• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

I've only played a few bot matches but is there noob friendlier heros that I can focus on playing while I get down the basics? I've never played a moba type game before.

I would do Dragon Knight, Tidehunter, Bounty Hunter, Ogre Magi, Sand King, Venomancer or Drow Ranger. All of them are very useful to your team and fairly straightforward to play.

If you play Venomancer, skill Venomous Gale first and wait til the enemy gets pretty close to your tower and shoot it at him and with you and a partner attacking, you should easily get first blood which will help you out a lot in the early game. If you watch Match 270048159, it has a pretty good example of that to show you what I mean.

elyetis

Techies have completed final concept art (for awhile now) and there's ample amounts of code for their abilities, enough to get them working with only some minor hacking by Cyborgmatt.

Whether we reached the goal or not, Techies were next. They knew Techies were going to win the poll and had worked on them, they basically just made it a dummy goal to sell more compendiums.

No other hero besides Legion Commander has as much done as Techies, although I think some Ember Spirit stuff will show up very soon. Techies are next, the goal was pointless (and Valve knew this) just to sell more and be a big end goal.
That's also what I think ( and hope ) will happen, it was really just my opinion about what Arkanius said Valve 'could' do, that is getting Ember Spirit and Terrorblade before even thought there is less work done on them than on Techies.

I've only played a few bot matches but is there noob friendlier heros that I can focus on playing while I get down the basics? I've never played a moba type game before.
kyAZBaa.png

vehn

Anyone know how to tell if you've gotten a shitty wizard courier from the plushies? Mine still on the way, but do they just give you a code to enter, and that code can be any of the items or a wizard?

Anyone know how to tell if you've gotten a shitty wizard courier from the plushies? Mine still on the way, but do they just give you a code to enter, and that code can be any of the items or a wizard?

if you get the shitty wizard, it comes with a special code to unlock the courier. All the other plushies come with a keyless crate that gives you one of a dozen or so items.

jrock

This queue taking forever this morning.
12+ minutes so far and nothing. Dota2 burnout or matchmaking bug?
It was so quick last week, getting games in under 2minutes regularly.

I am confident Arc Warden and Winter Wyvern will be CM ready next balance patch. I don't think Valve would work on Zet as much as it seems they are if that wasn't the case.

So lockless luckboxes are going for 50 bucks right now.

I have 4 of them. They're only going to go down as people get their ordered plushies, people return home from the international, and future store items come back in stock right?

So sell sell sell?

Aselith

I have 4 of them. They're only going to go down as people get their ordered plushies, people return home from the international, and future store items come back in stock right?

So sell sell sell?

For sure. They're in the pokeballs for $10. No way they stay that high.

Only reason they're that high is due to limited stock.

they sold thousands of Pokeballs, so as soon as those people get home and input the codes, the price is going to collapse. Then in a few months they'll be restocked and will probably stay stocked forever and the value will just continue to decline.

snack

So sell sell sell?
Sell now!!

arimanius

I would do Dragon Knight, Tidehunter, Bounty Hunter, Ogre Magi, Sand King, Venomancer or Drow Ranger. All of them are very useful to your team and fairly straightforward to play.

If you play Venomancer, skill Venomous Gale first and wait til the enemy gets pretty close to your tower and shoot it at him and with you and a partner attacking, you should easily get first blood which will help you out a lot in the early game. If you watch Match 270048159, it has a pretty good example of that to show you what I mean.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. I'll watch the match when I get a chance.

Don't know how I missed this. I went to the reddit newbie guide link and been reading up on that. Thanks.

You should totally read my guide. Someone liked it, and since when was someone ever wrong?

I want to play Dota, but now I'm just here listening to Disney songs.

Awesome thanks. I'll read up on it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would say when you get picked off (killed/ganked) 1 or 2 times and you fall behind with no hope of gaining extra xp/gold in the lane. Just say fuck it and go into that jungle (and stack ancients).

It kind of applies for most of the solo offlane heroes.
You don't want to feed their duo/tri-lane, better to just go farm somewhere else or in BH's case, get to lvl 6 and just roam for ganks.

Another note on BH:
A lot of people don't seem to get he's not a farmer. I mean; sure it's great if you get your basic items up before six, but he can bounce back really quickly from a shitty start. (THAT TRACK GOLD).
And for the love of god people just get 1 level of jinada during the laning fase to help with last hits, 2 levels of shadow strike is also more than enough (heck if you are doing well, you just need level 1) and max out that shuri toss first. Shuri does a shit load of damage early game and jinada is more effective mid to late game when bounty is dishing out more damage (since it's based on critical damage % from his normal damage, which isn't that good early game)
And the mother of all fails: DON'T GET BF ON HIM.

BH I feel is a really situational as how you level. If you can get XP but can't get any last hits, or you feel you really can't get close to the enemy, you should max Shuriken to have some burst damage. Maxing Shadow Walk first works well against blink or mobile heroes, since the bonus damage from Shadow Walk will make you do more in that first big crit out of invis early game, while max Jinada really pays off if you can just chase someone for at least 6 or 7 seconds, or can not get gibbed in a fight.

IMO, maxing Jinada first is usually a huge waste and does the least amount of damage in a gank and puts you at the biggest risk, and putting more points into it can be held off until after you finish shadow walk.

Here, I made a chart. If you can hit an enemy with two Jinadas, then it does work out to be the best, but if you only have a short amount of time to burst someone down, Shadow Walk does more damage for single strikes. Plus, you can just use Shadow Walk for anther 200+ damage attack right after you break invis the first time:
BHStats.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
they sold thousands of Pokeballs, so as soon as those people get home and input the codes, the price is going to collapse. Then in a few months they'll be restocked and will probably stay stocked forever and the value will just continue to decline.

Then how come the items come with the TI2 shirts are worth more than the actual shirts?

F!ReW!Re

BH I feel is a really situational as how you level. If you can get XP but can't get any last hits, or you feel you really can't get close to the enemy, you should max Shuriken to have some burst damage. Maxing Shadow Walk first works well against blink or mobile heroes, since the bonus damage from Shadow Walk will make you do more in that first big crit out of invis early game, while max Jinada really pays off if you can just chase someone for at least 6 or 7 seconds, or can not get gibbed in a fight.

IMO, maxing Jinada first is usually a huge waste and does the least amount of damage in a gank and puts you at the biggest risk, and putting more points into it can be held off until after you finish shadow walk.

Here, I made a chart. If you can hit an enemy with two Jinadas, then it does work out to be the best, but if you only have a short amount of time to burst someone down, Shadow Walk does more damage for single strikes:
BHStats.jpg

Sure, should nuance myself there, there's no definite way to build/skill him (kinda applies to all heroes).
But I've found maxing shuri toss before jinada ends up netting me a lot more kills in games because of the damage AND the range on shuri toss. Chasing someone early game will most of the time not provide the kill because tower diving is something that should be avoided early on. Heck you'll probably be stunned by the guy you are chasing or his lane partner. Which either prevents you from getting the kill or worse get killed yourself (if it happens within tower range).

I do always max shuri and jinada before maxing shadow walk though seeing as you only need level 2 to stay invisible permanently. That chart's pretty interesting btw, will have to give that build a go in my next BH game.

For sure. They're in the pokeballs for $10. No way they stay that high.

Only reason they're that high is due to limited stock.

Sell now!!

I guess I'm mostly scared that these will be like a series 1 or something and it will be my only chance to get some of the items before then they go up to like bonehook levels of ridiculousness. If you get some of the later pokeballs they might just get lockless luckbox ver 2 or something and everything out of that might suck.

I put two up just to see if I can actually just get $100 in my steam wallet that easily. Will feed steam addiction for a while.

Edit: Welp 1 sold.

2nd Edit: 100 dollars richer.

Artanisix

Sure, should nuance myself there, there's no definite way to build/skill him (kinda applies to all heroes).
But I've found maxing shuri toss before jinada ends up netting me a lot more kills in games because of the damage AND the range on shuri toss. Chasing someone early game will most of the time not provide the kill because tower diving is something that should be avoided early on. Heck you'll probably be stunned by the guy you are chasing or his lane partner. Which either prevents you from getting the kill or worse get killed yourself (if it happens within tower range).

I do always max shuri and jinada before maxing shadow walk though seeing as you only need level 2 to stay invisible permanently. That chart's pretty interesting btw, will have to give that build a go in my next BH game.

I prefer maxing shuriken toss too. Seriously can't underestimate the power of burst damage especially with the threat of TP counter-ganks.

F!ReW!Re

I guess I'm mostly scared that these will be like a series 1 or something and it will be my only chance to get some of the items before then they go up to like bonehook levels of ridiculousness. If you get some of the later pokeballs they might just get lockless luckbox ver 2 or something and everything out of that might suck.

I put two up just to see if I can actually just get $100 in my steam wallet that easily. Will feed steam addiction for a while.

Congrats!
I'm a bit in the same boat with the Fezzle-Feez the Magic Carpet Smeevil courier....
Hold on to it? Maybe see a price increase?
Maybe just use it and flaunt that shit or sell it now for 200$

I prefer maxing shuriken toss too. Seriously can't underestimate the power of burst damage especially with the threat of TP counter-ganks.

Yep bursting down that squishy support or enemy mid is great. Especially the mid needs to be taken down VERY quickly...

damn son. well played!

considering there are only 2 or 3 items out of 9 or 10 in the box that people would give more than $25 for, it's pretty shocking to see them sell for so much. Odds for getting something really good seem low.

Congrats!
I'm a bit in the same boat with the Fezzle-Feez the Magic Carpet Smeevil courier....
Hold on to it? Maybe see a price increase?
Maybe just use it and flaunt that shit or sell it now for 200$
I suspect it will hang around the price for a long time, so you have plenty of time to think about it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
damn son. well played!

considering there are only 2 or 3 items out of 9 or 10 in the box that people would give more than $25 for, it's pretty shocking to see them sell for so much. Odds for getting something really good seem low.

How much is the Death Prophet hat going for? My hope is to sell the two codes I get, and trade keys for the hat.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
As far as hero work is concerned for the future...
Legion Commander: Basically done, just some minor polish. She'll be out before August is over is my guess, possibly even this week if Valve is really ready to bounce back from TI3.
Pheonix: Nothing
Earth Spirit: Nothing
Abyssal Underlord: Lots of rough concepts for him, not much else
Ember Spirit: Very polished, near complete concept art. Very well could be entirely done concepting
Arc Warden: Very polished, near complete concept art. Same as Ember Spirit, although I don't see him being added until he's CM ready
Soul Keeper: Really rough, very very early concept art
Techies: Finished concept, abilities are being coded
Oracle: Nothing
Winter Wyvern: Voice actress credit, nothing else

If I'd guess the next three heroes, I'd pick...
Legion Commander -> Techies -> Ember Spirit

GODDAMIT VALVE STOP RELEASING BRAND NEW CONVOLUTED OP HEROES OVER TRIED AND TRUE OLD FAVORITES LIKE TERRORBLADE AND PIT-LORD THAT HAVE BEEN IN DOTA 1 FOR GODDAMN 6+ YEARS.

/end rant

Seriously though, who the hell wants Ember Spirit, Arc Warden, and
Techies
in the game??? Nothing but broken ass s2 heroes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I want Ember Spirit. Ambivalent on Arc Warden. Dreading Techies. Interested in Frost Wyrm cause I need a new support hero.

mkenyon

Banned
The real thanks should go to JakofTheShadows for getting me a TI3 ticket in the first place. Just paying it forward!

Any fans of Wagamama, Aui_2000, or Sheever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom