• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I would never pay that much (or even be able to afford it), but there are only a handful out there (25ish?)

Honestly the Defense 2 Wardog is rarer. There's only 2 of those I think.

You're thinking of the Vintage Defense 2 Wardog. That was only given to certain Valve employees (I think?) for testing.

woober

No.

They come with the wizard microplushie, which you could get randomly. Those who get a wizard microplushie will get a code to unlock Garrard. the luckless box is just an additional item that comes with the order.

So the code for Garrad isn't a code they'd email you even if your order had one? Makes sense I guess since it's randomized.

Ridli

Thanks for the advice.I tried WR once and sucked horribly but that was my first match so I guess I'll give it another try. Shackleshot is pretty tough to hit, but I've even seen pro's miss those often so whatever.

One important thing to remember with shackleshot is that it has an insane cast range, 800 units. Which is great because it give you long initiation range. But! When you throw it from that far you have to take into account that the game uses your position from where you threw it, and the position for where the enemy is hit, to determine if you latch. It's a difficult concept for me to describe, so check out this video instead.

http://youtu.be/QBrYeeGv42Y

If you are just starting out, try lining your shackles up from a little closer range, like her auto attack distance, so you minimize the travel time on the projectile. Then as you get comfortable with it you can work on tricky stuff like long range and force staffing your targets into a better latch position. Also, don't be afraid to try targeting a creep to hook to a hero. Players tend to think they are safe if their back is away from trees.

ant_

is there a gaf guild? need to join a guild when i get back into california from west virginia. 20 kb/s internet is not good for dota 2. :(

BraXzy

Someone needs to start up DotAnonymous, for people who have an addiction.

I've been away for a couple weeks and I'm really excited to be able to get back on the game tomorrow when I'm back. And I have spent far too much on keys and stuff since I started playing. But it is so damn fun!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS
C0Lop39.png

First box and I got what I want now.
Is that a Shadow Blade? :OOO

shira

You are one of 42 people who have that. Dayumn.
Is it worth being scammer spammed daily though?

[H] 2000 RR [W] Roshan

PS D-V medusa build is legit. Why the fuck would anyone linkens when you can start ripping shit to shreds with the first 2 items.

Glix

I just got a TI3 chest as a drop so I went and bought a key...

when I came back the chest expired.

I'm pretty fucking pissed they let me buy the key.

I just got a TI3 chest as a drop so I went and bought a key...

when I came back the chest expired.

I'm pretty fucking pissed they let me buy the key.

wow wtf

Is it worth being scammer spammed daily though?

[H] 2000 RR [W] Roshan

PS D-V medusa build is legit. Why the fuck would anyone linkens when you can start ripping shit to shreds with the first 2 items.

people get linkens for that early tankiness at the expense of being able to deal any damage for a period of time. I suppose it depends on how many single-target nukes the other team has? It's also good if you plan on going with a snake-spamming build or what to have your mana shield up even when jungling (mana regen). Idunno. In all my Dusa games, there have only been a few where I genuinely wish I had picked up an earlier linkens. I might start picking one up later to address the sheep stick threat. But more often than not, Dusa can get away without it. I might try it again soon, but I'd honestly be more inclined to get a BKB if I'm worried about magic nukes and sheep sticks. There's a time and a place for both, so I don't mean to sound dismissive of the pickup. I just haven't found a place to really add it in my builds just yet.

also, I almost never get adds about the GBR. I think most know they just can't afford it. I get lots of adds about my older couriers. The Yak and Wardog for whatever reason. I guess the colors on their effects are really rare or something.

Glix

Full disclosure, there were a few mins inbetween as my work machine has the store ports blocked so I had to log onto another machine...

but still, the MINUTE the chests disappear, the keys should be removed from the store.

It's only $2.50 but it pisses me off on principal.

inky

Ya, chests expired last night. It fucking sucks that they are still selling the keys. You should contact them or something. Maybe an update will turn them into regular keys or something because quite a few people did this.

shira

Full disclosure, there were a few mins inbetween as my work machine has the store ports blocked so I had to log onto another machine...

but still, the MINUTE the chests disappear, the keys should be removed from the store.

It's only $2.50 but it pisses me off on principal.

There are people who collect the keys, if you can believe that.

sixghost

http://dotabuff.com/matches/273395370

There we go, getting better on my Maapo.
You should try disassembling tranquils into treads once you get your scepter, then building a skadi. You get a similar HP boost compared to reaver/heart, but you also get the attack speed boost from treads, as well as the armor, attack speed and damage increase from the skadi agility. Also, you don't need to deal with the move speed penalty of disabled tranquil boots. The build up to skadi is great for Meepo as well.

KingKong

I just wish theyd hurry up and break down more models, I have no desire to buy keys for a chance to get a skeleton king sword but I dont know if Ill be able to resist a nice Timbersaw or Storm Spirit set

I keep telling people to never buy keys

You wouldn't gamble your money irl, why would you do it in doto?

...well, I would. Both.

It's a problem.

I would never pay that much (or even be able to afford it), but there are only a handful out there (25ish?)

Honestly the Defense 2 Wardog is rarer. There's only 2 of those I think.

The rarest couriers are Pink Ethereal Flame Couriers. The War Dog version goes for at least 10,000 dollars. The Yak version, well... could be way way more since there's only one known in existance.

Kalnos

Banned
That guy just alt-tabbed, looked at his Twitch chat, and turned that shit right off.

EDIT: nm, I think he's coming back. Watching for crybaby tears.

bah, looks like I'm going to have to contact support to get my codes. I hope there isn't some strange technicality that bars me from them, like the order had to have something other than microplushes in it or something.

ant_

bah, looks like I'm going to have to contact support to get my codes. I hope there isn't some strange technicality that bars me from them, like the order had to have something other than microplushes in it or something.

My order of the plushballs is still "closed." When I click my order number it says they shipped, but I have no tracking number and no email. I didn't get a cancellation email, though.

woober

I know people who got their codes days before mine. I think they might be handing out the codes in waves.

traveler

Not Wario
How would you guys feel about Valve doing a series of smaller tourneys throughout the year in place than the International? Obviously, both would be nice and if we had to have the series without the International, there wouldn't be that one central hyped up event for the community, but I think having consistent quality tourneys might go a long way towards preventing the team shakeups/player departures we see following each International, to some degree. Although I guess it's no guarantee; the international might just be the thing holding teams together and its only in the aftermath do we see what was really there all along.

ant_

How would you guys feel about Valve doing a series of smaller tourneys throughout the year in place than the International? Obviously, both would be nice and if we had to have the series without the International, there wouldn't be that one central hyped up event for the community, but I think having consistent quality tourneys might go a long way towards preventing the team shakeups/player departures we see following each International, to some degree. Although I guess it's no guarantee; the international might just be the thing holding teams together and its only in the aftermath do we see what was really there all along.

I think having one big event is perfect, it's kind of like the superbowl of DOTA 2. After every season there are roster changes and people switch up teams. I think it's good that rosters change and new teams are formed.

shira

My wallet could not handle it. But yeah in theory it would be great to have a China international and a Euro international.

It's just how can you afford to house Navi or Alliance in China. They did that with Alienware and G1. It's all up to Volvo if they want the 1st class treatment stuff.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Nope, international is too good, and the stakes and hype are what defines it. Can't get that with a bunch of little tournaments everyone would get bored of. Roster changes are a part of every sport.

doing mini tournaments is a terrible idea. they'd just kill all the hype and you'd end up with a bunch of irrelevant games. even the prelims weren't that interesting

besides, for how long would you even expect valve to keep that up? and once they stop it, wouldn't that be basically admitting the game is dead? because it definitely wouldn't be sustainable in the long run. it just can't work

valve isn't even interested in hiring a handful of people for doing basic checks they can't automate. pretty sure they'd rather let the game die than keep it alive that way. and it'd be the right decision too

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Little tournaments would only work if they were somehow tied to the International.

Perhaps a longer qualifier season with more slots for teams. 2 for East and West.

I don't think Valve will. They did say they want the whole Dota e-sports to be self-sustaining, and pumping in money for their own tournaments, will only help in creating a short burst of popularity, and there's a risk that it will deter others from creating their own tournaments because they feel they can't compete with Valve.

I see The Internationals as the benchmark for the tournaments for the rest of the year, something other tournaments can aspire to be. Then again, I do hope they'll do something about SEA Dota, we have a lot of good players here (Zenith, Chuan, Orange, MUFC as examples) but it's really poorly handled.

Also, I hope that Valve releases an extensive post-mortem report of the International 2013. What went right, what went wrong and how they went and handled the whole tournament. I would love to read it, and I'm sure it would be a big help to those who are trying to hold their own tournaments in the future.

Hell, I think I'll post that suggestion at dev.dota.com later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom