• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

So looking at Nate Silver's prediction spreadsheet of heroes that will or won't be picked during TI3, I'm seeing these 9 listed with a less than 5% chance.

Bloodseeker
Bristleback
Skeleton King
Sniper
Death Prophet
Drow Ranger
Skywrath Mage
Witch Doctor
Zeus

And I think it's pretty funny that I'm seeing at least three of those picked in every other pub match in the low skill bracket (Sniper, Drow, Zeus).

I have no experience with Bristleback and Skywrath, but I wonder why Witch Doctor and Death Prophet are considered low-tier heroes.

Interesting stuff in any case.

LLQ0nVp.jpg

Well fuck, I guess there's no reason to post anymore.

Brick

So, it took me about 15 games, but I finally won one.

I'm starting to think that I may not be any good at this game.

SamVimes

So I had a Shadow Fiend who pretty much carried my team last night. I've never seen the build before. He didn't start putting a point in Shadowraze till the rest of his moves were maxed out. He completely tore up middle and our late game. Anyone else see a SF build this way?
Yes, thrice. Luckily every time he was in the opposite team mid, i went against him and i was able to tear his shit up and snowball off his ass build.

edit: actually now that i think about it i went twice against him mid, the other time i was just camping him as Shadow Demon, getting his aura with a disruption was pretty sweet..

So looking at Nate Silver's prediction spreadsheet of heroes that will or won't be picked during TI3, I'm seeing these 9 listed with a less than 5% chance.

Bloodseeker
Bristleback
Skeleton King
Sniper
Death Prophet
Drow Ranger
Skywrath Mage
Witch Doctor
Zeus

And I think it's pretty funny that I'm seeing at least three of those picked in every other pub match in the low skill bracket (Sniper, Drow, Zeus).

I have no experience with Bristleback and Skywrath, but I wonder why Witch Doctor and Death Prophet are considered low-tier heroes.

Interesting stuff in any case.

Wait, the political statistician nate silver?

TommyT

I'm only missing two cards:

xiao8 and Yao
I've never seen them drop once and I'm out of cards for 1:1 trade

fml

dota2wh.com - trade in a few items to get 200gold (REALLY easy) and buy them at 100g a piece when they pop. Xiao8 is rather common; but Yao not so much.

KingKong

so I don't know much about Dota 2 WH, but are there any hidden fees or anything that would prevent someone from doing this:

- buy stumpy courier for ~$2.50 on marketplace
- get 10k gold from Dota 2 WH
- buy mountain yak for 6.5k gold
- sell mountain yak for ~$2.50 on marketplace
- spend your free 3.5k Dota 2 WH gold on cards or whatever

Yao is incredibly rare for some reason.

so I don't know much about Dota 2 WH, but are there any hidden fees or anything that would prevent someone from doing this:

- buy stumpy courier for ~$2.50 on marketplace
- get 10k gold from Dota 2 WH
- buy mountain yak for 6.5k gold
- sell mountain yak for ~$2.50 on marketplace
- spend your free 3.5k Dota 2 WH gold on cards or whatever

Dota 2 WH isn't taking anymore of those two couriers and you never get full value for items as DOTA2 WH always takes a substantial cut.

Arkanius

dota2wh.com - trade in a few items to get 200gold (REALLY easy) and buy them at 100g a piece when they pop. Xiao8 is rather common; but Yao not so much.

Oh yeah, i got duplicate rares from the last match.
I used dota2wh for completing most of my Compendium but ran out of duplicates.

Done, just missing Yao now. Time to F5 again

smiggyRT

Finished up my first 2 games against real players. Is it usual for team mates to just stop playing? Happened in both games.

Needless to say I have 0 wins.

Hylian7

Just checked the replay, yeah it looks like that Mobius guy did all the work. Really smart plays by him. Good thing he got a mythical announcer out of all that too :D

Huehuehue

Thinking about it, Razor is actually a really good Riki counter now, since he doesn't lose static link on someone he loses vision on. Also good against a Slark too.

Well, looks like we might get an update straight to the main client today.

SteamDB has spotted another dedicated server update for the main client: http://steamdb.info/app/580/#section_history[1]
An update is likely. If one does come, it will likely be after the CGS match.
This early warning is based off of a spotted dedicated server update
Because Dota 2 and its test client do not have any dedicated mailing list for update warnings, this is the next best indicator of updates
Usually, with other Valve games, a dedicated server often updates before the client, with notice being given in some ecosystems before then (such as TF2's)
This is a warning that an update that an update is likely to hit for clients based on a dedicated server update. The main client's DS has a good hit rate, though it isn't perfect.
Valid until 10:30 PM CDT on 7/26/13 or when main client updates (whichever comes sooner)
The current best ETA is when the CGS match ends

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1j4apg/early_warning_for_update_dota_2_main_client_72613/

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
You're a random nobody. No one cares if you played in the first ever tournament of some game, that's when the meta is at its weakest and no one knows what they're doing. So basically you just admitted to bowing out of the pro scene as soon as people got good. Same with dota; no one gives a shit that you played the original dota, the game has evolved so much since then that regular pubs are better than the pros from back in dota 1.

You'll be a not-random somebody when you actually make some progress in the current scene for either game. But no one will care if you're a league pubstar because it's a dota thread.

6vcj.gif

Well, looks like we might get an update straight to the main client today.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1j4apg/early_warning_for_update_dota_2_main_client_72613/

COME ON NEW SF MODEL

aeolist

Banned
i don't really feel like i get anything out of low level mm even though i always group up and never solo queue. it just seems like playing against other people who suck isn't really going to teach me anything useful.

it'd be neat to see some kind of dedicated mode for people new at the game to match up with higher-level groups.

nesmar

Playing solo matchmaking is starting to wear on my soul, might have to join you guys. What's the general skill level in this thread? Seems pretty varied. I would say I'm above average, but I have my low points :eek:

http://dotabuff.com/players/29730823/matches

I need to learn a support and how to farm a radiance in less than 20...

edit: nice OP btw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom