• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
What in the hell have you done???

Legacy mode changes controls to all the old, obtuse, Dota 1 hotkeys (every hero's abilities are on different letters). Might actually be an improvement in your case.
He's just using wasd for camera movement and uiop for skills.

I don't see the point but that's how he plays

An esdf camera control and skills on qwrt with other keys around the cluster seem better even

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
He's just using wasd for camera movement and uiop for skills.

I don't see the point but that's how he plays

An esdf camera control and skills on qwrt with other keys around the cluster seem better even

How can you get anything done with your hand swinging back and forth around the keyboard like that? Sounds like total madness to me. Do you have to LOOK at the keyboard when you move between camera control and trying to hit hotkeys for stuff? I couldn't get my hand on UIOP without looking.

For me, game became EZ-mode when I moved item hotkeys off of ZXCVBN and changed them to alt-QWE and put one on my space bar after I saw others use that setup. The less your left hand has to move the faster you do stuff on instinct.

NekwvRl.png

shira

Hey o look at the time?! it's time for #esports
League of Legends 2013 World Championship OT

What, this is the Dota thread? I'm sure a lot of you care.

#frankerz
#kappa
#raiseyourdongers
#praise the ee-sama

TI3 OT, #13546 posts. Let's see which one is more appealing to GAF

http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2013/09/dota-2-13th-september-2/
Cyborg up, praise be to Matt

KP vs Flipside/Mouz/Quantic
Live!
http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

ilHPtAG2a5C6N.png

WTF, no unusual Shag Bark, but we are going to have Waldi unusuals.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ilHPtAG2a5C6N.png

WTF, no unusual Shag Bark, but we are going to have Waldi unusuals.

shagdeal.jpg

Also, go Empire! If PR can beat this Navi with standins, then Empire has a shot!

Edit: I thought Navi v Empire was happening first. I guess they have to finish taking uesblest to the curb again.

What in the hell have you done???

Legacy mode changes controls to all the old, obtuse, Dota 1 hotkeys (every hero's abilities are on different letters). Might actually be an improvement in your case.

Calm down, I can always go back if and when it doesn't work :p

And its not like I'm inflicting my shiteness on other players while I try and figure out a control scheme that works for me :D

Swig_

Has anyone found a decent way to trade items online, especially commons and uncommons? There are several that I want and several that I have and don't want.. it'd be nice to find a way to trade in a reasonable way. dota-trade is ridiculous, you have people wanting a 3:1 ratio or worse.. Dota2wh would be cool, except they're not accepting any items that they already have and they never get new stuff in.. and the ratio is pretty bad. It's about 2:1 for rares.

So many items I'd love to trade for, but everyone wants the deal to be in their favor, all the time. No one wants to do just straight up trades.

It was pretty standard Tinker play from what I saw. Sometimes he would activate the march while looking behind him, so it would start a little closer to you (it always spawns behind his facing). That's about it. He rarely actually ran back to base, it was just a rearm into boots of travel into rearm/boots of travel, then he would come right back.

Ok, guess I just haven't seen anyone play tinker even that good yet. I have 175 hours (only I guess?) into Dota 2 so far, never played mobas before this.

Guess I've got enough ranks to start seeing people that know what they're doing to some degree. I'm rank 7 I believe now.

Razzer

Ok, guess I just haven't seen anyone play tinker even that good yet. I have 175 hours (only I guess?) into Dota 2 so far, never played mobas before this.

Guess I've got enough ranks to start seeing people that know what they're doing to some degree. I'm rank 7 I believe now.

Rank does not indicate skill, at all. It's an entirely artificial stat. Your point still stands in general though.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Calm down, I can always go back if and when it doesn't work :p

And its not like I'm inflicting my shiteness on other players while I try and figure out a control scheme that works for me :D
Sure, unless you're playing in public matches while doing it. Then you're letting 4 people down every game. :)

Rank does not indicate skill, at all. It's an entirely artificial stat. Your point still stands in general though.

True, I wish there was some way to better gauge people's skill and match them up better. Because I'm quite frankly terrible still, maybe semi-terrible-OK at a few characters.

I like the game a lot, I'm just not very good at it. I do try though.

shira

Has anyone found a decent way to trade items online, especially commons and uncommons? There are several that I want and several that I have and don't want.. it'd be nice to find a way to trade in a reasonable way. dota-trade is ridiculous, you have people wanting a 3:1 ratio or worse.. Dota2wh would be cool, except they're not accepting any items that they already have and they never get new stuff in.. and the ratio is pretty bad. It's about 2:1 for rares.

So many items I'd love to trade for, but everyone wants the deal to be in their favor, all the time. No one wants to do just straight up trades.
If you want something and you think the modeler did a good job just buy it in the shop. Support e-sports.

Nope. If you're sitting on a pile of commons and uncommons that aren't from brand new sets, you're better off either giving them away (that's what I do), deleting them to get a chance at a higher rarity item, or selling them to Warehouse, if they will even take them.

Spending time trying to find someone who wants them is usually just a waste of your lifetime. It takes way too much time and energy, and as you said, most want too much in return to be remotely fair.

Anteo

True, I wish there was some way to better gauge people's skill and match them up better. Because I'm quite frankly terrible still, maybe semi-terrible-OK at a few characters.

I like the game a lot, I'm just not very good at it. I do try though.

The fact that you are discussing this on a forum at 170 hours of playing makes you better than like half of the players.. really.

So many people that wont even research what happened or how mechanics works. Plus there is no way to lear this game fast, really.

Nope. If you're sitting on a pile of commons and uncommons that aren't from brand new sets, you're better off either giving them away (that's what I do), deleting them to get a chance at a higher rarity item, or selling them to Warehouse, if they will even take them.

Spending time trying to find someone who wants them is usually just a waste of your lifetime. It takes way too much time and energy, and as you said, most want too much in return to be remotely fair.

Valve still refuses to implement a low-level currency for individual item trades.

*sigh*

shira

You can't do this anymore. People figured out you could delete the free Chinese Bloodstone and get mythicals - because evertime you logged in again it gave you another Chinese Bloodstone.

You can't do this anymore. People figured out you could delete the free Chinese Bloodstone and get mythicals - because evertime you logged in again it gave you another Chinese Bloodstone.

Probably just a hotfix until Valve get in after the weekend and fix it.

Dreavus

I've actually had decent luck on dota-trade, but only after a little while. At first I was in your exact situation (see my post in the trade thread). All you need to do is create a "wishlist", put your stuff up for trade, then look for matches under "trades".

I've found most people will trade 1:1 if it's something on their wishlist, even if it's a bit older.

Granted, I was trading mostly uncommons (11 Curses set minus the sword and Bramble Lord minus the spear), so the rare market might be different.

Also, be wary of people who "won't trade the whole set". Usually it's annoying as fuck because they pop up in your trade matches a lot of the time.

The whole thing does take time though, usually I'll leave a message for someone then check back the next day or later on in the day to see if they've come on. I'm sure there are better uses for your time, but I found the whole thing to be kind of fun for a while!

TF2 scrap metal is the low level currency of the Steam community. I think they should add a similar type of thing for Dota 2 as well though.
We're it so simple.

That means implementing a crafting system in a game that already has about 3x the items TF2 has in 1/4 the time. To show-horn something like that in now might be very difficult. Especially considering how slowly development has gone. Also consider that in TF2, there are very few direct recipes for cosmetic items, and having so few cosmetic items in general makes metal a better economic proposition. With so many cosmetic items in Dota2, the inherent value of any base currency would be incredibly low unless done in ways that focus on Rare and higher rarities. Lastly (for now), I think they learned from TF2 that creating a separation between store bought and drops won't be good for Dota, as they want people to buy sets in this game. I think it could be really interesting if they take on such a project...but I can't even imagine them considering such a system until their other longstanding Dota stuff is complete (all the missing heroes, the long list of bugs, etc).

i was banned for like 2/3 months i dont remember but anyway i got addicted to dota during that time

please help
We can offer no help for that ailment here; only a welcome to the club. Just put fam on your friends list and we can kick much ass together.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'd wager Valve will probably do something similar to CSGO where you combine 10 of one rarity to get a higher one.

Sure, unless you're playing in public matches while doing it. Then you're letting 4 people down every game. :)

I'm just playing the bot matches while I try to get a grasp on it, tried one match vs humans when I'd completed the relevant stage in the Tutorial, but quickly learned that I'm in no way ready for it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom