• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
people are joking about being mad about no updates right? It's a free game, with free updates, that gets continued regular support and content, even if it's not on a completely strict schedule.

Not mad, moreso disappointed. We were pretty spoiled by the dev time even after New Years 2012 when we thought it was "slow". Most of the content is user created at this point and arguably most of the content patched in was for esports or the compedium for this year (which some can place a lot higher value on than others). The training assets have been in the file for awhile. Valve isn't doing this out of the kindness of their heart, they still generate a ton of revenue for what is mostly the community making models and even the compedium they had a pretty large cut (7.50 out of every 10$ right?).

Low Tier
If you're playing a support character, buy the god damned donkey, buy the god damned wards, buy a god damned salve and some tangos and don't get god damned hit so you can give them to the carry when he runs out of his. If you have brown boots before 10 minutes you are BAD AT DOTO.

Yeah, so I've gotten accustomed to taking my role as the oft sole support in solo queue pub games a little too seriously, but if I won't then who will? WHO will??

but then if ur not getting hit ur not harassing ur lane which means ur carry is getting hit and not getting last hits too because he does not have space to farm which means ur just wasting tangos if u eat up regen its ok because ur trading hits with the enemy lane which means ur carry is free to farm also ive never seen anyone announce that if u dont have an item before x time ur bad that just strikes me as odd especially something as important as boots supports need farm too to get items otherwise they just fall out too fast and become nothing more than walking gold for the enemy team plz dont confuse people with ur bad advice but its ok ur just learning and im sure u meant no harm in this :)

elyetis

people are joking about being mad about no updates right? It's a free game, with free updates, that gets continued regular support and content, even if it's not on a completely strict schedule.
I'm really not angry, but I can't say I'm not disapointed. Between it's succes, the fact it's Valve, and that we got used to a better pace ( a far far far better pace ), I really can only feel.. disapointed.

The fact that valve doesn't communicate at all ( but that is not new or specific to dota 2 ) really doesn't help either, you end up with the LC case where for weeks and weeks you wonder if 'it will be the week'.

bounchfx

I agree, I wish they had a little more transparency when it came to updates and, well, a lot of things. I'll be disappointed if we don't see anything today or tomorrow, absolutely. But I'm also mostly just psyched about seeing new cosmetics every week :)

Atlantis

If you're playing a support character, buy the god damned donkey, buy the god damned wards...then, depending on how competent your carry is, continue to play hard support or start getting items while still purchasing wards when needed.

Fixed for my average game.

Hard supporting a bad carry is just a mess.

Low Tier
1.09, are you using a cellphone, or just feeling lazy?

i am on my phone and some of the keys are not working for some reason so i can only post like this until i get home so sorry guys but its ok though kirby i will always be there for you we should play some games together i want to see how much youve improved your hero ideas are really good :)

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
If you're playing a support character, buy the god damned donkey, buy the god damned wards, buy a god damned salve and some tangos and don't get god damned hit so you can give them to the carry when he runs out of his. If you have brown boots before 10 minutes you are BAD AT DOTO.

Yeah, so I've gotten accustomed to taking my role as the oft sole support in solo queue pub games a little too seriously, but if I won't then who will? WHO will??

Yeah, gonna have to disagree here as well. Gotta get some gold or you become walking food. Just because you're playing support doesn't mean it's ok to die.

BigAT

Is players using macros on Invoker a thing? I just played a game where it felt like someone was invoking multiple spells instantly.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'd be upset if my support didn't have boots before ten minutes.
CM? Ok, I'll get the boots. Windrunner? I'll manage. I was exaggerating anyways. I did just play a game with Windrunner where I didn't have brown boots until like 16 minutes but there were extenuating circumstances.

but then if ur not getting hit ur not harassing ur lane which means ur carry is getting hit and not getting last hits too because he does not have space to farm which means ur just wasting tangos if u eat up regen its ok because ur trading hits with the enemy lane which means ur carry is free to farm also ive never seen anyone announce that if u dont have an item before x time ur bad that just strikes me as odd especially something as important as boots supports need farm too to get items otherwise they just fall out too fast and become nothing more than walking gold for the enemy team plz dont confuse people with ur bad advice but its ok ur just learning and im sure u meant no harm in this :)

I didn't understand a single word you just said.

Low Tier
please steve, id like to read it.

i wanna play more doto but nobody ever wants to play

this game sucks

plus, it never gets updated.

boken i will play dota with u when i get back everyone says mean things about you but i dont believe them what role do you play i like to play 2 mainly but i can play 1 or 3 as well but i may lag if we are playing on australia servers but its ok because you will carry me :)

Boken

Banned

CM? Ok, I'll get the boots. Windrunner? I'll manage. I was exaggerating anyways. I did just play a game with Windrunner where I didn't have brown boots until like 16 minutes but there were extenuating circumstances.

let me run that through my 109-o-meter

no offense, i know youre trying to help but your advice sucks
play more aggressively as a support, somebody has to get hit and its better that you do
if youre getting hit, hopefully you are hitting them back, this will create space for your carry to farm
if yure not getting hit, you bought tangos for nothing
at least give the tangos to your carry in that case (ed added)
supports still need gold, boots are good cos then you can run away

boken i will play dota with u when i get back everyone says mean things about you but i dont believe them what role do you play i like to play 2 mainly but i can play 1 or 3 as well but i may lag if we are playing on australia servers but its ok because you will carry me :)

who would dare say these things
i like to play offlane (3) because i understand the value of sacrificing for your team. so i dont mind 4/5 either.
i also like to play mid (2) cos people in normal/high suck at rune control and mid
i like 1 cos even i wants to be a hero but ppl dunno how to play 5 and that sucks

elyetis

But I'm also mostly just psyched about seeing new cosmetics every week :)
I can't say I'm not happy about it too, but it's not really the part of the patch where I tell myself 'valve really support the game' but 'the community really do some great stuff'.

Now if in the next patch Valve allow me to wear item I make myself ( I don't care if other players don't see it ), I would call it the second best patch ever ( the true one will be when they release techies in 2-36 months ).

Remember when the developer team was triple the size?
You mean when they probably also made 3 time less money ? It really should have ended with dota/dota2 parity, at least on released heroes.

But at least it mean Half life 3 will get to us sooner. ( thought I still need to do half life 2... but I'm pretty sure I can wait for the Oculus Rift consumer version at that point )

Artanisix

The thing is, if you're not getting boots tartly enough, then you're doing something wrong. Either you aren't utilizing pulls correctly, killing the enemies on your lane for reliable gold, or dying repeatedly. There comes a point where your carry should just rotate or jungle for a bit and let the support farm some items.

Playing support and sneaking in farm when you can is a difficult skill to learn.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
let me run that through my 109-o-meter
You should get Google on the horn and see if they can use you for Google Translate. That was pretty good work.

1.09, I know how to harass, thanks.

The thing is, if you're not getting boots tartly enough, then you're doing something wrong. Either you aren't utilizing pulls correctly, killing the enemies on your lane for reliable gold, or dying repeatedly. There comes a point where your carry should just rotate or jungle for a bit and let the support farm some items.

Playing support and sneaking in farm when you can is a difficult skill to learn.

Holy crap, I was just kidding. How can you read the sentence " If you have brown boots before 10 minutes you are BAD AT DOTO." and think someone is trying to dispense sound advice?

I feel like I'm getting chastised for buying the 2nd mech on my team (5 minutes before GG mind you) all over again. So much try hard.

Shinypogs

Well my first game against actual people was a bust. Our PL had never played him before and died a bunch at the start which pretty much set the tone of the game. I tried to surge him to safety when possible but * shrugs*
I bought the courier, upgraded it and bought wards ( ok only once but I was broke all the time because I was running back and forth trying to answer pings/ hold lanes when someone died.) Also fuck human brains, why won't you blithely walk into my illusion walls dammit.

That said there's a bunch of shit I did wrong that game (0 points in vaccum) that didn't help us any either. Still I can only get better with practice.. or lose my mind, one of the two.

Low Tier
because people in this thread will take any and all advice seriously i think so it is best that you not dispense sarcasm because it does not translate well over the internet also if you know how to harass properly how can you not take any damage and not eat any tangos are u a wizard or did u buy like 3 ring of regens in lane so ur fucking ownage if thats the case i would like to watch some of ur high level replays i dont think even ixmike can do that :)

Anteo

You should get Google on the horn and see if they can use you for Google Translate. That was pretty good work.

1.09, I know how to harass, thanks.

Holy crap, I was just kidding. How can you read the sentence " If you have brown boots before 10 minutes you are BAD AT DOTO." and think someone is trying to dispense sound advice?

I feel like I'm getting chastised for buying the 2nd mech on my team (5 minutes before GG mind you) all over again. So much try hard.

OMG you got a second mek 5 minutes before you lose a game? why????

dorkimoe

Honestly...i dont even know what to say about the match i just had

http://dotabuff.com/matches/299703758

They had naix/am who had free farm. The AM had vlads and half bkb and the naix had armlet and midas when our Sniper had boots and nothing else.

We were getting stomped...we somehow won...i dont even..

i bet forcing people to do things will make them happier and make a better product

ummmm... people shouldn't be going to work to have fun. i understand the point you're making here, but valve is the employer and has the authority to say x guy has to work on y project. that's how it goes. that's their fucking job

Anteo

Something I wanted to discuss about...

Whenever I spot a enemy with a ward. I generally try to mask that I know about them if I have enough time, moving back while animation canceling my attacks (it helps that I tend to move a lot to last hit on the lane)

I really hate when my teamates act so obvious that they just rush back in or go by the enemy creeps to get to the hidden enemy. Like they forget they can check the map too and the creeps give vision.

Valve wouldn't have pulled the tournament without a good reason, so I take the things he says lightly. And I also say he, because it's clearly one person.

He still hasn't told us how many tickets were sold and if the payout was 20% of ticket sales as agreed on. It also doesn't excuse that when asked for these receipts they were so quick to throw out into the public Internet, the contributor of the Wyrmeleon was met with hostility.

Valve wouldn't have pulled the tournament without a good reason, so I take the things he says lightly. And I also say he, because it's clearly one person.

i don't know why you trust the people managing this game so much. they've made so many backwards decisions and have a tendency to believe/support any opinion popular on reddit

seems to me the guy has proof he's right and people like you are just piling on because everyone else can't be wrong. herp derp

ummmm... people shouldn't be going to work to have fun. i understand the point you're making here, but valve is the employer and has the authority to say x guy has to work on y project. that's how it goes. that's their fucking job

If they want to be told what to do they can go take their talent to just about any other video game company on earth. They come to Valve because they work well and even thrive in that environment.

They are some of the best, they get to have fun while they do what they enjoy.

i don't know why you trust the people managing this game so much. they've made so many backwards decisions and have a tendency to believe/support any opinion popular on reddit

seems to me the guy has proof he's right and people like you are just piling on because everyone else can't be wrong. herp derp

I remember when they added concede.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also how do I tell a friend that he's really bad at playing aggressive support? Like...unable to make a Slark Lina Lion trilane an absolute nightmare bad.

Boken

Banned
If they want to be told what to do they can go take their talent to just about any other video game company on earth. They come to Valve because they work well and even thrive in that environment.

They are some of the best, they get to have fun while they do what they enjoy.

I remember when they added concede.
Not adding concede is such a backwards move!
Also how do I tell a friend that he's really bad at playing aggressive support? Like...unable to make a Slark Lina Lion trilane an absolute nightmare bad.
Bro, my grandma is more aggressive than you

Why would Valve remove a ticket they make tons of money from. They take like half the money the ticket makes...

There'd be no real logical reason to remove the ticket. They take a hit of profit from removing the tickets, a lot of it.

Note the press release. They say "he received 20% of sales, see, big check!" but there's no proof that's 20%. They never said how many tickets were sold, what their payment from Valve was that they took that 20% from.

Why would Valve remove a ticket they make tons of money from. They take like half the money the ticket makes...

There'd be no real logical reason to remove the ticket. They take a hit of profit from removing the tickets, a lot of it.

Note the press release. They say "he received 20% of sales, see, big check!" but there's no proof that's 20%. They never said how many tickets were sold, what their payment from Valve was that they took that 20% from.

theyre just backwards herp derp

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How long did it take most of you guys to leave normal and get into high and very high games? Any ideas on what contributes to it?

playing original dota, then hon, then dota 2 for 5+ years

Have they made any indication that they plan to support future enhancements after that? Or are people expecting just a bunch of minor tweaks/balancing/bug fixes after they roll out all the Dota 1 stuff?

I'm sure just making everything balanced & competitive for the pro scene takes a lot of time, energy, and resources. And the game is already rich and deep enough to me (who still hasn't played every hero and still isn't good at game) that it really doesn't need more stuff, really. But I'm guess those of you who have hit 2000+ hours would want some sort of idea of what Valve's future plans for the game are beyond Dota 1 feature parity.

Valve doesn't balance anything, create heroes, or make gameplay changes--Icefrog does that. I guess technically he works for Valve now, but he's the only one that changes the balance of the map. I honestly don't give a shit what they do after it hits parity (I'd be content with Icefrog's 6 month updates), but at this rate it won't reach parity for another 3 years. Not to mention all the little mechanical differences that they probably will never fix (i.e. SD swap, Chrono being a pause not a stun, pudge hook, sf raze, etc...). They basically port/update everything and monetize the game.

Honestly, we might even reach a point where icefrog is releasing more heroes than valve is porting (he releases 2-4 a year).

Custom modding is amazing and if they are working on that then I take back everything nasty I said. However, I really doubt that simply because you might want to finish the goddam game before releasing the mod tools for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom