• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Rather than a surrender button, I wish Valve would have a tutorial or something on how to respond when you're down. Merlini addressed this topic about a month ago and the basic gist of it according to him was that as a team, you need re-establish territory you can safely farm in on the map. Too many times I've been a part of games in which instead of trying to at least take back our own jungle (through at the very least warding around entrances), the team just continually retreats and turtles near a tower as a group which just exacerbates the situation and makes it a painfully slow defeat.
That would be awesome.

If people were this coordinated and calm in the skill bracket where this stuff occurs, there wouldn't be a need for a surrender button. I just want to slap the guy deciding that going afk in the fountain after berating your teammates is the proper response to being behind in a game. >_>

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Pick blue guy. Blue guy always wins

ibtlWaKzdqWLdz.gif

That would be awesome.

If people were this coordinated and calm in the skill bracket where this stuff occurs, there wouldn't be a need for a surrender button. I just want to slap the guy deciding that going afk in the fountain after berating your teammates is the proper response to being behind in a game. >_>
Well, the reality isn't so pretty. Supports who are behind cant counter ward effectively, so even if you do get to ward the enemy team's supports who are rich from being ahead will just counter ward the shit out of you. That is if they don't already have a gem. Merlini's advice is great, but unrealistic when you're talking about pub play.

Artanisix

Well, the reality isn't so pretty. Supports who are behind cant counter ward effectively, so even if you do get to ward the enemy team's supports who are rich from being ahead will just counter ward the shit out of you. That is if they don't already have a gem. Merlini's advice is great, but unrealistic when you're talking about pub play.

I'll take your word for it because you're a masochist and only solo queue.

Low Tier

Pillow the guys that watched u play panda asked if u have a youtube channel. What should I tell them?

Arkanius

DOTA2 Test Client is available for Linux and Mac
You can't really say how excited I am

That and the prospect of maybe getting Abaddon today

Is this a good 'first MOBA' to try? Is it the 'flashiest', for lack of a better term? And can you practice against bots before jumping into the online fray?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Is this a good 'first MOBA' to try? Is it the 'flashiest', for lack of a better term? And can you practice against bots before jumping into the online fray?

No. League of Legends is less punishing, however Dota 2 has the better tutorials.

It looks better than LoL, but it's palette isn't as bright which bugs some people for some reason.

And both games have bots.

Einbroch

Banned

I'd personally try League before Dota 2, just to get your toes wet. League has a god awful "tutorial", but the game itself is easier to get into it. Once you get comfortable with the mechanics and how it works, try Dota 2, and go from there.

Because you have to play a man down for 40 more minutes?
Because people have come to understand that the way you end a game is by hitting the "leave game" button. That game wasn't anywhere near over(though we were very likely to lose), because of the way the system is currently set up individuals get to decide when the game ends with no team discussion involved.

Ultrabum

But then you don't get your delicious, delicious battle points

Concede should cost battle points, there it's an option and no one would use it. Win win.

( I always stay after leavers to just fuck around and do fun things / strange item builds, I rather enjoy it)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
A little past 500 matches. Well over 1000 hours, but sometimes i just leave the client open.

Sometimes I'm pretty good, but mostly I'm pretty bad.

Why have you played 500 matches but not tried all the heroes at least once? I think that'd be the biggest single thing you could do to improve your game.

Randdalf

Yes. I have a friend who had never played a proper PC game before (or at least for a long time), and he managed to get going in a few days. I think the real difference between LoL and Dota is how deep you can go, on the surface they share many similarities.

BeesEight

I like this setup too, aggressive jungling strats can be quite fun and effective.

At first I wasn't as big of a fan of it. But then I thought the Enigma can get free denies with Eidolons on the carry and the Silencer and Jak can gank if the trilane didn't work at all. Plus, once Tinker gets his boots he'll be able to open up a lane for the supports to farm up the potentially lost xp and gold.

And if Tinker can TP on the eidolons, that would be pretty scary too. That, and lots of teams don't expect an aggressive jungle which could work in your advantage.

Do you CM Bo? You've got some good team comps.

Glix

Why have you played 500 matches but not tried all the heroes at least once? I think that'd be the biggest single thing you could do to improve your game.

Because when I don't play support the team ends up with no warding and it is the fucking worst.

When I'm in a five stack I have more leeway to experiment with different guys, and I can Doom and Luna... but I don't know a lot of the other carries.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Because when I don't play support the team ends up with no warding and it is the fucking worst.

When I'm in a five stack I have more leeway to experiment with different guys, and I can Doom and Luna... but I don't know a lot of the other carries.

I understand that frustration, but like you said, you don't know a lot of the other carries. It's very difficult to fight against a hero when you don't fully understand their capabilities. Playing all of them, even if those matches aren't all great, is IMO a crucial thing to do.

So I have this in my library now, will it stay there? I always thought that F2P games only stayed in your library as long as you had them installed. If I install it then uninstall it later will it be removed from my library?

Sibylus

Banned
At first I wasn't as big of a fan of it. But then I thought the Enigma can get free denies with Eidolons on the carry and the Silencer and Jak can gank if the trilane didn't work at all. Plus, once Tinker gets his boots he'll be able to open up a lane for the supports to farm up the potentially lost xp and gold.

And if Tinker can TP on the eidolons, that would be pretty scary too. That, and lots of teams don't expect an aggressive jungle which could work in your advantage.

Do you CM Bo? You've got some good team comps.
Enigma would also basically steal gold and xp from the pull camp, if not outright thwart attempts at pulling altogether.

Re CM: I do enjoy playing it, but I don't really hop into a CM queue unless it's once in a blue moon. I do however watch a lot of competitive drafting, so I absorb a great deal by osmosis.

Arkanius

So I have this in my library now, will it stay there? I always thought that F2P games only stayed in your library as long as you had them installed. If I install it then uninstall it later will it be removed from my library?

It will never be removed from your library
Because you will never stop playing it

Etnos

Banned
DOTA2 Test Client is available for Linux and Mac
You can't really say how excited I am

That and the prospect of maybe getting Abaddon today

I just finished downloading the test client for OSX, It won't run: Missing executable...

Am I doing something wrong here? or wtf?

Caffeine

I wrote a guide a few months ago for newbies. Not the greatest thing ever written, but I think it touches on a lot of basics for new players and problems they might have. I tried to answer major issues I had when I was new.

What an anticlimatic launch. No huge banner or major update. Hell, reading the launch FAQ, it sounds like you are added to a queue to be accepted into the game. It really sounds no different from early beta. So uh, hooray?

Also we will be moved to Community in 30 days, so soak it in now.

thanks for the guide i will take a look at it on my way home

this thread has convinced me to start playing the game once i get home from school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom