• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

I've always stayed away from MOBAs but the watching the tournament pulled me in. I'm only doing bot matches but I'm completely lost lol. I think this will be like Starcraft for me. I'll never play it online with people. I won't be good enough and don't want to deal with the jerks.

I am terrible in Starcraft but decent in Dota. The difference is that Dota doesn't require very high skill levels to play. You don't need insane levels of APM or very fast reaction times to do reasonably well in the game. The learning curve is steep only because there are so many heroes and items to know. But that comes with time and experience.

Boken

Banned
I am terrible in Starcraft but decent in Dota. The difference is that Dota doesn't require very high skill levels to play. You don't need insane levels of APM or very fast reaction times to do reasonably well in the game. The learning curve is steep only because there are so many heroes and items to know. But that comes with time and experience.

are you trying to say that starcraft takes more skill than dota?!

Wunder

Yeah, it may seem like Starcraft 2 at first, because it's quite confusing and there is a flood of information that you need to know immediately, but once you get most of it down it's quite relaxing and fun, if you want it to be. Of course at the higher levels it's just as taxing as Starcraft, but in a different way - you're constantly communicating with your team and being hyper aware of your role and what exactly you should be doing.

But, for most people, if you have the time to play some DOTA, win or lose, then it will be pretty fun. I honestly don't mind too much when I lose in DOTA when I solo queue - it's not like I purposely play bad or do stupid builds, I try my best to communicate with my team and win, but when it's a lost cause I can take a loss quite easily now. I still get frustrated with almost every loss in Starcraft, though.

Dec

are you trying to say that starcraft takes more skill than dota?!

Mechanical skill, I'd say so. But Dota is a team game where mechanical skill isn't nearly as important as things like decision making and communication.

Hi Dota GAF

I have been watching the Daily Dota from Giantbomb since the beginning, and finally, after the international 3, I have decided to give the game a try.

I have only made the tutorial (except the 10 normal matches), and a few bot matches, and I am having fun.

To try and be a little more prepared, I have played like 3 bot matches with unfair difficulty, and I have lost every single one, dying a lot in every match. The two other bot matches I have done with hard difficulty, I did fine, but unfair it's just too much. And I figure the normal online matches to be several times harder.

So, should I try to practice a little more or just jump directly to the fun? (I know playing with friends would be ideal, but none of my friends are gamers, and I just downloaded Steam for Dota, so zero friends in steam)

Another question, from the few heroes I played, the one I like the most, and by far, is Weaver. With him I can escape a lot of situations and I don't die as much as with the others. Plus, I just don't know how to play defensively, so I like to be able to go all attack and retreat when in danger. Is there any other hero with such characteristics?

Thanks in advance!!

And I figure the normal online matches to be several times harder.

Not really. Obviously the bots can do some dumb things and don't have much in the way of high level strategy, but they probably better than most beginners at mechanical things like last hitting and coordinating chain stuns. Also you have dumb bots on your team as well which doesn't help.

I don't know if it's really worth practising against unfair bots as a beginner since it's a bit artificial. One of the most important aspects of dota is learning how to pick fights, knowing whether you have enough damage to solo kill someone before they get away, can we defend this tower, can I go in and help this guy or will I just die as well, stuff like that. Making those judgements won't be the same with unfair bonuses. (In particular they'll teach you that trying to kill Necrolyte is completely pointless as he's functionally immortal at any point in the game.)

Weaver is kind of unique, but you could try Timbersaw as he has the same kind of ballin high-mobility thing going on. Neither are what you would call beginner heroes though, they both need a decent amount of farm.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Are they shippig stuff from the secret shop? I want to buy a tidehunter polo. I hope they sell it online.

All of the items should be on sale on the store, not sure about the small plushies though as you're able to turn in the shitty wizard for something else.

Hi Dota GAF

I have been watching the Daily Dota from Giantbomb since the beginning, and finally, after the international 3, I have decided to give the game a try.

I have only made the tutorial (except the 10 normal matches), and a few bot matches, and I am having fun.

To try and be a little more prepared, I have played like 3 bot matches with unfair difficulty, and I have lost every single one, dying a lot in every match. The two other bot matches I have done with hard difficulty, I did fine, but unfair it's just too much. And I figure the normal online matches to be several times harder.

So, should I try to practice a little more or just jump directly to the fun? (I know playing with friends would be ideal, but none of my friends are gamers, and I just downloaded Steam for Dota, so zero friends in steam)

Another question, from the few heroes I played, the one I like the most, and by far, is Weaver. With him I can escape a lot of situations and I don't die as much as with the others. Plus, I just don't know how to play defensively, so I like to be able to go all attack and retreat when in danger. Is there any other hero with such characteristics?

Thanks in advance!!

In regards to playing online/against bots - I'd say jump on and give it a go. The community really is atrocious, ignore them and try to have fun. That's the most important part of it.

You can always make friends with some of the diamonds you meet online - I have a platoon of Russians who I've managed to befriend.

Weaver really is a slippery customer. He is quite unique in the way you can abuse his W to leg it away.

Finding it hard to find someone similar that is mobile/agile as good old Mr Weaver.

patapuf

Hi Dota GAF

Thanks in advance!!

The best way to improvenis to play against humans.

After a few matches, you look up/watch some tutorials about what you have trouble with. Rinse, repeat.

Just ignore people's whining, they are most likely just as bad as you are.

Ultrabum

I strongly recommend learning how to mute other players, there is a small icon on the score screen that does this. Just mute people the instant they start to flame and you will have a much better experiance.

ViviOggi

And I figure the normal online matches to be several times harder.

It's the opposite really. About 10 minutes in the enemy bots will start to five man your ass no matter what, whereas the players you'll be facing online won't even be close to that level of communication. Also when you're playing solo the mute button (small speaker icon in the scoreboard) is your best friend, feel free to use it the second anyone starts shittalking, people like that won't be providing constructive feedback anyway. This mutes voice and text communication for that player.

sixghost

Thanks in advance!!

Maybe try Slark or Timbersaw. Weaver is more about autoattack damage, whereas 95% of timber's damage comes from his 3 active abilities, but Timber can be just as difficult to kill once you have points in timber chain and reactive armor. You might like Huskar or Spirit Breaker as well.

Well I'm no Timber expert but anyone with a Bloodstone as their first recommended item would have been a bit intimidating for me to play as a beginner. (Same with Linkens for Weaver actually.)

sixghost

Well I'm no Timber expert but anyone with a Bloodstone as their first recommended item would have been a bit intimidating for me to play as a beginner. (Same with Linkens for Weaver actually.)

He's so hard to kill around level 7 though, so you don't run into the problem of never finishing bloodstone because you keep dying. It takes a silence, or a good chain stun to kill him once timber chain is level 3 or 4. You'll escape plenty of ganks just by spamming W on a tree since beginners just aren't going to perfectly chain their stuns most of the time.

Thanks in advance!!

Sounds like you like carry/ganking. Do train yourself at defensive plays too though, the best way to get good in Dota is to be an all-rounder first, then try to improve on the kind of plays that you like. Defensive positioning/warding/intimidation goes a long way in helping your team.

Slark, Anti-Mage, Mirana, Queen Of Pain and to an extent Windrunner has good escapes. Try them out.

Voshond

Neo Member
I made a small Android app that lets you view your fantasy teams and compare them to the teams of your Steam friends. Haven't spent much time on the visual design, I want to make sure it works first.

The API I'm using can be very slow at times, so there might be some long loadtimes when comparing a lot of friends.

Screenshots: 1 - 2 - 3

You can download it here: TI3 Fantasy Team Viewer

Willectro

Banned
Played a bunch of games over the weekend. I'm probably still in the low end of matchmaking, but I hate playing with or against Huskar. Pub stomp machine.

I love how Valve made irl chests and keys with those plushie dispenser tokens.

I just reallllyyy hope they sell them. I can see myself spending too much money trying to get the Tidehunter one. He's my favorite hero in the entire game :(

KingKong

I don't get it, how are player cards still 100 gold on dota2wh? they drop every other game. Some commons are down to <50 gold and you get a 'real' item, what, every fifth game?

I already have my crab but I don't know, maybe I'll just cash in my other cards for commons instead of trying to get the dye

shira

Most will be available at the Valve store on the 7th,

I don't think the plushies or the trading cards will be, but that would be a huge gamechanger. #shittywizard prize omfg

Not sure yet.

I refuse to buy that ass headset just for a Scythe.

>.>

preliminary glance says $425. We'll see.

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink the headset, I think it might be too bulky as it's a huge box to carry around and I don't need it.

The lanyard is actually decent, it's too bad it has no prize.
selemene_s_blessing_by_ijur-d5yyatx.jpg

Why can't we get a nice Luna bear set

Ultimatum

Banned
if I get a Siberia v2 headset from a different retailer can I show proof of purchase to get Scythe of Vyse? Or does it have to be the special Dota 2 version from the secret shop?

liezryou

if I get a Siberia v2 headset from a different retailer can I show proof of purchase to get Scythe of Vyse? Or does it have to be the special Dota 2 version from the secret shop?

Siberia v2's Have been on sale for as low as 40$ on 1saleaday.com so i assume you have to buy the special dota 2 priced one.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
so my smeevel courier has 20 games watched of the TI3, i heard if it gets a 100 it gains a special effect. Any trick to make that happen sooner because i don't think they are enough games for me to reach 100.

shira

No, it isn't Secret Shop exclusive, but I'm 99% sure it has to be a Dota branded one.

The codes come inside the packaging on a little Dota card.

so my smeevel courier has 20 games watched of the TI3, i heard if it gets a 100 it gains a special effect. Any trick to make that happen sooner because i don't think they are enough games for me to reach 100.
It doesn't have to be live games.

Download and watch the replays in the game client. Go to Tournaments, pick International 2013 or qualifiers. There are over 100 games you can download.

I don't think the plushies or the trading cards will be, but that would be a huge gamechanger. #shittywizard prize omfg

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink the headset, I think it might be too bulky as it's a huge box to carry around and I don't need it.

The lanyard is actually decent, it's too bad it has no prize.

Why can't we get a nice Luna bear set
Are you going to The International Shira? Can you take a picture of the hoodie for me? I want it but I'm not sure if it's a new design. I already have last year's hoodie.

marrec

Banned

Use the qualifiers from May. My courier is already up to 60 games watched and I haven't even viewed the entire West Qualifiers. A lot of people already have above 100 views.

Hugstable

Banned
Been watching a whole lot of International Games do I didn't get much play time in these last few days, but this morning got one exciting win with viper and a horrible loss with Sand King right now. Two guys went mid right at the start of the match, and one did just continued to complain and talk shit to our whole team calling them fucktards and all that. It was sad because he only had one death less than me but he decides to say he's gonna report the whole team. People doing this just because I'm new won't throw me into a lower priority or will it? I know I'm new, but I'm not that bad, and when someone goes mid with someone else and another disconnects its hard to pick the game back up, especially when I'm Sand King, and after I get my Blink Dagger its a while before I get better items to be able to carry and kill. I don't think I'm going Sand King for a bit since he seems to rely alot on early and late game, and I'm only level 1 profile, so I'm not sure how long each game is gonna last at this point lol.

I don't get it, how are player cards still 100 gold on dota2wh? they drop every other game. Some commons are down to <50 gold and you get a 'real' item, what, every fifth game?

I already have my crab but I don't know, maybe I'll just cash in my other cards for commons instead of trying to get the dye

I've been trying to unload my cards at dotawh but at this point it they're not really accepting them. Seems like 5 cards in their inventory=overstock. While I do like their service despite them skimming off the top, their prices are just out of whack. If anything, they need to update their prices more often and give better value to items that they don't have as people are pretty much trying to trade the same set of items.

dorkimoe

definitely getting the natures prophet plush....and probably the dota 2 jacket, ...but fuck that stuff is so expensive...seriously valve?

Been watching a whole lot of International Games do I didn't get much play time in these last few days, but this morning got one exciting win with viper and a horrible loss with Sand King right now. Two guys went mid right at the start of the match, and one did just continued to complain and talk shit to our whole team calling them fucktards and all that. It was sad because he only had one death less than me but he decides to say he's gonna report the whole team. People doing this just because I'm new won't throw me into a lower priority or will it? I know I'm new, but I'm not that bad, and when someone goes mid with someone else and another disconnects its hard to pick the game back up, especially when I'm Sand King, and after I get my Blink Dagger its a while before I get better items to be able to carry and kill. I don't think I'm going Sand King for a bit since he seems to rely alot on early and late game, and I'm only level 1 profile, so I'm not sure how long each game is gonna last at this point lol.

Sand King isn't a carry. Your job is to initiate and provide AOE damage.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Has anyone seen the LE collectibles on the Valve store? I want that Vanguard but it's $300! D:

Also, after watching some TI3 matches with OD, I decided to try him out playing just like I saw him played. Last game I went 14-6. Good grief, he's a beast.

shira

Finally at Dallas waiting for my seattle connection!
Amsteram re-route?

definitely getting the natures prophet plush....and probably the dota 2 jacket, ...but fuck that stuff is so expensive...seriously valve?
Courier codessssssss

Has anyone seen the LE collectibles on the Valve store? I want that Vanguard but it's $300! D:

Those in-game items designed by WETA are going to be $1000 easy. Very good investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom