• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

F!ReW!Re

WTF, loaded up dota and appearantly this dropped for me yesterday??

Genuine-Flowering-Treants.jpg

Didn't know these things dropped?

elyetis

I'm almost positive Abaddon was our last single hero release.

Going forward I think heroes will come in threes or fours, so everyone adjusts at the same time and it isn't a rollercoaster of balance.

I see the next one being Legion Commander, Ember Spirit and Techies. Probably in a month or two.
Stop making me think I might have techies this year, if it doesn't happen the disapointment will be too big. > <"

But yeah a guess multi hero release could be an explanation, even if a disapointing one.

And why no one say windrunner for good last hit ?

Stop making me think I might have techies this year, if it doesn't happen the disapointment will be too big. > <"

But yeah a guess multi hero release could be an explanation, even if a disapointing one.

And why no one say windrunner for good last hit ?

I only mention them because they have some bare bones scripting done for their abilities, which is more than Ember Spirit has for his abilities (he only has a texture at this point).

elyetis

I only mention them because they have some bare bones scripting done for their abilities, which is more than Ember Spirit has for his abilities (he only has a texture at this point).
I do think it's likely they are the next 3 hero ( and really hope so ), but my pessimism is currently only putting LC as a likely 2013 release.

BraXzy

I decided to have a look at HoN since I keep hearing about it and from my initial impressions, knowing nothing about it, it just looks like an ugly dota. The heroes seem to have the same abilities, there was a big ugly guy who could hook, there was a samurai looking guy who span round with his swords. I mean every hero looked like a replica of DoTa. What's up with that?

Again, that's just my first impressions. I don't know anything about the game beyond that :L

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TF2 big updates are more like once every 2/3 months. We got Halloween coming up soon and already had a minor hint for that (Haunted items in the Armory) so that will be the next one I suppose. With smaller patches in between with just bug fixes/other minor stuff.

LC doesn't really strike me as a Halloween hero so.. november/december sounds like a good bet for her.
Dota has had the haunted quality in the schema since it was added, because valve based out off of TF2's schema. So while we may get some,I really doubt it.

Demoli

I just hope we get very frequent updates, the moba genre is a very populated and competitive one, and Valve struck gold and is now in second place, but it jst cannot lay abck on its laurels or it might very well lose the advante. Delaying heroes who are basicly all done aswell as barely making any progress on other heroes for over 2 months is pathetic.

I personally wish Valve wouldn't work on other game modes like Diretide or whatever and just focus on bringing Dota 2 to parity with it's older brother.

I decided to have a look at HoN since I keep hearing about it and from my initial impressions, knowing nothing about it, it just looks like an ugly dota. The heroes seem to have the same abilities, there was a big ugly guy who could hook, there was a samurai looking guy who span round with his swords. I mean every hero looked like a replica of DoTa. What's up with that?

Again, that's just my first impressions. I don't know anything about the game beyond that :L

HoN and LoL are both unofficial sequels to DotA. HoN focused on making it close to DotA except faster and then added its own heroes and items. LoL went in a different direction and changed a couple things. It was never really trying to be a real port like HoN sort of was in the beginning.

KingKong

arent inventory filters still crashing the game? and a bunch of people have issues with their new texture streaming? there should be a patch soon to at least fix that...

G.ZZZ

Think I knew this before but forgot, what does that frame around avatar means?
nR7iI82.jpg

It mean that you have an haunted friend list.

Hello to everyone, long time dota1 player here, finally got registered to post on GAF.

My dota2 name is the same as my GAF name (with the [COPPER SCUM] tag too) if anyone want to add me for friendly games, no stress, random every game, funny flames, free to add.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I personally wish Valve wouldn't work on other game modes like Diretide or whatever and just focus on bringing Dota 2 to parity with it's older brother.

Dota is severely lacking in custom game modes that are actually different compared to its competitors.

BeesEight

I just hope we get very frequent updates, the moba genre is a very populated and competitive one, and Valve struck gold and is now in second place, but it jst cannot lay abck on its laurels or it might very well lose the advante. Delaying heroes who are basicly all done aswell as barely making any progress on other heroes for over 2 months is pathetic.

You're probably going to be disappointed then.

Unlike Riot, Valve doesn't focus on just their one game. The core team for Dota 2 will be much smaller than those that were working on it pre-release so it's going to take substantively more time for things to get done now. In a way, it's actually rather impressive that they've manage to keep enough employees interested in it to run the International.

I don't think Valve really cares about being the #1 game in the genre by competing through the same channels that Riot does.

Demoli

Unlike Riot, Valve doesn't focus on just their one game. The core team for Dota 2 will be much smaller than those that were working on it pre-release so it's going to take substantively more time for things to get done now. In a way, it's actually rather impressive that they've manage to keep enough employees interested in it to run the International.

I don't think Valve really cares about being the #1 game in the genre by competing through the same channels that Riot does.

I'm not talking strictly in competition with other mobas, but with retaining its own userbase aswell. There are nearly 10 heroes yet to be ported, reduce thet eam when those are done so that we get parity with DotA allstars. Seeing Valve handle Dota 2 right now is one of the most frustrating things, sometiems i can't help but feel other companies could have done better, certainly faster job than what Valve is doing atm.

Wok

I'm not talking strictly in competition with other mobas, but with retaining its own userbase aswell. There are nearly 10 heroes yet to be ported, reduce thet eam when those are done so that we get parity with DotA allstars. Seeing Valve handle Dota 2 right now is one of the most frustrating things, sometiems i can't help but feel other companies could have done better, certainly faster job than what Valve is doing atm.

Faster, yes, better, no.

M.D

Just had my first good Naix game, every other time I played him something went wrong... for some reason every time I play him I feel like I need stuns or disables to kill someone, cause I don't do enough damage to finish someone off without him running away, but this time we did have some and I was pretty farmed at the end and got lucky with the bashes as well

Had a team wipe near the end, and another 4 man kill at the very end, felt pretty good lol

http://dotabuff.com/matches/323469236

Do you guys think he's good on a lane? I don't like jungling for some reason

elyetis

For me ( and I really don't think I'm alone ) it's not about keeping for 10 year the pace they had, just that the slow down should happen after they get the parity done. ( which would have been done in about 7 month if not less )

BeesEight

Oh, they most certainly could do it faster.

Unfortunately, Valve's development time is one of their biggest weaknesses. Yeah, they always turn out quality, but they could certainly make an improvement in the time it takes to finish. You see it with their others franchises as well. Waiting for Meet the Pyro was pretty damn painful.

Seems like Bulba is stealing Milkman's E.T. build in the WePlay tournament against TR.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Captain's Draft is so nice. I played a couple of games with
Meeru
and they were both fairly close.

It mean that you have an haunted friend list.

Hello to everyone, long time dota1 player here, finally got registered to post on GAF.

My dota2 name is the same as my GAF name (with the [COPPER SCUM] tag too) if anyone want to add me for friendly games, no stress, random every game, funny flames, free to add.

Meeru

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It looks ugly as sin.

Also NP is a scum pick.

SELL SELL SELL.

Internets

Would be nice if they got rid of pauses, it's beyond ridiculous at how people abuse pauses. It should only be enabled for custom games, and maybe disconnects at best. The number of stupid pauses far outweigh legitimate pauses.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well guys, I come in here and bitch a lot but today... fuck. I've never had a worse morning of Dota.

All of these were Captain's Draft.

Match 1: Anti-mage
This one I take responsibility for. Had a terrible start and I fed a bit. I could certainly complain about Lich being terrible and constantly pushing the safelane, but I'm willing to take the blame. I focused really hard on farm throughout, to overcome my bad start and managed to end up okay. But we could never come back. WR and Lich both did very poorly. Bristle was really good.

Match 2: Night Stalker
I had a pretty good start, 6-1 or so. Disruptor and Dark Seer were the worst of the worst this community has to offer. Faggot this, nigger that. Disruptor thinks he's Bill Belichick and does nothing but give orders and criticize. DS d/cs, abandons, disruptor quits. Garbage game.

Match 3: Magnus
In my opinion a garbage draft. Again, not my greatest performance, but I was holding it down mid. Unfortunately Meepo was excellent and destroyed bottom lane. Warlock d/c'd constantly, every minute and a half or so. Team just gave up, so did I. Other team was really cool though and sportsmanlike about it all. Played a fun little game of hide and seek while creeps took ancient.

Match 4: Witch Doctor
Not a particularly great draft, and the captain wanted to do a Slardar-SK-WD trilane which sounded like a terrible idea to me. (Maybe I'm wrong?) Puck and SK did nothing but yell at each other all match. They're clearly friends/acquaintances who apparently hate each other. SK apparently only plays Sniper so Puck wanted him to do something else. Bottom line they were all terrible and the game was unwinnable.

I've never been so down on this game as I am now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom