• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

2MF

I only played a little bit of Dota 2 so far. I find the last hitting / denying mechanics quite stupid. Am I alone in this? Has anyone had that sort of doubt before, and did they get convinced otherwise?

edit - To me it's like "here's this incredibly deep game... oh, one of the main mechanics consists solely of timing so you get last hit and killing your own stuff so they don't".

I only played a little bit of Dota 2 so far. I find the last hitting / denying mechanics quite stupid. Am I alone in this? Has anyone had that sort of doubt before, and did they get convinced otherwise?

What's stupid? You get the kill, you get the gold.

dorkimoe

play a support hero...play lich. you get a skill that denies for you. And as support you arent expected to last hit

shira

play a support hero...play lich. you get a skill that denies for you. And as support you arent expected to last hit

Cyborgmatt if you listening please remove Lich from last-hit challenge. It's kinda dumb going for last hits when he insta-denies creeps.

dorkimoe

1300 hours of gameplay and i cant last hit worth a shit. except on certain heroes. dont lose points for trying though :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

edit - To me it's like "here's this incredibly deep game... oh, one of the main mechanics consists solely of timing so you get last hit and killing your own stuff so they don't".

I think the laning phase would be incredibly boring without it. Now there may be a different argument that "the laning phase" itself is problematic, but I feel Lh and denying is integral to that.

Dota games do have a very weird overall structure. I find it really compelling (and addictive) but I would be interested in trying Mobas without the initial farming, just to see how it plays

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
To me it's like "here's this incredibly deep game... oh, one of the main mechanics consists solely of timing so you get last hit and killing your own stuff so they don't".

Isn't this part of the deepness though? Adjusting your play style and item choices depending on what you/the enemy can afford?

marrec

Banned

I never had any doubt about Last Hit/Deny, it makes it a very active game in the laning phases with the ability of a support hero to contribute a lot in lane. It also makes solo matchups more interesting.

Hi Dota GAF

I have been watching the Daily Dota from Giantbomb since the beginning, and finally, after the international 3, I have decided to give the game a try.

I have only made the tutorial (except the 10 normal matches), and a few bot matches, and I am having fun.

To try and be a little more prepared, I have played like 3 bot matches with unfair difficulty, and I have lost every single one, dying a lot in every match. The two other bot matches I have done with hard difficulty, I did fine, but unfair it's just too much. And I figure the normal online matches to be several times harder.

So, should I try to practice a little more or just jump directly to the fun? (I know playing with friends would be ideal, but none of my friends are gamers, and I just downloaded Steam for Dota, so zero friends in steam)

Another question, from the few heroes I played, the one I like the most, and by far, is Weaver. With him I can escape a lot of situations and I don't die as much as with the others. Plus, I just don't know how to play defensively, so I like to be able to go all attack and retreat when in danger. Is there any other hero with such characteristics?

Thanks in advance!!

Slark was an excellent suggestion made. Stormspirit is probably the most mobile hero in the game with Nature's prophet. Puck with a blink dagger is very hard to kill and does a good amount of damage. Lycan can do tons of damage and run away with wolf form if he has to. Clinkz is hit and run. Both AM and QoP have blink.

I don't think anyone tops weaver though when it comes to having trouble killing him. Storm is up there though.

KingKong

I've been trying to unload my cards at dotawh but at this point it they're not really accepting them. Seems like 5 cards in their inventory=overstock. While I do like their service despite them skimming off the top, their prices are just out of whack. If anything, they need to update their prices more often and give better value to items that they don't have as people are pretty much trying to trade the same set of items.

oh I didn't realize they skim, how much? Like if I sell a 100 gold player card, how much gold do I get?

It may not be obvious for new players, but last hits/denies and how well you do during the laning phase in general is based on much more than just timing. I would even argue that timing is a relatively minor factor when compared to positioning.

I find it a little bit of an obnoxious skill barrier myself at least for some heroes who have really low base damage or terrible last hit animations. But they couldn't really take out the mechanic since being able to last hit freely is the main pay off for winning your lane and getting lane control.

caesar

Banned

Most skillful thing in the game.

oh I didn't realize they skim, how much? Like if I sell a 100 gold player card, how much gold do I get?

72 gold (fluctuates more or less both ways. Highest I've gotten is 76 gold). It's worse when you try to trade in more expensive items since it's a percentage skim.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I find it a little bit of an obnoxious skill barrier myself at least for some heroes who have really low base damage or terrible last hit animations. But they couldn't really take out the mechanic since being able to last hit freely is the main pay off for winning your lane and getting lane control.

This is part of the balance of heroes. Some heroes are good at the laning phase, some are bad at it, and they have other specialties to compensate. There are items you can buy to improve your damage, but buying those items means less items for regeneration.

It's all tradeoffs and decision making.

What is the community's view of last-hit kill-stealing by a teammate? Yesterday, in a game that I played, a teammate of mine just stood next to me, letting me do all of the damage to the creeps, and then he would swoop in for the last hit every time. Is this viewed as a perfectly acceptable practice, or is this frowned upon?

What is the community's view of last-hit kill-stealing by a teammate? Yesterday, in a game that I played, a teammate of mine just stood next to me, letting me do all of the damage to the creeps, and then he would swoop in for the last hit every time. Is this viewed as a perfectly acceptable practice, or is this frowned upon?

Need more context...Who were you playing? Who were they playing? At what point of the game was it? etc...

Depends on the heroes you were playing and the roles in the team that can be assigned to them.

marrec

Banned

Sounds like you were Auto Attacking creeps? Was this in the laning phase? Who were the heroes involved?

Manus

Unless you're pushing why are you attacking the creeps? Just let them fight than take the last hit.

Filth

What hero did you play. What hero did he play? Also you shouldn't be auto attacking creeps unless you plan on pushing.

Need more context...Who were you playing? Who were they playing? At what point of the game was it? etc...

The fact that such a straight-forward question even needs more context is interesting in terms of the game's dynamics. In the early days of MMORPGs, before developers accounted for kill-stealing, the practice was absolutely frowned upon in any circumstance.

As for my particular situation, it was very early game, I was playing Storm Spirit, and he was playing Beastmaster.

I am still new to Dota 2, so I honestly have no idea if what he was doing was acceptable or not.

marrec

Banned
The fact that such a straight-forward question even needs more context is interesting in terms of the game's dynamics. In the early days of MMORPGs, before developers accounted for kill-stealing, the practice was absolutely frowned upon in any circumstance.

As for my particular situation, it was very early game, I was playing Storm Spirit, and he was playing Beastmaster.

I am still new to Dota 2, so I honestly have no idea if what he was doing was acceptable or not.

Beastmaster should not be taking Last Hits from Storm Spirit. You should, however not be attacking creeps at all early game except to land Last Hits or in the case of pushing a tower.

You should have went mid with storm spirit.

Probably ya.

Filth

You should have went mid with storm spirit.

Just in case any of you were wondering, it turns out that if you land Clockwerks hook on a charging Spirit Breaker ... he still stuns you and just keeps on trucking. Does anyone disagree that it should be the other way around? I mean come on, that aint easy to pull off and I'm sure Pudges hook disrupts SB's charge.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
this made me laugh way more than it should have ._________.
tumblr_mqefvfpsI61qbxlyfo1_500.jpg

gosh I'm such a nerd

That's because the dynamics are completely different. In an MMO, every character needs farm equally but that isn't the case in DOTA, since different heroes benefit from different amounts of farm for optimal efficacy.

1)You don't want to auto attack creeps in laning phase as it pushes the creep wave towards the enemy tower which makes you more susceptible to getting ganked.

2)Ideally neither of you two should be laning together as you're both somewhat farm dependent. Having said that, in the grand scheme of things you probably should've gotten priority in farm.

3)You should've gone into midlane solo with Storm Spirit as he's farm and level dependent early on, but hey it's a pub match...shit like this happens all the time.

marrec

Banned
Thanks for the info and advice, everyone. It sounds like I need to turn off auto-attack!

There's a few things you can do regarding this actually. Turning off A-A is one, but I actually prefer orb-walkingwalking around. If you constantly have your hero walk in a half moon orbit around the Creep Line (or whatever else you're attacking/going to attack) then he's not going to attack. This provides the added benefit of being constantly on the move so that skill shots are harder to land (as long as you move in a deliberate fashion). Couple with this animation canceling (default S key) and you can get away with not turning off Auto Attack.

Depends on your style though.

There's a few things you can do regarding this actually. Turning off A-A is one, but I actually prefer orb-walking. If you constantly have your hero walk in a half moon orbit around the Creep Line (or whatever else you're attacking/going to attack) then he's not going to attack. This provides the added benefit of being constantly on the move so that skill shots are harder to land (as long as you move in a deliberate fashion). Couple with this animation canceling (default S key) and you can get away with not turning off Auto Attack.

Depends on your style though.

That's not orb walking though. That's just moving around.

Orb walking is manually casting an orb effect such as drow's frost arrow. The attack is considered as a spell, and therefore the creeps don't start attacking you.

Volodja

Gotta disagree, fewer clicks without any loss of accuracy. Less effort!
The "hardest" part of orb-walking is getting the backswing animation canceling as fast as possible without canceling the startup animation, thus canceling the attack itself and that doesn't really change.
But then again, I don't have any use for quick casting considering that I don't even attack command targets with Right click but A-Clicking on them.

Pratfall

Had my first abandon last night. My router up and died 5 minutes into a match and it took my stupid PC 2 restarts before it could get a connection hooked directly up to my modem. By the time I reconnected, 3 of my teammates had bailed and the game was ruined. Feels bad man.

KingKong

72 gold (fluctuates more or less both ways. Highest I've gotten is 76 gold). It's worse when you try to trade in more expensive items since it's a percentage skim.

that's not toooo bad I guess

Anyone have the crab dye, is it worth it? I don't know if I feel like collecting 8 more teams, especially Na'Vi because it's probably a pain in the ass to get the Dendi card

Sibylus

Banned
The "hardest" part of orb-walking is getting the backswing animation canceling as fast as possible without canceling the startup animation, thus canceling the attack itself and that doesn't really change.
But then again, I don't have any use for quick casting considering that I don't even attack command targets with Right click but A-Clicking on them.
You're not quite reading me here. Two button presses and hovering over the target requires a (miniscule) bit more effort than one press and hovering over the target comparatively, hence me characterizing it as effortless. It's quite intuitive and allows me to speed up my actions that little bit faster, also quite nice for lane harass.

Anteo

I think the laning phase would be incredibly boring without it. Now there may be a different argument that "the laning phase" itself is problematic, but I feel Lh and denying is integral to that.

Dota games do have a very weird overall structure. I find it really compelling (and addictive) but I would be interested in trying Mobas without the initial farming, just to see how it plays

Without the laning phase, the teams would enter mid game with the same gold per character. With the laning phase, trying to maximize the gold you get early and reduce the gold the enemy gets makes the mid game play completly different. It's one of the reasons that not two games play the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom