• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

de1irium

6 or 7 years ago I bought WC3:FT just to play DotA... joined a "newbies only" lobby and got shat on for being a newbie. Never played it again.

Just played my 2nd-ever Dota2 match against humans and won ... I'm not entirely sure I know quite WTF I'm doing, but I think I'm hooked.

bounchfx

6 or 7 years ago I bought WC3:FT just to play DotA... joined a "newbies only" lobby and got shat on for being a newbie. Never played it again.

Just played my 2nd-ever Dota2 match against humans and won ... I'm not entirely sure I know quite WTF I'm doing, but I think I'm hooked.

the more you play, the more you'll figure stuff out.. and it only gets better from there

Aselith

So the ward pays for itself if it isn't counterwarded. Hmmm. I like it, but I'm not sure if the change would be non-destructive in competitive play.

Yeah, the thought was the first one costs you but then subsequently re-warding is then "free" assuming the game doesn't end earlier. It gives the support effectively 150 gold to play with during the game which isn't a huge bump so no real big deal but helps out people who are always going to be poor since they aren't getting the last hits.

Ultrabum

I dunno if you need such a crazy ward mechanic, but supports have been getting more and more gold each patch.

The assist gold increases, and the obs wards from 200-150 gold to name 2 examples.

ink4n3

NEWB! Just kidding. Ask around here, watch some youtube videos, watch the pro matches...I've been playing this game for about 11 years now and it never gets old. I'm pretty sure I'm still a noob as well...

LoL gives money for killing wards!

Apparently it was a thing where you would find the ward and then feed it to your carry, so in the last patch they split the gold between the person who gave vision on the ward and the person who killed it.

Or denying vision around the map is enough of a reward.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Apparently it was a thing where you would find the ward and then feed it to your carry, so in the last patch they split the gold between the person who gave vision on the ward and the person who killed it.

Or denying vision around the map is enough of a reward.

Considering how few wards you can have in Dota, I think denying vision is more then enough.

Also, I feel like posting this gif:

GTLBEav.gif

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
late game supports? Ward/deward, watch minimap, stack camps if you are stalled and be there with healing and other support items when team fights happen.

I'm starting to random every game now and got kunkaa. His boat is the weirdest skill for accuracy and timing. Never got used to it. Farming is kinda boring too, but probably because I dunno what to do once I have all my items... :<

Considering how few wards you can have in Dota, I think denying vision is more then enough.

Also, I feel like posting this gif:

GTLBEav.gif

I agree with Drkirby. Denying vision and making your enemy waste 150 gold is rewarding enough. I'm a ward bitch most of the time and I feel some satisfaction whenever I successfully deward. Supports can farm gold by using skills on creeps, assists and kill secures.

late game supports? Ward/deward, watch minimap, stack camps if you are stalled and be there with healing and other support items when team fights happen.

I'm starting to random every game now and got kunkaa. His boat is the weirdest skill for accuracy and timing. Never got used to it. Farming is kinda boring too, but probably because I dunno what to do once I have all my items... :<

One trick I'm using is making sure you are out of range from the clash and the range of your ship, click the center of the clash area and Kunkka will walk towards it and it will land the ship accurately. However, this is often not the case as you will often find yourself clashing in the center of the teamfight when using shadowblade -> rightclick. It's becomes tricker when you have to combine his other skills. X Marks the Spot, Torrent and Ship all requires practice.

(sorry for my bad sentence structure)

Clawww

I agree with Drkirby. Denying vision and making your enemy waste 150 gold is rewarding enough. I'm a ward bitch most of the time and I feel some satisfaction whenever I successfully deward. Supports can farm gold by using skills on creeps, assists and kill secures.

getting dewarded is infuriating

so you can revel in that as you spend 20 seconds whiffing attacks on cliffwards

sixghost

I legitimately like going for midas on brood if I'm doing well though. She's an awesome right click carry.

I've been having some trouble laning with her. If it's 1v2 in the offlane, should I just be trying to stay alive? I was just up against a rubick and bane, and the few times I tried to harass them or get some farm, they instantly dropped a sentry, lift, fiends grip, then nightmare if they needed it. Should I just be leeching experience against a lane like that?

What do your late game items look like? I went midas, manta, bkb, then AC.

I randomed for a long stretch as well to get used to a lot of heroes after I got over what I guess is the second hump in terms of understanding the game. Now I still random fairly frequently, but often try to tactically pick something that fits with the team's lineup. Unless I'm just itching to play something specific where I'll lock it early.

---

Hero I played twice today was Warlock. He's definitely an easy one if you can't pick a carry yet you want to make a huge impact on the game. Godly lane harass and pretty much insta-win team fights. A little squishy, but fine if you're the Mek builder. Never got too much farm playing as a support vs. getting to go mid, so my item progression wasn't the fastest, but I managed to pickup Arcanes + Aghs (and maybe one or two small other things) both games in 40 minutes or less. Anything after Arcanes + Mek is pure luxury though. No flash farming skills, so most of the gold you get is going to be whatever you pick up in laning, towers, and team fights. So if double or quad golem comes out early, you know you're in some deep shit.

Wunder

I've been having some trouble laning with her. If it's 1v2 in the offlane, should I just be trying to stay alive? I was just up against a rubick and bane, and the few times I tried to harass them or get some farm, they instantly dropped a sentry, lift, fiends grip, then nightmare if they needed it. Should I just be leeching experience against a lane like that?

What do your late game items look like? I went midas, manta, bkb, then AC.

I know Purge isn't the most appreciated guy here and he definitely isn't the best in the world or anything, but I feel like that video is pretty good at explaining how to deal with a tough offlane. Try your best to stay alive but if they are spamming sentries on you and actively keeping you out just get cs where you can and try to deward if you want.

snack

I just played a game where one of our teammates gg'ed after 7 minutes. Ruined the game for the rest of us. daisdjspaijdpjsadpj

Anteo

This game is the proof that forfeit should never be implemented people throw the easiest games.

I mean, they got the early game, they got the mid game, they had any and every advantage and they throw. Watch the replay and laugh at my worst performance ever as a Bloodseeker.

Anteo

I had a 3 rax down comeback! With the enemy still with all their tier 2 towers!
Granted the enemy team could not find a way to break our Medu with Rapier, then we push and got destroyed by a awesome dive by Medu, Rapier on the ground picked by enemy Troll. You can imagine how that went. Wait no you cant, Jakiro managed to kill Troll somehow and we wiped them after a buyback form some of us. No t4 tower left on our side though. And medu gets a second rapier and a push for the GG. Best throw ever.

I've taken a love to Templar Assassin over the past few days and finally bought the Third Insight set to her (DAT PONYTAIL) and the 2013 compendium today.

Corsick

Are item drops random at the end of games or are there specific requirements to get one? I won a game and got nothing, so I was curious. (I'm a complete newbie and just finished my second game)

ink4n3

Are item drops random at the end of games or are there specific requirements to get one? I won a game and got nothing, so I was curious. (I'm a complete newbie and just finished my second game)

They are at the end of the game and random as to who gets them. Longer games usually have more drops.

Wunder

Random! Things like chests and player cards probably have a greater chance of dropping. You also get 1 equippable item every time you level up, I believe.

The longer the game the more chances you get something, generally. Other than that - it's pure random.

Corsick

They are at the end of the game and random as to who gets them. Longer games usually have more drops.

Random! Things like chests and player cards probably have a greater chance of dropping. You also get 1 equippable item every time you level up, I believe.

The longer the game the more chances you get something, generally. Other than that - it's pure random.

Thanks a bunch!

Anteo

dem shadow demon plays

You know, the first time I initiated on the sniper, I was expecting to drive him away at best, maybe a chase with warlok healing, I had no idea that the position of the clones was fixed and you could easily trap a enemy like that. That's why there is no follow up after the disruption on the first gif.

Shmowzow!

Banned
Played a game yesterday where their Razor used Static Link while invis from Shadow Blade. Abearantly you don't see the graphic if Razor is invis, causing my Ursa to be pretty goddamn ineffective.

This seems a bit OP. It's easy to miss the debuff stacking up, then - after you've died miserably - wonder why your farmed carry hits like a enfeebled lvl 1 CM. Also, Razor can still see his link moving around if you go invis AND cast it through Magic Immunity.

Seriously, why is Razor not first pick for every team ever?

Played a game yesterday where their Razor used Static Link while invis from Shadow Blade. Abearantly you don't see the graphic if Razor is invis, causing my Ursa to be pretty goddamn ineffective.

This seems a bit OP. It's easy to miss the debuff stacking up, then - after you've died miserably - wonder why your farmed carry hits like a enfeebled lvl 1 CM. Also, Razor can still see his link moving around if you go invis AND cast it through Magic Immunity.

Seriously, why is Razor not first pick for every team ever?

That might be an unintended bug, a jolt of lightning that latches on to you and dissapears doesn't seem right.

Low Tier
Razor is like a box of bananas. Sometimes you get it at your door and it's a pleasant surprise. Other times, you kind of question why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom