• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

God, I love Timbersaw so much.
Such a fun hero to play, can do insane amounts damage if you know how to combine all of his skills.

Even if you're not having the best lane, if you get the Bloodstone in a reasonable time you just go clean up any jungle camps or the lanes in a matter of seconds, and can do so much damage in a team fight without ever running out of mana.

I usually go Bloodstone > Heart because it gives me so much HP and I'm seriously close to invincible. It takes so much to bring you down.

I just had a game where I was offlane against an Axe and a Windrunner, had a terrible lane with like 10 last hits at 10 minutes and for some reason couldn't work well my abilities, but I got 2 kills and was having a better time after that, even tho I got my Bloodstone really late at like 30 minutes

At one point I think I pushed the bot lane on my own for like 5 minutes, I had no idea what the rest of the team was doing, only company was when 2 teammates came there and both died I think. I think like 4 of their team went on me at least a couple of times but weren't even close to bringing me down.

Also, easily the best voice acting and quotes in Dota 2.

Tournament Licenses

Steam makes it easy and affordable to run Valve game tournaments around the world. All you need to do is read the instructions below and then apply for a licence. After we review the details of your application, we'll guide you through the simple next steps of the process including acquiring temporary Steam accounts.

TommyT

Holy shit I finally got Twitch TV to be watchable (in resolutions higher than 360p). That trick someone posted on Reddit has the right idea (blocking IPs that are routed to Twitch, which ISPs commonly throttle bandwith on), but being in Japan, the IPs I get are different.

Pretty simple fix: go to Resource Monitor, find the Flashplayer.exe file, and block the IP address that it's connecting to. I was getting 40 kb/s bandwith through Flashplayer pre-IP block, post-block 350+ depending on the stream.

Yussssssssss

I don't read reddit, can you link it so I can check it out later?

got a link for that? I could use some twitch tweaking

Did we get an answer to this? Lots of things that can be blocked... curious to know which one(s) and why:

jbaymqE.png

Kard8p3

Ugh, bad experience today that makes me not even want to play Dota.

My mouse is breaking, so I decided to stop at GS today and ask if they had anything gaming mice/knew of anyone who did, guy straight up said, "Yeah, we have a gaming mouse, one sec." Was a razer nostromos. I thought it was just a huge ass mouse with extra buttons, get it home, open it up and I find it's just a gimped left side of the keyboard, no way I can play my favorite hero Chen with this.. Worst of all I don't think the guy gave me a receipt, I looked all over my room for it :/

Maybe I can salvage this and use it for something else.. Maybe..

:(

Hylian7

So I noticed on this week's Fails of the Week in the first clip, a Faceless Void missed under his Chronosphere. I remember watching a video that illustrated that he can't miss under a Chronosphere. In this play, he had Drunken Haze on him, the Centaur he hit didn't have evasion. Is this working correctly? Does this mean Drunken Haze can disable MKB's True Strike? How exactly does the miss prevention under Chronosphere work anyway, is it True Strike or just disabling evasion?

The little things in doto really make it unique.

On another note, I watched Alan's video of the old 27 spell Invoker. First off, why does this guy seem to get ignored in the Dota community? His videos are pretty good, especially the Dota history ones. Second, I never realized why the old Invoker was so impractical, it was a combination of the ridiculous amount of spells, and that there was only one level of Invoke that had a 12 second cooldown, and didn't have an Aghanim's Scepter upgrade. There was no second invoked spell slot, and many of the spells were either useless or extremely overpowered. There was one that creates an illusion of you that cannot move or attack. There was no real point to it since everyone would know that a real hero would not stand still and not defend himself. There was a spell that was a passive and would basically unleash a Dragon Knight Breathe Fire toward your attacker on EACH attack. It didn't matter if it was a creep or hero or whatever. The main issue was the fact that you could only get two spells off in a typical teamfight due to that cooldown on Invoke. Like today's Invoker, you were supposed to specialize with your Q/W/E points, and wouldn't be using all 27 spells all game, but the percentage of spells you would actually use is so ridiculously low. On today's Invoker you are likely to use 50% of the spells for most of the game, and none of them are useless.

I really need to learn Invoker. He is the only hero I cannot play decently. Yes, that means my Meepo and Chen are better than my Invoker. I'm just uncomfortable with the skill builds, since there are a million ways you can do it. On top of that I usually run into the situations where I end up only using the same 2 or 3 spells and my team says "Why aren't you using X?!" and I facepalm and realize I didn't think about using said spell.

GorillaJu

Yeah I'm on a different time zone from you guys so I wasn't available to elaborate on the Twitch TV thing.

I'm a layman so can only explain how I understand it, but if I have it correctly, Twitch and ISPs have somewhat of a stand off situation where neither is willing to upgrade their servers to allow more users and more bandwidth in video streaming. Thus, ISPs have been throttling the bandwidth on the IP addresses used to route bandwidth from Twitch TV (other services as well, like YouTube) to prevent crashes or congestion on the servers.

These IPs very per region, but there's a common range of them that Time Warner and other major ISPs have been throttling. If you block these IPs, it forces it to route through another IP address that your ISP most likely isn't throttling.

Connect to a stream, then open up your Resource monitor, go to the network tab, and look at the bandwidth going through the Flash Player executable. If it seems curiously low (like I said, mine was capping at 40 kb/sec), then there's a good chance that that IP is being throttled. You can block the remote IP addresses by creating a new inbound rule in your network adapter settings. When I blocked the IP that I was connecting to, my bandwidth went from 40 kb/sec to 350-ish, and my stream quality went from unwatchable to butter smooth, even on 1080p resolution.

The common range of IPs, and visual instructions can be found in the Reddit thread. http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...fter_2_years_of_unwatchable_twitch_streams_i/

Oh apparently if Centaur activates ult while (allied) Bane is channeling Fiend's Grip it will cancel the spell. Wonder if that works on other channels like WD or CM ult.

Ketch

yep, that pretty much nails it. thanks boken.

went 63/9 in a bot match as earth shaker on hard difficulty. I thought that was funny.

Anteo

So I noticed on this week's Fails of the Week in the first clip, a Faceless Void missed under his Chronosphere. I remember watching a video that illustrated that he can't miss under a Chronosphere. In this play, he had Drunken Haze on him, the Centaur he hit didn't have evasion. Is this working correctly? Does this mean Drunken Haze can disable MKB's True Strike? How exactly does the miss prevention under Chronosphere work anyway, is it True Strike or just disabling evasion?

Chronosphere disables paused hero evasion but whatever miss chance you have on your hero will still work (it should stop any non aura and non w3c triggered spell iirc). I believe mkb should work regardless of drunken haze.

Aaron

Yeah, last hitting in this is unbelievably hard, and i'm not catching on well to character choice and builds.
Follow the top rated guides. They're pretty good. If you don't want to worry about last hitting, play a support. Alternatively, play a hero who can last hit easily, like drow or sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom