• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporak

How would you guys feel about Valve doing a series of smaller tourneys throughout the year in place than the International? Obviously, both would be nice and if we had to have the series without the International, there wouldn't be that one central hyped up event for the community, but I think having consistent quality tourneys might go a long way towards preventing the team shakeups/player departures we see following each International, to some degree. Although I guess it's no guarantee; the international might just be the thing holding teams together and its only in the aftermath do we see what was really there all along.

Terrible idea, Blizzards insistence on doing that is basically strangling the SC2 tournament scene.

Anteo

I really really wish that when you get force randomed in Random Draft it only pulled from supports.

Did they ever fix the thing in RD from dota 1 where if you randomed (not selected until time out) you would get a hero at a fixed position of the list (or the next one until finding one not picked up). In dota1 the heroes were arranged in a circle and if randomed you would get the one at the 3pm or the next avalible counterclockwise

Dont play RD so I dont know how it works in dota2

How many heroes do most of you guys play? There seems to be so many do most of you just get good at like 1-3? Or do you do it by role? I have been mostly playing crystal maiden after Sven and I'm enjoying the support role but may want to try to carry soon, but not as the main carry.What is a good "side carry" hero? I'm thinking queen of pain or windrunner?

How many heroes do most of you guys play? There seems to be so many do most of you just get good at like 1-3? Or do you do it by role? I have been mostly playing crystal maiden after Sven and I'm enjoying the support role but may want to try to carry soon, but not as the main carry.What is a good "side carry" hero? I'm thinking queen of pain or windrunner?

10-20. All the heroes in Dota has their own hard counters, so it helps if you learn some heroes to avoid a bad team mix.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

In the beginning, you will play 3-4 heroes until you get the hang of the game.

Later on you branch out to more heroes so you can understand their strengths and weaknesses firsthand.

Finally, you begin to focus less on heroes and more on specific roles, learning the ins and outs of matchups and creating a stable of heroes you can use for those roles.

Eventually, you reach a point where you can be "decent" at a hero just from 4-5 games and watching other people play them.

By side carry do you mean off laner (solo in the hard/suicide lane) or semi-carries?

Everyone should be able to play at least 10 heroes.

Kreunt

Banned
Valve really need to do something about the load times of the in-game guides.
See so many people sitting in fountain for ages waiting for them, often even missing the start of laning phase.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the International could be expanded to 32 teams, just add a day or two to the main event, prelems should be able to be the same time just with more games happening at once.

Fuck, I wish they removed the damn keys from the Dota 2 store when the damn crates expired. I bought 10 keys with something I sold. And then I bought 10 vanishing crates.

Calidor

How would you guys feel about Valve doing a series of smaller tourneys throughout the year in place than the International? Obviously, both would be nice and if we had to have the series without the International, there wouldn't be that one central hyped up event for the community, but I think having consistent quality tourneys might go a long way towards preventing the team shakeups/player departures we see following each International, to some degree. Although I guess it's no guarantee; the international might just be the thing holding teams together and its only in the aftermath do we see what was really there all along.

I think that they should cut the direct invites number. MUFC and VP were a waste of a spot IMO.

Perhaps only the top 10 teams get a direct invite, and the rest should be earned from regional tourneys (2 spot NA/SA, 2 spot EU, 2 spot CN/KR/SEA)

shira

I think that they should cut the direct invites number. MUFC and VP were a waste of a spot IMO.

Perhaps only the top 10 teams get a direct invite, and the rest should be earned from regional tourneys (2 spot NA/SA, 2 spot EU, 2 spot CN/KR/SEA)

Totally not fair. The Chinese teams refused to scrim with them. So what? Playing Zenith and Orange over and over. Great tourney prep.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Honestly I gave up on "focusing" on heroes when I started playing Limited Pool modes primarily. Oh there are some that I'm better at, like Warlock and Ancient Apparition and Kunkka, but I can usually pick all but a dozen or so of the heroes and at my current matchmaking level not embarrass myself.

Which means that usually I can focus on counters and roles, and if its someone I'm especially good with I view that as a bonus

shira

cnTdrAa.jpg

lolo

DarkKyo

man, you guys are making me feel like a deleted an important email or something

I ordered 3 of those pokeballs and had it cancelled and I didn't get any email :(

In my e-mail it said my pokeball shipped without a luckbox code in it, that's why I got one in e-mail. I don't think you'll get codes if your pokeballs didnt ship....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ok serious dota question, why don't all the pro teams just pick abaddon and phantom lancer every game?

Phantom Lancer requires a lot of time to farm and at least in western Dota the meta currently stresses more aggressive strategies. Plus even when he is farmed he doesn't have much immediate teamfight impact, so many teams will opt for something like an Anti-Mage. Or if they do want to push they'll get the pushing going early and mid game with a Nature's Prophet

He's just a royal pain in the ass in pub games because convincing four other guys to play aggressive, push down towers and actually gank PL is nigh on impossible, so he usually gets the room he needs

red731

So listen, I am still and will be noob for many hundred of hours, but man, the satisfaction if you survive a fight, that satisfaction when you confuse enemy human hero, that satisfaction from winning. DAMN.

I was playing as Vengeful Spirit yesterday and there was one situation where I did put my skills and wits into use -
Enemy hero tried to assasult me and then was trying to run away, I, as a VS, used my swap ult (I was near mid tower) and oh boy - when we swapped and he was attacked by tower, I used Magic Missile for tower to do it's thing for longer time, attacked him and he died.

I love this. LOVE IT!

And hate too. 4 players were just standing by the Dire shop and did nothing while I was having a rage moment, because they did nothing, while 5 men radiant heroes were in our base.

So listen, I am still and will be noob for many hundred of hours, but man, the satisfaction if you survive a fight, that satisfaction when you confuse enemy human hero, that satisfaction from winning. DAMN.

I was playing as Vengeful Spirit yesterday and there was one situation where I did put my skills and wits into use -
Enemy hero tried to assasult me and then was trying to run away, I, as a VS, used my swap ult (I was near mid tower) and oh boy - when we swapped and he was attacked by tower, I used Magic Missile for tower to do it's thing for longer time, attacked him and he died.

I love this. LOVE IT!

And hate too. 4 players were just standing by the Dire shop and did nothing while I was having a rage moment, because they did nothing, while 5 men radiant heroes were in our base.

My favorite thing to do in Dota will always be glimpsing back an enemy who just tp'ed near you as Disruptor. It's the best.

Hylian7

How the hell do you do ancients with Medusa without a ward? I come in a game and they tell me I can all of a sudden. I ended up taking a lot of damage from ancients and missed stacks because I had to go Tranquils. How the fuck do you do it?

sixghost

I had no idea how well Clinks deals with Huskar. All that physical damage just destroys him.
How the hell do you do ancients with Medusa without a ward? I come in a game and they tell me I can all of a sudden. I ended up taking a lot of damage from ancients and missed stacks because I had to go Tranquils. How the fuck do you do it?
If you clear all the trees I believe you can do it without a ward. That's how Funnik does it with Mirana and Windrunner.

Hylian7

I had no idea how well Clinks deals with Huskar. All that physical damage just destroys him.

If you clear all the trees I believe you can do it without a ward. That's how Funnik does it with Mirana and Windrunner.

...I wish I knew that before this game I just played. I had to try to attempt it and failed horribly.

red731

My favorite thing to do in Dota will always be glimpsing back an enemy who just tp'ed near you as Disruptor. It's the best.

I must read Distruptors skills to understand that :D But from I can uderstand, Distruptor has some skill that will "teleport" or "glimpse" teleported hero somewhere else? - I write this before even checking his skills.

I have a mic and always say hello in guild or group so if you want to teach a noob, let me know and we can play.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I must read Distruptors skills to understand that :D But from I can uderstand, Distruptor has some skill that will "teleport" or "glimpse" teleported hero somewhere else? - I write this before even checking his skills.

I have a mic and always say hello in guild or group so if you want to teach a noob, let me know and we can play.

Glimps teleports a hero to where they were 3 seconds ago.

The real best thing is to Glimpse a hero that just revived, they will teleport back to where they died the last time.

red731

Glimps teleports a hero to where they were 3 seconds ago.

The real best thing is to Glimpse a hero that just revived, they will teleport back to where they died the last time.

el oh el. that may be the worst best thing to do.
Thanks for the clarification.
I just imagined it. Holy shit :lol

Wtf, PL is now considered to be a sub-par unimpressive hero? I know I haven't played in a while but when did this happen? He used to be the most complained about hero by far.

Acinixys

Wtf, PL is now considered to be a sub-par unimpressive hero? I know I haven't played in a while but when did this happen? He used to be the most complained about hero by far.

Needs too much farm to be effective early game. Cant do shit without at least treads/diffisal/drums and maybe Manta. So people dont play him as much

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So does Ursa have the highest single target damage in the game? I just played a game and I was straight up melting people like I have never seen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Solo spec vs brood and mirana.

CW and CK lose their lane to Riki and Sven

Get brown boots + PMS at 7 minutes.

Wind up with Diffusal 1, Manta, Drums, Heart and 11-4 to win the game.

Low tier queue is the best.

Hylian7

I just did CK + Io in an All Random game (yes, we both randomed that). Worked out soooo well. Then the other team's Venomancer started intentionally feeding us because Void was giving him shit for dying to us seven times.

JustinBB7

I think the International could be expanded to 32 teams, just add a day or two to the main event, prelems should be able to be the same time just with more games happening at once.

I think that would be a bit overkill. Also there aren't 32 teams that are on the same level as the top 8.

shira

EE@TI3
http://www.twitch.tv/eternalenvyy/b/445419688?t=175m50s

iRCNllmh57FYd.gif

"I'm a monkey"

"Get the fuck out of this country, go back to China"

"They were copying our strategy"

"Bulba was high on weed and crying"

"I was cheering Alliance because I didn't want Navi or iG to have two titles. My goal in this game is to be the best and winning 2 titles is fucking impossible"

"Every team except Alliance and Fnatic are dead. All the Chinese teams are dead"

"You know how Dendi bowed to Mushi twice, he did it to me like 5 times. I'm like 2.5x, it's the hierarchy of gods."

Hylian7

I had no idea that one of the Lockbox items was a Dagon for Nyx. Apparently when you wear it and use a dagon the zap comes out of it.

shira

It's obviously a joke.

You don't know EE-sama very well do you?

Why do I play alone?

When I stack with other pro players the games are joke 80% of the time. 20% of the time you meet other strong stacks and the games become interesting but its rare.

Why do I play with Europeans?

The main reason and pretty much only reason is why not? Of course now that I look back there are many benefits in being in an European team. Such as travel costs being less and playing times more catered to Europeans.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19A5QcocHbVRe_knaUUoncMQD-wfsE3uXqqtiS9iyUoM/edit?pli=1

ibjpMTKtLJ8gEG.png

le sigh

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hohoho just sold my lockbox for £35. Not bad I think!

I would not risk opening it as I know I would end up with the shittiest of items, just like when I buy keys to open boxes and get 4 dupes...

Shengar

Abaddon isn't in CM, and PL isn't as good as you think he is, especially at the pro level.

Yep, map control, agressive play with some dust in hand and you got useless image-creating spear-fisher. If a Phantom Lancer didn't managed to get a Diffusal Blade in 15 minutes mark, he wouldn't much of a threat.

Guys, I've thought on Venomancer lately. He is my first hero, and I love him. But the thing is, he skills feels so subpar. There are better alternatif to replace his role. Poison Sting especially, is near useless except in laning phase. With agressive playstyle, his position as overtime nuker wouldn't be ncessary since every team would favor high burst damage instead. So, do you guys think Venomancer need some fix to make him feels more useful?

F!ReW!Re

Guys, I've thought on Venomancer lately. He is my first hero, and I love him. But the thing is, he skills feels so subpar. There are better alternatif to replace his role. Poison Sting especially, is near useless except in laning phase. With agressive playstyle, his position as overtime nuker wouldn't be ncessary since every team would favor high burst damage instead. So, do you guys think Venomancer need some fix to make him feels more useful?

I think he's still great to have around during the laning fase and early/mid game.
He basically "ensures" that your carry can have a great start of the game, which seems like a pretty big deal. (Get jugg in there and it's like free kills early game) Although I have to agree that his usefulness falls off the further along the game comes, but that can be said for more heroes.
Don't think he necessarily needs a buff or redesign (except for his appearance)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom