• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

Also.. since I made my compendium predictions before the update it bugged and I don't have the bird claw -.-

Would anyone who doesn't want it be willing to trade for a smeevil treat and a dendi card or something?

Speaking of reporting players, I had a horrible night were I lost like 5 games and the last game I just abandonned.

I queue up with low priority and I swear those players used much more advance strats and better communication. It was like bizzaro world, with camp stacking, warding, tri-lanes.

A lot of bitching between the teams but maybe that is why they were there to begin with with.

SamVimes

Played a group with one Russian random. He was very polite about not speaking much English, and pretty much won us the game. Didn't lag us either. Just report bad players, and hope the system sorts it out.

You're not supposed to report bad players.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Played a group with one Russian random. He was very polite about not speaking much English, and pretty much won us the game. Didn't lag us either. Just report bad players, and hope the system sorts it out.

At least he spoke at all. This guy said nothing at all. The main thing was him picking the wrong hero while the other team gets him. Guess he doesn't understand the name in english?

What exactly are you going to report bad player for? Feeding? Ability abuse?

Acinixys

The only thing that bugs me is people from America/China/Australia queuing on the South African servers. Their ping is always over 1K and they abandon after 2 mins of moaning abou lag. Every time. Without fail. Its annoying as hell because the queue times here are sometimes 10 mins + :(

ElyrionX

It's a middle of the road item that works very well on certain heroes (Slark in particular), but lacks the oomph of other similar items. The idea is, if you want HP you build Armlet or BKB. If you want speed you build Yasha -> Manta Style. The Yasha -> Manta Style path really ruins a lot of SnY's desirability. How often can you think of a situation where you'd prefer SnY over Manta? If you need an interrupt/slow, it's a better use of your cash to build Basher or Orb of Venom. And it's just pitiful for raw damage since Desolator, the most cost effective damage item in the game, is the same price.

It's not a bad item per se, it's just outclassed by other items that do the same things it does but more efficiently or effectively.

I think the only fair comparison there is Manta Style. Obviously, if I wanted pure survivability or damage, I'd go BKB or Deso. But the point about SnY is that it fixes the key issue for agility melees (survivability in early to mid game) by giving more HP and movespeed while also boosting your DPS and your overall killing ability.

Manta Style is nice but it costs 1000g more and I've always found its images to be only truly effective in late game when you're already well-farmed. Plus it's harder to build towards than SnY given the 2100g Ultimate Orb requirement. SnY provides a better transition from mid-game to late-game.

Card Boy

Banned
Once again i had a match further solidifying my theory all Jakiro players are shit. Feeds 0-12, no wards.

GG

Never had a match where a Jakiro hasn't done shit.

People tend to go drums if they want a bit of survivability and movespeed and aren;t going manta is the other thing. Obv not as strong as SnY but then it's half the price so it doesn't delay bigger items as much.

Once again i had a match further solidifying my theory all carry players are shit. Feeds 0-12, no items.

GG

Never had a match where a carry hasn't done shit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think the only fair comparison there is Manta Style. Obviously, if I wanted pure survivability or damage, I'd go BKB or Deso. But the point about SnY is that it fixes the key issue for agility melees (survivability in early to mid game) by giving more HP and movespeed while also boosting your DPS and your overall killing ability.

Manta Style is nice but it costs 1000g more and I've always found its images to be only truly effective in late game when you're already well-farmed. Plus it's harder to build towards than SnY given the 2100g Ultimate Orb requirement. SnY provides a better transition from mid-game to late-game.

SnY doesnt allow you to pop out of soft disables or dodge stuns. The 16 strength probably wont help you if you get focused, but Manta's special secondary abilities might, especially if they like initiating with slows or silences.

F!ReW!Re

First two minutes are depressingly accurate. ;_;

It's kinda sad that I find the need to play on the USE server instead of EUW (From NL) because the EUW is just a cesspool of Spanish/eastern-European/Russians who either refuse to communicate or start shouting shit over their microphone and ping the map like crazy.

I rather take the 100+ ping (not that you notice it that much anyway) than having to deal with that shit every match.

nilbog21

Banned
Speaking of reporting players, I had a horrible night were I lost like 5 games and the last game I just abandonned.

I queue up with low priority and I swear those players used much more advance strats and better communication. It was like bizzaro world, with camp stacking, warding, tri-lanes.

A lot of bitching between the teams but maybe that is why they were there to begin with with.

ya its quite ironic, but most players in low prirority are usually more decent players that bitch at the shitty players in normal queue.. IMO its the players that are overly sensitive that should be sent into a different queue, where they can all hold hands and be extermely passive aggresive with one another zzz

I dont like this discrimination against russian/brazilian/peruvian/filipino/indonesian etc..

If an english speaker feeds, everyone just hates on the guy. If a non-english speaker feeds, people determine their nationality and hate on them and their nationality.

I'm thinking there are many great russian/brazilian/etc. players out there who just communicates in english and people don't notice them since people assume their first language is English. There are many people too who communicate in other languages if it does not concern the game (eg. talking about inside jokes) but communicates decent english if the game demands for it.

Once again i had a match further solidifying my theory all Jakiro players are shit. Feeds 0-12, no wards.

GG

I had seen your post previously and ever since then I can't under all the awful Jakiro players. They're not even trying. It's like a bad joke. A very, very, very bad joke.

marrec

Banned
I had seen your post previously and ever since then I can't under all the awful Jakiro players. They're not even trying. It's like a bad joke. A very, very, very bad joke.

One of the regulars I play with runs a very scary Jak. How does anyone go 0-12 with a two-headed dragon?!

Forkball

GG

It really depends on if you land that stun or not. I had one game where I landed nearly every stun and we crushed them. Another game I landed like, maybe 20% of my stuns if that and they destroyed us. IT'S ALL ABOUT ICE PATH.

It really depends on if you land that stun or not. I had one game where I landed nearly every stun and we crushed them. Another game I landed like, maybe 20% of my stuns if that and they destroyed us. IT'S ALL ABOUT ICE PATH.

Yeah, pretty much. Stay at the back, and use Ice Path to stop enemy's attack tempo. Spam other skills, wait nine seconds and Ice Path again.

Do it here then!

snow-great-wall-of-china_64511_990x742.jpg

Ketch

This thread is full of people hating on other people... It's almost like the DOTA community up here. Stay classy everybody.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I dont like this discrimination against russian/brazilian/peruvian/filipino/indonesian etc..

If an english speaker feeds, everyone just hates on the guy. If a non-english speaker feeds, people determine their nationality and hate on them and their nationality.

I'm thinking there are many great russian/brazilian/etc. players out there who just communicates in english and people don't notice them since people assume their first language is English. There are many people too who communicate in other languages if it does not concern the game (eg. talking about inside jokes) but communicates decent english if the game demands for it.
By this, do you mean "They queue for English speaking servers and proceed to speak another language over voice chat all game"?. Because for those of us who can't tell what they're talking about, that is what is happening.

Anteo

As I said before: South American servers are laggier than the NA server for most south americans. I assure you that most south americans are not pleased to have to play in a server where they may not undestand some of their teammates, but really there is no other option:

If they go to the South American Server
-230ms at least
-Have to deal with people speaking spanish and portuguese, so language problems will arise no matter what.

If they go to USA East:
-140-160ms
-Have to deal with people speaking english.

So the best possible solution:
- Create a new SA server only for spanish speaking players (make it different from the brasil server) and make sure it has less than 140ms. No one will go to USA servers.

Im brazilian and mostly play in NA servers just because I think the community is better and I can train english there. lag is okay, Ive never had any problems.

South american servers are usually a mess, Idk why but most SA players love to use their mic to trash talk and be dicks. In most games in the South American servers theres normally one dude with his mic on saying something stupid.

Im brazilian and mostly play in NA servers just because I think the community is better and I can train english there. lag is okay, Ive never had any problems.

South american servers are usually a mess, Idk why but most SA players love to use their mic to trash talk and be dicks. In most games in the South American servers theres normally one dude with his mic on saying something stupid.

Sounds pretty much like a NA server to me :D

Seriously though, this system is a bit messy for now, and since communication is SO key in DotA, it clearly brings the overall experience down for now... Gabe, please save us!

Valygar

I'm trying to get 8 teams in the compendium. I NEED THAT CRAB. Last thursday, I had only 10 players. Now I have 38 (thanks to my gf who donated 15, and lots of games).

What seemed an impossible feat, it's almost at my reach... only two more compendium games this week and crazy trading (I think I've traded around 20 cards this weekend).

I even made a spreadsheet file to trade faster and spam in the dota 2 trading chat.

This is better than playing dota!

Now seriously, compendium games are awesome. Usually the people playing there is good mannered specially compared with the people I usually get in MM. However, yesterday we had 2 russians who only spoke russian, refused to make a trilane to protect weaver (they started to ping and scream in russian) so I sended my clockwerk top with DS (magnus at the beginning did not want mid, lol).

KotL feeded and did not bought wards, and weaver managed to feed as well. It was wierd because we were losing but I was happy with it. Got to practice a bit with clockwerk and did well (considering the circumstances...), but I still have no clue how to use the ulti.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/263324887

For the people arguing about the "racism"... It is about refusing to communicate and selecting "English". I.E, in the game I just wrote about at the end we discovered the magnus was also spanish, but we did not know until he started insulting the russians in spanish (after writing a lot in english), because he (and we two spaniards) were communicating all the time in english.
The hate for certain nationalities is absurd, don't feel bad about it... I just hope valve starts to separate the game by language properly, if certain people can't play in english don't "force" them.

So even South Americans can't stand South Americans?

I don't know why -- and I fought the generalization for so long -- but whenever there is a person in MM with .br attached to his name, I just know something shitty it about to happen. I even try to defuse the situation early with a "hey there ____.br :)" or something. Never works.

On the other hand, Spanish speakers are just more memorable to English speakers for what is actually a fairly even rate of poor behavior.

Tobe

thing about spanish speakers is, most come from garena they are in the transition state between wc3 dota and dota2. garena community SUCKS, everybody trying to play by themselves generally with a serious case of BM. also lots of former hon players, since hon SA is kinda dead. couple that with rivalries between countries. no south american country gets along, so yeah SA hates SA.

So even South Americans can't stand South Americans?

I don't know why -- and I fought the generalization for so long -- but whenever there is a person in MM with .br attached to his name, I just know something shitty it about to happen. I even try to defuse the situation early with a "hey there ____.br :)" or something. Never works.

On the other hand, Spanish speakers are just more memorable to English speakers for what is actually a fairly even rate of poor behavior.

Yep, its bad. I'm brazilian and cant stand brazilians in online games, be it a MMO, Dota or FPS. Most of them cant even spell a word in english if theyre in a party/raid with the majority of people from another country. They spam "heuauhuhehua" and are just annoying.

My first time playing with them was in WoW, I tried to play in the brazilian server (Warsong Gulch) and couldnt stand it. So much hate and people flamming each other, not only what they call "gringos", but even other brazilians. Seems to me its the same thing in Dota, if you die once in a MM with brazilians or dont do what youre told prepare to hear a lot. Unfortunately I think this goes beyond the realm of games and most brazilians are just ignorant in general and lack proper education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom