• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephi22

Match id: 259484747.

Just played as Drow Ranger. I'm still getting around the basics of the game, and certainly I'd like some feedback. (You could think that 48 hours invested in the game should got me decent enough already but well... I take my time, I guess)

Also, I got some cards (2 xia8, one korok and one synderen) if you anyone wants them.
I'm 400 hours in and I don't feed anymore.
I'm not close to decent.

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member

Just played as Drow Ranger. I'm still getting around the basics of the game, and certainly I'd like some feedback. (You could think that 48 hours invested in the game should got me decent enough already but well... I take my time, I guess)

Also, I got some cards (2 xia8, one korok and one synderen) if you anyone wants them.

Just randomly decided to watch this, even though I am nowhere near qualified enough to give advice. But I know enough to know that you should not have gotten Boots first. You should have gotten some regen items, iron branches, and maybe a Slippers of Agility if you really wanted some stats early. All of that will do more for you in the first few minutes than Boots. Boots are a good first item to buy in lane, but NOT as a starting item.

Kard8p3

Oh sorry for abandoning you lol

You said you were about to go in a game and something about half an hour and then you were offline?

We'll play soon!

Haha, I meant the game would probably last half an hour before it was done, and then I'd be down to play, but I probably messed that information up somehow, haha.

Yeah, we definitely need to!

Ask again 200 hours from now.

Morokh

"Watching" a game can be as simple as loading up a replay and then exiting.

Is there somewhere where one can find a list of all the matches that already have been played (for the international 2013) ?
(hope that's not the ones tied to player cards, because half of them have expired already ...)

Hung_real

nmWULcY.jpg

about to open 20 of them

*gulp*

F!ReW!Re

Is there somewhere where one can find a list of all the matches that already have been played (for the international 2013) ?
(hope that's not the ones tied to player cards, because half of them have expired already ...)

In-game go to the Watch tab, then select tournaments and then select the EAST or WEST qualifiers. Watch those matches (I think I've watched all of them, 84 views on my courier at the moment.)

Oh, here it is!

Looked all over Community for a Dota thread.

Just started playing this yesterday.

I've tried LoL for about an hour-- tutorial + one online game with friends to see what MOBAs are about. But I didn't have the time, felt it was boring, and uninstalled.

I sat down and gave Dota a shot, and I like it. Curious about higher level strategies/gameplay and how I will progress.

I reinstalled LoL to give that a try again. Can't believe it has like 32 million active players (?)

Questions:

I finished the tutorial up to the matchmaking game, but it seems my tutorial is only 50% complete. Are there any advanced tutorials, and what am I missing?

And does the game matchmake based on skill? I am choosing the default game mode of limited heroes, since it seems geared towards newbies. I wouldn't want to compete against high level/skilled players

So far, I seem to really like Juggernaut and Sniper.

Quilt

Neo Member
Not going to have my main computer for TI3, so can't watch any of the games in the client. What's going to be the next best way? Heard Twitch slows down to a crawl and I guess it'll only be worse with packed streams.

F!ReW!Re

ion: I finished the tutorial up to the matchmaking game, but it seems my tutorial is only 50% complete. Are there any advanced tutorials, and what am I missing?

So far, I seem to really like Juggernaut and Sniper.

1. Read the OT and watch those tutorials (will help you A LOT!)
- Stuff like stacking, warding, basic laning, item management, roles, etc. is stuff that you NEED to know...
2. The tutorial is 50% complete because some of those missions require you to play them multiple times (from the top of my head 10x the solo mid lane tutorial and 5 times the limited hero pool matchmaking tutorial)
3. You got two choices: Jump right into matchmaking and just see how it goes (prepare for tha FLAME) or do some co-op bot matches, try out some heroes that you think look cool (or that are recommended in the OT) and ask those people that you are playing with for some tips.
4. Welcome to the OT: "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"

Have fun ;-)

^ Thanks a bunch :)

Also, I know Dota 2 is balanced for its main mode, but what are people expecting in terms of new maps and modes?

Dominion from LoL sounds fun, but the balancing for a game like this seems to throw everything off if you introduce new modes.

I also find it hard to imagine different kinds of maps for a MOBA, but surely there exists other kinds?

Also, how does Dota make money as a F2P? Are sales for the cosmetic stuff really that high? o_O

It's pretty awesome that they don't charge for gameplay-favouring features/heroes, is that something people think will hold true going forward?

Card Boy

Banned
Also, I know Dota 2 is balanced for its main mode, but what are people expecting in terms of new maps and modes?

70% of my LoL and HoN matches where spent in 3v3, so i want a 2 lane map for faster shorter matches.

Also, how does Dota make money as a F2P? Are sales for the cosmetic stuff really that high? o_O

Well think about the Compendium as one example, Valve is keeping 7.50 for each one sold. So they made over 7.5 million dollars on just one micro-transaction item all up.

Dominion from LoL sounds fun, but the balancing for a game like this seems to throw everything off if you introduce new modes.

I also find it hard to imagine different kinds of maps for a MOBA, but surely there exists other kinds?

It's pretty awesome that they don't charge for gameplay-favouring features/heroes, is that something people think will hold true going forward?

1) A new map for 1 VS 1, also apparently a horde mode is coming. Everyone wants Pudge Wars too.

2) Yes. Pretty high. I'm not surprised if Valve has already gotten a profit thanks to its F2P system.

F!ReW!Re

Yea, I tend to ignore the stack until I get my yasha up because Medusa doesn't really have the attack speed to farm it without dropping to low life. she can with a little help or by taking a little more time to kite the ancients, but it's not ideal.

If the enemy team had a comp that could farm it if I didn't do it earlier (say, a DK or a fat SF or a Gyro or a combination), or if they had taken the nearby tower and were pushing the T2 in that lane, I would have made it a priority to farm it earlier and keep the camps a little smaller and more manageable. Smaller so that if it gets sniped, I don't lose much and they don't gain much.

And yea some of my team's tower pushes I ignored and split pushed. If the enemy was pushing a tower and we decided not to D it, it was usually because people were just like, "meh, I don't have a tp. let it go." Sometimes it's okay to let towers just fall. Sometimes you don't have the tools (skills off cooldown, tp's) to react.

Watched 3 more replays last night (warded/unwarded ancient stacking on radiant and the warded dire ancient stacking)

Looked like the unwarded one is easier overall, only problem I found was that sometimes when you have multiple stacks the ancients get stuck behind some of the trees (wouldn't it help to remove all those trees?)
And is it possible to ancient stack dire without wards (never done it before)

Anyway before I wanted to drop into a real match I tried out the unwarded stacking in a solo-bot match just to get a grip on the stacking and see how fast I could get to dominating.
Had butterfly up at about 23-24 min and kind of dominated from there.
Problem was after I finished the game my local provider had a outage in my area (the first one in years) so wasn't able to do it in a normal game yet.
Will give that a try tonight!

iloled

Banned

It would be earth shattering if valve releases a dota 2 version of the custom maps that were popular.

TDs, vampirism, footmen frenzy, x hero siege, the possibilities are endless

Leezard

It would be earth shattering if valve releases a dota 2 version of the custom maps that were popular.

TDs, vampirism, footmen frenzy, x hero siege, the possibilities are endless

They could just release mod tools and everything would come back from the community.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
They could just release mod tools and everything would come back from the community.

I think Valve wants to monetize custom maps, probably similar to how CS:GO and TF2 have optional map stamps where 100% of the revenue goes towards the creators. (And CS:GO earned $150k in revenue for their custom maps)

That, in turn, will create a huge minefield in regards to intellectual property, especially when someone will (and believe me, they will) copy/paste old stuff like Enfo's and Footmen Frenzy. (Which is also ironic because Dota was a huge IP minefield :3)

Sibylus

Banned
I think Valve wants to monetize custom maps, probably similar to how CS:GO and TF2 have optional map stamps where 100% of the revenue goes towards the creators. (And CS:GO earned $150k in revenue for their custom maps)

That, in turn, will create a huge minefield in regards to intellectual property, especially when someone will (and believe me, they will) copy/paste old stuff like Enfo's and Footmen Frenzy. (Which is also ironic because Dota was a huge IP minefield :3)
Yup. Want denarii? Don't look back, go custom.

Leezard

I suppose that is a possibility. I hope they would be more free, though, which would make it easier to try new maps like in the WC3 days of old.

That would be a hell of a way to bring new people in as well.
Indeed.

Sibylus

Banned
I suppose that is a possibility. I hope they would be more free, though, which would make it easier to try new maps like in the WC3 days of old.
Said maps are free, but there are items in the given shops that let you essentially donate to the map creators.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I think there will eventually be a lobby system like Warcraft 3 where you can play whatever, but if you buy a custom map stamp, you can join a matchmaking queue for the game modes that you paid for (and invite your friends for free).

Basically what CS:GO does with their map passes.

Card Boy

Banned
I can understand why Spirit Breaker has a the second highest win rate of all the heroes but why does Warlock have the highest? Kinda shocked me, i was expecting Lancer Cancer.

Sibylus

Banned
That and I think that with CS:GO, said item unlocks a matchmaking queue with a collection of the new maps. People who don't pay can still play any of those maps on a custom maps server.

Beaten by the Arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom