• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Will most likely be a main client patch, so no new hero. Some tournament ticket will be added tonight (and matches start tomorrow or something and the guy wants the ticket in the store so he can pay for the prizepool).

So unless it's a double update I guess it won't be anything big.

Can't wait to buy my TPL tickey

there's also the animation looping fix for wards and couriers confirmed for this week.

So we are getting a patch eventually... just stands to see how big it turns out.

Chris R

after 1000 hours in CSGO and seeing its major flaws still remain a year later while Valve smothers DOTA 2 with love and embrace....I made the decision to finally learn this game.

I have a ton of Starcraft 2 time, so that should help. The tuturials are what finally made me want to take on all the learning Im going to have to do, and so far they are incredibly welcoming and friendly.

im excited to be part of the dota community.

The tutorials are great. I've only played ~35 games so far but I'm really enjoying the game (even if I'm pretty bad at it still).

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
after 1000 hours in CSGO and seeing its major flaws still remain a year later while Valve smothers DOTA 2 with love and embrace....I made the decision to finally learn this game.

I have a ton of Starcraft 2 time, so that should help. The tuturials are what finally made me want to take on all the learning Im going to have to do, and so far they are incredibly welcoming and friendly.

Well you just missed that.

Now we're in the same boat as CSGO.

I can't even imagine the Dota 2 community with the release schedule the game will have in 3-5 years.

If 2 months without a new hero means the game is dead and 30+ new item sets since then isn't any content, they should look at TF2's update history over the last year haha.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'd imagine it will be like DotA, people are probably getting tired of the time it's taking to just add all the heroes.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I can't even imagine the Dota 2 community with the release schedule the game will have in 3-5 years.

If 2 months without a new hero means the game is dead and 30+ new item sets since then isn't any content, they should look at TF2's update history over the last year haha.

I don't know, I think that's acceptable when you've reached a certain point (like ikuu said above). Dota 1 is different because dota 1 is a finished game. Dota 2 is a promised direct port that hasn't been 100% ported for over 3 years now. Missing core heroes, missing core game modes, and cluttered with faulty mechanics here and there that haven't been fixed in forever. I think people expect more because of this.

Dota 2 is a wonderful game and I love it to death, but to go from the 2011-2012 content release cycle to this... is just disappointing to say the least, especially when there is still a chunk of content to add.

I noticed that both s2 and Valve's content releases slowed significantly after their stores/cosmetics were released :p. I guess it makes sense that when the game becomes profitable they start to move people to cosmetics (chests, keys, item verification duty idk), store management, monetization features (compendium/fantasy teams), and quite simply, to other games.

dekjo

Dota 2 is a port that hasn't been 100% ported for over 3 years now. Missing core heroes, missing core game modes...

Really? Like what? I never played dota 1, so am not familiar with everything that was in the game.

Not looking for a full roster of heros, just which ones are the most prominent ones that are missing. And what other game modes were there?

Haines

Banned
The tutorials are great. I've only played ~35 games so far but I'm really enjoying the game (even if I'm pretty bad at it still).

Once I get past all the "training" how was community and learning curve when you were thrown in with the wolves? Was it pretty rough for the first 10 or so games?

valve's approach to dota 2 is much different than other dota games, they seem to be mostly hands off and let the community generate content (barring the international, which was partially crowd funded this time around). I don't know if this can compete with riot's take on esports in the long run.

Razzer

I don't know, I think that's acceptable when you've reached a certain point (like ikuu said above). Dota 1 is different because dota 1 is a finished game. Dota 2 is a promised direct port that hasn't been 100% ported for over 3 years now. Missing core heroes, missing core game modes, and cluttered with faulty mechanics here and there that haven't been fixed in forever. I think people expect more because of this.

Dota 2 is a wonderful game and I love it to death, but to go from the 2011-2012 content release cycle to this... is just disappointing to say the least, especially when there is still a chunk of content to add.

I noticed that both s2 and Valve's content releases slowed significantly after their stores/cosmetics were released :p. I guess it makes sense that when the game becomes profitable they start to move people to cosmetics (chests, keys, item verification duty idk), store management, monetization features (compendium/fantasy teams), and quite simply, to other games.

With the way valve's employees can do what they like, it may be that a number of them have simply decided they don't want to work on things like heroes for a while, which may be why the rate has slowed down so much. Also, the rumoured horde mode, getting the mod tools and/or a possible map editor ready and other miscellaneous features could be holding their interest, and therefore effort. Of course many including me will think they should just focus on reaching parity before any of that but unfortunately with valve's structure it comes down to the whim of the worker's really.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Aside from the control style it's not going to help.

Skab

Interesting, thanks. So if these updates on that page are made, would Dota 2 reach feature parity of Dota 1?

There are a couple of game modes in Dota 1(give me captains draft already damn it.) that are not listed on that page. But other than those, yes.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There's not even been the usual Valve notification of a server update, so if there is a patch tonight it's still a few hours away.

Chris R

Once I get past all the "training" how was community and learning curve when you were thrown in with the wolves? Was it pretty rough for the first 10 or so games?

It wasn't bad. I mean I still get yelled at from time to time and haven't purchased a ward yet but I'm not playing against the best players in the world either (outside of a random smurf now and then).

Chris R

If I buy wards then I can't buy my other items as fast :(

So basically don't tell me to buy wards, tell me to get better at last hitting so I can afford the wards along with my shiny gear :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

So basically don't tell me to buy wards, tell me to get better at last hitting so I can afford the wards along with my shiny gear :p

Let me shit on your parade further:

If you're the one buying wards, you shouldn't be doing a lot of last hitting.

dekjo

There are a couple of game modes in Dota 1(give me captains draft already damn it.) that are not listed on that page. But other than those, yes.

Have they made any indication that they plan to support future enhancements after that? Or are people expecting just a bunch of minor tweaks/balancing/bug fixes after they roll out all the Dota 1 stuff?

I'm sure just making everything balanced & competitive for the pro scene takes a lot of time, energy, and resources. And the game is already rich and deep enough to me (who still hasn't played every hero and still isn't good at game) that it really doesn't need more stuff, really. But I'm guess those of you who have hit 2000+ hours would want some sort of idea of what Valve's future plans for the game are beyond Dota 1 feature parity.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

If you're a support you shouldn't be last hitting as much anyway. The vision from wards is probably more valuable to the team then most of your early items. Sorry, but a Null Talisman or whatever doesn't have as much impact as good warding.

If you're in more of a carry role then yeah, you should be last hitting and farming but then other players should be the ones buying the wards for you. But in the low tier the chances of that are unfortunately slim...

guys this just means when we do get an update it will be HUGE

right

Maybe they're waiting for 6.79 and working on implementing it for a parity patch next week. They did this sort of stuff with 6.78 (the weeks before were very light)

I don't know, something must be up. Before TI3 they said they had enough unshipped fixes and content to last for weeks after TI3 while they rest. Evidently they seem to have shipped the entire load in one patch and called it a day.

How long did it take most of you guys to leave normal and get into high and very high games? Any ideas on what contributes to it?

Honestly I got out of Normal very quickly once I started playing properly, it just felt like one game Dota just clicked and I went on a big win streak.

Half of what contributes to it is just getting better and maybe staying away from heroes that don't impact the game a lot by themselves. also I wouldn't recommend hard carries or playing super hardcore support. Try not to rely on your team's hard carry being able to farm well or your support being able to create space for you to farm, go mid if you can with someone like QoP or Puck, anyone who can setup kills really. Some supports are good too if you can set up kills with them, doesn't matter if your carry can't last hit if you can get some kills in lane

Low Tier
all u gotta do is be ownage at dota if ur ownage at dota it means that you can get into very high matchmaking which isnt really a big deal at all really there are alot of awful players in there that honestly make gaffers look halfdecent so dont worry about matchmaking and where valve places u as long as youre having fun its all that matters :)

bounchfx

walve... WALVE. where dat pach? gimmie dis week pls I don't like le waiting ;(. by the time they wind up doing another store update I'll have had 1set/6items/2couriers in! I'm dying to see if any actually make it to the store. so. much. anticipation!

shira

vzedjhp.jpg

My god, you almost finished the I by yourself

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If you're playing a support character, buy the god damned donkey, buy the god damned wards, buy a god damned salve and some tangos and don't get god damned hit so you can give them to the carry when he runs out of his. If you have brown boots before 10 minutes you are BAD AT DOTO.

Yeah, so I've gotten accustomed to taking my role as the oft sole support in solo queue pub games a little too seriously, but if I won't then who will? WHO will??

Arkanius

Tomorrow we get the hats guys.
This is getting pathetic. It's like Valve doesn't want to finish porting the game, at all.
Remember when we had TRIPLE HERO patches?

bounchfx

people are joking about being mad about no updates right? It's a free game, with free updates, that gets continued regular support and content, even if it's not on a completely strict schedule.

people are joking about being mad about no updates right? It's a free game, with free updates, that gets continued regular support and content, even if it's not on a completely strict schedule.

I actually just wrote out a post about this but thought it was too serious and mean so I pressed back.

Artanisix

If you're playing a support character, buy the god damned donkey, buy the god damned wards, buy a god damned salve and some tangos and don't get god damned hit so you can give them to the carry when he runs out of his. If you have brown boots before 10 minutes you are BAD AT DOTO.

Yeah, so I've gotten accustomed to taking my role as the oft sole support in solo queue pub games a little too seriously, but if I won't then who will? WHO will??

I'd be upset if my support didn't have boots before ten minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom