• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

man, Magnus would have been much better looking with an item set. :/

wtf valve.
Agree
iHknzJIVztFtv.jpg

F!ReW!Re

Well, it's a pretty mediocre effect, but I haven't seen it on an enemy hero to have a complete opinion.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/257419947 - Radiant side ancient farming (no wards)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/252119666 - Radiant side ancient farming (with wards)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/256264371 - Dire side ancient farming (with wards, then without wards @ 6 minutes)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/251338920 - Radiant side laning

http://dotabuff.com/matches/254342778 - Dire side laning

A note about using wards for radiant side: I recently discovered that with ancient farming on radiant side, you can use one ward to give vision on moving ancients AND give vision on the top rune. Drop the ward:

Thanks again for the elaborate explanation! Definitely helps a lot!
When I get home from work this afternoon I'll watch those replays and do some matches!

Will let you know the end result ;-)

Weens

Neo Member
Thanks again for the elaborate explanation! Definitely helps a lot!
When I get home from work this afternoon I'll watch those replays and do some matches!

Will let you know the end result ;-)

That ward in the post is good for normal ancient farming, but doesn't work for the Dusa ancients strat which requires more vision for maximum amount of split shots as the creeps pull out of the camp.

Edit: Looking at that Dotabuff...I think Dreams-Visions may have it down regardless.

JustinBB7

That picture of an artist drawing Tiny is not a rework, on flickr it says it's an artist doing drawings for new graphics for TI3. So shouldn't be a rework.

Kreunt

Banned
That picture of an artist drawing Tiny is not a rework, on flickr it says it's an artist doing drawings for new graphics for TI3. So shouldn't be a rework.

realistically its just an artist pretending to do something, so that he can keep 'working' at Valve.

mkenyon

Banned
Played one of the most stressful games ever tonight.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/258499680

Somehow won a game with no hard carries, down almost 20 deaths. We snuck in a rax about 15 mins before the end, barely hung on to our own. Played it safe, and counter pushed the second rax. They were still pushing up two lanes at once. Went to take down the last one after another counter push, and it's looking like we are about to get wiped. Buybacks already used up on everyone.

Hazaro (SK) blinks in and drops the nastiest ult right after a fatal bonds. Saves the day.

Gxgear

Somehow won a game with no hard carries, down almost 20 deaths. We snuck in a rax about 15 mins before the end, barely hung on to our own. Played it safe, and counter pushed the second rax. They were still pushing up two lanes at once. Went to take down the last one after another counter push, and it's looking like we are about to get wiped. Buybacks already used up on everyone.

Hazaro (SK) blinks in and drops the nastiest ult right after a fatal bonds. Saves the day.

Tiny's one of the hardest carries?

Hylian7

Who builds Euls on Sand King before Blink? That's what this one I just played with did and he ulted a grand total of four times. He just refused to use his ult and it cost us the game. We had no good teamfights.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/258640902

Also, I tried this Mask of Madness #YOLOSWAG Sniper build. It's legit, I'll give it that, but you have to be spot on with positioning, and possibly a BKB depending on what you're up against. I would call it the "maximize frustration" build, because a Night Stalker tried to dive me once and I just hit the MoM and just attacked him, and kept Headshotting him and he could not kill me and eventuallly died.

Anteo

Who builds Euls on Sand King before Blink? That's what this one I just played with did and he ulted a grand total of four times. He just refused to use his ult and it cost us the game. We had no good teamfights.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/258640902

Also, I tried this Mask of Madness #YOLOSWAG Sniper build. It's legit, I'll give it that, but you have to be spot on with positioning, and possibly a BKB depending on what you're up against. I would call it the "maximize frustration" build, because a Night Stalker tried to dive me once and I just hit the MoM and just attacked him, and kept Headshotting him and he could not kill me and eventuallly died.

Man I love that build with Mom, add basher for extra fun. Yeah it makes no sense but when you get a bash....
Plus in Wc3 dota most stuns added up (so a minu stun didnt reset the stun, it added to the timer) I guess it works the same on dota2. Fun times.

Hylian7

Man I love that build with Mom, add basher for extra fun. Yeah it makes no sense but when you get a bash....
Plus in Wc3 dota most stuns added up (so a minu stun didnt reset the stun, it added to the timer) I guess it works the same on dota2. Fun times.

I'd say a basher's overkill. Better to get more attack speed items instead to take advantage of headshot. You could make an argument for MKB, but I don't think Basher is worth it.

This matchmaking. LOL.

Game 1: Mid TA on our team goes Shadow Blade, Nightstalker gank train is unstoppable.

Game 2: Turns out that the TA is now on the opposing team, playing Puck. I'm mid as QoP. He dies twice solo to me (+ huge fails on the other team besides) and the game ends in an 18 minute GG.

Anteo

I'd say a basher's overkill. Better to get more attack speed items instead to take advantage of headshot. You could make an argument for MKB, but I don't think Basher is worth it.

I agree, the low (10% on ranged) chance to get a bash really makes it almost worthless. But when you do get a bash, its really fun, the headshoot have a good chance to extend the bash for at least one more second.. We mostly did that on lan parties.

abunai

Just had a game where our magnus needed to leave early, so we were 4v5. Our mid Razor ganked heavily and we eventually took the game. Was great fun.

I want try and learn to mid finally so I've been playing Queen of Pain. Do you think she's a good first mid hero to play? I was slightly traumatised by my earlier attempts at going mid with Storm Spirit and giving up solo kills to the enemy Shadow Fiend and costing my team the game, so being able to blink out of trouble before six is good.

Also does anyone build QuoP purely as a nuker? I see lots of people make BKB and lots of right click items but I want to try just going something like Urn, Aghs, Veil to throw out the spell damage. Her Aghs cooldown seems too good to pass up.

F!ReW!Re

I want try and learn to mid finally so I've been playing Queen of Pain. Do you think she's a good first mid hero to play? I was slightly traumatised by my earlier attempts at going mid with Storm Spirit and giving up solo kills to the enemy Shadow Fiend and costing my team the game, so being able to blink out of trouble before six is good.

Also does anyone build QuoP purely as a nuker? I see lots of people make BKB and lots of right click items but I want to try just going something like Urn, Aghs, Veil to throw out the spell damage. Her Aghs cooldown seems too good to pass up.

Granted, QoP is a great mid. But it might be a bit daunting for a new comer to learn mid with QoP (although her attack animation and nukes are great).
I think Zeus, drow or Viper mid might be a better place to start. But if you feel comfortable with her just keep on practicing.

ugh when another player in the game gets the random drop that you wanted, and you end up getting a player card. Such a bad feeling ;___;

Aghs is mostly worth it around the time you hit Lvl 16/Rank 3 Sonic Wave. 4200 is a lot of gold wasted if you can't use the short cooldown for a few levels.

QoP Aghs is very situational. It's definitely not "core". People are going to get BKBs against her anyway, so more magic damage doesn't really help.

The primary situation is if it's starting to get late and you're being out-split-pushed hard by something like a Prophet + whatever. The game has to also be otherwise close, and you just need that edge to clear creep waves.

Otherwise there's half a dozen different items I would typically rather get.

See the thing about QoP is even though she has the strong nukes early/mid she has the luxury of having a good autoattack, hence why people build right-click/disabling items on her instead of just pure nuke items.

You could run a pure nuking QoP if you were in a hurry to win, sure, but it's not recommended all the time.

shira

Tiny n kukka are what now? Soft carries

smiggyRT

Finished up the tutorial, in the last game they were one tower away from the ancient. Pretty even game until a final push just annihilated them though.

Yeah, this game is pretty fun.

IceMarker

Just got a ton of cards off of dota2wh, best trading site ever and it doesn't even involve trading directly! Now I have all three Smeevil colors and mounts, now I just need the crab dye, but I'll take that one a bit slow.

Smithy C

Played a game where someone dropped out literally just after picking their hero, so we were down 1 right from the get go. Went on to handily beat them, even with me playing Tidehunter mid against a Sniper. I love this game.

So, my keys for spells are 1-4 and I dont know wich key is used to deny targets since my "a" key is to move the map. Any ideas? I cant find it on the options menu =/

I dunno what it is but mm has been weird lately. I have had like 3-4 games in a row where opponents just outright rage quit about 5 min into laning phase. This used to never happen to me.

eznark

Banned
Speaking of, what key bindings do you guys use for items? I ran into a situation last night where I had dust on the "6" key and it totally fucked everyone over because I screwed up a cast after I moved my hand to hit the 6.

shira

It's in the option menu under key bindings, labeled: "Attack move"

Options ---> Controls ---> Unit Actions ---> "Attack move"

Screenshot:

You need to enable deny creeps. That way you can just right click ur own creepies.

Speaking of, what key bindings do you guys use for items? I ran into a situation last night where I had dust on the "6" key and it totally fucked everyone over because I screwed up a cast after I moved my hand to hit the 6.
important items go on space or z for me

I know some purists like 1-6 for items zzz

Hugstable

Banned
Just played my first real game and lost, but I was suprised to find out I had the most kills nad highest level in the match by a wide margin. Didn't end up dying for quite a while too, but ended up with 6 deaths at the very end when they were in our base from all the craziness. Is there anyway to check my stats for a match even after I left. I wanted to take a picture to show all DOTA Gaf my failed first game -_-. I have to travel for a bit in a few hours but if anyone is willing to play some games with me later on today or so that would be awesome to get a whole gaf group going, then I can get some tips on what I need to improve and such. I'm guessing most people don't communicate either because I queued US West but only one other person was actually communicating with me -_-

It's in the option menu under key bindings, labeled: "Attack move"

Options ---> Controls ---> Unit Actions ---> "Attack move"

Screenshot:

Oh, awesome, I thought it was going to be something like "Deny attack" haha! Thank you, now I dont need to shamelessly tell that during games and explain why I cant deny towers and creeps.

BeesEight

Alright, there must be some jerk collecting Dendi cards because I can't seem to find him anywhere.

Not that I can blame them, since I'll probably start collecting the Fnatic boys if I ever finish my entire compendium. I got the crab courier though, so getting the rest will just be a bonus.

That was HK and I and some of my real life buddies! Us all on the same team is more of a bonus for you guys I bet. gg though :)

Finished my predictions.. damn I'm so hype for TI3 now.

Ha, you guys trounced us pretty thoroughly. Was really enjoyable though. Always nice to play against friendly people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom