• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I wonder if the market will settle on a high(ish) price or will crash back down to 3 bucks. This should be entertaining.

Artanisix

Check reddit.

People still bitching about Abby mace. Haven't seen it in game yet though. Honestly the mace is sick enough for me that I'd take it just for that.

Einbroch

Banned
I loved the Abby mace before the change, but it does have this weird issue where it just disappears from Abby's hand. Unless that's intentional.

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, the mace itself is a great design to begin with, only thing that bugged me was the bugged animation (now since fixed).

Einbroch

Banned
Is it like Slark where his ult's passive goes away when he can't see enemies but can see them or is it just when enemies are visible?

Basically, can you use it as a sentry ward (without actually revealing the enemy, obviously).

Alright, cauldron is now acceptable, though I still probably would have preferred the Kunkka sword or VS weapon.

I don't play Abaddon, so I don't care about him so much.

SamVimes

>Queues in very high, lanes against a Batrider that didn't napalm once until level 4 and then only scarcely. I was a Bristleback and started with a stick, but i still don't see a big enough reason to do shit like that.

I'm glad I held on to my Abaddon mace. He's the only hero out of the Immortal items that I actually play, and I suspected they would improve it with a new animation anyway. Regardless, it is as of this moment still the one and only item Abaddon has to his name--another reason I valued it to begin with.

Abaddon's first item is Immortal? Ballin'.

Yesterday I was able to trade for Juggernaut's Genuine Kantusa Sword of the Script, or whatever his black sword is called. ~$50 on the market, I traded it for some Batrider mounts and a few keys. Was a good deal. Now I have all Juggernaut items, bwuaahaahaa! (Except for strange ones.)

Anteo

Shield is now different:
apocshield.jpg

Barely see the diference. Not worthy

F!ReW!Re

Best of luck! If you want to get an idea of how I approach it, I can recommend some specific replays that you can fast-forward through from my player perspective. I can find good replays for Ancient Farming or Dire, for Radiant, and a good one for laning. Let me know.

That would be much appreciated! Did a quick unfair co-op bot game (I know shame on me).
Went pretty well but found that I was still a bit squishy after the butterfly and manta purchase.

Will do a couple of normal matches now!

BeesEight

That would be much appreciated! Did a quick unfair co-op bot game (I know shame on me).
Went pretty well but found that I was still a bit squishy after the butterfly and manta purchase.

I'd love to see some replays too. Every Medusa I've seen, either enemy team or mine, has been absolutely forgettable. Course, I don't think I've seen a Medusa that wasn't trying to rush a Linken's either.

Atlantis

I'm kind of afraid to jump back into MM after the disconnects/abandons I've been getting lately.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with other people using the internet since I don't recall having problems unless my brother is gaming or someone is using Netflix. Sorry if this is a it off-topic, but does anyone have any idea how I could fix this?

Edit: Should mention that my router is pretty ancient.

Sorry to ask this again, but I'd really like this fixed.

Just played a game no problem, but I tried a second after my brother arrived home and tried to play whatever game he has and didn't even make it to hero select.

Einbroch

Banned
Sigh. Another game, another AFK. Up 19/8 with two towers down, they had none, and some dude just AFK's in the fountain but never disconnects by using an ability every couple minutes. We all see him do it, but it doesn't matter. Worst he'll get is some low priority time. But wait, I don't think he cares, seeing as how he has played like nine matches and is likely on some smurf account.

/rantfuckyouvalve

J2d

Finally mustered up the courage to play my first game, it went pretty good imo 6.1.7 with Sven =)
At the end I didn't actually know what to do with some of the gold, too many items to browse from as a noob.

Manus

Finally mustered up the courage to play my first game, it went pretty good imo 6.1.7 with Sven =)
At the end I didn't actually know what to do with some of the gold, too many items to browse from as a noob.

Mask of Madness and BKB are Sven's bread and butter. Top it off with Daedalus for that crit.

Demoli

I like armlet better on Sven. Armlet further boosts your God's strenght damage, gives decent attack speed armour and regen and armlet toggles are amazing. Also doesn't turn you into paper.

Go Mask if they are mostly magical damage and you have a bkb, the main advantage of mask is getting massive speed since sven is kited easily.

Armlet against physical damage dealers/situations where its easy to armlet toggle.

Go both for man mode.

Protip, go helm of the dominator first, stack ancients with an alpha wolf or centaur (for their auras) and pop your ult and mow them down. Once you have sufficient gold disassemble helm into MoM and Armlet.

shira

Try dragging items to autobuy

dorkimoe

what cauldron are people talking about?

also first person to pm me the auto spectate command for the TI3 prelims when they are up wins!

Looks like prices for cauldron are starting to come down.
Well, it's a pretty mediocre effect, but I haven't seen it on an enemy hero to have a complete opinion.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/257419947 - Radiant side ancient farming (no wards)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/252119666 - Radiant side ancient farming (with wards)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/256264371 - Dire side ancient farming (with wards, then without wards @ 6 minutes)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/251338920 - Radiant side laning

http://dotabuff.com/matches/254342778 - Dire side laning

A note about using wards for radiant side: I recently discovered that with ancient farming on radiant side, you can use one ward to give vision on moving ancients AND give vision on the top rune. Drop the ward:

n5e4.jpg

Maybe half way between where NP is in this picture and where the ward is placed. So that the ward's vision isn't being obstructed by the group of trees just below it. It gives all the vision you need to ancient farm without compromising the team's vision of the runes. Your offlaner can come retrieve the second ward from you and block the pull or the safe lane support or mid can come take it and ward the other rune.

Ancient farming without wards is done by clearing out a lot of trees and can be done on both sides (also a very recent discovery for me). It takes a little longer (takes about 30 seconds to clear out all the necessary trees, but it works just fine. It's preferable on Dire side because there's no way to place a ward on dire side that gives vision of the rune AND the ancient stacking that I've found. So you'll have to take up a ward to do it if you don't clear out all those trees.

Blah blah blah. watch the first 15 or 20 minutes of those at 2x and you'll get the idea. Most important thing when ancient stacking: never miss an ancient stack for the first 10 minutes unless you're being ganked and can't do anything about it. As soon as you get your phase boots and dom helm, get the hell out of the ancient area because if they haven't come for you yet, they will very soon. use your dominated creep (go dominate one) and use that to do your stacking. You may have an adjustment period getting used to watching the clock and stacking those ancients every 53'd second, but do your best. The more proficient you get, the more money you'll make when it's time to farm that stack.

Most important thing when laning: get those fuckin last-hits. I usually start with a wraith band and tangoes when laning and get the first point in stats. Again, as soon as you get your dom helm and phase boots, dominate a creep, start jungling and start ancient stacking. If you can convince someone bot lane to start stacking earlier, all the better for you. Go to the lane (any lane) if you see creeps are pushing up to it. My typical level 6 skill build is 3-0-2-1. I max arrows, then shield, then nothing but stats (taking ult a 11 and 16) until I have to take snakes. It works for me, but it's not the only way to do it. Snakes are very popular because they're very spammable and may be the only way to create space to farm in some laning scenarios. the more levels you have to put into early split, the less damage you're going to do when you start jungling (thus, the longer it will take to clear the jungle), so keep that in mind.

Arkanius

I just lost three games on a row with Kunkka
I guess I can't play with him. I always initiate and deal loads of damage into the team fights, but I end up dying. As time goes, I get less and less gold and less and less XP until I turn into canon fodder.

J2d

Thanks for the advice everyone! Gonna keep practicing with Sven for the training missions and then try some of the other characters once I get more comfortable with the game.

shira

what cauldron are people talking about?

also first person to pm me the auto spectate command for the TI3 prelims when they are up wins!
It's like the 10th line of the intenational OT
1. What is the console auto-spectate code - I can't watch games live but want to win sweet tourney items from work?
In the main menu, hit delete than copy&paste
dota_spectator_auto_spectate_games 65006
Dota 2 should watch every match as they become available all day.
Is it just me or does anyone else think Abaddon's shield looks like ass? By far the ugliest effect in the game imo.
Give that to medusa with ion shell and mjolnir. You won't know if you coming or going.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ancient Stacking with Medusa isn't really all that good, anyone decent will either ward the spot or just roam and gank you, seen it happen to Loki all the time. If they leave you alone it works pretty well.

I just lost three games on a row with Kunkka
I guess I can't play with him. I always initiate and deal loads of damage into the team fights, but I end up dying. As time goes, I get less and less gold and less and less XP until I turn into canon fodder.

Common problem with playing carry: it's very easy to forget you need to farm to stay relevant.

For level 7, I recommend a 2-3-2-1 build. Get to level 2 X-Marks, because it will allow you to land 100% of your torrents. It's less damage than having a level 3 or 4 torrent, but the guesswork and prayer is taken out. It's the way to go, IMO. After getting 2 points in X-Marks, max out Tidebringer, then Torrent. You can really just go stats after that unless you want to put more points in X-Marks, which can make it more difficult again.

Skill building aside, don't stop farming unless your team has decide to push or you have to defend. Tidebringer should make farming a trivial matter. Time your Tidebringer hits to make sure you're getting last-hits.

Ancient Stacking with Medusa isn't really all that good, anyone decent will either ward the spot or just roam and gank you, seen it happen to Loki all the time. If they leave you alone it works pretty well.
Correct. But what I've found is that most teams won't dedicate the time and resources to worrying about Medusa early. Some do and in my last game (http://dotabuff.com/matches/257419947) I was ganked repeatedly. But with wards, you see people coming and can back off, and enemy supports aren't going to spend a lot of time in enemy territory because of the inherent danger. Item progression may get delayed by a couple of minutes, but that's usually all. You only need to be there long enough to get your phase boots and dom helm; not a lot of items. Then you're off to the jungle or a lane where you're much safer. You're not spending 20 minutes there to farm a linken's like most pub Medusas.

Arkanius

Common problem with playing carry: it's very easy to forget you need to farm to stay relevant.

For level 7, I recommend a 2-3-2-1 build. Get to level 2 X-Marks, because it will allow you to land 100% of your torrents. It's less damage than having a level 3 or 4 torrent, but the guesswork and prayer is taken out. It's the way to go, IMO. After getting 2 points in X-Marks, max out Tidebringer, then Torrent. You can really just go stats after that unless you want to put more points in X-Marks, which can make it more difficult again.

Skill building aside, don't stop farming unless your team has decide to push or you have to defend. Tidebringer should make farming a trivial matter. Time your Tidebringer hits to make sure you're getting last-hits.

My problem is that, in these 3 particular games, my team wanted me to go with them everywhere. We were in constant team fight mode.
It could snowball both ways, except it snowballed to the opposite team.

I guess I'm a support at heart, playing Carries make me stay underpowered with the constant teamplaying.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Correct. But what I've found is that most teams won't dedicate the time and resources to worrying about Medusa early. Some do and in my last game (http://dotabuff.com/matches/257419947) I was ganked repeatedly. But with wards, you see people coming and can back off, and enemy supports aren't going to spend a lot of time in enemy territory because of the inherent danger.

Yeah, its annoying when your team also won't do anything about it. But if that wasn't enough, somehow in the game I got matched with you, your Undying managed to single handily beat the DK/Jakiro Top lane we had. I should have just said screw solo bot and tried to kill you.

Arkanius

Correct. But what I've found is that most teams won't dedicate the time and resources to worrying about Medusa early. Some do and in my last game (http://dotabuff.com/matches/257419947) I was ganked repeatedly. But with wards, you see people coming and can back off, and enemy supports aren't going to spend a lot of time in enemy territory because of the inherent danger. Item progression may get delayed by a couple of minutes, but that's usually all. You only need to be there long enough to get your phase boots and dom helm; not a lot of items. Then you're off to the jungle or a lane where you're much safer. You're not spending 20 minutes there to farm a linken's like most pub Medusas.

Oh by the way, I felt my item building might have been inadequate as hell.
It was phase -> Shadow Blade -> Crystallis -> Deadalus -> Heart

They were all items that took to long to build since I was getting little money due all the teamfighting (and dying first).

My problem is that, in these 3 particular games, my team wanted me to go with them everywhere. We were in constant team fight mode.
It could snowball both ways, except it snowballed to the opposite team.

I guess I'm a support at heart, playing Carries make me stay underpowered with the constant teamplaying.

OIC. Yea, that can happen.

Like I said, it's very, very, VERY easy to get to levels 6-10 then look up at 30 minutes and wonder where the time went and where your items are. Been there, done that. I find that in particular people play heroes like Riki...hit 6 and think it's time to perma-gank. Getting a few pickoffs is fine, but Riki is a carry. He needs to farm his items too. Not as much as some carries, but he needs his time farming to reach his maximum effectiveness. Just the process of walking from one lane to another is time lost. And time is money...and time is XP.

Really, it's just something to get used to. Sometimes you just can't join a team fight. Sometimes, you have to convince your team to NOT take a team fight.

Oh by the way, I felt my item building might have been inadequate as hell.
It was phase -> Shadow Blade -> Crystallis -> Deadalus -> Heart

They were all items that took to long to build since I was getting little money due all the teamfighting (and dying first).

No, that's pretty much how everyone builds kunkka. Whether heart or AC depends on enemy team comp, but that's more or less then current standard approach. If you're not on track to get Daed up by...maybe 32 minutes (give or take), you're behind and should farm more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom