• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeesEight

Matchmaking in this game is beyond shit, in fact it's possibly the worst experience I've had in an online environment, totally discouraging for new players. A friend and I started playing 2 weeks ago and are now finding ourselves matchmaking v's people with 600-700+hrs playtime or more, whilst everyone on our team is seemingly sub 80 hrs.

That's a massive experience disparity and we aren't learning anything other than this a waste of our time.

There are lots of factors to take into account for the matchmaking. If you're grouping with friends then you're not in the solo queue. One major factor is you're probably being queued with and against friends who have wildly different MM ratings. If a High tier player plays with a beginner, you end up with really weird matched games.

There's really nothing that can be done in that instance without doing something drastic like preventing people from playing with friends. I suspect that in the games with the 600+ wins there are probably people with sub 10 wins or something silly.

And as others have mentioned, if you're win rate is still 50% against these people then maybe they are on your level?

Anteo

If possible get to your lane asap and watch the enemy come to ward your camp, so you know where they warded and dont have to guess. Also, check out those images with the area that needs to be clear for the camp to respawn, so you can deward properly

Lotto

I think Viper looks fine, he's probably getting a redesign because Valve can't monetize him with cosmetics. I really like his silhouette and his color palette but I guess his face could use some work. The whole backwards wing thing is pretty reminiscent to a Guardian/Brood Lord silhouette from StarCraft which I think fits him. I hope they keep that with his redesign.

oG6lelT.png

Dreavus

Whats the best way to deward without also accidentally warding your own camp?

I'll sometimes open up a map showing common observer/sentry ward spots on my second monitor and ward accordingly. Most people in my bracket just throw the ward right where the creep camp is supposed to spawn, but there is the occasional foe who tries to hide them.

I would also like to note how fucking insane it is that I have to do something like this to figure out the creep camp spawn "boxes" (all of which are unique to their respective camps) so I can block/counter effectively. It really should be right there in the UI, in my opinion. :(

shira

I'll sometimes open up a map showing common observer/sentry ward spots on my second monitor and ward accordingly. Most people in my bracket just throw the ward right where the creep camp is supposed to spawn, but there is the occasional foe who tries to hide them.

I would also like to note how fucking insane it is that I have to do something like this to figure out the creep camp spawn "boxes" (all of which are unique to their respective camps) so I can block/counter effectively. It really should be right there in the UI, in my opinion. :(

Play enough, it's like 2nd nature

Nymerio

Got to play Puck twice in a row yesterday. I've only played her once before, so I thought I'd mostly be feeding. Turned out I didn't actually do too bad. Went mid both times, and dodging stuff with Phase Shift is like the best thing ever.

Can someone who has more experience than me explain a couple of things though? I guess my main objective is to get my blink up as soon as possible, right? How do you initiate properly? I always blinked in, silenced and then coiled. I died relatively often after initiating though.

F!ReW!Re

Got to play Puck twice in a row yesterday. I've only played her once before, so I thought I'd mostly be feeding. Turned out I didn't actually do too bad. Went mid both times, and dodging stuff with Phase Shift is like the best thing ever.

Can someone who has more experience than me explain a couple of things though? I guess my main objective is to get my blink up as soon as possible, right? How do you initiate properly? I always blinked in, silenced and then coiled. I died relatively often after initiating though.

Basically it would be like this;
Blink in --> Coil/Silence--> Orb ---> Phase-shift ---> Orb out.

Keep in mind you can phase shift and shift dagger. Phasing out (at higher levels) will allow cooldown for the blink dagger. Use this in conjunction with Ethereal Jaunt or Euls (if you're that rich, euls also lasts long enough for that blink cooldown. this is situational though) and your opponents will always be guessing how to trap you.

Kenaras

Top: OD, Clinkz

Bot: WD, Disruptor

Mid: Slardar

Yes, that worked

Admittedly mostly because Clinkz was pretty good and four of their heroes are countered in various forms by Disruptor and throw in the WD ult and our AoE was nuts

Makes as much sense as how our opponents laned this game:

Safe Lane: Viper, Dark Seer
Hard Lane: Anti-Mage, Earthshaker
Mid Lane: Vengeful Spirit

I never played Dota 1 but some are so much better. You cant deny that Furion > Nature's Prophet

I can agree that some of the names are better, but you can't expect me to memorize the entire roster's mappings from Dota1 names to Dota2. So don't yell at me if I don't know Jondar is... whoever the hell Jondar is (if there even is one).

That's a pet peeve of online multiplayer games in general though - using other games' terms and expecting people to know what the hell they mean if they're not mentioned in the new game whatsoever.

See also:
- Mez (in MMOs)
- Creep Score (wtf at people who actually use this. Last Hit is easier to type, is what the actual game client uses, and you can actually tell what's being said by its name)

I can agree that some of the names are better, but you can't expect me to memorize the entire roster's mappings from Dota1 names to Dota2. So don't yell at me if I don't know Jondar is... whoever the hell Jondar is (if there even is one).

That's a pet peeve of online multiplayer games in general though - using other games' terms and expecting people to know what the hell they mean if they're not mentioned in the new game whatsoever.

See also:
- Mez (in MMOs)
- Creep Score (wtf at people who actually use this. Last Hit is easier to type, is what the actual game client uses, and you can actually tell what's being said by its name)
...so that's what CS is.

Anyway. You'll get used to it. Also hey! A meta burden of knowledge! Riot was right.

Anteo

But these names are now pretty much their main/only names in Dota 2. Wasn't Death Prophet mainly called Krobelus in Dota 1?

Yes, every hero in dota 1 had a name and a title, so you had Krobelus (Death Phophet) for example, or Dirge (Undying). Dunno why they dropped this, I like it more.

NP is called Tequoia in universe on dota 2 btw.

Edit: Oh wait, CM is still Rylai in universe. Then why even use names for some heroes like Lina and titles for others like NP?

Yes, every hero in dota 1 had a name and a title, so you had Krobelus (Death Phophet) for example, or Dirge (Undying). Dunno why they dropped this, I like it more.

NP is called Tequoia in universe on dota 2 btw.

Edit: Oh wait, CM is still Rylai in universe. Then why even use names for some heroes like Lina and titles for others like NP?

I was going to say they didn't carry over the names from DotA1 because some of them were Blizzard properties (Furion, for example). I didn't realize that they renamed some of the characters in DotA2 to begin with. Weird that they don't actually use them in some cases.

I will say outright that I'm a hypocrite in regard to what I said earlier, though. I still call Io "Wisp", and will probably still call any other hero by their title instead of their name if it gets changed.

Creep Score (CS) implies denies as well whereas Last Hits typically does not. And as Boken mentioned, typing "cs' is quicker. unless you have some odd keyboard or keybind setup.

Calidor

See also:
- Mez (in MMOs)

well if you played Dota 1 for longer than Dota2 has been around, how can you expect NOT to use them?

BTW "Jondar" does not exists (he is a NPC from Diablo 3) what you are refering to is Gondar (Bounty Hunter)

Oh, and D1 names are cooler/shorter! ie: Mercurial, Magina, Davion, Alleria, Nessaj

Wunder

Most of the names/titles are pretty subjective and based off what the community would call a hero, either a name (Lina/Pudge/Riki) or title (Lycan/PA/PL). Some were pretty interchangeable, like PA being Mortred or BH being Gondar, but those are the ones they picked for whatever reason.

JudgeN

Navi confirmed to stay with their current roster.

http://www.joindota.com/en/news/11903-navi-stays-put

Though some vacations and xboct had to say sorry.

This is the one reason I like Navi, a team that stays together has a way better chance of improving together. The shuffle after every TI is really dumb for some teams IMO. Orange would have been a team that I hope wouldn't shuffle but nope now mushi gotta start from scratch.

This is the one reason I like Navi, a team that stays together has a way better chance of improving together. The shuffle after every TI is really dumb for some teams IMO. Orange would have been a team that I hope wouldn't shuffle but nope now mushi gotta start from scratch.

Na'vi has changed their roster every year since the start of the international.

Oh, and D1 names are cooler/shorter! ie: Mercurial, Magina, Davion, Alleria, Nessaj
It's not shorter when you, guaranteed, have to rephrase whatever you just said to use the actual name of the hero. Pretty much just Gondar, Davion, Furion, POTM and Panda are fairly well known in Dota 2, the rest not at all. (I don't even know what Nessaj or Alleria are. Enigma and Windrunner?).

When using those terms it's more detrimental to everyone to use them, so don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom