• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How long did it take most of you guys to leave normal and get into high and very high games? Any ideas on what contributes to it?

Win rate + match performance (only works early on I believe).

It took me about 3-4 weeks of duo/tri queueing on a brand new smurf account to go from Normal to Very High. This is with 7-8 or so years of dota/moba experience under my belt.

Gofu

Banned
guys im having a lot of trouble with the hero HTuskar, how do i counter him he is very strong strength hero and his ult does a lot of damage to me

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How long did it take most of you guys to leave normal and get into high and very high games? Any ideas on what contributes to it?

Win rate + match performance (only works early on I believe).

It took me about 3-4 weeks of duo/tri queueing on a brand new smurf account to go from Normal to Very High. This is with 7-8 or so years of dota/moba experience.

EDIT: The thing about this figure is that dota used to be a very different game and everything was a lot more casual back then. If I had to say when I started actively trying to get good at the game instead of derping around in -em, I'd have to say around 2009 with Clan TDA games, leading into HoN in 2010 and 2011.

So around 4 years total to go from nooblord to Very High.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
why would Valve remove the tickets if there wasn't an actual issue?

they also posted Vidotta's CPF... (social security number in Brazil)

maybe they... made a mistake? I mean without Valve going into specifics were kinda stuck and we'll probably never know. But Valve isn't God, they could easily have received a complaint from one of the item modellers that he wasn't being paid enough (when he was), and then pulled the ticket, who knows? Or TPL could truly be scum, either way it's naive to blindly trust one side. Like you I tend to trust Valve more because I know jack shit about TPL and their CEO is crazy shady, but at the same time, it's foolish to think Valve always makes perfectly rational decisions and will never make a mistake or act hastily, ever.

turns out some places let you do what you want, be good at it, and get paid for it

its a win for everyone! except for a community who expects timely updates to an unfinished game

fix'd

maybe they... made a mistake? I mean without Valve going into specifics were kinda stuck and we'll probably never know. But Valve isn't God, they could easily have received a complaint from one of the item modellers that he wasn't being paid enough (when he was), and then pulled the ticket, who knows? Or TPL could truly be scum, either way it's naive to blindly trust one side.

It's not blindly trusting one side when you have a known scammer vs a company with a financial interest in ticket sales :/

Finalow

new combo.

i8Hc2zEAONQjr.gif

shira

maybe they... made a mistake? I mean without Valve going into specifics were kinda stuck and we'll probably never know. But Valve isn't God, they could easily have received a complaint from one of the item modellers that he wasn't being paid enough (when he was), and then pulled the ticket, who knows? Or TPL could truly be scum, either way it's naive to blindly trust one side. Like you I tend to trust Valve more because I know jack shit about TPL and their CEO is crazy shady, but at the same time, it's foolish to think Valve always makes perfectly rational decisions and will never make a mistake or act hastily, ever.

fix'd

he/she Anuxi hasn't been paid either

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
dont make me use the e word

If the game was finished, then you can say no one has a right to whine and use whatever the hell word you want. Game is unfinished and moving at a snail's pace, hence consumer whining--"bu bu bu it's free 2 play gabe doesn't owe u nuttin," yeah yeah. Finish the goddam game then you've earned the right to release a bug fix update once a month.

to the majority of people who have never played WC3 Dota, Dota 2 is basically done.

There's also only 4 CM heroes left (LC, Techies, ES, TB), after that the heroes are basically just for fun and that shouldn't really be a priority.

Hylian7

Chrono being a pause not a stun, sf raze, etc...)..
Explain these two. I feel like Chrono being a pause and not a stun is the way it should be. I'm assuming it still went through BKB in Dots 1.

As for the SF Raze, no idea what the beef with that is.

Low Tier
Explain these two. I feel like Chrono being a pause and not a stun is the way it should be. I'm assuming it still went through BKB in Dots 1.

if youve ever played dota 1 the razes there are much smoother and more importantly you can raze while turning which you cant do in dota 2 because sf pauses for a raze but im sure uve noticed that in all ur games of sf :)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yes, that is the way it should be. In dota 2 it is a stun, not a pause. It's coded as a stun that goes through bkb btw (in dota 2).

In dota 1 you could raze while turning, in dota 2 you have to turn then raze or raze then turn. Sf needs to come to a complete stop and it makes for a clunkier and harder raze. It's actually part of the reason why hardcore chinese dota 1 players wouldn't switch (and some still won't--i.e. yaphets). After they saw the international $$$, they stopped caring tho.

Also, these are just a few very specific examples of mechanical differences, there are plenty more in the game that will probably go unfixed (icefrog had to manually nerf batrider to get valve to bring him to parity), but it's whatever, they are minor. I'd much rather they finish all the heroes and modes and then maybe look over these issues.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just got a fucking abandon because after a crash Windows idled for three minutes on the logo screen and then when I logged in of course Steam needed another three minutes to "verify installation"

Hylian7

Yes, that is the way it should be. In dota 2 it is a stun, not a pause. It's coded as a stun that goes through bkb btw (in dota 2).

In dota 1 you could raze while turning, in dota 2 you have to turn then raze or raze then turn. Sf needs to come to a complete stop and it makes for a clunkier and harder raze. It's actually part of the reason why hardcore chinese dota 1 players wouldn't switch (and some still won't--i.e. yaphets). After they saw the international $$$, they stopped caring tho.

Also, these are just a few very specific examples of mechanical differences, there are plenty more in the game that will probably go unfixed (icefrog had to manually nerf batrider to get valve to bring him to parity), but it's whatever, they are minor. I'd much rather they finish all the heroes and modes and then maybe look over these issues.
About the Chrono thing, what would it change? Would it just immobilize heroes (for instance you can't Pudge hook people out of them)?

My only Dots 1 experience is briefly messing with the map and AI map by myself. I have played zero real games.

KingKong

is there a worse Dota feeling than your teammate FV trapping you right on the edge of the chronosphere so that two enemies right click you to death and win the team fight and the game?

is there a worse Dota feeling than your teammate FV trapping you right on the edge of the chronosphere so that two enemies right click you to death and win the team fight and the game?

Magnus skewering your enemies out of a perfect trap you set and they proceed to wipe you out.

woodland

About the Chrono thing, what would it change? Would it just immobilize heroes (for instance you can't Pudge hook people out of them)?

My only Dots 1 experience is briefly messing with the map and AI map by myself. I have played zero real games.

I didn't play Dota 1 either so I'm just spitballing, but a pause sounds like any skills/etc being casted would be paused, whereas now I think they're completely stopped, i.e. SF Raze/Ult animation, etc.

Shinypogs

Had my first game against people where I didn't die. Went 4-0-11 which I'm sure is pitiful but it's only like my 6th game against not bots. My love for dark seer + Ursa was reaffirmed, I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something when a surge on him ends in a kill. Good communication from that player also made things easy.

ElyrionX

I don't underdstand the Batrider remark. Doesn't Icefrog work for Valve?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I don't underdstand the Batrider remark. Doesn't Icefrog work for Valve?

Yeah, but he's not in charge of dota 2 bugfixes, and probably doesn't have time to work on bugfixes anyway. His job is just to keep balancing the map, the gameplay, and coming up with new heroes.

If you get bashed in chrono, the stun doesn't go into affect until after the chronosphere is over, so add +2 seconds to your lockdown. Also nothing ticks down, so if someone is BKB'd in the chrono it will freeze at whatever duration it was at.

Hylian7

Yeah, but he's not in charge of dota 2 bugfixes, and probably doesn't have time to work on bugfixes anyway. His job is just to keep balancing the map, the gameplay, and coming up with new heroes.

If you get bashed in chrono, the stun doesn't go into affect until after the chronosphere is over, so add +2 seconds to your lockdown. Also nothing ticks down, so if someone is BKB'd in the chrono it will freeze at whatever duration it was at.

That... Sounds huge! How have they not fixed that?! I'm already thinking about combos with this. I'll need to test things with this.

A few immediate questions that come to mind about it though.

If a Sand King charges up Epicenter and gets Chrono'd before he finishes, does he resume after it ends, assuming he does not get bashed or stunned?

Can Storm Spirit still Ball Lightning through a Chrono?

I'm guessing Doom would almost be like it's current Aghs upgrade.

Are projectiles into the Chrono frozen?

MKAllDay

Ok, I am about to go out there with a wild prediction so feel free to make fun of and point and laugh at me.

It seems strange that Valve would inexplicably have no patch this week, a week where people were expecting a decent patch given last week's patch being tiny and the thought that the post TI hangover should be gone. At the very least we could expect another garbage patch, but instead there is nothing.

So what if: 6.79 is coming out very soon and Valve is hard at work implementing the parity changes into Dota 2.

Or
they are hard at work getting Terrorblade in the game... If only :(

ElyrionX

EDIT: The thing about this figure is that dota used to be a very different game and everything was a lot more casual back then.

This is true. I played 1 from 04 to 08 and recently returned to the game.

The meta is very very different now and the standards have been raised noticeably. Back then, it was almost unheard of to have obs wards in pubs but these days it happens almost every other game, even in low level mm. People also used to just autoattack instead of last hitting but only the very new players do that now. Plus, two in mid used to be the standard instead of the solo mid we have now. Things have definitely changed.

Dahbomb

I miss the days when losing your courier with items in it meant losing your items for real. I lost a game once when my courier was sniped at secret shop carrying a full Butterfly. That was my one and only rage quit in Dota.

This is true. I played 1 from 04 to 08 and recently returned to the game.

The meta is very very different now and the standards have been raised noticeably. Back then, it was almost unheard of to have obs wards in pubs but these days it happens almost every other game, even in low level mm. People also used to just autoattack instead of last hitting but only the very new players do that now. Plus, two in mid used to be the standard instead of the solo mid we have now. Things have definitely changed.

HAHA Im guilty of this. I spent (almost) my entire Dota playtime without no one buying observer wards. I am thinking "150 is a lot and the vision it gives is only temporary, I would rather spend my gold on Guinsoo's Scythe".

I think the ingame guides, the easier accessibility of viewing pro matches, replays and dotabuff increases awareness for higher gameplay performance. Also, the occassional "We need wards."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom