• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotto

http://dotabuff.com/matches/239301562

Games like this. I had no idea how to jungle with Doom and was following one of the top in-game guides. I ended up walking back to the fountain a lot so I missed out on a bunch of xp/gold. By 10 minutes I was only level 4 while everyone else was 6+ and most of our team weren't doing so hot during the laning phase. I believe we were down 0-10 before our team even got a first blood, it looked pretty much hopeless for us. It's boggling how we even won this game but we managed to capitalize in team fights with our AoE's and map presence (Tinker/Spectre, although they weren't the best team contributors...). Good stuff.

Nokterian

1368091055_warlock.jpg

I did that a few times,fun fun fun! Smacking them on the ground and laughing at there deaths!

Brick

So, I finally decided to give this game a real shot, now that they've added the full tutorial.

Things were going well for the first little bit. I completed everything in the tutorial up to the first full match against other players with a limited roster. I was all excited that I kind of got the gist of the game and, while I didn't expect to even do all that well, I thought I could kind of work my way though it.

It was a massacre. I spent more time dead than alive. Due to the loss of gold on each death, I wasn't able to afford my first non-starter item (Boots of speed, I think they're called) until 25 min into the game. I played as defensively as I could, but it wasn't even near enough. All the time I apologized to my team that was less than understanding of my status as a new player (Which I didn't understand, considering that this was part of the tutorial. Aren't the people I'm playing with also doing the tutorial?) The game ended without me even getting a single assist.

Then, as the score card came up, I saw three little player cards come up at the bottom of the scoreboard. They were cards for two members of Team Liquid and One for some European team I didn't recognize. The names matched three of the players on the other team that had just destroyed us. Did I just get matched with three professional players in my first actual game of Dota? Why would their matchmaking system do that?

Needless to say, the whole experience was really disheartening. I really, really want to love this game, it just makes it so difficult.

Artanisix

So, I finally decided to give this game a real shot, now that they've added the full tutorial.

Things were going well for the first little bit. I completed everything in the tutorial up to the first full match against other players with a limited roster. I was all excited that I kind of got the gist of the game and, while I didn't expect to even do all that well, I thought I could kind of work my way though it.

It was a massacre. I spent more time dead than alive. Due to the loss of gold on each death, I wasn't able to afford my first non-starter item (Boots of speed, I think they're called) until 25 min into the game. I played as defensively as I could, but it wasn't even near enough. All the time I apologized to my team that was less than understanding of my status as a new player (Which I didn't understand, considering that this was part of the tutorial. Aren't the people I'm playing with also doing the tutorial?) The game ended without me even getting a singe assist.

Then, as the score card came up, I saw three little player cards come up at the bottom of the scoreboard. They were cards for two members of Team Liquid and One for some European team I didn't recognize. The names matched three of the players on the other team that had just destroyed us. Did I just get matched with three professional players in my first actual game of Dota? Why would their matchmaking system do that?

Needless to say, the whole experience was really disheartening. I really, really want to love this game, it just makes it so difficult.

Nope! The professional names you see are card drops. They're like collectible little items you can get after each game.

The limited hero pool is a real mess right now, I don't blame you for feeling frustrated at it. It's mixing experienced players and new players into it. I recommend just skipping it and going to regular matchmaking. You'll be matched up with people who are far closer to your skill level there.

Nokterian

It was a massacre. I spent more time dead than alive. Due to the loss of gold on each death, I wasn't able to afford my first non-starter item (Boots of speed, I think they're called) until 25 min into the game. I played as defensively as I could, but it wasn't even near enough. All the time I apologized to my team that was less than understanding of my status as a new player (Which I didn't understand, considering that this was part of the tutorial. Aren't the people I'm playing with also doing the tutorial?) The game ended without me even getting a singe assist.

Welcome to dota 2,you suck! ;)

All i can say is,go to purgegamers.com his website gives a lot info and guides and video's. But also keep in mind that the game really starts around 100 hours of playing. You need to bite it and go through and try to play with friends or here from gaf. Everyone who plays for the first time even me was afraid (and i didn't have a tutorial at all).

Yes it is difficult but that makes it rewarding,i never had this with any other game and clocking at 245 hours and i am still at the top of the iceberg. And all the things Artanisx said is true :) I went straight in hell and back again.

Brick

Nope! The professional names you see are card drops. They're like collectible little items you can get after each game.

The limited hero pool is a real mess right now, I don't blame you for feeling frustrated at it. It's mixing experienced players and new players into it. I recommend just skipping it and going to regular matchmaking. You'll be matched up with people who are far closer to your skill level there.

That's not a bad idea, though it still seems daunting. Is there any benefit to "officially" completing the tutorial?

TommyT

http://dotabuff.com/matches/239301562

Games like this. I had no idea how to jungle with Doom and was following one of the top in-game guides. I ended up walking back to the fountain a lot so I missed out on a bunch of xp/gold. By 10 minutes I was only level 4 while everyone else was 6+ and most of our team weren't doing so hot during the laning phase. I believe we were down 0-10 before our team even got a first blood, it looked pretty much hopeless for us. It's boggling how we even won this game but we managed to capitalize in team fights with our AoE's and map presence (Tinker/Spectre, although they weren't the best team contributors...). Good stuff.

Why not practice that in a bot game?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

It was a massacre. I spent more time dead than alive. Due to the loss of gold on each death, I wasn't able to afford my first non-starter item (Boots of speed, I think they're called) until 25 min into the game. I played as defensively as I could, but it wasn't even near enough. All the time I apologized to my team that was less than understanding of my status as a new player (Which I didn't understand, considering that this was part of the tutorial. Aren't the people I'm playing with also doing the tutorial?) The game ended without me even getting a single assist.

Post the match ID and we can let you know. Most likely they were fanboys.

Brick

Welcome to dota 2,you suck! ;)

All i can say is,go to purgegamers.com his website gives a lot info and guides and video's. But also keep in mind that the game really starts around 100 hours of playing. You need to bite it and go through and try to play with friends or here from gaf. Everyone who plays for the first time even me was afraid (and i didn't have a tutorial at all).

Yes it is difficult but that makes it rewarding,i never had this with any other game and clocking at 245 hours and i am still at the top of the iceberg. And all the things Artanisx said is true :) I went straight in hell and back again.

This seems like a really good site, I'll have to dig around there. Unfortunately, no one I know really plays PC games. Is there a Gaf group that's for newer players? I don't want to stink up anyone else's high level games.

Artanisix

That's not a bad idea, though it still seems daunting. Is there any benefit to "officially" completing the tutorial?

Just some cosmetics. It's not a big deal completing it. The small hero pool might be attractive but it's not worth the stress of experienced players shitting all over your plate.

You can just ask in the gaf channel if anyone is doing low matchmaking games, I've seen it pop up more than a few times.

Anteo

This seems like a really good site, I'll have to dig around there. Unfortunately, no one I know really plays PC games. Is there a Gaf group that's for newer players? I don't want to stink up anyone else's high level games.

There is a guild and people generally create parties to play, someone needs to invite you from inside the client.

Dahbomb

You should probably play more bot matches against Insane difficulty to get a better feel for the game. Probably go into a co-op game or something. Limited pool is sort of a clusterfuck now, I would avoid it. If you really want to play against humans you should try the regular match making instead or get on the NeoGAF channel and ask for a newbie game.

Brick

Perfect. I'll throw that up here later.

You know, DotaGAF gets a bad rap. You guys are alright. Thanks everyone for the help!

TommyT

The other day I noticed that I could actually queue with a party into Limited Pool... is that supposed to be happening? I haven't played in a few days, didn't know it was a known thing or what.

Lotto

Why not practice that in a bot game?

I would have if I knew I was going to be playing him. I don't have time to practice bots with every hero all the time. We were playing single draft and I was dealt a hand of heroes that were either not familiar to me or a hero I didn't want to play at the time. I was familiar enough with Doom to try my hand at it but when it came to jungling I guess I didn't know as much as I thought I did. You're right though, I should have read up on it a bit more (the guide I was using in-game was very sparse with info).

I'm here to publicly admit that I am well over 250 hours into this game and I still don't know how to pull or stack, much less identify the moments of the game where I should be doing that.

That felt good.

Vaporak

As I understand it you get a cosmetic set for doing the tutorial, so all the dota veterans are swarming the tutorial now. :/ Hopefully in a week or two they'll all be done and the tutorial will be full of newbies like it's supposed to be.

But do you fell like learning those things?
I do. Especially since a few matches ago my lane buddy asked me to pull and I couldn't. It was an awkward moment. I said I'd try but all I did was mess up the timing of the pull and I got back to his side embarrassed.

Artanisix

Added Abaddon!

GAMEPLAY
- Death Prophet: Fixed AI on Exorcism spirits that caused them to sometimes be less efficient and linger on units far from you
- Doom: Fixed Doom not disabling Flak Cannon
- Huskar: Fixed being able to attack while he is leaping in Life Break
- Jakiro: Fixed Liquid Fire debuff being removed by Manta/BKB
- Lich: Fixed the order of damage instances on Frost Nova
- Omniknight: Fixed his spells not working on Mechanical units
- Phantom Assassin: Fixed Stifling Dagger projectile speed traveling a little too slow
- Sven: Fixed Storm Bolt aoe not hitting invisible units
- Fixed Siege not getting increased damage when the Ranged Barracks dies
- Fixed Buckler and Mekansm +2 active armor buff stacking
- Fixed Vladmir's Offering not working on Siege units

TRAINING
- Added match making option to opt out of Limited Hero mode
- Fixed some players not receiving item rewards after completing training tasks
- Play Tab will now remember your previous selection
- Fixed various progression bugs in Mechanics II
- Fixed disabled skill assignment using CTRL+Ability when in tutorial

COMPENDIUM
- Added Player Card rewards. Unlock the Smeevil Crab mount by stamping complete teams
- Added the International Fantasy Challenge.

UI
- Added a hotkey to Select All Units
- Added a hotkey to activate Speed Burst on your flying courier
- Minor reorganization to control settings page
- Fixed Replay Speed Decrease hotkey missing from the configuration panel
- Increased the maximum number of total spectator slots from 14 to 22
- Removed Favorite hero count limit
- Moved Solo Only Matchmaking to a setting on the main Find Match tab.
- New Tournament Drops:
... When a player reaches a Godlike streak
... When a Courier is killed
... When a player buys a Divine Rapier
... When Earthshaker Echoslam's 5 heroes
- Fixed Quick Cast bug preventing use on neutrals/couriers

VISUAL
- Fixed Global Silence not showing the visual effect on Familiars even though they are silenced
- Updated ability icons for Dark Seer and Dragon Knight
- Added new disarmed effect
- Fixes for a few portrait based effects, such as Enigma's vortex

AUDIO
- updated Mekansm SFX.

PLATFORM
- Added support for Mac OS X
Minimum Mac OS X Requirements:
OS X Lion 10.7 4GB RAM, 4GB Hard drive space. nVidia 320M or higher, or Radeon 7000 or higher, or Intel HD 3000 or higher
- Added support for Linux
Minimum Linux System Requirements:
Ubuntu 12.04, dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeaon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1, 4GB Hard Drive Space, OpenAL Compatible Sound Card
Mac and Linux support is early and experimental. They will be remain in Dota 2 Test until the testing phase is complete. For reporting bugs, please see the Dota 2 GitHub at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2/issues For community discussion of the Mac and Linux versions head to the Dota 2 Dev forums at http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447

WORKSHOP
- Added Mok mandrill courier
- Added Defense Grid announcer
- Fixed orientation on Bounty Hunter's Jinada Glows on workshop items
- Fixed Nether Ward effect orientation for workshop items
- Added support for workshop authored effects on Kunkka's weapon

BOTS
- Bots will no longer stare at a dropped gem, futilely trying to destroy it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Perfect. I'll throw that up here later.

You know, DotaGAF gets a bad rap. You guys are alright. Thanks everyone for the help!

We get a bad rap from babbies (and LoLgaf players that don't even play dota), if you have the balls to come in the thread and ask for help, and don't act like the dota messiah in your second game (and start blaming your teammates), then you'll get tons of info and help from folks. Hell, many of the high tier players even get on smurfs to play/carry noobies all the time.

edit: Also sometimes newer people listen to the dota gaf streams, mumble, or inhouse chat and don't realize that most of the people trash talking, trading jabs, and spouting inside jokes at each other have been playing together on mumble for 3+ years now. I remember I was shittalking myself on a stream during IHL and it started 5 pages of drama LOL.

Caffeine

we get a bad rap from babbies (and LoLgaf players that don't even play dota), if you have the balls to come in the thread and ask for help, and don't act like the dota messiah in your second game (and start blaming your teammates), then you'll get tons of info and help from folks. Hell, many of the high tier players even get on smurfs to play/carry noobies all the time.

that sounds very reassuring that gaf has a great dota community willing to help us newbies when I start playing later today I am sure I will come back with lots of questions.

Zoon

For some reason my fps is dropping to 3 every 10 seconds even without any effects on and playing at the lowest resolution.Any ideas on what is causing that?

KingKong

Huh, so do you just need to stamp one team to get the crab courier? I thought you needed an item and a specifically colored smeevil to unlock it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom