• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneils

Well there are ingame guides so why don't you use those? Just follow the suggested route.

I would still suggest reading the highest rated guide on playdota.com first though. Sometimes the highest rated ingame guides are shit. It's rare, but it still happens.

Choose your hero before you start the match and read up on him beforehand.

Didn't see any for items. Are they in the tutorial? Or are you talking about the community guides?

Boken

Banned
I am not a nerd thank you very much.
hi5
Pretty much. Two of his skills scream carry. I liken it to playing necro in the 4/5 position, its possible but it is not efficient.

Stormbolt pretty imba but it isn't too crazy past 20 mins.

If you want a beefy support or iniator try jakiro, tidehunter, beastmaster, omni, ogre magi. They're all pretty item independent and can still do some pretty wtf damage and spells while being tanky.

pls
necro4/5 is way more effective than sven 4/5

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
When starting out, do you recommend really getting to know one hero and just keep using that hero, or mix it up between two or three different roles? I know it is "jack-of-all-trades vs. Master-of-one" sort of argument.

i dont know what any of this means but ok

Necro is a dire intelligence hero, short for Necrolyte. He's a carry (a person who accumulates items in order to do meaningful damage) that also has a heal, some people play him as support but he's more effective if he can stay long in a fight to let his aura drain people's health.

1-5 position system is a ranking of a player's role on a team in which they recieve gold. 1 is usually a carry and recieves most of the farm, 5 is the person who buys wards and rarely gets gold. It is a dynamic system so some players may be a 2 earlier in the game and then shift into 5 based on what items on what heroes the team needs.

Stormbolt is sven's stun, his Q ability. I guess its called Storm Hammer in Dota 2.

When starting out, do you recommend really getting to know one hero and just keep using that hero, or mix it up between two or three different roles? I know it is "jack-of-all-trades vs. Master-of-one" sort of argument.

I picked whatever hero's card looked the coolest and kept doing that until I learned them all.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

I'd stick to a few heroes, but don't limit yourself to one. Play a few easy heroes like Lich, Ursa, Tidehunter, and see which role you like and go from there. Lich is a staple support, Tidehunter a staple tank + initiator, and ursa a staple carry. Chances are if you're new you're going to be playing against other people that are new or really bad, so I don't think it really matters too much which hero you pick since chances are everyone in the game will not be using their heroes effectively.

+1, a little 5-10 damage boost would go a long, long way.

She's been picked up here and there in comp. probably more than 70% of the hero pool. It's pretty clear Icefrog wants her to have a hard time right clicking/last hitting in laning and push her into the ganker/semi-carry role. get dem quick phase boots with ur first blood arrow u nerds

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

"Jack of all trades, master of none,
Certainly better than a master of one"

Artanisix

She's been picked up here and there in comp. probably more than 70% of the hero pool. It's pretty clear Icefrog wants her to have a hard time right clicking/last hitting in laning and push her into the ganker/semi-carry role. get dem quick phase boots with ur first blood arrow u nerds

Beats your garbage "let's let Lycan wolves scale with his gear" recommendation

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's stupid that they don't already, supports are completely useless lategame.

So they can be unkillable by towers?

Milkman bro do I really gotta break it down for you dawg. Aight, wolves start off with 200 base hp and 25-30, 30-35, 35-40, 40-45 base damage. They receive 15% of lycan's base strength. So at level 1, they receive 3.3 extra str from lycan, increasing their hp by 62.7 and damage by 3.3 at level 1 and 258.7 and by 13.6125 at level 25. This excludes +str items that add to strength, but those are pretty minor in the scheme of things. icefraud hire me now ez ez ez

If you want to thematically make it fit with feral impulse, make it 30% of lycan's base strength and reduce the base damage/hp numbers, it's just math bro.

Sibylus

Banned
If wards gave gold, I'd have to eat shit as support and give it to someone else anyway.

graphics-eeyore-766933.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Unless it was a trivial amount of gold, like under 75 (ie the cost of one). Could make roaming and being a support easier, dunno.

Aselith

Unless it was a trivial amount of gold, like under 75 (ie the cost of one). Could make roaming and being a support easier, dunno.

What if buying a ward gave you a small bump in gold for the duration of the ward so you got back the entire cost of the ward over the 6 minutes but still had to forgo the gold being immediately available to you. I think that would help supports without being a serious issue.

Hylian7

I legitimately like going for midas on brood if I'm doing well though. She's an awesome right click carry.
I can see that. I used to play her that way when I first started playing Dota.

It can make your Midas late if you have to de-sentry your lane though.

Sibylus

Banned
What if buying a ward gave you a small bump in gold for the duration of the ward so you got back the entire cost of the ward over the 6 minutes but still had to forgo the gold being immediately available to you. I think that would help supports without being a serious issue.
So the ward pays for itself if it isn't counterwarded. Hmmm. I like it, but I'm not sure if the change would be non-destructive in competitive play.

oneils

Whoo! Won my first public match! I have a win rate of 100%!

An member of the opposing team disconnected about half way through the game shortly after we destroyed the second bottom tower. Don't know if that was intentional or not. Too bad for the other team.

My record was pathetic 2/5/4

Match stats are here : http://dotabuff.com/matches/240802365

Hylian7

Whoo! Won my first public match! I have a win rate of 100%!

An member of the opposing team disconnected about half way through the game shortly after we destroyed the second bottom tower. Don't know if that was intentional or not. Too bad for the other team.

My record was pathetic 2/5/4

Match stats are here : http://dotabuff.com/matches/240802365
Oh my god, Blademail Lion, ahahaha!

I know it is your first game, but so many of those items are hilarious to see on those heroes. The lack of boots on a lot of people is hilarious too.

Try getting boots and upgrading them next time. Also stacking movement speed with Yasha/Manta and Drums is good on Viper.

oneils

Oh my god, Blademail Lion, ahahaha!

I know it is your first game, but so many of those items are hilarious to see on those heroes. The lack of boots on a lot of people is hilarious too.

Try getting boots and upgrading them next time. Also stacking movement speed with Yasha/Manta and Drums is good on Viper.

Yeah, I was slow as molasses. Just stacked damage and pots. Still trying to get the feel of what items are important. Speed just wasn't important in bot matches.

The bounty hunter on the opposing team was pretty good. Speed would have definitely helped me get away from him. I think he got me 3 out of the 5 times I died.

Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom