• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyT

I avoid playing Chen/Meepo. It never fails that halfway in I remember I can tab through units which makes playing Chen much easier. With the new mechanic improvements I should at least get decent with him. That said, I do enjoy a lane Chen! Throw in SD and someone like Centaur... BOOM!

Meepo, yeah, I'll never play him. I used to not want to play Invoker, but I'm decent with him now. I'll never get off the super Invoke combo's but that's ok. LD is the same. Decent, but not something I want to play (unless it's a no bear build).

BraXzy

When I was first starting out my favourite heroes were probably the most typical trench heroes out of the bunch. Drow, Riki and SB. They are still my most successful which I want to change :L

Now I'd say my top three favourites are Rubick, Weaver and Nature's Prophet, even though I still do terrible as NP. It is just so awesome when you get fat and TP behind the enemy and wooooooop ass. Ursa has become a cheeky fourth place at the minute, just because it is so easy to snowball with him, and it is fun to two hit people out of the shadows :D

Any EuroGAF want? It says an XL but fits like a fucking M/L. I really can't be arsed sending it back so I was hoping one of you guys would want it.

someone on Reddit did the measurements. Everyone seems to have gotten one size smaller than they ordered. The size doesn't match the measurements given on the site at all, it seems there was a production error or something.

They just can't win with this merchandise this year. Next year they need to be more on the ball.

Spookie

someone on Reddit did the measurements. Everyone seems to have gotten one size smaller than they ordered. The size doesn't match the measurements given on the site at all, it seems there was a production error or something.

They just can't win with this merchandise this year. Next year they need to be more on the ball.

Well that's disappointing. I've contacted them anyway to see what happens. :(

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't really think anyone who plays a lot should have a single hero they've never played.

One of the first things I did when I got into real matchmaking was play everybody once and it was a very valuable learning experience. There are still many I've played only that once but it's much better than never.

Calidor

IMO one of the safest heroes to learn how to micro with is Visage.

Tanky, low game impact and if you lose your familiars, you can respawn them quickly without giving too much of an advantage to the enemy team

Spookie

They could so easily add an extra code reward.

Not really fussed about the codes at this point to be honest I just wanted some cool clothes for Eurogamer this time next month. At this rate I might be short two t-shirts as I've not heard from mkenyon either. :'(

Artanisix

Not really fussed about the codes at this point to be honest I just wanted some cool clothes for Eurogamer this time next month. At this rate I might be short two t-shirts as I've not heard from mkenyon either. :'(

Whatttt :eek:

Fire mkenyon a message bro, that guy is a good guy from what I've seen.

lmpaler

I don't really think anyone who plays a lot should have a single hero they've never played.

One of the first things I did when I got into real matchmaking was play everybody once and it was a very valuable learning experience. There are still many I've played only that once but it's much better than never.

While true, I don't play AP games so sometimes I don't play a hero forever. I'm fucking terrible with Troll Warlord and I have no idea why lol. More practice inc.

lmpaler

How many is that now?

-Dota
-LoL
-Dota 2
-HoN
-Smite
-Dead Island
-Monday Night Combat
-Super MNC
-Awesomenauts
-Dawnguard
-That DC comics one
-KOF

Probably missing half a dozen more.

Demigod(although probably dead)
and the LotR one on consoles that is coming to PC

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Can't you just trade hats to your main account?
And
The tutorial isn't mandatory is iS it?

There's a cosmetic incentive to play games on the account you have most of your cosmetics on. I.E. player randoms pudge, player has dragon hook, mustache, and apron, player is sad. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but I think many people enjoy showing off their sets/items. And unless they changed something recently, I recall parts of the tutorial being mandatory.

Also I have this suspicion that the public match making is always trying to keep my win/lose ratio around 50%.

This is true and not true. The average W/L is probably around 50%, but just because you won 10 games in a row doesn't mean you're going to suddenly play 65% win 5 stacks until you drop back down to 50%. Ideally, if the matchmaking system is doing it's job and we take out every single other factor that goes into a dota game, it would be a coin flip (50/50 chance of winning with perfectly equal skill levels).

Guys why does my Strange kill counter item not count kills?

Yeah, this was happening to me as well. I probably have clocked in well over 200 kill on AM thus far, and then noticed my equipped strange item only had 28 recorded kills. WTF VALVE

dekjo

Check out the OP;

kyAZBaa.png

Why is Meepo listed as good for new players? Isn't he one of the hardest/micro-heavy heros. I think I saw a Purge video where he said Meeop has the lowest win percentage of any hero.

Demigod(although probably dead)
and the LotR one on consoles that is coming to PC
Demigod was like one of the first, did some cool stuff differently (lots of different maps, very few heroes, strange skill tree system, could upgrade towers/creeps, completely different pace ) and was really well made. Throwing it in that list is doing it a great disservice.

And the lotr one you get to buy so we know how successful that will be.

shira

I would blame the postal service.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Why is Meepo listed as good for new players? Isn't he one of the hardest/micro-heavy heros. I think I saw a Purge video where he said Meeop has the lowest win percentage of any hero.
Think about what you just wrote and then look at the picture again

You'd think a Marvel vs Capcom dota like would be a money fountain if it was halfway playable. People would get to say when's marvel even more. There's even some tenuous hero concepts they could steal if they wanted to be lazy:

Psylocke - Lanaya
Magneto - Magnus
Dormammu - Invoker
Morrigan - Weaver
Gouken - Void
C Viper - Shadow Fiend
Zero - Storm Spirit
Sentinel - Tinker

(Some more tenuous than others.)

shira

You'd think a Marvel vs Capcom dota like would be a money fountain if it was halfway playable. People would get to say when's marvel even more. There's even some tenuous hero concepts they could steal if they wanted to be lazy:

Psylocke - Lanaya
Magneto - Magnus
Dormammu - Invoker
Morrigan - Weaver
Gouken - Void
C Viper - Shadow Fiend
Zero - Storm Spirit
Sentinel - Tinker

That's chump change, you want liscenced money printers?

my_little_pony_dota_2_crossover_icons_by_yudhaikeledai-d5dzv42.jpg

Avallon

So I created a thread for this and I didn't get many replies; what's the best mouse for Dota?
I use Z, X, C, V, B, and spacebar for my item hotkeys. Recently I've been looking at the new Razer Naga 2014 which looks great, but there a few issues with it for me:
  • MMO Mouse so probably too many buttons (will I even be able to differentiate them?)
  • Zero retail locations have this and it take several weeks to order from Razer and Amazon (although Newegg seems to have it in stock)
I'm also looking at the Razer Naga Hex which has less buttons and perfectly conforms to my item bindings. It's also in stock in the nearest Best Buy.
Anyway, MOBA players, suggest me a mouse. I currently use an ASUS Republic of Gamers GX850 Laser Mouse.

JustinBB7

Tanky, low game impact and if you lose your familiars, you can respawn them quickly without giving too much of an advantage to the enemy team

Wat.

His ult is 180 second cooldown. So you can't respawn them quickly ever. Plus if the enemy kills them, they get a 100 gold for each familiar. That's a lot to just give away.

Artanisix

Honestly I use a death adder and it suits my needs for dota. Go with what you're comfortable with I guess, maybe the mouse whores in this thread can cook you something nicer.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Honestly I use a death adder and it suits my needs for dota. Go with what you're comfortable with I guess, maybe the mouse whores in this thread can cook you something nicer.

^, I use a deathadder as well, I just like the feel of it. Just get a mouse that you find to be comfortable and responsive, that's going to be the best mouse for dota (for me that's the deathadder). People often complain that the deathadder is really vulnerable to wear and tear and breaks down easily, but in the latest model they fixed a lot of the wear problems, and my mouse has looked and functioned like it was brand new for the last 6 months.

Nymerio

So I created a thread for this and I didn't get many replies; what's the best mouse for Dota?
I use Z, X, C, V, B, and spacebar for my item hotkeys. Recently I've been looking at the new Razer Naga 2014 which looks great, but there a few issues with it for me:
  • MMO Mouse so probably too many buttons (will I even be able to differentiate them?)
  • Zero retail locations have this and it take several weeks to order from Razer and Amazon (although Newegg seems to have it in stock)
I'm also looking at the Razer Naga Hex which has less buttons and perfectly conforms to my item bindings. It's also in stock in the nearest Best Buy.
Anyway, MOBA players, suggest me a mouse. I currently use an ASUS Republic of Gamers GX850 Laser Mouse.

I had a Naga once, thought it would be cool, but I could never really get used to using the side buttons. I thought it would be like using a controller, but moving the mouse, clicking and pushing the buttons on the side always felt weird to me. And I'd avoid Razer products anyway. I'm now using a Logitech G700, best mouse I've ever used.

Avallon

I had a Naga once, thought it would be cool, but I could never really get used to using the side buttons. I thought it would be like using a controller, but moving the mouse, clicking and pushing the buttons on the side always felt weird to me. And I'd avoid Razer products anyway. I'm now using a Logitech G700, best mouse I've ever used.
I hated the first Naga, but they really changed the way the keys work. If you didn't check out the link, do. I'm intrigued, to say the least.

Wat.

His ult is 180 second cooldown. So you can't respawn them quickly ever. Plus if the enemy kills them, they get a 100 gold for each familiar. That's a lot to just give away.
He's also pretty high impact if you ask me...

Those stuns have turned many a teamfight around.

Also +1 to the logitech g700

Anilusion

I had a naga for a few years and used to have my items bound to the thumb buttons. But it's really way too much for your thumb to handle. Good luck activating 2 items at the same time or even in quick succesion. I use a deathadder now and I have my items bound like this

Code:
Mouse5 C T
Mouse4 V G

With courier bound on Z and levelup on X.

Uhh, no? He probably has the strongest single target nuke in the game (that is not an ultimate), a great slow and two stuns. He's amazing at killing people. I love the hero, but I don't think he's good for people who want to learn micro. Lone Druid is much better. His bear is a walking money bag, yes, but he's basically unkillable early game and you only need to move two units around. Also, his bearbear has a lot of movement speed which makes it a lot easier to micro him. (your manbear is a lot slower than your bearbear but that's okay since you generally want your bearbear to be in front anyways)

edit: Also, I'm using a Steelseries Sensei Raw. I like it a lot. It's pretty big (compared to what I had before, a Logitech G500) which I like since I have giant bear hands. The only things it's lacking from the normal Sensei are superfluous for me (LEDs in all sorts of colors, some mouse movement prediction nonsense and something else I forgot) and it's not too expensive. The thumb buttons are a little loose for my taste and the mouse as a whole feels slightly flimsy (build quality is not perfect) but as a whole I like it a lot.

BraXzy

+1 ... The two buttons on the side is just enough that, regardless of the game, it never overwhelms you, it is really easy to set up custom key inputs and it links to the game executable so it is automatically loaded when you boot up.

For example I have my Dota set up as: Mouse button 4 - F1 (To center on hero) Mouse Button 5 - A (To deny easily without moving my hand)

Also, in regards to items, I suggest the Alt + Q,W,E,R and Space method. Rarely do you have more than 5 active items, and not having to move your fingers can make your life easier.

BHK3

Banned
How many is that now?

-Dota
-LoL
-Dota 2
-HoN
-Smite
-Dead Island
-Monday Night Combat
-Super MNC
-Awesomenauts
-Dawnguard
-That DC comics one
-KOF

Probably missing half a dozen more.
Dungeon Defenders 2 is getting a Moba mode

Dendi is listening to Rasputin of all songs, lol.
That grooveshark playlist needs to be updated, took me a whole 5 minutes to find that thrift shop remix he played.

Dahbomb

Psylocke - Lanaya
Magneto - Magnus
Dormammu - Invoker
Morrigan - Weaver
Gouken - Void
C Viper - Shadow Fiend
Zero - Storm Spirit
Sentinel - Tinker

DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THIS!!!!!

Although I honestly think it's more feasible that there would be a Capcom MOBA or a Marvel MOBA. UMVC3 is already a bitch to patch/support due to licensing issues. There is constant demand for a balance patch but without the license Capcom's hands are tied and the Marvel license grows more expensive by the day.

Calidor

Uhh, no? He probably has the strongest single target nuke in the game (that is not an ultimate), a great slow and two stuns. He's amazing at killing people. I love the hero, but I don't think he's good for people who want to learn micro. Lone Druid is much better.

Game impact has nothing to do with the power of his nukes. Lion has strong spells too, but he is hardly a game changer

Visage is played (mostly) as a 4 position, hence your team won't depend on you carrying the game.

if you are new at microing, not only your units will die, you will too (ie diving with your main along with your summon) . Feeding as a Lone Druid is a terrible terrible idea

Sibylus

Banned
I'm pretty happy with my Naga Hex (love my side-buttons), but Synapse is a pretty busted piece of software. Only just recently got it working again, they need to back up profile data to the mouse and not just to the cloud, program FUBAR'd itself for a while because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom