• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Man when I queue with my mate who's on very high, we always get some kind of flamer on our team. This time it was a lion who demanded to go mid because he said "meepo won't do shit against huskar mid", when our meepo needed mid for fast 6 to jungle.

I love my lower bracket community. Everyone's so nice :3

BHK3

Banned
Man when I queue with my mate who's on very high, we always get some kind of flamer on our team. This time it was a lion who demanded to go mid because he said "meepo won't do shit against huskar mid", when our meepo needed mid for fast 6 to jungle.

Meepo against zeus is good, Meepos higher magic resistance lets him survive better and plus he can just net and then poof for like half of zeus' hp.

gillFTR

Lion can't do much against new huskar either

shira

Lost in for crazy? lost better than rtz mid? Oh dendiboss

Vp should have to play a 3-way with quantum and rattlesnake.

pmj

I finally decided to play my first online game, as part of the tutorial, and just got stomped. One of the players on the other team got to level 25, I finished at level 12. 40-50 minutes of concentrated un-fun. Last ten minutes our base was basically open to them and they just fucked around doing nothing, presumably just to drag it out and maybe grind out that final level.

Also, how does chat work? I don't have a microphone and didn't hear anyone talk over my speakers. Is that supposed to happen? I tried using the text chat but nobody said anything.

I finally decided to play my first online game, as part of the tutorial, and just got stomped. One of the players on the other team got to level 25, I finished at level 12. 40-50 minutes of concentrated un-fun. Last ten minutes our base was basically open to them and they just fucked around doing nothing, presumably just to drag it out and maybe grind out that final level.

Also, how does chat work? I don't have a microphone and didn't hear anyone talk over my speakers. Is that supposed to happen? I tried using the text chat but nobody said anything.

Press enter - anything you type will be communicated to your team mates.

Holding shift then pressing enter - all chat.

If you hold Y you can choose from a selected number of phrases to communicate to people.

Most people don't communicate early on I reckon.

Also, being base camped is a part of the game, people like to pad their stats/farm big items rather than end and go onto the next match.

pmj

Voice chat, though? If people on my team were using it, should I hear them over my speakers even if I don't have a microphone connected and set up?

Voice chat, though? If people on my team were using it, should I hear them over my speakers even if I don't have a microphone connected and set up?

Yes you should be able to hear them over your speakers.

An icon will appear on the right above the bottom right corner, with the colour, icon and name of person talking I think.

elyetis

Tell me something
If there was a concede option

Would this video ever exist? (I know it's old but it's always good to remember)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yhH4NdB2JxE

It wouldn't.
Depend if people the people against the concede option only have the will power of a 5 year's old before a candy, and can't stop themself from using it if it's there. And depend if at least one player in the team would still have their 1 concede per week ( ! ) for that match and called it at a point where the 4 other would have agreed.

But it's good to know that thousands and thousands of people wasting their time did lead to one good youtube video, that was worth it. At least we have something to watch when we get fountain camped.

Depend if people the people against the concede option only have the will power of a 5 year's old before a candy, and can't stop themself from using it if it's there. And depend if at least one player in the team would still have their 1 concede per week ( ! ) for that match and called it at a point where the 4 other would have agreed.

But it's good to know that thousands and thousands of people wasting their time did lead to one good youtube video, that was worth it. At least we have something to watch when we get fountain camped.

i dont even

F!ReW!Re

You've clearly not played LoL, where one setback during a match results in people going for the surrender option...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
XmnPOlZ.jpg

Don't be mean to bounch, guys

Why even have the system if you're going to put in that kind of restriction.

The problem stems from the fact that people will abuse the surrender option because a SHIT TON of people have defeatist attitudes. Losing is demoralizing... losing a big team fight is demoralizing... the other team getting Roshan right under your nose is demoralizing. You're playing support and you've died 10 times - demoralized. Suddenly that surrender button looks mighty tempting even though you haven't lost yet. There are far too many negatives to adding a surrender option than positives.

I'm sorry you feel like you're time is being wasted but you have to understand that comebacks do happen and they happen often. In any case this argument has been killed to death and you shouldn't get so salty over it. Try to understand our point of view before spouting off nonsensical bullet points - it will only make you look foolish.

Boken

Banned
You've clearly not played LoL, where one setback during a match results in people going for the surrender option...

have you?
because that doesnt happen

alt response:
youve clearly not played dota where one setback during a match results in people afk/leaving

M.D

Hey GAF, I've been playing for about a week with 2 other lovely gaffers that help and teach me everything, but it would be great to know even more people ;p

If you'd like to play with me, send me a PM and we'll catch up
I'm still a beginner but I'm not that terrible.... honest! I swear!
(I think)

Bleeether

Hey GAF, I've been playing for about a week with 2 other lovely gaffers that help and teach me everything, but it would be great to know even more people ;p

If you'd like to play with me, send me a PM and we'll catch up
I'm still a beginner but I'm not that terrible.... honest! I swear!
(I think)

Hi, im kinda new too. Add me Kalistro (steam name) i would love to play

have you?

alt response:
youve clearly not played dota where one setback during a match results in people afk/leaving

I've played >1200 matches of League and it does happen. Every third match (at least) people spam surrender when the game isn't even over. I've had so many matches in that game end after one bad team fight (when we were ahead the entire game) because our team just instantly gave up. It's so bad now that it's a rare game where you get to kill the other teams ancient.

Also it rarely happens that people go afk/leave in Dota due to the negative effects (low priority/mute). I've probably only had it happen about 20 times during my 1900 hours played of dota 2. In league they go afk or just wait until 15 mins and start spamming surrender.

In the beginning I selected the keymap that made wasd my camera controls. Now I'm wondering what the command is to attack my own creeps (deny). Everybody says it's "A", but that doesn't work for me any more. The only attack command I can find in settings is Attack Move, which doesn't do the same thing.

In the beginning I selected the keymap that made wasd my camera controls. Now I'm wondering what the command is to attack my own creeps (deny). Everybody says it's "A", but that doesn't work for me any more. The only attack command I can find in settings is Attack Move, which doesn't do the same thing.

Attack->Move should be the same thing

Boken

Banned
well im convinced

I've played >1200 matches of League and it does happen. Every third match (at least) people spam surrender when the game isn't even over. I've had so many matches in that game end after one bad team fight (when we were ahead the entire game) because our team just instantly gave up. It's so bad now that it's a rare game where you get to kill the other teams ancient.

Also it rarely happens that people go afk/leave in Dota due to the negative effects (low priority/mute). I've probably only had it happen about 20 times during my 1900 hours played of dota 2. In league they go afk or just wait until 15 mins and start spamming surrender.
nope

ksan

It's not working that way for me. Attack Move (turns my cursor red with the red arrow) and then clicking on my creep doesn't attack it, it just attacks the closest enemy creep.

Unless for some reason do they have deny disabled in the tutorials?

are you sure the creeps have less than 50% hp when you do it? cause attack move command is the same as attack command

It's not working that way for me. Attack Move (turns my cursor red with the red arrow) and then clicking on my creep doesn't attack it, it just attacks the closest enemy creep.

Unless for some reason do they have deny disabled in the tutorials?

Hmmm, the creep has to be low health (<30%) for you to be able to do it - are you trying to deny when he's above that amount?

I played three summoners rift games last night and two ended in surrender. So people surrender 66% of the time

Anecdotal evidence only takes you so far - I get the point you're trying to make. However that's all people are throwing around these days and I would take the opinion of someone who's played 1000 matches over the one who's played three. I'm an expert.

elyetis

Why even have the system if you're going to put in that kind of restriction.
Same could be said about the report and mute option, yet valve clearly stated number proved it give good result. Such restriction give the best of the 2 world, you can't say you won't have comeback anymore ( except if everyone begin to play only one game per week... ), yet, it's enough to avoid some of those sure loose game you know are gonna drag ( very rare if that thread is representative, so you don't need to be able to concede 10 times a week ). Heck you could even tune the thing a little with an extra concede if your last concede was successfull ( 4 other teammate voted yes ), and you wouldn't receive the next week concede if you call for one and 3 player actually vote no ).

It came as incisive because it's by far not the only time I see a post like that, which I could resume to "hey a comeback happened, so concede can't be an option because valve would allow you to concede in every match, you couldn't vote no to a concede vote, you could concede 30 secondes after the game begun, and I can throw post like that every day, but if opposing argument begin then we will have people going don't speak about it volvo won't add it".

I'm pretty sure we could have read the same thing about the mute report if people had suggested that player with weekly limited report, could make you be muted, before valve actually did it.

For a gaming forum I find very sad to have people go for 'if a game couldn't make it work for my taste, other devellopers should never try something similar even if improved because it can only mean it can't work at all'. Don't make Dota 2 F2P volvo it could only mean we would have to spend money on hero and rune.

I want data. I want Riot tell tell me what percent of games end in surrender.

But it doesn't seem like that's how Riot rolls. They don't say a whole lot in the nitty gritty with their game. Not a whole lot of public numbers.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Stop using WASD for camera movement and start using the mouse.

Seriously, WASD camera controls are the devil

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Anecdotal evidence only takes you so far - I get the point you're trying to make. However that's all people are throwing around these days and I would take the opinion of someone who's played 1000 matches over the one who's played three. I'm an expert.
Wins 502
Losses 474

I've played 976!

Only 24 more until I'm an expert

F!ReW!Re

have you?

alt response:

Neither have you, apparently.

Whatever, the community is split on it, and it's not in now. No need to rock the boat.

Yes I have played LoL, not as much say Freakinchair but a decent amount. (Mind you this was atleast 1,5 year ago, but I doubt much has changed) and tbh I've seen people spam that surrender button when things go south (even within 10 minutes), ofcourse you need multiple people to surrender but it does encourage the defeatist attitude.

I don't need that shit in dota.

Yes I have played LoL, not as much say Freakinchair but a decent amount. (Mind you this was atleast 1,5 year ago, but I doubt much has changed) and tbh I've seen people spam that surrender button when things go south (even within 10 minutes), ofcourse you need multiple people to surrender but it does encourage the defeatist attitude.

I don't need that shit in dota.

I think it's literally impossible to call for a surrender that early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom