroyed when he played weaver vs. Mouse earlier that night.
Navi didn't care anyway. They kinda showed they could go into the finals with a crazy line up and still beat the crap out of them...

RubxQub

And he got destroyed when he played weaver vs. Mouse earlier that night.
Navi didn't care anyway. They kinda showed they could go into the finals with a crazy line up and still beat the crap out of them...

I still can't decide if Na'vi just decided to say "fuck it" and do some weird shit...or if they were genuinely planning on putting Kaipi off their game and fuck with them to get them out of their comfort zone.

It seems masterful if it was some kind of intentional move by Puppey.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Basic tips for all new players:

- If you're playing a support, support your team over helping yourself (get wards, get sentries, get dust, get smoke, let your carry farm, etc etc). Need to learn to play with minimal items and still be effective.

- If you can't stop something from happening, don't try. What I'm really getting at is defending towers, but this applies to saving allies or Roshan as well. If you see 3 people pushing your tower and you're alone...don't stick around trying to make something happen if it's a super low-percentage play. You dying + the tower falling is the likely outcome vs. just the tower falling. Needlessly dying accelerates the other team's snowball. No need to throw a cute little nuke and plan to run away if it isn't going to stop the tower from falling or killing a high priority target. Just let the tower fall and move on.

- Try and check the map as often as you can. This took awhile to get used to, but you need to glance at the mini-map and know where the enemy is as often as possible. During the laning phase especially, noticing that people are missing yourself should be your goal vs. depending on others to tell you people are missing. If you're lane is pushed out far and people aren't on the map...play with caution.

- Invisibility heroes during the laning phase should be countered early and often. If you're laning against a Bounty Hunter or Broodmother or Riki...etc etc...get sentries and place them strategically down the lane. They go from terrifying to manageable in these scenarios, and often you can kill them because they aren't used to having people detect them and get over-confident. Prioritize this over some other items if you can.

- Do not auto-attack creep waves pretty much ever (unless you're pushing). Generally, you want your creep wave as close to your own towers as possible. You attacking the creeps needlessly just pushes the lane further away, making your more exposed to enemy ganks. Keep the wave close, and if you take out the people in your lane, you can perhaps decide it's a good time to push.

- CARRY A TP SCROLL! ALWAYS! You should be blowing anywhere from 1000-2000g per game on TP scrolls. In the laning phase, a TP scroll could be the difference between you living or dying. A TP scroll could be the difference between your teammate getting ganked or surviving...or even counter-ganking the other team. If you don't have a TP scroll on you, you shouldn't feel good. Fun tip: If you have double-click casting enabled for items, double tapping your TP scroll will target your fountain and TP you there. Very fast escapes this way.

- Items: General rule of thumb is that if you're winning, save for game changing items (Heart, MKB, Abyssal...etc), if you're losing, spend your money on stat items (bracers, drums, ghost scepter, etc) to try and equalize the playing field. Lower your bar for target items (instead of a top tier item, target something more mid tier like a SnY, Drums, Halberd, Blade Mail). If the other team is starting to snowball, these stats or mid-tier items could be the equalizer you need to tip the scales in your favor before it's too late.

- Know the difference between long lane and safe lane. If you have your team's jungle next to the tower in your lane, you're in the safe lane. What this means is that the creep waves initially collides right near your tower, giving you a nice advantage early. On top of this, the enemy team is more easily ganked because you can have teammates pop out of your jungle and catch them from behind if they push up too far. If you're in the long lane, your goal is to A) not die and B) not die and C) sap as much last hits and gold as you can. If you need to miss entire creep waves of exp/gold to prevent pushing out too far, it's likely worth it than to die. You'll learn over time when you can take bigger risks in the long lane and which heroes do better there. You want your carry in the safe lane, and you want to send someone with them that can do a great job protecting them by either harassing the other team with ranged attacks/spammable abilities, or prevent/heal damage on the carry.

- Important timers: Runes spawn every 2 minutes on the 2 minute marker, regardless of when the last rune was picked up. A new rune won't spawn unless the previous was picked up. Roshan spawns 10 minutes after he dies. If you attack a camp of creeps and run away from them at the X:53 mark on the clock, that creep camp will get an additional group of creeps spawned there on top of the previous group you just pulled. This is great when you're farming up for extra gold or attempting a pull. (I won't get into pulling, but if you've got all this other stuff largely down, you should read up on pulling).

- Learn as much about enemy heroes as you possible can. While you're waiting for games to queue, check out the library tab and read up on abilities other heroes you're not so familiar with have. Not knowing what the enemy can do would easily be the difference between you feeding the whole game and you dominating the other hero.

...that's probably plenty to chew on.

+1. thanks.

elyetis

(Friendly reminder: Always stack the camps on easy lane when you want to pull the lane creeps into the jungle. If you don't; you'll actually push the lane to the enemies tower, which could be useful when you want to push down a tower)
I even prefer a double stack ( except when it's tri vs solo ) so that the ennemies have less time to try to contest the pull. It mean even slower xp for the support thought.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
- If you can't stop something from happening, don't try. What I'm really getting at is defending towers, but this applies to saving allies or Roshan as well. If you see 3 people pushing your tower and you're alone...don't stick around trying to make something happen if it's a super low-percentage play. You dying + the tower falling is the likely outcome vs. just the tower falling. Needlessly dying accelerates the other team's snowball. No need to throw a cute little nuke and plan to run away if it isn't going to stop the tower from falling or killing a high priority target. Just let the tower fall and move on.

- Do not auto-attack creep waves pretty much ever (unless you're pushing). Generally, you want your creep wave as close to your own towers as possible. You attacking the creeps needlessly just pushes the lane further away, making your more exposed to enemy ganks. Keep the wave close, and if you take out the people in your lane, you can perhaps decide it's a good time to push.

- CARRY A TP SCROLL! ALWAYS! You should be blowing anywhere from 1000-2000g per game on TP scrolls. In the laning phase, a TP scroll could be the difference between you living or dying. A TP scroll could be the difference between your teammate getting ganked or surviving...or even counter-ganking the other team. If you don't have a TP scroll on you, you shouldn't feel good. Fun tip: If you have double-click casting enabled for items, double tapping your TP scroll will target your fountain and TP you there. Very fast escapes this way.

I cannot overstate these three enough.

- If you're playing a support, support your team over helping yourself (get wards, get sentries, get dust, get smoke, let your carry farm, etc etc). Need to learn to play with minimal items and still be effective.

- Try and check the map as often as you can. This took awhile to get used to, but you need to glance at the mini-map and know where the enemy is as often as possible. During the laning phase especially, noticing that people are missing yourself should be your goal vs. depending on others to tell you people are missing. If you're lane is pushed out far and people aren't on the map...play with caution.

- Invisibility heroes during the laning phase should be countered early and often. If you're laning against a Bounty Hunter or Broodmother or Riki...etc etc...get sentries and place them strategically down the lane. They go from terrifying to manageable in these scenarios, and often you can kill them because they aren't used to having people detect them and get over-confident. Prioritize this over some other items if you can.

- Items: General rule of thumb is that if you're winning, save for game changing items (Heart, MKB, Abyssal...etc), if you're losing, spend your money on stat items (bracers, drums, ghost scepter, etc) to try and equalize the playing field. Lower your bar for target items (instead of a top tier item, target something more mid tier like a SnY, Drums, Halberd, Blade Mail). If the other team is starting to snowball, these stats or mid-tier items could be the equalizer you need to tip the scales in your favor before it's too late.

- Know the difference between long lane and safe lane. If you have your team's jungle next to the tower in your lane, you're in the safe lane. What this means is that the creep waves initially collides right near your tower, giving you a nice advantage early. On top of this, the enemy team is more easily ganked because you can have teammates pop out of your jungle and catch them from behind if they push up too far. If you're in the long lane, your goal is to A) not die and B) not die and C) sap as much last hits and gold as you can. If you need to miss entire creep waves of exp/gold to prevent pushing out too far, it's likely worth it than to die. You'll learn over time when you can take bigger risks in the long lane and which heroes do better there. You want your carry in the safe lane, and you want to send someone with them that can do a great job protecting them by either harassing the other team with ranged attacks/spammable abilities, or prevent/heal damage on the carry.

- Important timers: Runes spawn every 2 minutes on the 2 minute marker, regardless of when the last rune was picked up. A new rune won't spawn unless the previous was picked up. Roshan spawns 10 minutes after he dies. If you attack a camp of creeps and run away from them at the X:53 mark on the clock, that creep camp will get an additional group of creeps spawned there on top of the previous group you just pulled. This is great when you're farming up for extra gold or attempting a pull. (I won't get into pulling, but if you've got all this other stuff largely down, you should read up on pulling).

- Learn as much about enemy heroes as you possible can. While you're waiting for games to queue, check out the library tab and read up on abilities other heroes you're not so familiar with have. Not knowing what the enemy can do would easily be the difference between you feeding the whole game and you dominating the other hero.

...that's probably plenty to chew on.

I always shake my head when I see this happen in games. What? Your 100 point nuke is just going to magically one shot kill 3 heroes at full health that are all 2 levels ahead of you?

RubxQub

I even prefer a double stack ( except when it's tri vs solo ) so that the ennemies have less time to try to contest the pull. It mean even slower xp for the support thought.

About pulling: something that would be good to learn if you're already pretty solid at the standard stack/pull...is the ability to pull the nearby camp INTO the pulled camp just befor they die.

On the radiant side this is cake with the use of a single tango. If you don't have time to stack before a pull is needed, you can still kill off the whole creep wave by pulling down the medium camp above the primary pull camp.
Does does 'rr' mean when trading? I get that 1k = 1 key, but what does something like 5rr mean? Random rare?

Yep.

Okay, I finally got all the cards and just want to get rid of anything that reminds me of the pain of that long hard road. Anyone who NEEDS (not just go off and trade it for shit) S4 and Aui2000 are welcome to them for free.

fallout

I always shake my head when I see this happen in games. What? Your 100 point nuke is just going to magically one shot kill 3 heroes at full health that are all 2 levels ahead of you?
I don't think people are really thinking that deeply when they do it. It's an ingrained reactionary thing that has to be worked out of your system, probably.

Anteo

Yeah, for someone to try to contest a 3 man push on the tower by himself.. well you need to have a lot of experience on the game, know exactly what you want to do and do it fast. I have denied towers and got away with it in 3 man pushes, but is way too risky to try with most heroes and against most teams.

If you are losing the control of the game, your best option is to become agresive, go out as 5 and gank, you cant stay on base cause you will have little room to farm while the enemy can use the whole map, having much higher gold per minute than your team. However planning is needed for that, something that doens't always happen on pub games.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
How would I know if a character is meant to played as support, carry etc? The tutorial has really helped me so far but there seems to be so much you have to discover on your own, usually stuff that gets my team mates mad.

How was I supposed to know :(

The way I learned was quite effective I think: choose what hero you want to play before you start the game, read up on a guide on that hero (playdota.com) and play according to what the guide told you to do. Most of them even suggest good laning partners.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

This took me a while to learn, and I think it's because the only competitive multiplayer games I played prior to DOTA were first person shooters. In first person shooters there is always a chance that someone can make a big play, but in DOTA you just have to realize that sometimes you can't do shit.

RubxQub

I don't think people are really thinking that deeply when they do it. It's an ingrained reactionary thing that has to be worked out of your system, probably.

I hate to admit that I still do this from time to time, pretty much only when in my own base. I figure I've got the T4 towers at my back and they are so focused on getting the towers down that if I can maybe scare them away it's worth it.

...it's never worth it, and I've shook my head so many times over realizing I shouldn't have even attempted it.

Anteo

I hate to admit that I still do this from time to time, pretty much only when in my own base. I figure I've got the T4 towers at my back and they are so focused on getting the towers down that if I can maybe scare them away it's worth it.

...it's never worth it, and I've shook my head so many times over realizing I shouldn't have even attempted it.

Best case scenario: You deal some damage so the reviving heroes have a easier time defending.

What happens 99% of the time: Enemies initiate on you using all of their stuns. There is no one that can take advantage of that because everyone else is death.

I do it when I have a blink dagger or some other scape and they don't have any way to initiate that fast (so no blink on them for example): Nuke-> Run liek hell

F!ReW!Re

I'll be honest, I don't have that problem with towers, but with teammates.
Hate leaving people behind (although sometimes some people make stupid mistakes and you just can't save them)

Does feel good when you save them but most of the time you both die trying....

Tobe

Okay, I finally got all the cards and just want to get rid of anything that reminds me of the pain of that long hard road. Anyone who NEEDS (not just go off and trade it for shit) S4 and Aui2000 are welcome to them for free.
Can I have them I'm missing them both.

Yessir. The crab doesn't look that much different :/

I mostly just hope when the add the mammoth (which I really want) and that other thing, I just sort of get them right away, instead of dealing with more shit.

I kinda just want to pick up the crab dye as a trade chip at this point though I'm still 7 teams away from completing. And yeah..I want the mammoth too. I'm betting that Valve is going to make us jump through a ton of shit to get it too.

Anteo

I'll be honest, I don't have that problem with towers, but with teammates.
Hate leaving people behind (although sometimes some people make stupid mistakes and you just can't save them)

Does feel good when you save them but most of the time you both die trying....

You know what I hate? When I stay behind to slow the enemies down so teammates can escape. And the fucking carry with like 20% hp comes back "to save me"
I'm like "dude! you are the carry, im supposed to save you, just run away"

caesar

Banned

This, but if you don't do anything expect idiot teammates to ping the tower/you and be like 'wtf kotl why you not def?'

F!ReW!Re

You know what I hate? When I stay behind to slow the enemies down so teammates can escape. And the fucking carry with like 20% hp comes back "to save me"
I'm like "dude! you are the carry, im supposed to save you, just run away"

Yeah; people turning around with 200 hp and expect to actually win versus 3 full hp enemies. "Dude I'm fucking sacrificing myself here and you turn back and die too??"

Rage! ;-)

TGMIII

I kinda just want to pick up the crab dye as a trade chip at this point though I'm still 7 teams away from completing. And yeah..I want the mammoth too. I'm betting that Valve is going to make us jump through a ton of shit to get it too.

If you REALLY want the full player card list you could do this.

http://www.dota2wh.com/
Each of the player cards are 100 gold each. Trade some items away for gold, the bot will tell you how much gold each item is worth. If you don't have many items to trade buy 1 or 2 of the immortal yaks from the steam community market which are around £1.50/$3, they were selling last night for around 6K gold.

Me and two of my friends went from having one or two players to having it fully completed in an hour.

BeesEight

Just watch dota2wh.com all the time. They got shitload of player cards. S4 was one of the first I picked up.

I completed my two required teams, Quantic and DK, through the warehouse. Managed to pick up most of Alliance and Era too. Would highly recommend it for it's hassle free use assuming you have items it's will to take.

If you're just a lowly, unworthy item peasant like me and have a ton of commons no one wants it might be hard to find something the warehouse deems of value though.

Tbh, wouldn't mind joining a private game with some of the new guys, maybe touching on some different area's, some tips and doing some bot games.
Dunno if people are up for it.

I would highly recommend this. When I was first playing, I joined the reddit noobs lobbies (before smurfs ruined them) and found it an excellent place to learn. I even started doing some coaching myself which forced me to consider more aspects of the game than I normally would have from just playing.

Oh, I could really use...

Can I have them I'm missing them both.

Damnit, Tobe!

This, but if you don't do anything expect idiot teammates to ping the tower/you and be like 'wtf kotl why you not def?'

I don't like being yelled at but the more I play, the easier I find it to tune out people that don't say anything constructive, which is a vast majority of times. I do feel bad in games that I throw hard in though. Usually I'll apologize if I fuck up. Of course instead of "np..happens to everyone," I get "FUCK YOU..REPORT _______ for FEEDING"

If you REALLY want the full player card list you could do this.

http://www.dota2wh.com/
Each of the player cards are 100 gold each. Trade some items away for gold, the bot will tell you how much gold each item is worth. If you don't have many items to trade buy 1 or 2 of the immortal yaks from the steam community market which are around £1.50/$3, they were selling last night for around 6K gold.

Me and two of my friends went from having one or two players to having it fully completed in an hour.

I know about Dota2wh but didn't know about immortal yaks. I think I'm gonna do that. Shit's not worth my time to slowly hunt cards down.

F!ReW!Re

I would highly recommend this. When I was first playing, I joined the reddit noobs lobbies (before smurfs ruined them) and found it an excellent place to learn. I even started doing some coaching myself which forced me to consider more aspects of the game than I normally would have from just playing.

Yeah although I'm not top-tier like some of the folks on here, I guess I do have most of the basics down after +1500 hours ;-) Wouldn't mind giving some tips or do some basic pulling, laning or jungling plays in a private lobby...

I know about Dota2wh but didn't know about immortal yaks. I think I'm gonna do that. Shit's not worth my time to slowly hunt cards down.

I just traded 4 or so rare items and completed the full roster in a few hours, no need to buy the yak IMO...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got all my player cards stamped in the compendium! Woo!

Note: if you have LGD.cn cards, they are worth a lot on D2Lounge...Yao/Sylar/DDC especially. Keys/rares/etc.

I think Yao and DDC may have been the two that weren't dropping at first. They did take me forever to get.

Haunted

If I random a new hero, I always look for guides who have some text explanation going on under the items, the skills etc.

Take the time to read some before the game starts, and whenever you're dead. They are much more useful than the pure in-game descriptions.

I almost never pick or rate up a guide that doesn't have any explanations.

edit: also, if you're one of those guys raging in chat - "stop feeding" is probably the stupidest fucking advice I've ever read. It's like telling a guy who was shot to stop bleeding.

I think Yao and DDC may have been the two that weren't dropping at first. They did take me forever to get.

Yao for sure. LGD in general just seemed hard for me to come by (of course it had to be the team I needed).

Teams I'm currently missing
IG
Rattlesnake
Mousesports
Fnatic
Team Liquid
Orange
Quantic

Hopefully none of the rest are too bad. I could see IG being hard...

I just traded 4 or so rare items and completed the full roster in a few hours, no need to buy the yak IMO...

I traded 3 rares and that only yielded my about 18-19 cards. (Rares go anywhere between 400-800 at least the ones I have)

Could somebody break down what makes the lanes different, because essentially they're identical, right? I mean, obviously the middle lane has extra access to jungle and ganking, but I often hear how certain heroes are meant for certain lanes, and I'm wondering what characteristics those lanes have that lead to this.

Here's a good example for Brewmaster:
He fits well into any lane, but is very experience dependent, which means he is often seen on the offlane or the midlane.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yao for sure. LGD in general just seemed hard for me to come by (of course it had to be the team I needed).

IG
Rattlesnake
Mousesports
Fnatic
Team Liquid
Orange
Quantic

I traded 3 rares and that only yielded my about 18-19 cards. (Rares go anywhere between 400-800 at least the ones I have)
I had no cards for IG for the bulk of my time actively trying to fill my book, and then all 5 basically dropped into my lap within 10 minutes.

I just traded a Yak before the site's inventory reached max for the item. Bought for $2, get 6k points, easy solution.

Looks like the issue with VP is Crazy got in a Bar Fight.

JustinBB7

I guess the release helped, since there are tons of new people in this thread. Even with a stealth release :eek:

Hopefully 400k tonight.

(new hero should help Valve.. hint hint)

pmj

I've been playing bots to get reasonably competent before going online and ruin everyone's fun by sucking so much. What bot difficulty setting should you be able to beat before you might be good enough?

I'm sadly having a lot of trouble with the hard bots, they are really good at getting last hits and denying, leaving me underleveled almost immediately.

Also, I don't suppose there's a way to put an arrow over my head at all times? In big fights I often lose track of where I am in all of the units and effects.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Could somebody break down what makes the lanes different, because essentially they're identical, right? I mean, obviously the middle lane has extra access to jungle and ganking, but I often hear how certain heroes are meant for certain lanes, and I'm wondering what characteristics those lanes have that lead to this.

The top and bottom are slightly asymmetrical. For the Top Lane, the creeps will start closer to Dire's Tower, and for Bottom closer to Radiant. The lane with the creeps starting closer is called the short/easy lane. Each side also have better access to the jungle in the short lane, which can make it easier to sneak in and get kills on the enemy for each team, and allow for pulling the jungle creeps to where your creeps are to try and deny the gold and XP from the enemy completely.

TommyT

IG
Rattlesnake
Mousesports
Fnatic
Team Liquid
Orange
Quantic

Wow, I traded 2 rares and got just under 6k worth of gold. Plenty to fill my card buying needs. Saw my first Sylar, was able to pick it up. Anything LGD China and Navi go super quick on that site.

aaaaaand just missed the first Dendi I saw by a second.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just played as the disruptor for the first time and he is crazy fun
Need to work on my timing for his ring capture spell thing though

Arkanius

I have completed so many teams with dota2wh it's not even funny.
I have now unlocked the three colours on my Greevil.
Well, back to spamming F5

Looks like the issue with VP is Crazy got in a Bar Fight.
lol

Here's a good example for Brewmaster:

RVoEnLp.jpg

The lanes are not identical for each side. One lane is always on your side of the river, the easy or safe lane, and the other (that isn't mid obviously) goes across the river meaning it's easy for you to die. This is the hard or suicide lane.

If you're going to solo the offlane for instance you'll want someone with an escape for the most part, so you'll see stuff like windrunner or a dark seer a lot. Sometimes if you're not item dependent in the really early game you can just sit off and get solo xp, you'll sometimes see heroes like a bounty hunter or a tidehunter or something do that.

The safe, or easy, lane is usually where you want your hardest carry, or #1, as it is relatively hard to gank him there, the creep wave is on your side of the river, and it's easy to stack and pull to keep the wave back. Or just someone who you want to get farm and xp in general.

If you see a tri lane in a pub more often than not it will be on the safe lane because they can get behind anyone trying to get last hits on the creep wave very easily.

Obviously your safe lane is the enemy's hard and vice versa.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wow, I traded 2 rares and got just under 6k worth of gold. Plenty to fill my card buying needs. Saw my first Sylar, was able to pick it up. Anything LGD China and Navi go super quick on that site.

aaaaaand just missed the first Dendi I saw by a second.

Which two rare did you trade? The highest valued one I can think of is the Tiny Ice Skin, and that only nets like 1.5. Sure you didn't give Mythical at all?

KingKong

Man why are you guys trading your rares for cards unless you really need all 16 stamped, 8 teams should be super easy just from playing regularly (I have 6 teams already and I play ~12hrs a week)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom