• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Today's learned counter: Earthshaker makes Silencer's life miserable. The range on that stun means that unless you literally are never within 1300 units of any fog you can get stunned and then chainstunned and be unable to do anything to react. I think I got global silence off once

Hylian7

Player card update, I'm about to trade with someone for Dendi, and now all I need is EGM from Alliance. Dota 2 warehouse doesn't have it.

Boken

Banned
Today's learned counter: Earthshaker makes Silencer's life miserable. The range on that stun means that unless you literally are never within 1300 units of any fog you can get stunned and then chainstunned and be unable to do anything to react. I think I got global silence off once

basically he makes any squishy's life miserable then.

I just popped on the LoL stream and they're talking about MYM.

Longstanding and legendary Dota 1 team and failed Dota 2 team now a league of legends team, pretty heartbreaking.

you are basically
insane

NBtoaster

What's a good time to get midas as Nature's Prophet? I usually get it around 8 minutes but I don't know if that's slow or not. I start with a Basilius and 2 clarities. Is it better to start with a glove of haste?

Vaporak

guy is a smurf who's full of shit and doesn't understand that hidden mmr changes a lot more quickly during your first games

or maybe he's just plain dishonest with an agenda and just wants to have time to stomp more games with his smurfs

If he smurfed and won games that would be one thing, then the MM would have an idea he's a smurf. But he had 1 win...

ksan

If he smurfed and won games that would be one thing, then the MM would have an idea he's a smurf. But he had 1 win...

so you don't understand how the mm works I assume?
if you go 30/0/x in your first game, you'll probably be matched up with people in the high bracket next game
i bet i could make 10 smurfs and be in very high within 3-4 games on every single one of them, it's just how it works

edit: oh shit, found the dotabuff, http://dotabuff.com/players/139189810
i think it proves my point that he's totally full of shit, maybe even a case could be made for allowing even more higherbound variation when getting extreme results in your first games

Anteo

Before the spells rework, I feelt that Silencer was a good counter to Earthshaker. The old aura that silenced anyone after casting a skill destroyed earthshaker combo. He could jump and ult but he would get silenced automatically. But I agree now.

Love Dazzle. I have literally saved so many asses. I dont get as many kills but people seem shocked when you pull them out of the junk. Great feeling and a fantastic hero.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I've never actually thought about why people dread bad Techies so much.

Is it just stacking tons of mines on top of each other or blowing themselves up at terrible times or everything?

A good techies on the other team makes you want to quit the game (10% of techies players) and a bad techies on your team (90% of techies players) makes you also want to quit the game. It's a lose, lose situation. He's the most annoying hero in the game when played to both extremes.

shira

http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2/news/24967-eswc-qualifiers-to-begin-on-the-4th-of-august

ESWC begins qualifiers on August 4th. They must have the same scheduling genius as Blizzard.
RalphWiggum.gif

Dat throw weaver. Is he getting a tryout with EG

A good techies on the other team makes you want to quit the game (10% of techies players) and a bad techies on your team (90% of techies players) makes you also want to quit the game. It's a lose, lose situation. He's the most annoying hero in the game when played to both extremes.
I don't suppose there's a middle ground at all?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just downloaded DOTA tonight and played my first game (a win!). Is there a good hero for a newbie like me? ;)

Lich. Low execution easy to learn hero with high potential impact and low responsibility.

I love Windrunner but holy shit her damage is wayyy too low. I know shes more of a support character but Powershot should do more damage since its like the only ult she has. And I think the Ulti is only useful for towers.

shira

You have a dude that suicides. Think of that in the hands of the dumbest and best players you have seen.

I love Windrunner but holy shit her damage is wayyy too low. I know shes more of a support character but Powershot should do more damage since its like the only ult she has. And I think the Ulti is only useful for towers.
Graduate to hero targetting with ult.
Forcestaff chase + windrun
Maelstrom

Haly

Power shot deals 120 damage at level 1 for 90 mana and 360 at level 4 for 120 mana. This is way above average for a non-ult nuke.

She also has 50 base damage and an additional 2.6 damage per level, paired with one of the best attack animations in the game

Power shot deals 120 damage at level 1 for 90 mana and 360 at level 4 for 120 mana. This is way above average for a non-ult nuke.

She also has 50 base damage and an additional 2.6 damage per level, paired with one of the best attack animations in the game

Maybe Im just used to Lina... most of the time my Powershots cant do shit mid-late game lol theyre better used for runners with low health.

Haly

Well she's not a hard nuker like Lina. A comparison like that doesn't really make sense.

It's like saying "I like Sniper but he's so vulnerable, he needs a escape like Clinkz".

WR, as a support, is a lot more combat oriented and not about doing 1500 damage with her spells.

Maybe Im just used to Lina... most of the time my Powershots cant do shit mid-late game lol theyre better used for runners with low health.
Well. Do what I do. Focus on maxing powershot first because it does a lot of damage early on, and shift to more of a support role later with shackle and scythe of vyse/Eul.

Anteo

Fighting against a techies is a yes/no question. Can you find and counter all of his mines? Yes/No?

If Yes he is useless.

If No (due to smart positioning + good team forcing you to go back towards the mines) then he will get kills left and right

Also, Tiny can use him as a 1500 damage granade. "Fire in the hole"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No seriously, after two months of blissfully trash-talk free games I've had at least one asshole in like every single game I've played in the last week. What, is it not enough that I have to get smacked down with a losing streak, the game thinks I deserve verbal abuse as well?

Dreavus

Pub Lone Druid players never fail to suck.

If you can get a player that knows how to farm, sometimes it's possible for the team to hold it together until they are out of control items-wise. Kind of like an Anti-mage.

If they just call jungle and don't know what they're doing, then yeah I agree haha

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Power Shot is pretty good early on if you start pumping points into that quickly, actually. Its damage falls off late game, but is still useful for scouting ahead. Always throw that out if you want some vision.

I agree that Shackleshot is her real trump card too. Get Force Staff and blink enemies out of position and Shackle. It's a ridiculously good combo.

Card Boy

Banned
Pub Lone Druid players never fail to suck.

Unfortunaly the failure works the other way aswell. Everytime i do good as LD in a pub, my team mates fail hard at the tri-lane or just feed like crazy anyway. I'm convinced Australian DOTA players are the biggest nitwits on the planet.

So how do you teach someone to support?

He's been playing forever, and he still doesn't get it.

You are a support, you need to buy wards and shit. Why are you farming right now. No, you don't need insert whatever item here, we need wards. You are not a carry. You are crystal maiden. We already have PL and AM. Please ward. Please.

It's so frustrating. We play with him all the time and he doesn't understand it at all. He won't stack or pull. He won't ward. He won't counterward.

Sometimes he might remember to up the courier though so hey it's not all bad I guess.

I tried to show him a replay where I was super hard support, had brown boots at like 15 mins, and had all the wards sold out, but he just doesn't get it. At all.

Boken

Banned
No seriously, after two months of blissfully trash-talk free games I've had at least one asshole in like every single game I've played in the last week. What, is it not enough that I have to get smacked down with a losing streak, the game thinks I deserve verbal abuse as well?
Welcome to public release
Unfortunaly the failure works the other way aswell. Everytime i do good as LD in a pub, my team mates fail hard at the tri-lane or just feed like crazy anyway. I'm convinced Australian DOTA players are the biggest nitwits on the planet.
I am Australian, can confirm that I am a big nitwit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom