• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDG

Finally started playing Dota 2 after being nagged about it by my wife for the last 2 months (she's been playing non-stop as the only game she's been playing for a while now... I'm afraid to see her Steam profile). It's amazing how quickly this game goes from making you think that you aren't half bad at the game to omg I'm the worst player ever in such a short amount of time. I also can't tell you how chastising it is for my wife to have to tell other players on my team in a game that I am new and to forgive my horrible play. That's a new feeling for me.

Low Tier
Finally started playing Dota 2 after being nagged about it by my wife for the last 2 months (she's been playing non-stop as the only game she's been playing for a while now... I'm afraid to see her Steam profile). It's amazing how quickly this game goes from making you think that you aren't half bad at the game to omg I'm the worst player ever in such a short amount of time. I also can't tell you how chastising it is for my wife to have to tell other players on my team in a game that I am new and to forgive my horrible play. That's a new feeling for me.

Does she carry and make you play support?

ElyrionX

What's the best trading website to use? Dota 2 lounge? I managed to trade my Barrel Quiver for a Spear of the Herald on there yesterday. It was my virgin trade and I'm happy.

Kreunt

Banned

take solace in the fact that your wife is also terrible at the game, just less so than you.

Lotto

Just taking a quick look at prices on eBay for some of the TI3 stuff. I just don't get it. A lot of the $10 random ball plushies are going for $40+. I just saw the shitty wizard one with the Garrad courier for $240 and rising, what the hell?! I want an Osky or Feezle-Feez courier though.. Those are only available through the cards though right?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
ED248D5F8DC562E87206AA217706B74F12DE47CA

#chinesedota

Clawww

Worst losing streak I've had yet. I think I'm going to have an aneurysm. Nothing worse than going to bed salty over Dota. I want to get another one in to get the taste out of my mouth but it's fucking 4 A.M.

Worst losing streak I've had yet. I think I'm going to have an aneurysm. Nothing worse than going to bed salty over Dota. I want to get another one in to get the taste out of my mouth but it's fucking 4 A.M.

The worst is when you're on a shitty losing streak and the win you finally get is one where you play like absolute crap.

Nymerio

We usually play only Random Draft, but we queued for some All Pick yesterday and it was really bizarre. Is it normal that everybody just randoms? Because I went into All Pick thinking it would like it was when I started playing: Everybody rushes to pick Drow Or PL, but now everyone is just waiting for the other players to pick and then they just random.

yarden24

Awesome guide, thanks for taking the time to write it! I've been playing more Furion lately and start off with those exact item builds (Usually basi + 2 clarity). What is your general jungling route? When I jungle I barely have enough to sustain myself in the first 10 minutes just using nature's call, how can I gank other lanes with a tp + sprout (and maybe a nature's call after the gank)?

Also, what's your average midas time? I usually hit it around 6-7 minutes.

its not an item a lost of people get, but i really like an orchid on nature's, because you're intelligence you get 55 damage, plus the 30 attack speed, plus the silence, super nice on him, and necronomicon is also very useful if you want to split push instead of going ganker.

sephi22

We usually play only Random Draft, but we queued for some All Pick yesterday and it was really bizarre. Is it normal that everybody just randoms? Because I went into All Pick thinking it would like it was when I started playing: Everybody rushes to pick Drow Or PL, but now everyone is just waiting for the other players to pick and then they just random.

ALL PICK = NO PICK

I hate it now. People wait till after 0:00 to pick. Shit gets on my nerves

Wunder

its not an item a lost of people get, but i really like an orchid on nature's, because you're intelligence you get 55 damage, plus the 30 attack speed, plus the silence, super nice on him, and necronomicon is also very useful if you want to split push instead of going ganker.

Yup, I agree. I generally like Scythe more than orchid, but it's definitely a viable item. Good (or bad if you're new) about prophet is that you can build him almost anyway you want, depending on the situation. Sure there are a lot of items that are generally more all-purpose or just plain better, but he can definitely use a ton more items than most other heroes.

yarden24

Yup, I agree. I generally like Scythe more than orchid, but it's definitely a viable item. Good (or bad if you're new) about prophet is that you can build him almost anyway you want, depending on the situation. Sure there are a lot of items that are generally more all-purpose or just plain better, but he can definitely use a ton more items than most other heroes.

oh its not instead of a scythe, i try to get that anyway, its instead of a desolator, it does more damage then a deso does on one target, with the attack speed, and the 30% damage buff, as well as a disable.

only drawback is that you wont take towers out as fast with it

Nymerio

ALL PICK = NO PICK

I hate it now. People wait till after 0:00 to pick. Shit gets on my nerves

Yeah it's either they random or everyone waits for someone to pick so they can counter pick.

Anyway had my first game as Sandking and loved every minute of it. Landed one really cool Epicenter + Burrowstrike and felt like a badass when I got like 3 heroes with it. Then the Axe on their team rage quit and the game was pretty much over.

F!ReW!Re

http://dotabuff.com/matches/274625917

;)

Care to critique? I screwed up a lot early game..but later on I think I did better.

Could only watch the first minute or so before going to work this morning but I already saw some things you can improve on:

- You used the treants to scout the runes, which is good, but you didn't even look where the rune spawned and you fed one of your treants to Lifestealer (that's 20-25 gold for free).
I usually use them to scout out the runes, but if a teammate is unable to get the rune I deny it buy A-right clicking (attack move) on the rune so that the enemy can't pick it up.
When I see enemy heroes that want to attack the treant, I move it back and start walking towards the rune at about 00:05 before the start. That way they can't kill my treant and I can deny the rune.

- Back at base you spawned more treants, but you selected an area with only 1 tree in it so only 1 treant spawned. I've made the same mistake multiple times, it's not a very big deal but it does delay your jungle farm a bit.
Make sure you get 2 treants at the 00:00 - 00:10 mark and walk with them towards the easy creep camp.

- Last thing I saw before I had to go was: You summoned the treants at base and didn't return to fountain to get your max mana back, so basically you left with 160 mana missing which also delays your farm, because you run out of mana faster.
Make sure you leave the base with full hp/mana.

One more thing I mentioned in the post above that most people forget;
When tp'ing from the fountain to a location on the map I usually IMMEDIATELY use nature's call or other spells I need, because the fountain regen lingers for about 2 seconds after tp'ing (like a normal tp scoll). Basically giving you a nature's call for about 40 mana instead of 160...

If you want to see some great NP play, watch some of the TI3 Alliance matches (especially grand finals) where Bulldog plays him. He usually uses him as a Solo offlaner, but the general playstyle still applies to everyone.
He's great with using the treants to scout while he farms, ganks, splitpushes (so he can see a gank coming) and block creepcamps on the save lane by sending in a treant.

I'll watch the whole match tonight when I get back from work :)

red731

Guys, any specific youtube channels and webpages I should subscribe to and bookmark?
Tutorials, tips&tricks, video commentary guys and all is welcome.

I kinda really wanto to get good (in years) in DotA. I want to defend our Ancients.

F!ReW!Re

Guys, any specific youtube channels and webpages I should subscribe to and bookmark?
Tutorials, tips&tricks, video commentary guys and all is welcome.

I kinda really wanto to get good (in years) in DotA. I want to defend our Ancients.

Watch the tutorials here;
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/qckss/new_players_reddits_compiled_guide_to_dota2/

Especially laning, tri-laning, warding, pulling/stacking, jungling, lane equilibrium tutorials are great.

I also dig Merlini's mailbag;
http://www.youtube.com/user/MerliniDota

red731

Thank you, Natures Prophet. I forgot about reddit, will subsribe there and to Merlini too.
I already saw the 4 minut tut video like year ago and I need to dwelve deeper.

Kard8p3

Could only watch the first minute or so before going to work this morning but I already saw some things you can improve on:

- You used the treants to scout the runes, which is good, but you didn't even look where the rune spawned and you fed one of your treants to Lifestealer (that's 20-25 gold for free).
I usually use them to scout out the runes, but if a teammate is unable to get the rune I deny it buy A-right clicking (attack move) on the rune so that the enemy can't pick it up.
When I see enemy heroes that want to attack the treant, I move it back and start walking towards the rune at about 00:05 before the start. That way they can't kill my treant and I can deny the rune.

Yeah, I thought I had bad timing on the runes, because when I looked I never saw anything, what times do they spawn? I didn't know LS killed it, I had thought it simply died due to reaching max time.

- Back at base you spawned more treants, but you selected an area with only 1 tree in it so only 1 treant spawned. I've made the same mistake multiple times, it's not a very big deal but it does delay your jungle farm a bit.
Make sure you get 2 treants at the 00:00 - 00:10 mark and walk with them towards the easy creep camp.

Woops, I totally did not notice! I will be more careful from now on :) thanks!

- Last thing I saw before I had to go was: You summoned the treants at base and didn't return to fountain to get your max mana back, so basically you left with 160 mana missing which also delays your farm, because you run out of mana faster.
Make sure you leave the base with full hp/mana.

Yeah, I remember doing that, and I think that's because I was in the mindset of "Oh man, I want to use all the time I have possible with my treants, I'd feel like an idiot for wasting the time." But, the mana is a way more important matter, will work on that; I also likely thought the fountain was still helping regen my mana.

One more thing I mentioned in the post above that most people forget;
When tp'ing from the fountain to a location on the map I usually IMMEDIATELY use nature's call or other spells I need, because the fountain regen lingers for about 2 seconds after tp'ing (like a normal tp scoll). Basically giving you a nature's call for about 40 mana instead of 160...

Yeah, I want to say I did that in a match after this one(might be in the one I link below, actually)

If you want to see some great NP play, watch some of the TI3 Alliance matches (especially grand finals) where Bulldog plays him. He usually uses him as a Solo offlaner, but the general playstyle still applies to everyone.
He's great with using the treants to scout while he farms, ganks, splitpushes (so he can see a gank coming) and block creepcamps on the save lane by sending in a treant.

Will gladly do :)

I'll watch the whole match tonight when I get back from work :)

Thanks! I feel like I did MILES better in this match though, heh, so you might want to watch this one instead of wasting your time with that one:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/274724334

Hylian7

*sigh* Almost. Almost. *sigh*

http://dotabuff.com/matches/274941419

No Mek on Abaddon, 2 Vlads, a Shadow Fiend that was fed as all hell, a Slark with garbage items, a Sven with garbage items (I'm not sure if he was trying to carry or support with it, either way he had nothing). Batrider did his job, and did it well. Many kills picked up with Lassos followed by my nets and poofs.

We lost, it was awful, but damn if I didn't play the this Meepo pretty damn well. 9/7/5, on a losing game is pretty good, wouldn't you say?

Ever since the international people keep wanting to do the whole split plush thing while hoarding thousands of gold for buybacks. Which would be fine except my team keeps doing it in games where we have a big early advantage and could just be buying items and forcing fights and winning the game.

Like this one game where the other team has a Luna and an Alch, both of which have midas. Our hardest carries are Abaddon and Prophet. We have a big lead and twice we get a pick-off and try and go for mid racks. Both times we don't quite get it, the second time only getting the melee. Both times after we have to back I look to see where our Furion is and he's been pushing a different lane with 6k gold in the bank. I hope it gets back to normal soon.

shira

RIP KP
Agod aka arteezy retires for "school". EG licking lips
Dota 2 Dressup PSA:

The couriers gotten from TI3 cards are now Unusual. Prices have already skyrocketed.

Items from the Luckbox are now Genuine, so feel free to pay rip-off prices for those on the market.

Items from promotional t-shirts are now also Genuine.

Lockless Luckboxes have been confirmed to keep getting sent out with the relevant Valve Store purchases.

Cyborg always said the ti3 couriers would get fixed with effects

Aselith

Yeah, I thought I had bad timing on the runes, because when I looked I never saw anything, what times do they spawn? I didn't know LS killed it, I had thought it simply died due to reaching max time.

Runes spawn at 0:00 then at every 2:00 camps spawn at 0:30 then at every 1:00

F!ReW!Re

Runes spawn at the 0:00 mark and after that every two minutes; so 0:00, 2:00, 4:00, etc

Thanks! I feel like I did MILES better in this match though, heh, so you might want to watch this one instead of wasting your time with that one:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/274724334

I'll give that a watch then ;-)

ElyrionX

Just lost the worst game ever. Teamed up with a bunch of noobs who gave a Necrolyte beyond godlike in ten minutes. No joke. A Lifestealer and Troll Warlord were something like 0-8 before they abandoned. We lost our first rax in 15 mins and 10 more mins of fountain dickery and the game was over.

Alright, I guess I'll start in making a contest for this thread, and let's call it The Post International Depression Week Competition! The best drawing of Windrunner (again) will get this item from me!

The 2nd and 3rd place will get either a Dragon Forged Set for OD or Tahlin Occult Set for Riki! The contest will go on for a day starting from now!

shira

IT'S NOT A BUG.

NOBODY BUY ANY TI3 COURIERS FROM ANYWHERE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

People are getting scammed thinking something about the normal TI3 couriers has changed, when they only got a name change. They always had unusual effects, but for some god forsaken reason, Valve gave them all the same grouping on the Steam Marketplace, so people are buying "Unusual" TI3 couriers expecting them to be the unboxed versions, which were the only ones to have that name for the last 3 weeks.

Wait for Valve to figure out what they're going to do about the mess they've created.

LOL steam marketplace has the reglars priced higher than the Unusuals.
I see all 3 of these couriers as $100 at best over time.

Man, Abaddon counters Bounty Hunter pretty hard. I didn't really realize it before.

This game could have went very different had track gold been involved, since the kills were fairly close the entire game

For anyone who doesn't know, Abaddon can purge Track on anyone using Aphotic Shield, which has a low cool down and a fairly low mana cost.

Also for some reason Slark refused to leave mid, despite Razor calling it way before Slark picked and also because Razor counters OD a lot better than Slark does.

Forkball

Played with a Troll on my team last game and he crushed the enemy pretty easily. Why don't I see Troll in more pub games? When he first came out he was seemingly in every game, but now I rarely see him. Is the allure of PL leaving him in the dust? I know they nerfed his ult but that thing is still wildly useful and melts towers.

Also,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom