• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a question regarding Veno. I really like playing him a certain way and I just wanted to see what others though as being the best use for him.

I normally max out Gale as quickly as possibly, put a point in Sting early (and max it after Ward is maxed), max Ward after Gale is maxed and Nova whenever it is available. I've read that a lot of people don't think Ward's are that useful but I love them for their utility value early game. I.e. Constantly harassing an enemy hero, spamming them when pushing a tower plus also using them to enhance vision.

Would this be considered a poor use of Veno? I.e. Should I be putting more points into Sting earlier?

Low Tier
veno i usually go 1 2 3 3 3 4 3 2 2 2 4 etc because wards are really strong gale is honestly only there for the supreme slow and sting does alot of dmg :)

Wunder

veno i usually go 1 2 3 3 3 4 3 2 2 2 4 etc because wards are really strong gale is honestly only there for the supreme slow and sting does alot of dmg :)

ya what 109 said, you don't have the mana to support casting gale whenever you want, and the slow is the main thing, which is what makes Venomancer one of the stronger supports at level 1, especially for a duo lane wombo. Sometimes you can max sting over wards if you're doing a lot of right-click and go like shadowblade so you are auto-attacking faster and more often.

shira

If I'm support I can barely ever afford arcane boots. I skip the ult until 10-11

Shinypogs

Found some people to play bot matches with while I try out new heroes. Randomed Puck last game and he was super fun. He definitely seems like I need more minimap awareness to play him properly though so I can be where I need to on time. Not that I don't need more awareness in general :(

NBtoaster

I can't be bothered to play anything other than All Random these days. All pick is either too much tryharding or huskar/sb game ruiners.

ya what 109 said, you don't have the mana to support casting gale whenever you want, and the slow is the main thing, which is what makes Venomancer one of the stronger supports at level 1, especially for a duo lane wombo. Sometimes you can max sting over wards if you're doing a lot of right-click and go like shadowblade so you are auto-attacking faster and more often.

Sweet thanks for the help. Am going to try running Veno with maxing Sting before Gale.

Disruptor is such an amazing support. I feel like he has a lot of untapped potential in competitive play..his early game lane presence is unreal.

Boken

Banned
how da fuk do you play abbaddon support

its the most boring laning shit ever@@@

i heal people. shield them if they are stunned/slowed. yay.

shout out to 109 to being super nice he sounded like he really liked league of legends too :)

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

How so? He's one of the most impactful supports in the game. The ability to keep your entire team alive while at the same time not worrying about keeping yourself alive too much because of your ulti (which is a problem for most supports). Also if you play him as a 3-4 and get some farm while racking up the assists he becomes quite formidable in his own right.

I guess for laning he doesn't have much in the way of harass or zoning out compared to a ranged support, and yeah that's just a problem with melee supports in general. So I can see how you find that boring if you like being active and zoning out the enemy laners.

It's rough. In the few months since I've started playing I've been playing with more players that are completely new to the game and without fail I find that the thing that causes more fuck ups in actual games is just them not knowing the basic mechanics of the game and how to react to what is happening without getting flustered. Before I even got serious about playing I spent a ton of time watching the game played on streams, reading hero and item information and just learning the general theory of the game. I still found that when I got in an actual game I was 100% incapable of performing simple functions because I just wasn't used to the controls. It's good that you're practicing in bot matches for mechanical stuff like that. It's practically the one of the only functions bots serve. Getting practical, in-game practice out of them is impossible.

Yeah, one thing that is just killing me time and time again is that second it takes me to look at the keyboard, because otherwise I keep pressing th wrong key and wasting my mana by using the wrong ability :p

Can you recommend a good tutorial series? I watched about 12 TotalBiscuit videos but he doesn't rally go into the mechanics, and the tournament play I watched is too advanced and fast-paced for me to keep up with what people are doing and why

I'm starting to get the hang of early-match harassment and farming, but I can never seem to make the final step between getting an opponent from half-health to death, I either play it too safe and get ganked while waiting for the oppurtunity, or I go too gung-ho and get caught in the crossfire between enemy creeps/towers/hero

Pretty much all of my kills are coming in the late game barrack assaults, when the AI breaks a bit and the enemy just stand still while you wail on them :p

Aaron

Don't worry about getting kills. Focus on pushing your lane, getting last hits, maybe a few denies if you feel up to it. Work with your team, pressure their towers, and support your teammates in taking down the other team. Ganking is a more advanced talent that you'll transition to naturally when you know the overall game better.

Or play Zeus, and kill steal like a bitch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

MAN MODE [This game was stupid]
N3Bolxq.png

fuck sb post #123441
Look man I had like 8 games of horrible SD matches.
I just wanted to go out on a win in the trenches.

4duW0G4.png

Yeah, one thing that is just killing me time and time again is that second it takes me to look at the keyboard, because otherwise I keep pressing th wrong key and wasting my mana by using the wrong ability :p

Can you recommend a good tutorial series?

I'm starting to get the hang of early-match harassment and farming, but I can never seem to make the final step between getting an opponent from half-health to death, I either play it too safe and get ganked while waiting for the oppurtunity, or I go too gung-ho and get caught in the crossfire between enemy creeps/towers/hero
If you aren't familiar with the controls enough yet, focus on that being natural first. That should come pretty quickly, and at the same time work on getting last hits and denies.

Learning initiation and how to kill is a luxery, usually you need a nuking hero, someone that can chase or slow, or someone else with you. Late game items can play this role for you.

Nymerio

What's the reason for not putting points into Chaos Knight's Phantasm and Crit until level 10? I can understand crit, but Phantasm? Isn't that really good? Triple damage right?

Randdalf

What's the reason for not putting points into Chaos Knight's Phantasm and Crit until level 10? I can understand crit, but Phantasm? Isn't that really good? Triple damage right?

The number of illusions scales (1/2/3) and it costs a fair bit of mana, so Chaos Knight would be much better off putting it into his other skills which are very powerful early game.

JustinBB7

It's just 1 illusion at level 6, and it costs a lot of mana, I'd rather max out my first 2 skills before even thinking about my ult. Sometimes I even go 4-4-4 before I even skill my ult.

(And CK is one of my best heroes)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Can you recommend a good tutorial series? I watched about 12 TotalBiscuit videos but he doesn't rally go into the mechanics, and the tournament play I watched is too advanced and fast-paced for me to keep up with what people are doing and why

Pretty much all of my kills are coming in the late game barrack assaults, when the AI breaks a bit and the enemy just stand still while you wail on them :p

Watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWPOZNFdKVXsVqsMxlOa03GyXuiCTzhkR

Nymerio

The number of illusions scales (1/2/3) and it costs a fair bit of mana, so Chaos Knight would be much better off putting it into his other skills which are very powerful early game.

It's just 1 illusion at level 6, and it costs a lot of mana, I'd rather max out my first 2 skills before even thinking about my ult. Sometimes I even go 4-4-4 before I even skill my ult.

Aaaah, thanks didn't even think about that.

Nirvana

Any Australian Gaffers on here? Looking for people to queue with, since solo queuing can be a fairly soul destroying experience. Got about 250 wins at about 51% win rate if that's of any importance.

Meteorain

I think a good way to get better is to learn a hero in each of the roles. Learn how to play a hard carry like Medusa or Void, learn how to play a mid ganker like Qop, an offlaner, a dual lane support, trilane support, etc. It's much easier to pick up a new character if you've already had some experience with a hero that plays the same role.

I really wouldn't suggest learning this hero as a hard carry. More often than not does not get strong enough in a quick enough time to be of any use. Spectre, Anti-mage, Chaos Knight, Alchemist are much better alternatives.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Hey, how do you build Mirana? I know Phase/Aquila/big item of some sort seems to be her core item build.

Phase and Drums are my only real core on her, everything besides that just depends. Manta or Desolator work quite nicely. Diffusal's an option. I always grab a bottle or Aquila early on too. It's all kind of w/e though. Mirana's actually really flexible.

She's totally become my favorite hero as of late, by the way. Roam around and chuck arrows all day, erryday.

ElyrionX

Any Australian Gaffers on here? Looking for people to queue with, since solo queuing can be a fairly soul destroying experience. Got about 250 wins at about 51% win rate if that's of any importance.

Singapore here. If you don't mind playing on SE Asian servers, add me, ElyrionX is my SteamID.

shira

shout out to 109 to being super nice he sounded like he really liked league of legends too :)

How come they don't pick teemo, I can't post Nigri pics if they don't pic teemo

ElyrionX

What's your typical item build like? Treads, Drums, Armlet, BKB, Heart, Manta?

I see Armlet being bought a lot on him but I'm not sure I understand why. That life drain seems very hard to manage on him.

I see Armlet being bought a lot on him but I'm not sure I understand why. That life drain seems very hard to manage on him.

Activate Armlet.

Hit Phantasm.

Toggle Armlet off.

You have 24 seconds of Armlet-boosted illusions doing 100% base damage and whose health doesn't get drained.

TommyT

Sigh... in a game where fortunately everyone is communicating with voice chat. Another person and myself are support, I say I'll buy wards and ask if the other will buy chicken. "Sure thing" she says. Immediately someone comes back with "Since when do girls play DotA? I thought they just played LoL!" followed by the other two chiming in. Really? She didn't talk again all game; but was listening to me so we could at least coordinate things easier. Thanks MOBA community.

Sigh... in a game where fortunately everyone is communicating with voice chat. Another person and myself are support, I say I'll buy wards and ask if the other will buy chicken. "Sure thing" she says. Immediately someone comes back with "Since when do girls play DotA? I thought they just played LoL!" followed by the other two chiming in. Really? She didn't talk again all game; but was listening to me so we could at least coordinate things easier. Thanks 12 year olds.

fixed

Anteo

Sigh... in a game where fortunately everyone is communicating with voice chat. Another person and myself are support, I say I'll buy wards and ask if the other will buy chicken. "Sure thing" she says. Immediately someone comes back with "Since when do girls play DotA? I thought they just played LoL!" followed by the other two chiming in. Really? She didn't talk again all game; but was listening to me so we could at least coordinate things easier. Thanks MOBA community.

Oh man I hate that. Whenever I hear a girl in a online game I'm like "please no one point out she is a girl and talk stupid shit"

Razzer

So I just lost a game as dazzle, and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I was laning top as dire with an ursa and we ended up being against a weaver Luna lane. I didn't check till a couple minutes in but from what I could tell they both had higher damage than us so I thought just play it safe, keep ursa topped up with health cus I know he will get harassed and pull if I can. But as soon as we get there weaver starts auto attacking the shit out of ursa. And instead of backing off he goes full YOLO on me and charges in. Whilst I misplayed harder than he did in the following skirmish, I'm right in thinking that we should never have commited against a stun and shukuchi right? The end result was that we both died and weaver got two kills.

As the match went on weaver killed me again twice and soon our lane was completely lost, he was fed and I was playing awful compared to usual. So how should I be playing when I don't get boots till like 15 mins or something and I die in 4 hits? I tried to do what I've read to do and ward our side of the river so our cores can farm, (no one else got a single support item btw, I was getting courier and flying, all the wards and sentries AND dust for weaver whilst everyone complained I wasn't supporting them) as well as stick near towers and keep an eye on my allies to help if needed. But the other team just made it impossible to go anywhere so I was stuck waiting around for fights which I melted instantly in. So I guess my second question is how to play from behind as a squishy support?

Lastly, in one fight I shallow graved ursa and almost saved him (and did allow him to get a kill as well) but clock complained that I should have done it for him so who is my priority here?

Match ID is 311968225

JustinBB7

Activate Armlet.

Hit Phantasm.

Toggle Armlet off.

You have 24 seconds of Armlet-boosted illusions doing 100% base damage and whose health doesn't get drained.

This is the reason you buy armlet on him yea.

I usually always go for treads/drums. Then either go armlet/AC or heart. Also really like heavens halberd on him, so if I don't got armlet I go that route and see what else is handy.

Items always depend on the enemy teams lineup really. I was losing a game as CK and wasn't gonna get my armlet any time soon. So I went for the halberd because their team had some big right clickers.

Haunted

So I just lost a game as dazzle, and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I was laning top as dire with an ursa and we ended up being against a weaver Luna lane. I didn't check till a couple minutes in but from what I could tell they both had higher damage than us so I thought just play it safe, keep ursa topped up with health cus I know he will get harassed and pull if I can. But as soon as we get there weaver starts auto attacking the shit out of ursa. And instead of backing off he goes full YOLO on me and charges in. Whilst I misplayed harder than he did in the following skirmish, I'm right in thinking that we should never have commited against a stun and shukuchi right? The end result was that we both died and weaver got two kills.

As the match went on weaver killed me again twice and soon our lane was completely lost, he was fed and I was playing awful compared to usual. So how should I be playing when I don't get boots till like 15 mins or something and I die in 4 hits? I tried to do what I've read to do and ward our side of the river so our cores can farm, (no one else got a single support item btw, I was getting courier and flying, all the wards and sentries AND dust for weaver whilst everyone complained I wasn't supporting them) as well as stick near towers and keep an eye on my allies to help if needed. But the other team just made it impossible to go anywhere so I was stuck waiting around for fights which I melted instantly in. So I guess my second question is how to play from behind as a squishy support?

Lastly, in one fight I shallow graved ursa and almost saved him (and did allow him to get a kill as well) but clock complained that I should have done it for him so who is my priority here?

I'll look for the match ID now.
For teamfights, I think squishy supports need really safe positioning. Stay as far back and out of the fight as possible while spamming your spells (particularly your long range spells, weave at the beginning of the fight and shadow wave at every opportunity). Ursa should usually be a higher priority than Clock, especially if you did end up helping him pick up another kill, but it also always depends on the farm and the situation.

I also have trouble to find the right place to be in games where we are behind. Generally, I try not to stray too far from other heroes, making sure I don't get caught out. Sapping some experience in lane or doing the small camps, TP in inventory for when teamfights break out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom