• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help with late game item decisions. I'm perfectly able to decide what I should build into until around the 45 min mark, but when games get really long and the list of items I can get gets longer I don't know how to decide what to go for. These 2 games are the perfect example:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/320497946
I played Lina support. I think I made the right decision with most of the items, but I was really iffy on getting the refresher, and just got it because I liked the idea of 2500 burst damage. What should I have gotten instead?

http://dotabuff.com/matches/317056303
Anti-Mage. Again, I'm pretty sure those are the items I should get, but I also had a ton of gold I didn't know what to do with besides buyback. Should I have gotten rid of the Battle Fury for an Abyssal or something? Also, when six-slotted, should I get the aegis or should I leave it for someone else? I decided to let someone else take it.

It isn't as intimidating as Captain's mode because of the limited pool of heroes, and you can ban out any heroes you don't like playing against. Also, there's some improvisation needed because of the limited pool, and that's a lot of fun as well.

Orchid, or a veil on lina I suppose. Necro 3 if you wanna have fun! Refresher is pretty fun too though...

Sell the battlefury unless you still want to push and you're done farming. Abyssal is always awesome, especially when you hit fast.

I am a fan of captains mode, the issue is when you play against stacks you can see how lop sided the skills are. The issue i have is when you have people on your team that you can tell are new when you are going up against a very good spectre trilane and he has radiance by 15 minutes and hasn't missed one last hit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Damn, I bet rares on fntic thinking it would be a safe bet, and now they look like they are going to lose due to their silly draft. They didn't even pick Meepo :/

Hopefully Quantic can pull though so I break even in rares, but empire had been on a roll.

At least my uncommons won are going to be pretty good, since I just bet against VP in both their games, even if they win vs Rox I will still be ahead.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Official Navi mouse:
7qLaM1Y.jpg

Damn, I bet rares on fntic thinking it would be a safe bet, and now they look like they are going to lose due to their silly draft. They didn't even pick Meepo :/

Hopefully Quantic can pull though so I break even in rares, but empire had been on a roll.

At least my uncommons won are going to be pretty good, since I just bet against VP in both their games, even if they win vs Rox I will still be ahead.

Fnatic has been pretty down lately. Shame as I like the team.

KingKong

who do you guys think is the best mega-kill announcer? They're all like 40 cents on the market but I can't decide. I'm kind of leaning towards Storm Spirit

KingKong

Hmm maybe I'll pick up a couple. I dont have any interest in non-megakill announcers though, I've tried a couple and I dont think any are as good as the default, even the bastion guy

I've been using Flax since it came out. Initially it kind of annoyed me, but I've grown to like it. The mega kills are pretty awesome, especially when he pulls out the harmonica and xylophone, lol.

I kinda like the Nature's Prophet mega-kill. May pick that one up. Surprisingly Tusk announcer is like $1.30 even though it's still on the store for $10.

Got the Deepest Depths HUD the other day though. Still the best one I think.

I've been using Flax since it came out. Initially it kind of annoyed me, but I've grown to like it. The mega kills are pretty awesome, especially when he pulls out the harmonica and xylophone, lol.

It took a few months but just recently I got sick of the harmonica, it literally hurt my ears. I'm glad he's adding more lines though, I might switch back.

JustinBB7

I played two all random games yesterday. Ended up with Chen followed by Meepo.

Turns out I won both. I'm definitely mid tier but I think I did alright, could someone who has time tell me how I could've done better?

Chen
http://dotabuff.com/matches/320657496

Meepo
http://dotabuff.com/matches/320670405

I was almost completely done building a Skadi on Meepo to replace the quelling blade, never got the time to pick it up.

Those Meepo items aren't that good besides the aghs. If you can do it blink dagger is great. But you need some health, some people get mek but I never really get that myself. I usually go poor man shield, tranquil boots, then build aghs and disassemble my tranq boots and make vlads from those. So all my meepo's will have lifesteal/armor for very cheap.

Then I usually go heart. Some people just stack reavers though. Eblade is also super fun on him.

Chen items are fine, some people don't get aghs but I personally like it.

Dahbomb

Ever since this patch hit my performance on my laptop has took a nose dive. There are constant frame skips and weird lag during game play even input drops. I lost both games yesterday because of this, couldn't last hit properly and couldn't cast spells on time.

Is this a known issue? My game was fine before the patch... I mean it wasn't like super 120FPS but it was at least playable.

And before anyone says this might be my connection, I tried this in offline mode against bots so this is definitely a performance related with the latest patch.

The thing I didn't consider about not being able to see normal, high, and very high, is that it's going to prevent what data some of the statisticians can collect. I quite like the Dotametrics posts for instance and a lot of his data usually only pulled from Very High, as it's when the game is played the most standard and "correctly".

New dotametric by the way, hero winrates by game duration.

Shocking news: Carries do better in the late game.

Ever since this patch hit my performance on my laptop has took a nose dive. There are constant frame skips and weird lag during game play even input drops. I lost both games yesterday because of this, couldn't last hit properly and couldn't cast spells on time.

Is this a known issue? My game was fine before the patch... I mean it wasn't like super 120FPS but it was at least playable.

And before anyone says this might be my connection, I tried this in offline mode against bots so this is definitely a performance related with the latest patch.

They changed the way data is streamed to the client from the hard drive it looks like, it's probably a problem with that. It's really obvious when I open up the store, the hero gird or a hero's skills for the first time and all the pictures stream in.

Sliver

I need to figure out how to properly do the blink trick with Meepo, where you blink just as all the other meepos are poofing to him for a ton of burst damage.

Anyone have any tips?

Those Meepo items aren't that good besides the aghs. If you can do it blink dagger is great. But you need some health, some people get mek but I never really get that myself. I usually go poor man shield, tranquil boots, then build aghs and disassemble my tranq boots and make vlads from those. So all my meepo's will have lifesteal/armor for very cheap.

Then I usually go heart. Some people just stack reavers though. Eblade is also super fun on him.

Chen items are fine, some people don't get aghs but I personally like it.

I wouldve gotten vlads instead of drum but lycan already had one.

Eth was coming after skadi.

I did completely forget about blink though.

Part of the reason I dislike icefraud is how long it takes for him to push out changes. It's been sb non stop every single ap game for like the last 3 months, it's really getting to me.

Not seen much talk about the GlaDOS announcer, but I've been digging that.

'Your bottom tower is looking fantastic, by the way. Very flame-covered.'

I had a cool moment where she said
"Here's a recap: A goblin is punching a ghost... thing?"

What was weird was Timbersaw was harassing Drow at the time. Now Drow's not really a ghost, but the timing of it was perfect.

sixghost

I need to figure out how to properly do the blink trick with Meepo, where you blink just as all the other meepos are poofing to him for a ton of burst damage.

Anyone have any tips?

Practice it a lot. You just need to develop the muscle memory of tabbing between each Meepo. You can try turning on smart cast so that you don't need to left click between tabs.

If you're bored, just open up notepad or something and spam 2w tab w tab w tab w tab 1q.
Make sure you have a control group with all the secondary meepos. Also dont forget to poof the first meepo after you net. Seeing as how you have a Flash avatar, I'm sure you can pull it off.

Part of the reason I dislike icefraud is how long it takes for him to push out changes. It's been sb non stop every single ap game for like the last 3 months, it's really getting to me.

Look, I can tell you right now that SB is barely going to get touched in 6.79. He's not a OP comp pick and Icerfog balances around comp.

sounds like the problem is on your end

The phrasing I made makes it sound like i dislike icefraud. It is love/hate.

Not all changes are made with consideration to comp, but tournament balance is what drives most of the changes. Centaur sat out of CM for the longest time in dota 2 but was nerfed like a week or two after he was patched in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom