• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
i don't understand how OD can outcarry there entire team.
Stats man, stats.

Iron_Branch_icon.png

wait, what was exploding?
After 89 minutes the map begins to fall apart and particles go crazy. Random bits of rock start falling from the sky and weird particles float all over. Valve never planned for matches this long and so some variables are not set up for this long o a game and the game starts falling apart

Haunted

At risk of being called a scrub, would someone please explain to me why GAF and most other communities are so against adding a concede option to the game? It makes nothing but good sense to me. Too many games I've played where defeat was inevitable and it only became a chore to finish the game out. No chance of comeback, no fun or enjoyment left to be had. Yet we have to flesh it out until the other team finally decides to stop chasing for kills and diving the fountain.
It's a divisive issue. Two camps - those who think the community can handle having the option in a mature manner and Valve will take measures to avoid its abuse, and those who think griefers and abusers would have a field day with it and it ultimately would cut down on the amount of comebacks in Dota 2.

Valve is going the compromise/probing route right now, having implemented an easily initiated and easily cancellable surrender option for tournament and training games.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
At risk of being called a scrub, would someone please explain to me why GAF and most other communities are so against adding a concede option to the game? It makes nothing but good sense to me. Too many games I've played where defeat was inevitable and it only became a chore to finish the game out. No chance of comeback, no fun or enjoyment left to be had. Yet we have to flesh it out until the other team finally decides to stop chasing for kills and diving the fountain.

Alright, GAF. Come at me.

P.S. Hopin' for Legion Commander soon. After her, I hope they begin work on Ember Spirit. I know all you fellas want Techies, but I want that fire-dancing panda.

People will start spamming that concede button after the first blood, then people will report you for not agreeing with the concede. People will concede after the first rax is lost, while the enemy still has towers. People will concede because their Ursa is "far too farmed". People will concede because Enigma hit one good black hole. Comebacks will be rarer, especially the big ones.If you are a 5 man stack, you can concede by leaving all at the same time. So there's that at least.

It creates a defeatist attitude. Yes, sometimes you will be fountain camped, but honestly, in the 1000 games I've played, a really long fountain camp has happened 2 times probably. The rest is 5 minutes most. I don't care, I can alt tab, I buy shadowblade and hide somewhere, or blink dagger.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
i don't understand how OD can outcarry there entire team.

Dark Sear just copied the enemy team twice. ez.

After 89 minutes the map begins to fall apart and particles go crazy. Random bits of rock start falling from the sky and weird particles float all over. Valve never planned for matches this long and so some variables are not set up for this long o a game and the game starts falling apart

I don't think its always at that exact minute mark, but in long games the particles effects system just breaks.

They shouldn't add concede, but they should incentivise players to finish games more quickly (BP?). Nearly every time I lose, there's a protracted period where the enemy team flies to Barbados on holiday, hikes up the Andes, takes down our bottom barracks, cycles around France and then finally decide to take top barracks and win the game.

How about once racks are down or some other qualifying condition , the winning team gets less XP the longer the game goes.. So if you fountain camp and let the game draw out, you lose out on XP..

This happens all the time. I love it when it happens in a bot match. Guy goes 50-0 with Drow because he decides to fountain camp. Game ends..."Commend plz"

At the same time, I've noticed that people nowadays are more judicious with their commends nowadays.

Was a Drow player on mine too lol.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Out of curiosity.. how many people actually commend when someone does good/communicates well, regardless of if they ask and how many only do when someone asks?

I do. If we have a really good victory and its because one or more of my teammates played intelligently, talked and communicated, and generally played a coordinated game I always commend.

Randdalf

How about once racks are down or some other qualifying condition , the winning team gets less XP the longer the game goes.. So if you fountain camp and let the game draw out, you lose out on XP..

That changes the mechanics of the game though, why should you get punished for winning?

Match making in this game just gets worse and worse.

English WEU only solo queue (matched in about 1:30)

carry rubrik smashes Drow mid, and Jakiro builds attack speed first, 14-1 in the first 10 minutes.... (cant bitch about disparity in lvl however, these sukckers have at least played enough games to know better)

Dota is a far better game than LoL but if it never takes off properly, cant compete with the evenish games i had in LoL

Rant

Seriously, who the fuck designed Abbadon to make him almost invunerable 1v1 or 2x1? A shield and an OP ulti that heals almost to full health? Fuck him.

/Rant

That changes the mechanics of the game though, why should you get punished for winning?

You end it fast enough with whatever parameters they define, you don't get penalized. Plus it's a soft penalty that doesn't carry over to the next match but hard enough for people to stop fountain camping for 15 min

So me and my friend were going to try this after not playing for months, and when we did it was for 3 games only and we got wrecked. I figure we'd start an Easy bot match, any classes to recommend? He likes support stuff and I like melee damage characters, preferably with some sort of lifesteal or heal.

Randdalf

You end it fast enough with whatever parameters they define, you don't get penalized. Plus it's a soft penalty that doesn't carry over to the next match but hard enough for people to stop fountain camping for 15 min

Oh, I thought you were talking about in-game xp not battle points, apologies.

elyetis

So me and my friend were going to try this after not playing for months, and when we did it was for 3 games only and we got wrecked. I figure we'd start an Easy bot match, any classes to recommend? He likes support stuff and I like melee damage characters, preferably with some sort of lifesteal or heal.
Support is kind of vast ( thought i think keeper of the light could be a good advise as an starter support since you can easily get gold, and don't have mana problem, crystal maiden too ), but for "melee damage characters, preferably with some sort of lifesteal" the obvious answer would be Life stealer ( and also skeleton king ).

Valve delaying the patch so we can get LC + Techies, so nice of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom