• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clawww

at first we were getting owned pretty bad and I was getting a bit tight
tumblr_mq1s66fCd81rqw994o1_r3_250.gif

but we managed to hold our base and our rax despite the odds
tumblr_mpfn0jdXG91qeeqito8_r1_250.gif

then we found some farm and got our items
tumblr_mq6wphop8e1qagxt1o1_250.gif

we won another fight and took their racks
tumblr_mq1s66fCd81rqw994o3_r1_250.gif

after that we were ballin and it was an easy finish
tumblr_mlenic3NBj1r8d79lo1_250.gif

im so fuckin sorry

Shinypogs

Started playing co-op against bots tonight, way more fun with other people even if we tend to be disorganized. I'm pretty sure I'm the worst clockwerk ever though. I kill more enemy heroes with rocket flare than I do by hooking onto them and cogging them in with me. I spend most of each game alone in a lane just pushing to the next tower and occasionally sending a helpful rocket flare elsewhere on the map. I imagine once I get more comfortable with the game I'll find it easier to roam the map and try to catch the AI when it's vulnerable.

Sorry for all the babble.

So end up in a random draft. Our first pick afk picks Meepo... Welp GG. But hey look Huskar on the board. 1st blood a QOP mid then proceed to stomp them to a tune of 24 kills with a great lich assist. Feels so good. Then I remember I picked Huskar and feel shame.

What's the best way to get better solo queuing? Been playing mostly random for a few months now. Have 150 wins with a 48% win percentage. Looking for ways to up my game.

More random? Focus on certain heroes? What do people here do.

Wunder

Just get into a habit of cancelling it (default key: S), it will make you 90% better at landing nice paths.

On that topic, is there a better hotkey than s? I always see people cancelling shit no problem but I have never actually cancelled an ulti/spell in combat successfully. I just can't reach that button in time.

Just get into a habit of cancelling it (default key: S), it will make you 90% better at landing nice paths.

Thanks for this. I have thousands of hours spent ingame but don't know this. I know you can cancel skill animations (NP teleport, Magnus RP) but didn't bother to learn or look up how to perform it. :p I tried cancelling in the past by "moving after the skill is cast", of course it didn't work.

On that topic, is there a better hotkey than s? I always see people cancelling shit no problem but I have never actually cancelled an ulti/spell in combat successfully. I just can't reach that button in time.

wait where else is your ring finger?

does your hand rest on qwer?

Atlantis

Cancelling spells is something I always mean to work on, but never remember to do until after that Light Strike Array hits nothing.

Clawww

I don't think S (stop) cancels most spells, you have to use H (hold).

I only use Stop; as far as I know, it cancels every spell. It won't cancel TPs though, I believe.

But yeah, once you get the hang of it you'll be cancelling shit left and right, even bigboy spells like Reverse Polarity (that one is particularly fun because you can get away with cancelling it after the flash).

Boken

Banned
i cant tell if you guys are talking about cancelling the backswing of animations or actually stopping the cast of abilities that have started

ksan

i cant tell if you guys are talking about cancelling the backswing of animations or actually stopping the cast of abilities that have started

well considering you can just move command out of backswings...
s for cancelling spell casts

Clawww

What's the best way to get better solo queuing? Been playing mostly random for a few months now. Have 150 wins with a 48% win percentage. Looking for ways to up my game.

Try to get the most out of it for yourself. One thing I find that helps a lot is to look for openings everywhere on the map. Always carry a TP (I tend to buy two at a time when I have spare gold lying around) and be aggressive about rotating and counter-ganking wherever you see action. When a lane is empty and being pushed out, TP there to farm and push it back. Good use of TPs will pay for itself and help you build a lead and a presence. Always buy some detection if no one else does, even if you're playing carry. Deny creeps while laning (I often see people simply not deny for whatever reason). Block your creeps if the lane is farther out than you'd like, on top of stacking and pulling. Stack creep camps and ancients while you farm and when you walk through the jungle. In general, there's a lot of little things it's easy to get lazy about.

Boken

Banned
set spacebar = stop
how do you post that many new girl gifs and not actually have dreamboat zooey deschanel in any of them
tumblr_m8lpyuYkvi1qmqy5mo1_500.gif

well considering you can just move command out of backswings...
s for cancelling spell casts
i blame rhophie for confusing me
I know you can cancel skill animations (NP teleport, Magnus RP) but didn't bother to learn or look up how to perform it. :p I tried cancelling in the past by "moving after the skill is cast", of course it didn't work.

I use X, but if you have trouble reaching S, X is probably harder. You could always put it on spacebar.

Edit: beaten

set spacebar = stop

i blame rhophie for confusing me

I'll try this. Seems more convenient than "S".

Since we're talking about key configs...
I find it easier to place active items in alt + Q/W/E
than alt + A/S/D.

I always place Wand on alt Q, Mana/Phase Boots on alt W and other utility items on alt E.
If I get blink dagger, I place it on alt Q and the wand goes to alt E.
When active items amount reach 4-6, I sometimes forget to press the items in the lower row.

additionally, I'm very prone to forgetting using Soul Ring prior to casting spells starting midgame.

LordCanti

I waited fifteen minutes for a compendium match and when we finally got in, one of our players quit immediately. How long do I have to wait for this to show up on the recently played games tab so that I can report him for wasting fifteen of my precious minutes? ><

Edit: Got into a match after another fifteen minutes, against people with way more experience. I shouldn't have tried compendium, smeevil treats or no.

NBtoaster

I only use Stop; as far as I know, it cancels every spell. It won't cancel TPs though, I believe.

But yeah, once you get the hang of it you'll be cancelling shit left and right, even bigboy spells like Reverse Polarity (that one is particularly fun because you can get away with cancelling it after the flash).

Wow you're right, I've always used H which is much more awkward to press.

Hope this improves my Lesh.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am I the only sucker in the world to have mapped move camera on WASD?

I then have my skills and items on the keys surrounding WASD. I just find it way to weird moving the camera around with my mouse.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Am I the only sucker in the world to have mapped move camera on WASD?

I then have my skills and items on the keys surrounding WASD. I just find it way to weird moving the camera around with my mouse.

Do what works for you, but realize that trying to move the camera and use items / skills with one hand is going to put you at a handicap.

Hylian7

Meepo is so damn easy to counter. Seriously, a Sniper could pick them off with no problem. Plus there was a Lich on the other team. Also that he's hard to play doesn't help...

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meepo is so damn easy to counter. Seriously, a Sniper could pick them off with no problem. Plus there was a Lich on the other team. Also that he's hard to play doesn't help...

That Zol? guy seemed like a huge dick as well, superiority complex much?

Do what works for you, but realize that trying to move the camera and use items / skills with one hand is going to put you at a handicap.

Yeah I figure this is the case, but for some reason I just cannot get used to moving the camera with just the mouse. I might have to dedicate some time to getting used to it.

BeBen

Banned
Yesterday i was still on a 8 games win streak and decided to gamble in all-pick

Randomed Bristleback, fucking horrible hero...wow, not surprised he wasn't picked or banned at TI3

Good news is, when i need a win Rubick (9-2) and Nyx (6-2) are reliable picks for me

Shinypogs

Your steam was interesting to watch, regardless of how the last game panned out and the amount of time spent just searching for games.

Hylian7

That Zol guy seemed like a huge dick as well, superiority complex much?

Yeah I figure this is the case, but for some reason I just cannot get used to moving the camera with just the mouse. I might have to dedicate some time to getting used to it.

It was typical doto logic: "Everyone is bad but me. Even goes for pro players."

red731

Nice games yesterday where I learned bunch of new stuff and played Lich for the first time...
I just want to say, that I have found local old school friend who has 3,269 hours played.

He will be my mentor now. And here I go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom