• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
How high will it gooooooooooo

nQQr1MH.jpg

Ultimatum

Banned
got two precursor bloodstones across my two accounts, what does this mean

450,000 is the cap, right?

They said capacity has been increased by 450k. Let's assume current capacity recently was 300k (explains the shitty servers) then new capacity is 750k.

hamchan

I still can't believe the lackluster launch so far. I don't get why they released if they don't have anything significant to add. Surely it would make sense to release a new awesome launch trailer, give some cool immortal cosmetic to beta players and then have an event?

I want moar! :(

This. Especially with the reach and money Valve have, I expected more marketing. They didn't even put a splash banner or give the game any notice on the front of the Steam store. Feels very intentional that they're not giving much attention to the launch but why would they do that?

Phandy

Übermatik;69336106 said:
What the fuck is this, I'm in tears...

Heroes of Newerth player (then streamer) called Jiggle Billy, played pretty much nothing by Devourer (Pudge). Recorded shit and made some videos. Shit is hilarious; summed up the atmosphere of HoN for me, Big plays and trash talking.

He's also has the best Devourer/Pudge plays I've ever seen.

Theres 4 devourer videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/HonRPG/videos?shelf_index=4&view=0&sort=p

I was wondering if anyone knew the solution to a problem my friends having. I'm trying to get him to play Dota 2 but he keeps dc'ing from Dota 2 every 4-5 minutes. We've tried other games too and it seems to happen on multiple Steam titles (such as SF4, L4D2, Dark Souls etc). However, this problem has never occurred to him on non-steam titles, such as League of Legends.

A cursory search tells me it might be something related to packet loss? We've tried a bunch of possible fixes but nothing works.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
While the game is launched they still don't want everyone jumping in and possibly breaking the system, they'll start to market it once they're comfortable with how things are going.

Dota2 Dispenser gave out like 80k keys: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zombine/

Up to 330k just now, maybe hit 400k today.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This. Especially with the reach and money Valve have, I expected more marketing. They didn't even put a splash banner or give the game any notice on the front of the Steam store. Feels very intentional that they're not giving much attention to the launch but why would they do that?

Others have touched on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to avoid the negative consumer experience of "servers overloaded"

Interfectum

Soft launch. Make sure they don't disrupt the current player base as they slowly open the floodgates for new players.

The game is already Valve's most popular game ever and consistently the #1 played game on Steam so their concern is server stability not public awareness (what marketing is for).

dc89

I want to get Into this, but I'll be restricted if playing on my bros PC as they don't make a Mac client yet :(

Anyway, I did the first tutorial this morning then thought oh I get this and went straight into a game. Massive mistake. Massive.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The full game starts out with this.

Is it possible to skip this process ? My mate already knows all this stuff...

You can do:

sv_cheats 1
host_timescale 5

That'll make everything go 5x faster.

Sibylus

Banned
I was wondering if anyone knew the solution to a problem my friends having. I'm trying to get him to play Dota 2 but he keeps dc'ing from Dota 2 every 4-5 minutes. We've tried other games too and it seems to happen on multiple Steam titles (such as SF4, L4D2, Dark Souls etc). However, this problem has never occurred to him on non-steam titles, such as League of Legends.

A cursory search tells me it might be something related to packet loss? We've tried a bunch of possible fixes but nothing works.
Sounds like he needs to forward the ports that Steam uses: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Raxus

Dat tutorial was legit. I can see how it's bothersome for the vets though.

Annoying but necessary considering how many newbies ignore the tutorial and have no idea how to last hit in the game.

I really wish they put in a deny tutorial and a losing game scenario as well. Even I'd appreciate that.

I still don't get why they released this officially with such little fanfare. Server capacity is one thing but you still want people flooding the queue.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I still don't get why they released this officially with such little fanfare. Server capacity is one thing but you still want people flooding the queue.

I guess they will start the advertising for Dota 2 slowly instead of with a big bang. Maybe banners on the Steam frontpage along with the Summer Sale tomorrow.

Then start ads on popular gaming sites.

what does the tutorial teach?

like basic laning and support stuff like don't autoattack, buying wards helps, carries need farm, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom