• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's not toooo bad I guess

Anyone have the crab dye, is it worth it? I don't know if I feel like collecting 8 more teams, especially Na'Vi because it's probably a pain in the ass to get the Dendi card

Keep in mind that DOTAWH has a low stock threshold for cards (5 per card) so chances are they won't even take it.

I currently have one that I'm holding onto just in case its value spikes later on (though I doubt it- currently going for 1 key- I'll probably just apply it if the value doesn't improve significantly). The effect is not very noticeable so unless you're really OCD with having the full set of Smeevil couriers, it's probably not a big deal

Anteo

That's not orb walking though. That's just moving around.

Orb walking is manually casting an orb effect such as drow's frost arrow. The attack is considered as a spell, and therefore the creeps don't start attacking you.

Orb walking does apply to regular attacks and is still called orb walking, canceling your backswing to position your hero closer to the enemy even if you are not using an orb effect. This skill is a must for any player, even if you dont have an orb effect you still need to learn how to cancel the backswing on your hero, it works for melee heroes too, really important on chases and can be the difference between landing a kill or letting your enemy escape.

Also I like to move around to cancel my attack while trying to last hit, moving around makes me a harder target for skillshoots and also try to move in and out of the range of the enemy.

Anteo

Just in case any of you were wondering, it turns out that if you land Clockwerks hook on a charging Spirit Breaker ... he still stuns you and just keeps on trucking. Does anyone disagree that it should be the other way around? I mean come on, that aint easy to pull off and I'm sure Pudges hook disrupts SB's charge.

Not really, there is a big difference between the two spells. Unlike pudge, for clock's spell he needs to collide to the enemy hero to stun him and if he is stunned mid way the spell stops. Since SB also needs to collide to a enemy hero to stun him it's all about the range on that hitbox. So I guess the SB hitbox is bigger and hits clock before he is hit by clocks hibox, disabling clock and stoping the chain.

Dynamic3

Orb walking does apply to regular attacks and is still called orb walking, canceling your backswing to position your hero closer to the enemy even if you are not using an orb effect. This skill is a must for any player, even if you dont have an orb effect you still need to learn how to cancel the backswing on your hero, it works for melee heroes too, really important on chases and can be the difference between landing a kill or letting your enemy escape.

Also I like to move around to cancel my attack while trying to last hit, moving around makes me a harder target for skillshoots and also try to move in and out of the range of the enemy.

Can you expand on cancelling your backswing please? I'm unaware of this.

this made me laugh way more than it should have ._________.
tumblr_mqefvfpsI61qbxlyfo1_500.jpg

gosh I'm such a nerd

How has Seattle been so far?

marrec

Banned
Can you expand on cancelling your backswing please? I'm unaware of this.

Every hero has a certain attack animation that takes a certain amount of time. When I originally said 'orb walking' I said it because I always associate it with moving while attacking at the same time. The idea behind orb walking (animation canceling in reality, Orb Walking is also associated with manual casting skills to reduce creep agro) is when you cancel the remainder of an attack animation after the attack has either landed (melee) or been sent out (ranged). It's normally associated with ranged characters because it's essential in maximizing time spent, but can also be used on melee heroes (DK in particular has a HUUUGE backswing that takes a ton of time).

That's animation cancelling. Orb walking involves the creeps ignoring you. Animation cancelling will still get you creep aggro.

Artanisix

Not really, there is a big difference between the two spells. Unlike pudge, for clock's spell he needs to collide to the enemy hero to stun him and if he is stunned mid way the spell stops. Since SB also needs to collide to a enemy hero to stun him it's all about the range on that hitbox. So I guess the SB hitbox is bigger and hits clock before he is hit by clocks hibox, disabling clock and stoping the chain.

Pretty sure that's wrong. The hook itself stuns whatever target you hit it with and any additional targets that clock collides with are stunned.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dreams Vision went to TI3 right? Can we force him to buy us like $5,000 in stuff and mail it to 50 people?

Silver_key

Neo Member
I only played a little bit of Dota 2 so far. I find the last hitting / denying mechanics quite stupid. Am I alone in this? Has anyone had that sort of doubt before, and did they get convinced otherwise?

edit - To me it's like "here's this incredibly deep game... oh, one of the main mechanics consists solely of timing so you get last hit and killing your own stuff so they don't".

Think of it like tug-of-war where you're allowed to trip players on the other team. Every deny keep the enemy further away from the skills they need to win.

I only played a little bit of Dota 2 so far. I find the last hitting / denying mechanics quite stupid. Am I alone in this? Has anyone had that sort of doubt before, and did they get convinced otherwise?

edit - To me it's like "here's this incredibly deep game... oh, one of the main mechanics consists solely of timing so you get last hit and killing your own stuff so they don't".

It's fun, and it's something to do during early game where everyone is trying to get to level 6 in the shortest time possible while denying the enemy the chance to do so.

So it becomes this tricky game of positioning and risk, which is probably why I never had any problems with it. It's how you can use all these absurd techniques and strategies together, while still having to mind the other opponent's moves that makes this my kind of game.

I just looked at the replay and it turns out there was an invisible Drow that ran up right next to him right when I threw the hook. I hooked her instead and was right next to him so I got stunned by the charge.

What is this talk about courier codes for buying items from the secret shop? I thought the items related to the product you bought. So jugg item for jugg shirt, etc.

shira

What is this talk about courier codes for buying items from the secret shop? I thought the items related to the product you bought. So jugg item for jugg shirt, etc.

Last year you got codes on trading cards for couriers if you spent money at the Secret Shop. So If you buy 2 Jugg shirts - you get 2 jugg shirts, 2 jugg item codes and 3 trading cards.

Last year you got codes on trading cards for couriers if you spent money at the Secret Shop. So If you buy 2 Jugg shirts - you get 2 jugg shirts, 2 jugg item codes and 3 trading cards.

Hopefully you're guaranteed a courier with every trading card pack like last year too.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man I wonder how many new players we have made delete DOTA over the last week or so. Been really stomping some teams out.

Every other game lately has been people rage quitting early (opposite team loses laning phase..bam..disconnect)...Influx of LoL players?

Ok, I take back the LoL part but seriously I dunno how it is for the rest of you but I definitely been getting an uptick of quitters lately. I was for some type of conceding option but now I just want these guys to get punished even more.

Ok, I take back the LoL part but seriously I dunno how it is for the rest of you but I definitely been getting an uptick of quitters lately. I was for some type of conceding option but now I just want these guys to get punished even more.

Yeah, an influx of new Dota players due to TI3 and full version hype. It will die down eventually. Hell, even Gabe from Penny Arcade is trying the game out.

Lotto

Everytime someone picks Sniper, I die a little inside.
Shitty hero for shitty dota players. Learn2playDotaNoobs

People hate on him cause he's just a "right click" hero for the most part, but I on the other love him just because of how important positioning is with him since he has no reliable escape. It's probably why we don't see him in high level play because positioning with him against a pro level team is neigh impossible to do, whereas in pub games it's much easier to not get caught out of position since usually the teams aren't coordinated enough to do so (it could also be the other way around which explains why a lot of people hate him). Of course this is all relative to the player's skill of positioning their hero; knowing to be in the right places at the right times. That and he probably has one of the funnest attack animations in the game with that gun. I have a weird fascination with heroes that have guns and he's the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom