• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodland

Oh by the way, I felt my item building might have been inadequate as hell.
It was phase -> Shadow Blade -> Crystallis -> Deadalus -> Heart

They were all items that took to long to build since I was getting little money due all the teamfighting (and dying first).

That's a solid lategame build, but if you're going for tons of early fighting (i.e. 50 kills by 15mins) picking up a drum before/after lothar's is pretty nice, especially since you'll have ridic speed boosts.

Yeah, its annoying when your team also won't do anything about it. But if that wasn't enough, somehow in the game I got matched with you, your Undying managed to single handily beat the DK/Jakiro Top lane we had. I should have just said screw solo bot and tried to kill you.
I don't even remember that game. Was I playing Medusa?

Also, if you wait until I hit level 6, it's just about impossible to gank Medusa anymore. I just ult and walk away. :3

Cauldrons have been raised, they now give a custom Entangle:
cANmQ0t.jpg

dlet.png

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Correct. But what I've found is that most teams won't dedicate the time and resources to worrying about Medusa early. Some do and in my last game (http://dotabuff.com/matches/257419947) I was ganked repeatedly. But with wards, you see people coming and can back off, and enemy supports aren't going to spend a lot of time in enemy territory because of the inherent danger. Item progression may get delayed by a couple of minutes, but that's usually all. You only need to be there long enough to get your phase boots and dom helm; not a lot of items. Then you're off to the jungle or a lane where you're much safer. You're not spending 20 minutes there to farm a linken's like most pub Medusas.

I've watched Loki do this plenty of times, and in the majority of games someone comes very early and either wards it or fucks with him enough that it takes a long time to recover.

I'd link some of the replays of it happening but they've all expired.

I thought that it was your alt in this game:
http://dotabuff.com/matches/228233628

:(

why for you no come gank me? :((((

I've watched Loki do this plenty of times, and in the majority of games someone comes very early and either wards it or fucks with him enough that it takes a long time to recover.

I'd link some of the replays of it happening but they've all expired.

Yea, that happens sometimes. I'd say maybe....eh...maybe 40% of the time. Part of the reason it doesn't happen as much now is because:

1.) You can only buy 1 set of obs now. Supports don't have an extra ward that will get instantly dewarded to put in the ancient camp like they may have when we could have 4 to start. It's usually several minutes before a support can realistically afford to prioritize 200g sent wards. By then, the damage is done.

2.) If I'm going to Ancient farm, I let my team know I'm going to last-pick her and don't pick her until about 10 seconds of game time have gone by. This ensures that supports have already spent their money and obs wards are going to their already-planned destinations. Don't give them time to plan and they won't be able to.

3.) Medusa is the 13th least played hero in the entire pool. Sometimes people forget to respond to her, especially given #1 and #2 above. Sometimes, people's only experience with Medusa is the typical useless Medusa Linken's building player and think they have time and will bother with her later. By the time they respond to my presence, I already have a butterfly and it's too late.

When necessary, I just buy sent wards and de-ward. My only starting item is a quelling blade (wards if nobody else bought them), so I have money to burn. I rarely lose much time. Usually if it's to the point where I'm getting regularly ganked, it's because the team has already lost map control inside of 7 or 8 minutes. Again, it's nice because I'm not spending time there to farm big items; I'm only there long enough to get those boots and dom up. If need be, I can transition easily to a lane. It works well for my level of pubbing, but others that pub higher in the bracket than I do may encounter more problems. I'll be able to comment on that more when I get there :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
2.) If I'm going to Ancient farm, I let my team know I'm going to last-pick her and don't pick her until about 10 seconds of game time have gone by. This ensures that supports have already spent their money and obs wards are going to their already-planned destinations. Don't give them time to plan and they won't be able to.

Kind of says everything about the strat.

Kind of says everything about the strat.

Well yes, you don't want to be counter-warded if possible if you're going to ancient stack. That goes without saying whether you're doing with with Medusa, Tinker, Beastmaster, Windrunner or Invoker. If you're laning it doesn't matter when you pick. At best, it buys you a few minutes of free time. Free time is good time.

Anteo

All this talk about Medusa is interesting because since last week I pick a set of sentries to stop the camps/ancient at the start of the game. Started doing this because really, the observer wards are too important to waste on camps. So it doesnt even matter if you wait till 0:10, if I notice the ancients are being abused, I'll ward it. Kind of feel good to have developed this (obvious thing that I should have been doing all this time) so I feel prepared to counter that.

All this talk about Medusa is interesting because since last week I pick a set of sentries to stop the camps/ancient at the start of the game. Started doing this because really, the observer wards are too important to waste on camps. So it doesnt even matter if you wait till 0:10, if I notice the ancients are being abused, I'll ward it. Kind of feel good to have developed this (obvious thing that I should have been doing all this time) so I feel prepared to counter that.

It's a good habit. Especially if there is a BM or Tinker on the other team, or if someone is likely to buy or has bought a Dom Helm. I wouldn't do it too early unless you're sure the enemy has a team has someone who can do ancients early. Otherwise, it seems like an expense that could wait until later.

I have legitimately never seen an Ancient stacking Medusa in-game before.

I don't really want to try it out, either. It looks dull beyond belief.

Trasher

:(

why for you no come gank me? :((((

Yea, that happens sometimes. I'd say maybe....eh...maybe 40% of the time. Part of the reason it doesn't happen as much now is because:

1.) You can only buy 1 set of obs now. Supports don't have an extra ward that will get instantly dewarded to put in the ancient camp like they may have when we could have 4 to start. It's usually several minutes before a support can realistically afford to prioritize 200g sent wards. By then, the damage is done.

3.) Medusa is the 13th least played hero in the entire pool. Sometimes people forget to respond to her, especially given #1 and #2 above. Sometimes, people's only experience with Medusa is the typical useless Medusa Linken's building player and think they have time and will bother with her later. By the time they respond to my presence, I already have a butterfly and it's too late.

When necessary, I just buy sent wards and de-ward. My only starting item is a quelling blade (wards if nobody else bought them), so I have money to burn. I rarely lose much time. Usually if it's to the point where I'm getting regularly ganked, it's because the team has already lost map control inside of 7 or 8 minutes. Again, it's nice because I'm not spending time there to farm big items; I'm only there long enough to get those boots and dom up. If need be, I can transition easily to a lane. It works well for my level of pubbing, but others that pub higher in the bracket than I do may encounter more problems. I'll be able to comment on that more when I get there :D

So you literally only buy a quelling blade? I'm assuming you get regen right? And do you ever build an Aquila or a Wand, or do you completely skip them and go straight Phase/Dom? Do you ever build a midas or is that not worth it?

Smithy C

I had no idea you could get an Energy Booster for mana boots from the side shop. I've been making long ass trips to the secret shop every time. This changes everything.

Atlantis

I'm kind of afraid to jump back into MM after the disconnects/abandons I've been getting lately.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with other people using the internet since I don't recall having problems unless my brother is gaming or someone is using Netflix. Sorry if this is a it off-topic, but does anyone have any idea how I could fix this?

Edit: Should mention that my router is pretty ancient.

Sorry to ask this again, but I'd really like this fixed.

Just played a game no problem, but I tried a second after my brother arrived home and tried to play whatever game he has and didn't even make it to hero select.

Another day in low priority due to disconnects, no reason to keep playing at this point.

Boken

Banned
I played on the Australian server yesterday.
i had an incredibly loud and obnoxious aussie bogan fella playing qop on my team

hate australia.

Dark Souls was such a joke that I facetiously said beating it was like upping the difficulty to easy. EZ

yo, 1v1 me in dark souls

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dark Souls was such a joke that I facetiously said beating it was like upping the difficulty to easy. EZ

Just kidding btw, the actual story is that after I smashed Moodyshuffle in Spartacus Legends, milkman smashed him in 1v1 meepo, and wes smashed him at Sonic Racing, he asked me, "yo bokr, yo man how do I get really good at games like u????" I replied, "Well first you should try upping the difficulty to easy."

it's anything you want it to be haly

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
I played on the Australian server yesterday.
i had an incredibly loud and obnoxious aussie bogan fella playing qop on my team

hate australia.

Oh man I get so many damm bogans when I play.

Thankfully there are some real nice people on, and quite a few ladies which is really nice.

Artanisix

Nice tag bokr. Story?

The euros were having their daily Civ 5 discussions in mumble. Anbokr chipped in about how much d he was giving A.I. Gandhi with his army and how little challenge there was in the game. After bumbling on for a bit about how good he was, he followed up with, "So I upped the difficulty to easy..." and we all stopped him there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ah, that makes sense.

(lol bokr plays on settler)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom