• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 1400 hours of Dota and I've never felt less deserving of a win.

v6bXW5S.jpg

Wow, how is Centaur still not in Captain's mode? Honestly if they wanted to really nerf him, they would make double edge weaker. That move is crazily powerful early on.
Centaur (and Troll) have the makings to change the meta a lot. Centaur is probably a high tier hero, incredibly powerful. I think it's for this reason they weren't added. Nobody cares about Skywrath or Bristle being new and in CM mode, they're not picked often enough and were obviously not going to upset the meta much. But Centaur and Troll have the making to do so. Centaur adds mobility to the entire game, and Troll makes for huge pushes. Both of these are important right now.

I fully expect a week or two after TI3 for Troll, Centaur, Abaddon and Elder Titan to be in CM mode. And I also expect the meta to change near instantly to accommodate these heroes.

Hugstable

Banned
I've had Dota 2 for almost a year or so now and used to play a tiny bit of the WC3 mod back in like 2006-2007, but it wasn't until just this week that I finally got into the Dota game style and want to learn to play. I'm still currently doing the tutorial in game playing the 5 matches against bots and I haven't lost yet, but I watch a few videos online and I'm scared I'm going to do horrible for my team because I see some players moving alot faster than I can even hope too.

Is it too late for someone pretty new like me to join and learn DOTA? The next step after one more full bot match on the tutorial is playing a real online match with a limited pool of heroes. Should I just be playing against more bots or such? I'm glad I found this topic though, got some stuff to read through in the newbie section link.

shira

I've had Dota 2 for almost a year or so now and used to play a tiny bit of the WC3 mod back in like 2006-2007, but it wasn't until just this week that I finally got into the Dota game style and want to learn to play. I'm still currently doing the tutorial in game playing the 5 matches against bots and I haven't lost yet, but I watch a few videos online and I'm scared I'm going to do horrible for my team because I see some players moving alot faster than I can even hope too.

Is it too late for someone pretty new like me to join and learn DOTA? The next step after one more full bot match on the tutorial is playing a real online match with a limited pool of heroes. Should I just be playing against more bots or such? I'm glad I found this topic though, got some stuff to read through in the newbie section link.

You should be trying to find some people to play with whether it be real life friends/dotagaf/anyone who speaks your language. Just solo queuing is a nightmare at the momnt. Even those limited pool games are filled with a lot of really bad people who want to fuck over noobies.

BeesEight

I assume you got owned at mid right?

That's normal against an OD player who knows his shit.

Oh definitely.

To be fair, the fact our Centaur and Phantom Assassin were completely destroyed in their lane was probably a bigger factor to the loss than the mid lane. It's just incredibly frustrating being unable to do anything in your lane and unable to help your team. I fell behind in levels and farm because of that stupid astral imprisonment so even trying to gank I wasn't that effective. A witchdoctor even tried to gank the OD but he just imprisoned me and walked away.

The next hair pulling moment was when their team did group up. OD would forcestaff forward and imprison me, the Jakiro would ice path the prison, the Lion would earth spike after the ice path...

And my entire team would either stand back or watch as I died and they proceeded to take our mid towers then barracks. They just kept repeating that over and over again. I was left in the position of either just standing back and watching my base get destroyed or try and move forward and just get gang beat by their entire team.

So... yeah. One of the worst Dota matches I've had in awhile. The previous game I had an annoying pair of Mexicans who kept shouting at everyone in Spanish and pinging the map whenever a player didn't follow one of their horrible calls or they died so that left a bitter taste in my mouth from the start.

Mononoke

Banned

Get a full group of people or expect being matched with people that don't speak your language or people that do speak your language but still won't communicate. Matchmaking without a full team is hell.

Since you are new and might not have friends on Dota, just try to make friends with people you meet in pub games until you can make a full team.

F!ReW!Re

Get a full group of people or expect being matched with people that don't speak your language or people that do speak your language but still won't communicate. Matchmaking without a full team is hell.

Since you are new and might not have friends on Dota, just try to make friends with people you meet in pub games until you can make a full team.

Before queing up for a match, just always leave a message in the GAF chat channel.
I've picked up about 30+ people playing regularly that way, so I've always got a few people online that want to team up for some mm.

Is it too late for someone pretty new like me to join and learn DOTA?

There's a lot of new people asking similar questions ITT so try and form a group if you can. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing bot games if you're not comfortable with any mechanical stuff for the heroes you want to play. But honestly if you're bored of them you can just jump in to mm. If your first ten games in solo queue are anything like mine they'll be completely shit and clowny and you'll be ahead of the curve by just having read a guide or two.

Hugstable

Banned
There's a lot of new people asking similar questions ITT so try and form a group if you can. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing bot games if you're not comfortable with any mechanical stuff for the heroes you want to play. But honestly if you're bored of them you can just jump in to mm. If your first ten games in solo queue are anything like mine they'll be completely shit and clowny and you'll be ahead of the curve by just having read a guide or two.

Thanks a ton to everyone for responding. I watching/reading some of the stuff on the Newbie link here that took me to Reddit. If anyone wants to play bot match with/against me later to help with what I'm doing right/wrong would be awesome. Steam name is in my profile. Back to reading lol

Mononoke

Banned
Before queing up for a match, just always leave a message in the GAF chat channel.
I've picked up about 30+ people playing regularly that way, so I've always got a few people online that want to team up for some mm.

Listen to this guy.

I would also say since you are new, focus more on improving your playing rather than winning. If you do matchmake alone be okay with losing and trying to become better while also finding other players you can friend. For me, this game got a lot better once I started matchmaking with a full team.

marrec

Banned
I don't really like Lesh as a farmer much at all. I've tried it, and it just doesn't seem to be very effective. Maybe some cute Atos/Orchid thing might be a better build for that, playing him more like Enchantress, but I feel like you have to get super stacked (Bloodstone, BKB at least) to be as effective as other heroes in a 3 or higher role.

Main advantages is that he's a support with a good (followup) stun and a tower melting ability, which few supports have. He's also has a high base move speed.

You don't see Wisp + CK get through very often these days, but he's definitely a great addition as a third to that tri-lane, especially if you consider the higher levels of phantasm as a complementary tower pushing ability.

You forget the early hero melting ability. He's a solo powerhouse vs. pretty much anyone early on depending on your skill build. Though I'd never play him in a 3 spot, 4 or 5 is perfect for him.

That said, if you in the solo situation described above, just max lightning and get spammy with it if they try to push into you too hard. Your stun is going to be hard to land effectively vs 2 and you won't be melting any towers for a while.

I started 2 years ago. I'm 28. You'll do fine.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
From everything I've heard, it seems like she behaves like a child.

You're telling me that someone with this description on Twitter:

Team [A]lliance official Courier ♥A particularly angst creature♥ I worked for own3d.tv, casted Starcraft 2 professionally, and now manage ♥@theAllianceGG ♥Loda♥

...with a picture of her in the streets doing some kind of attention-grabbing leg-raise pose in a cut-off shirt isn't a mature individual?

This shit is rocking me to my core, man!

shira

You're telling me that someone with this description on Twitter:

...with a picture of her in the streets doing some kind of attention-grabbing leg-raise pose in a cut-off shirt isn't a mature individual?

This shit is rocking me to my core, man!

That's just external bs.

She's got a great business sense, can cook, and shares all the interests a pro-gamer has. Match made in heaven.

Skinpop

I could see them looking to snag RTZ with a stable contract and since GG owns ayesee they could rejigger their game times so he doesn't miss school as much. Probably win-win best case scenario for him.

Almost got a Maelk, btw has anyone got one? 0-20+deaths and win

I hade this dudecalled DragonsMaster last night who went 0-20-5 with naix but we still won :)
http://dotabuff.com/matches/257252162

how do you join the GAF channel?

Skinpop

Mai Waifu!!!
I think a Maelk award needs to be a support, not just a feeder who's 4 allies pick up the slack.

Just click the + icon and type "neogaf" to enter the channel.
If you want guild entrance just spam till Dreams-Visions lets you in.

thank you sir

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That's just external bs.

She's got a great business sense, can cook, and shares all the interests a pro-gamer has. Match made in heaven.

I'm not saying she isn't an awesome match for someone like Loda...just saying that it shouldn't be shocking to hear "she acts like a kid" with all that stuff being her public persona.

Seems fun, but not an adult...whatever that means.

Dec

I'm not saying she isn't an awesome match for someone like Loda...just saying that it shouldn't be shocking to hear "she acts like a kid" with all that stuff being her public persona.

Seems fun, but not an adult...whatever that means.

I just meant that I don't consider him lucky. Not breaking incredible news.

shira

Never followed the Dota 2 competitive scene before but Earthshaker isn't a competitive hero?
Situational right now, but at the International anything goes. You don't want to reveal your pocket strats beforehand.

Is he supposed to pick some celebrity we don't actually know anything about? There are plenty of woman that do those things without acting like a jackass.
Something like that. Jelly bellies, jelly of kelly.

In fairness, my last game of the night did have some of the best-natured pubs I've played with. Dota taketh, Dota giveth in turn.

that it does. as it were, I find that I only encounter one asshole a week at the most. everyone else is pretty cool or completely silent. Not that they're all good, but the games are pleasant win or loss.

Never followed the Dota 2 competitive scene before but Earthshaker isn't a competitive hero?

He's picked up on a very rare occasion.

Is Kelly Milies the chick that abandoned Tobi in the middle of a cast? Pretty childish and unprofessional.

Why no AC for Rubick and PL?

Damn I didnt even notice the third one. Was too busy wallowing in self pity. Thankfully my team was somehow not pissed about it. The DS had to be one of the nicest players I've ever played with.

Dec

Is Kelly Milies the chick that abandoned Tobi in the middle of a cast? Pretty childish and unprofessional.

Damn I didnt even notice the third one. Was too busy wallowing in self pity. Thankfully my team was somehow not pissed about it. The DS had to be one of the nicest players I've ever played with.

That's her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom