• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

is the courier equipped?

Yup, I'll just check on it after a few games Wednesday and see if it doesn't go up after I do the relink. Only thing I can think of is it doesn't like the fact that I've been viewing games from 5 different devices/computers.

Yup, I'll just check on it after a few games Wednesday and see if it doesn't go up after I do the relink. Only thing I can think of is it doesn't like the fact that I've been viewing games from 5 different devices/computers.

I've been watching on my Nexus 7, on my PC and on the in-game client. I've received all views for my Smeevil and BTS courier.

Boken

Banned
I have no idea what position he'd be played in. I always thought more of a 2-3 since he needs the farm but other people say 4 cause he 'only needs Blink'.

I dont know, I was just forced into it.

I was more of a 4.5 position. I had to lane with our 1 in the safe lane, but didnt have to buy wards. So confusing. Normal skill tier is TGE WORSE

I just die after hoof stomping. :>

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For the Fantasy teams, Looking at how the brackets are, you should try and put any players from Alliance, LGD China, DK, and IG onto the bunch, they won't be playing any games on Wednesday at all.

shira

mh4ozfE.jpg
I think urs is a shop

For the Fantasy teams, Looking at how the brackets are, you should try and put any players from Alliance, LGD China, DK, and IG onto the bunch, they won't be playing any games on Wednesday at all.

Same goes for Liquid, MUFC, Virtus and Zenith in the lower bracket.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yes, do I just need to open 4 tabs next time?

Maybe? I don't think I got views from twitch even when viewing normal, but I didn't try to much. Really doesn't matter till next year though, the rest of the event is going to have games 1 at a time.

Yes, do I just need to open 4 tabs next time?

I've kept 4 tabs open while the prelims were on and I got over 100 views in the past 2 days.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I think the courier particle effect you get caps out at or before 100 views total and you can probably get most of the way there in the coming days. If not, you can just downloads replays and watch the highlights at 8x speed which will take a minute or so and give you a view.

Okay newbie question; I've read a lot of guides and watched a lot of videos, but they all seem to miss one major thing: map awareness and understanding where to be at any given time.

Is there a good guide on this? I often wander around and miss out on experience/gold just because I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing at certain points.

Also is there a guide that discusses phase recognition? By which I mean, how do you know when the laning phase is transitioning to later stages of the game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a good guide on this? I often wander around and miss out on experience/gold just because I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing at certain points.
No. Positioning and map awareness is an experience thing.

My only advice is:

Map Awareness: Roughly 50% of your time should be spent looking at the mini map
Positioning: If you're squishy, be behind the rest of your team, but not so far that you can get picked off.

Also is there a guide that discusses phase recognition? By which I mean, how do you know when the laning phase is transitioning to later stages of the game?
Rough numbers:

Laning phase: 00:00-15:00
Mid-game: 15:00-35:00
Late-game: 35:00+

There are also certain cues to be aware of:

If people stop returning to their lanes and group together to push towers (carries being the exception), laning phase is probably over.
If an initiator gets a blink, you should probably get ready for team fights.
If a carry finishes their core and finds that they need to make a BKB, you're probably approaching late game.

Items that indicate a possible phase transition:

Orchid/Sheep on a heroes like Furion, QoP, Storm, Clinkz
Blink on heroes like Mag, Enigma, Tide, SK, TA
Battlefury on Void, AM, PA
Shadowblade on heroes like Furion, DK, Sniper, Drow
BKB on any hard carry

Okay newbie question; I've read a lot of guides and watched a lot of videos, but they all seem to miss one major thing: map awareness and understanding where to be at any given time.

There's no guide for any of this. It comes from instinct, experience and communication with team mates. Where you should be at any time depends on your role in the game (whether you're a ganker or support for example) and what the situation is with your towers. Also learn to keep an eye on the minimap to see where you have vision on enemy heroes and more importantly, where enemy heroes should be but aren't. Getting good rotations is difficult and thus rare in pub games due to lack of communication. As a newbie, your best bet is to play it safe. Getting a little less gold because you're not farming a lot is better than being caught out of position and getting ganked continuously.

shira

No. Positioning and map awareness is an experience thing.

My only advice is:

Map Awareness: Roughly 50% of your time should be spent looking at the mini map
Positioning: If you're squishy, be behind the rest of your team, but not so far that you can get picked off.

Don't forget to switch your minimap icons to faces. . . they are so kawaiiiii

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Don't forget to switch your minimap icons to faces. . . they are so kawaiiiii

This too. Shapes and words are retarded. Icons make things so much easier.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Does Veil of Discord create a 600 AOE aura on the ground that stays for 20 seconds and affects heroes that walk in to it? Or is it a 20 second debuff that's applied to heroes in the AOE when it's cast?

Xyber

If you have been watching the matches with Twitch and it hasn't updated, watch one game from the client.

I was stuck at 54 until I watched one and then it bumped up to 84.

Atlantis

Just had my first game with intentional feeders. A shame since the game was set to be pretty fun otherwise.

Had a Wisp teleporting players to cliffs and the enemy fountain and a Lone Druid that parked himself on a cliff and fed the courier.

Boken

Banned
I really need to learn the courier hotkeys. After 1400 games I still only use the UI button to bring stuff to me.
I set my courier to B. so I press.

BDFR.

D - pickup from stash
F - bring to me
R - speed boost

just make sure you check if anybody is using it at the time...

Hylian7

This too. Shapes and words are retarded. Icons make things so much easier.

I like the icons better as well, since it always takes me a second when someone says "Blue is coming toward you." and I have to look at the top of the screen or hold alt and I'm like "who's that?"

Chris R

Vengeful Spirit is a bunch of fun. No idea if the items I ended up with were the ones to go for but I didn't seem to do too badly.

Chris R

If you have been watching the matches with Twitch and it hasn't updated, watch one game from the client.

I was stuck at 54 until I watched one and then it bumped up to 84.

I'll try this Wednesday night when I get home from work (if games are still on then :< )

Hylian7

The new SF artwork looks awesome! I hope they stick with the red one.

I also hope they keep the wings on there all the time, but just have them furled on his back, unfurling for his ultimate.

$570 for me
That gets me 11x3= 33 trading cards
1 scythe of vyse
2 luckboxes
6 custom in game items
6 plushies
head set I don't need.

Dreams?
PS fuck you volvo, no wait sweeet sweeet couriers
Not sure yet.

I refuse to buy that ass headset just for a Scythe.

>.>

preliminary glance says $425. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom