• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

you were streaming? lol

I was the tree. I have no idea what the ck was doing besides raging all game.

I laughed when I saw he went Shadow Blade and escaped after I had him pinned down when he revived with the Aegis.

Sniper could just pick Meepos off with no problem since he kept bashing them, and if he ever so much as saw one I was dead.

Hylian7

So I've been experimenting a bit with Doom Jungle.

First off, a disclaimer: I treat this like Lifestealer jungling. When someone asks how to do it, the answer usually is "Don't, but if you have to..." That said, lets go on with my findings.

The first thing I wanted to test was Basilius vs no Basilius. The answer: Basilius, definitely. Even if it makes your Midas or whatever late, it's absolutely necessary as you are going to need both Devour and Scorched Earth.

Lets talk creeps now. Note that I'm only doing creeps that actually have abilities you can get.

Foresttrollhighpriest.jpg

This little guy is the best! He has a FIVE MANA HEAL FOR 15 HP ON A ONE SECOND COOLDOWN that you can spam, as well as a 2 mana per second mana regen aura. This means more Devours and more Scorched Earths. This is easily the best creep you can get. Now this Mana Aura doesn't stack with Basilius, so if you end up getting lucky and getting one of these, you can skip the Basilius, but otherwise you need one.

These guys have Unholy Aura, which gives you 4 HP regen, which is very nice.

These guys have Toughness Aura, which gives you 3 armor. Much better than Doom's 0 armor, and is the next best thing to get at level 1 if you can't get the Hill Troll Priest.

These guys are okay, but I don't think they are really worth spamming Raise Dead as it runs you out of mana quickly. The Skeletons die quickly, but output good damage. If you're going to be ganking though, the net is awesome.

These guys are okay on ganks, but still, the Thunder Clap costs 100 mana, which is way too much and not worth using to farm. I would generally avoid grabbing these guys.

These give you 15 attack speed, which is also pretty good in the early stages of your farming. The Stomp is great for ganks as well.

Also good at ganking, and really underestimated.

These are better once people have boots, as they give a movement speed aura.

These are awesome as people get farmed. I would start going for them mid-game, since they have a 30% damage increase aura as well as a 200% crit with a 20% chance.

This one is situational. It has a Mana Burn which burns 100 mana. This can be nice assisting in ganks early game, but again, there's usually better options. Depends on the situation.

This has basically a Diffusal Blade without the mana burning. Use on Warlock's Golem, as it will do 400 damage to it.

As for everything else, don't bother, it's not worth it.

And I guess this is "You wish" tier:

ElyrionX

How do you guys feel about babysitting friends who are completely new to the game?

On the one hand, it's a chance to establish good habits like sharing the load on wards and couriers. On the other hand, it can get frustrating when they just don't listen to your advice in-game (not helping to defend when you are under siege causing you to lose the game was the most frustrating thing ever) in addition to picking idiotic heroes like Riki and Sniper 90% of the time .

And even so, the learning curve is so steep that you would expect to lose most of your games if you are partying with at least two noobs.

F!ReW!Re

How do you guys feel about babysitting friends who are completely new to the game?

On the one hand, it's a chance to establish good habits like sharing the load on wards and couriers. On the other hand, it can get frustrating when they just don't listen to your advice in-game (not helping to defend when you are under siege causing you to lose the game was the most frustrating thing ever) in addition to picking idiotic heroes like Riki and Sniper 90% of the time .

And even so, the learning curve is so steep that you would expect to lose most of your games if you are partying with at least two noobs.

I recommend taking them into a couple of bot games and try explain the absolute basics.
Then have them watch the tutorials in the OP.
Then do some co-op bot games with them and after that some normal games.

If they still don't want to listen, fuck them and let them solo queue until they understand that they need your help....

red731

Am I the only sucker in the world to have mapped move camera on WASD?

I then have my skills and items on the keys surrounding WASD. I just find it way to weird moving the camera around with my mouse.

I use the same and I am new to the game. It fits me pretty good.

Am I able to watch the "free to play" documentary anywhere?

Can I watch the free to play documentary anywhere?

Not yet.
Not yet.

First off, a disclaimer: I treat this like Lifestealer jungling. When someone asks how to do it, the answer usually is "Don't, but if you have to..." That said, lets go on with my findings.

Thanks for the great post! Gonna try those tips in a bot match later tonight.

ink4n3

These guys have Toughness Aura, which gives you 3 armor. Much better than Doom's 0 armor, and is the next best thing to get at level 1 if you can't get the Hill Troll Priest.

Can you devour the bird dude at level 1?

Randdalf

I'm experimenting with Chen, going to watch some replays of Puppey/Akke during TI3 doing their thing. I'm finding that getting off all the micro you need is very satisfying, but at the same time, it's very easy to get flustered during fights. What sort of bindings do you guys use? I have 1 set to my hero, 2 set as a control group, 3 to select all units, tab to cycle between units and z to select all other units at the moment. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard that you can hold down a key then right click to send all your other units to an objective but I'm not sure what that key is.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Yesterday i was still on a 8 games win streak and decided to gamble in all-pick

Randomed Bristleback, fucking horrible hero...wow, not surprised he wasn't picked or banned at TI3

Good news is, when i need a win Rubick (9-2) and Nyx (6-2) are reliable picks for me

He's a great hero but requires solo xp and he needs to snowball.

So after watching a bunch of TI3 streams, I think I'm actually going to really get into this game. I've played for about 10 hours total since getting a beta invite forever ago, most of that being bot matches or just messing around with a friend trying to teach me basic mechanics. I'm going through the new tutorial now and I've gotten to the part where I have to destroy the two mid towers 10 different times using different heroes. This has been pretty helpful for learning fundamentals, but what should I really be focusing on here? Should I be trying to do it in as little time as possible? Should I play super conservatively and try not to die at all and not care about how long it takes?

I know in a 'for-realsies' match you should be playing as conservatively as possible and strike when the other team makes a dumb or risky move. The AI in these tutorials is pretty dumb and makes risky and/or dumb moves pretty frequently. I feel like this is only going to teach me bad habits and hurt me once I get into real matches, playing people who are not dumb bots.

Opinions? Advice?

I found out you can cancel leshrek's stun very late in to the animation. I wished clicking away would cancel the animation instead of having to spam stop.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So after watching a bunch of TI3 streams, I think I'm actually going to really get into this game. I've played for about 10 hours total since getting a beta invite forever ago, most of that being bot matches or just messing around with a friend trying to teach me basic mechanics. I'm going through the new tutorial now and I've gotten to the part where I have to destroy the two mid towers 10 different times using different heroes. This has been pretty helpful for learning fundamentals, but what should I really be focusing on here? Should I be trying to do it in as little time as possible? Should I play super conservatively and try not to die at all and not care about how long it takes?

I know in a 'for-realsies' match you should be playing as conservatively as possible and strike when the other team makes a dumb or risky move. The AI in these tutorials is pretty dumb and makes risky and/or dumb moves pretty frequently. I feel like this is only going to teach me bad habits and hurt me once I get into real matches, playing people who are not dumb bots.

Opinions? Advice?

Bot matches are fine for learning the fundamentals. Last hits, denying, stacking/pulling, jungling, learning the items and the basics of different heroes. If you have a grasp on all of that you are probably already better than 50% of pub players. The rest you can only learn in real matches (in my opinion, of course)

red731

I need help on how to set my keybinds. I was reading the interwebs and found out that not many people use moving camera by wsad, as did I, yesterday and prior to that.

I am rerearning to click on minimap and just use the edges - I feel like I need to learn how to do that properly. Since trying the edges and not keys for camera movement, I feel kinda "in a rush".

I tried LEGACY key settings and num pad as inventory is too far gone.
Any tips on how to set up hotkeys be it for camera movement keys or for edge scrolling?

Bot matches are fine for learning the fundamentals. Last hits, denying, stacking/pulling, jungling, learning the items and the basics of different heroes. If you have a grasp on all of that you are probably already better than 50% of pub players. The rest you can only learn in real matches (in my opinion, of course)

This is good feedback. Thank you!

Forkball

Has anyone else been glitchy or laggy recently? I had to abandon a game a day or two ago because it was extremely laggy right at the start. I just joined another game, where it lagged, I couldn't see particle effects or my chat, and two other people in the game were also have connection problems (fortunately the enemy NP abandoned so I could leave). I just verified the integrity of my cache, but I probably won't play again until after the next update in hopes for some magic fix.

Yes. and cyborgmatt hasn't posted that as present in the game files. maybe it will be a future set?

I would like to see an album of all those dota 2 artworks be it official or by the cosmetic creators. :)

Opinions? Advice?

Yep bot matches help to learn the fundamentals and get you to know the heroes you like. Just choose heroes appealing to you and test their skills up to level 6. Other than that, you can work on denies, learn the map and the best items for your hero and starting itens. Learn the best places to put wards, learn how to use the bottle, learn to carry TPs and so on. Pub matches arent that hard, actually, I have 60 wins (no that much) and still find players that have no idea what theyre doing because they dont know their heroes yet (they just random all the time) or dont even know theres a deny button. At your low level it shouldnt be a problem to fight against other players. And only human matches will show you how to communicate, stick together, call missing and stuff like that.

zulfate

Lol oh man i had my first match were a teammate just kept shit talking to me the whole time because i died first but it truly was my worst match. I reported him but still i felt bad.....worst feeling have had playing games since forever. Ive had 2 matches on all pick in which it feels like some of these players are not noobs at all.

This is weird and frustrating. I'm terribly delayed and disconnects constantly in the client but internet outside of steam is normal... I already got 1 abandon. My friends are not experiencing this... I wonder what's wrong.

So uh, any traders here? I'd like to ask how much this might be worth? It's from Game 3 of the Grand Finals
As much as someone is willing to pay for it, bro. Because drops were regular items and not immortal couriers this year, it's hard to even give a range. If I had to try, I'd say 15-30 keys. A bigass range because its just that hard to range tourney drops. I can ask around.

As much as someone is willing to pay for it, bro. Because drops were regular items and not immortal couriers this year, it's hard to even give a range. If I had to try, I'd say 15-30 keys. A bigass range because its just that hard to range tourney drops. I can ask around.

Ah. I was hoping for a hook for it. Oh well. Better learn Lina now.

There was a dude who wanted to trade a Puck Wing for it. Darn it.

hobart

Lol oh man i had my first match were a teammate just kept shit talking to me the whole time because i died first but it truly was my worst match. I reported him but still i felt bad.....worst feeling have had playing games since forever. Ive had 2 matches on all pick in which it feels like some of these players are not noobs at all.

If it becomes overbearing - mute them. No need to deal with their abuse.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I don't know, anther friend of mine who does a lot of trading says he thinks it would be worth a lot more, like 50 keys at least. Says if it was from a low key tournament from someone like Na'vi or Alliance it would be worth 15-25, but being the International it should be able to command a higher price.

I don't know, anther friend of mine who does a lot of trading says he thinks it would be worth a lot more, like 50 keys at least. Says if it was from a low key tournament from someone like Na'vi or Alliance it would be worth 15-25, but being the International it should be able to command a higher price.
It depends on so many things. When, what type of item, rarity, etc. if it was a rare or mythical, I could see 50. If he finds a big xboct fan, it could be 50 to them. If it was a significant event in the match, it could go for more.

If it were a more popular player on the team, I'd command a higher price. All he can do is put it out there and see if anyone bites. If it's too high, he can drop the price at his leisure. Item isn't going anywhere. There should be no rush.

It depends on so many things. When, what type of item, rarity, etc. if it was a rare or mythical, I could see 50. If he finds a big xboct fan, it could be 50 to them. If it was a significant event in the match, it could go for more.

If it were a more popular player on the team, I'd command a higher price. All he can do is put it out there and see if anyone bites. If it's too high, he can drop the price at his leisure. Item isn't going anywhere. There should be no rush.

Thanks guys. I'll put it up later in the morning and wish for the best.

lmpaler

Has anyone else been glitchy or laggy recently? I had to abandon a game a day or two ago because it was extremely laggy right at the start. I just joined another game, where it lagged, I couldn't see particle effects or my chat, and two other people in the game were also have connection problems (fortunately the enemy NP abandoned so I could leave). I just verified the integrity of my cache, but I probably won't play again until after the next update in hopes for some magic fix.

Been hit or miss for me the last few days, but I never leave a game

I could use a team also. Steam id in my profile. I'm on mobile or I'd link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom