• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low Tier
Not easily superior, but one on one I'd say Weaver has the advantage. However the guy playing Weaver is known as one of the best solo middle players in the competitive scene, so its not surprising he was doing so well.

wait is merlini back in the comp scene wow its about time :)

shira

who is the eu-er?

Ange.jpg

I hope he paid Anuxi. That qop set was really top notch. Oh well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have been toying around the idea of trying to host a small open tournament for the Americas, and want to know what you guys think (And likely get laughed at).

For the tournament itself, I was thinking to split it up to three parts, a qualifier round to get 8 teams, a round robin league with the 8 qualified teams and 4 invited teams, and a final cup with 8 teams. The qualifier would be single elimination best of 1s, which could be done over a weekend. The round robin league would have a total of 12 teams, the 8 qualified and the 4 invited, making for a total of 66 games, and could be done over the course of 3 to 4 weeks. After this, take the 8 highest scoring teams, and put them in a cup. To make the league matter a bit more, I was thinking to have the cup be a 8 team double elimination, with the lower bracket pre-seeded with the 5-8 placing teams. Upper bracket would be Bo3s, Lower Bracket would be Bo1, Finals Bo5, and would likely take about 3 days to do it.

Something like this:
8manpreseededbracket.jpg

But that doesn't say anything about organizing the event. A number of things would need to come together, these are just the first things that come to mind.

1) It does sort of need a prize pool. I can likely come up with about $500, but I feel that it would be a tad low to pull in some of the better American B teams. Maybe something like a Kickstarter could work, but I'm just not sure
2) It would need some sort of website set up, which I really have no experience on. Though looking at most websites for these kinds of things, I don't think the standards are very high in the community.
3) The League/Cup would need casters, and I am sure there is some stuff that would also need to be set up on twitch.
4) I don't think I could get away with running everything by myself, I would need some help.
5) The format calls for some invited teams, but I am a bit at a loss of who to invite. I guess this is a bit of a lesser concern though.

So, how delusional am I?

Boken

Banned
Idra started streamin Dota 2 today.

#itbegins
secret to beating idra: play PL
going pro doesnt require any extra time compared to how much most of you fiends stick into dota its about having the talent and skillset along with some luck and publicity to pick up a good team or get spotted out like i mean really most of the pro players in the na scene are old salty dogs and the new players are mostly pubstars that integrated into the system eternalenvy is the only dumbass that actually dedicated himself to dota and look how far hes gone :)

do you think i have what it takes to go pro :)

Make the finals bo3 and then if the losers bracket winner beats the winners bracket winner a second bo3 happens.

Because that's how you play a double elimination without lameass game advantages.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the tournament scene is pretty crowded roght now. Unless you start an in house league and grownit from there

In my opinion, it is crowded in Europe, and actually a bit barren in the Americas. You have MLG's tournament, The NADota Elite League, and a few Brazilian tournaments going on right now.

can the winners play evilore, moodyshuffle, and 3 other gaf admins??

I would love it if they could.

Sanic

Just uninstalled the game for the first time since getting into the beta almost two years ago.

This community is awful. Yes, I suck bigtime at the game, but I have 600 matches under my belt and I loved playing it. For months i've been dealing with some of the most hateful, abusive shit over text/voice chat and steam profile adds and now my own damn queue buddy thinks its ok to just shit on somebody else because they're having a bad game.

I needed to vent, so sorry for that. Just remember that there's somebody else on the other end of that mic before you start spouting death threats. I could only block/report/mute so much before it hit me too deep.

BraXzy

I wish there could be some other way to make abandons in the game not so fatal. I'm not in low priority yet I am still plagued with people who go AFK, or abandon and unless you get lucky and go against a dumb team, chances are, you've lost. Ugh :(

The fact that you are discussing this on a forum at 170 hours of playing makes you better than like half of the players.. really.

So many people that wont even research what happened or how mechanics works. Plus there is no way to lear this game fast, really.

Well, thanks then. I'm guessing that's a compliment? =)

I'm really trying but failing miserably a lot of the time. Trying to learn new characters and getting torn down. I guess I'm in the "Dota trenches" at this point. I've done "ok" (definitely emphasizing the quotes) as support. Mostly Shadow Shaman, Keeper, Warlock. But I realize they're fairly easy. Trying to learn some agi chars like Riki/Bounty/etc. and occasionally try some melee chars that I'm not too great at like Dark Seer/Tusk/Spectre and usually get berated for it.

I'm glad I have no shame/self esteem or I'd probably jump into a dumpster and die after playing this game. J/k ;) sorta =P. Drinking IPAs and playing this probably helps on one front (dealing with criticism) and harms on another (playing).

I don't want to be competitive level, just good enough to play pubs well enough. None of my friends are into these kinds of games enough to even try.

shira

I have been toying around the idea of trying to host a small open tournament for the Americas, and want to know what you guys think (And likely get laughed at).

For the tournament itself, I was thinking to split it up to three parts, a qualifier round to get 8 teams, a round robin league with the 8 qualified teams and 4 invited teams, and a final cup with 8 teams. The qualifier would be single elimination best of 1s, which could be done over a weekend. The round robin league would have a total of 12 teams, the 8 qualified and the 4 invited, making for a total of 66 games, and could be done over the course of 3 to 4 weeks. After this, take the 8 highest scoring teams, and put them in a cup. To make the league matter a bit more, I was thinking to have the cup be a 8 team double elimination, with the lower bracket pre-seeded with the 5-8 placing teams. Upper bracket would be Bo3s, Lower Bracket would be Bo1, Finals Bo5, and would likely take about 3 days to do it.

Something like this:
8manpreseededbracket.jpg

But that doesn't say anything about organizing the event. A number of things would need to come together, these are just the first things that come to mind.

1) It does sort of need a prize pool. I can likely come up with about $500, but I feel that it would be a tad low to pull in some of the better American B teams. Maybe something like a Kickstarter could work, but I'm just not sure
2) It would need some sort of website set up, which I really have no experience on. Though looking at most websites for these kinds of things, I don't think the standards are very high in the community.
3) The League/Cup would need casters, and I am sure there is some stuff that would also need to be set up on twitch.
4) I don't think I could get away with running everything by myself, I would need some help.
5) The format calls for some invited teams, but I am a bit at a loss of who to invite. I guess this is a bit of a lesser concern though.

So, how delusional am I?

Paging EviLore

Kreunt

Banned
just experienced the most ragey player EVER.
he rage quit about 12 minutes into the match, spent about half of that time literally screaming into his mic, our team wasn't even doing too badly.
he just started raging after he failed a gank bottom because he stood in the middle of a witch doctor/axe combo while trying to kill them.

Anteo

I'm really trying but failing miserably a lot of the time. Trying to learn new characters and getting torn down. I guess I'm in the "Dota trenches" at this point. I've done "ok" (definitely emphasizing the quotes) as support. Mostly Shadow Shaman, Keeper, Warlock. But I realize they're fairly easy. Trying to learn some agi chars like Riki/Bounty/etc. and occasionally try some melee chars that I'm not too great at like Dark Seer/Tusk/Spectre and usually get berated for it.

I'm glad I have no shame/self esteem or I'd probably jump into a dumpster and die after playing this game. J/k ;) sorta =P. Drinking IPAs and playing this probably helps on one front (dealing with criticism) and harms on another (playing).

I don't want to be competitive level, just good enough to play pubs well enough. None of my friends are into these kinds of games enough to even try.

I've been playing dota in pubs like 4 years, it really takes a long time to learn things, since the game and the metagame evolve alot you will find yourself learning thing all the time. Dont worry about the comunity, it gets better you wont care after a while.

Some pointers
- The most important thing for whatever mode you play is, try to pick heroes/item builds that counter whatever your enemy has, and complement whatever your team has. Check your enemies for items/wards/gem as much as you can. Try to predict what they are going for so they dont surprise you in fights, so if you see someone with a Ogre club, ask yourself if they are going for BKB and keep an eye on them. If they do get a bkb, try to bait them into activating them to waste one charge (the duration of bkb gets lower every time you use it, going from 10 secs of magic inmunity to 4 at minimun)

- About warding, if the enemy deward one of your wards, try to put it in a different position, so they have to guess again to deward. For example instead of warding the bot rune area in one of the cliffs, put ward on the ramp at the left side of roshan.

- Remember that some heroes are stronger at different stages of the game, so Phantom Lancer is weak early, Shadow Shaman is strong early and Queen of Pain is strong on the mid game. This may vary depending on the kills and farm they get. Keep this in mind to know who to hunt at anytime of the game, taking out one hero makes it harder for the enemy to defend, even if it was one support.

- Suports become harder to play the higher your level is, as you need to focus in being effective with little to no farm. In lower level games you often will have time to farm a little for yourself. Whatch some pro games and check how they play their heroes, you may get some ideas for your own play (currently I'm learning to use the forest as effective as posible as a support)

- Check the minimap as often as you can and try to TP near enemy ganks to help, you may even turn it around. However you have to be carefull as you dont want to join into a fight and become another casuality giving the enemy team even more gold/exp. When laning, look at the enemy movement patern, sometimes is obvious when you are getting ganked because they suddenly run past your creeps and try to engage you. Sometimes in fights near your towers, it may be good to buyback after a death and TP back into the fight, you may turn a fight around by doing this.

- Try to practice/use animation canceling while farming, you become a harder target for skillshots. If you are facing a pudge in lane, try to move around to always have a creep between you and him, check how he moves you may notice when he gonna try a hook because he walks back a little and try to dance around to get the perfect line. Remember that cliffs and ramps block your vision, so in the mid lane if you are on the river and the enemy is near their tower, they have a positional advantage and you wont see ganks coming. Fall back a little and go to your ramp to regain full vision.

- Learn what Reliable and Unreliable gold is, and exploit this to your advantage.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm just playing the bot matches while I try to get a grasp on it, tried one match vs humans when I'd completed the relevant stage in the Tutorial, but quickly learned that I'm in no way ready for it :p

It's rough. In the few months since I've started playing I've been playing with more players that are completely new to the game and without fail I find that the thing that causes more fuck ups in actual games is just them not knowing the basic mechanics of the game and how to react to what is happening without getting flustered. Before I even got serious about playing I spent a ton of time watching the game played on streams, reading hero and item information and just learning the general theory of the game. I still found that when I got in an actual game I was 100% incapable of performing simple functions because I just wasn't used to the controls. It's good that you're practicing in bot matches for mechanical stuff like that. It's practically the one of the only functions bots serve. Getting practical, in-game practice out of them is impossible.

sixghost

I think a good way to get better is to learn a hero in each of the roles. Learn how to play a hard carry like Medusa or Void, learn how to play a mid ganker like Qop, an offlaner, a dual lane support, trilane support, etc. It's much easier to pick up a new character if you've already had some experience with a hero that plays the same role.

shira

just experienced the most ragey player EVER.
he rage quit about 12 minutes into the match, spent about half of that time literally screaming into his mic, our team wasn't even doing too badly.
he just started raging after he failed a gank bottom because he stood in the middle of a witch doctor/axe combo while trying to kill them.

That's a long time for the rage to stew. The fastest ever just happened to me a couple of days ago. A lifestealer was prepping his 2 dire creep camps by quelling blading the path to easy/hard camp. I come as axe with counter helix and straight up 1v1 him before the horn. I kill him easily he calls all of his team f-bombs and abandons.

fuck sb post #123441
Shutting him down is easy. Just interrupt the charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom