• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I've sort of hit a plateau in skill for the second time and I'm not really sure how to go forward from here. The first time it happened I branched out from the dozen or so heroes I was comfortable with and after couple of weeks I saw an improvement across the board. I'm at bit of a loss on how to improve now. I guess just trying to specialize with more heroes would suffice, but the stack I usually play with has kind of solidified it roles and specifically getting the guy who plays the hard carries to not play one is a hassle.

Any suggestions on just general practice things to get better?

Artanisix

I feel like I've sort of hit a plateau in skill for the second time and I'm not really sure how to go forward from here. The first time it happened I branched out from the dozen or so heroes I was comfortable with and after couple of weeks I saw an improvement across the board. I'm at bit of a loss on how to improve now. I guess just trying to specialize with more heroes would suffice, but the stack I usually play with has kind of solidified it roles and specifically getting the guy who plays the hard carries to not play one is a hassle.

What "role" do you primarily play?

Low Tier

Practice, practice, practice. If you feel like you've comfortably expañded your hero repertoire, the ñext step would be to theñ focus on those heroes añd learñ how to actually play them, añd not just what they do. From the souñds of it, you kiñd of uñderstand what each hero does, añd cañ successfully go through the process of seeiñg a hero and assessiñg what that hero cañ do iñ that situatioñ. After that, the ñext level would be executioñ, mechañics, añd game señse.

This is the part that a lot of players are stuck oñ, añd the poiñt where most players are comfortable with their gameplay, but there's still a lot of room to grow. Keep goiñg añd you'll fiñd that those 'plateaus' were ñothing more than steps. Gotta keep climbiñg that skill ladder.

What "role" do you primarily play?

I usually end up as the solo offlaner or in certain situations I mid. I personally have a ton of success playing DK mid. I'd say I do well with virtually any Strength hero played as semi-carry.

Practice, practice, practice. If you feel like you've comfortably expañded your hero repertoire, the ñext step would be to theñ focus on those heroes añd learñ how to actually play them, añd not just what they do. From the souñds of it, you kiñd of uñderstand what each hero does, añd cañ successfully go through the process of seeiñg a hero and assessiñg what that hero cañ do iñ that situatioñ. After that, the ñext level would be executioñ, mechañics, añd game señse.

This is the part that a lot of players are stuck oñ, añd the poiñt where most players are comfortable with their gameplay, but there's still a lot of room to grow. Keep goiñg añd you'll fiñd that those 'plateaus' were ñothing more than steps. Gotta keep climbiñg that skill ladder.

My fingers fumble a lot with certain keystrokes in regards to execution. I rarely queue spells and I'm ashamed to admit last week I was playing tide and ravaged a wave of creeps thinking I hit the anchor smash key. That's only happened once, but still it never should. I also on occasion find myself clicking on items instead of using the hotkey. That's far less common than in the past, but it happens. I'm just far too used to doing that from other games.

ksan

My fingers fumble a lot with certain keystrokes in regards to execution. I rarely queue spells and I'm ashamed to admit last week I was playing tide and ravaged a wave of creeps thinking I hit the anchor smash key. That's only happened once, but still it never really should. I also on occasion find myself clicking on items instead of using the hotkey. That's far less common than in the past, but it happens. I'm just far too used to doing that from other games.

You could always practice tinker with Soul Ring/BoT/Blink/Sheep/Dagon/E-Blade against bots or something, you'll need to know the keys well and shift queueing helps on him as well.

rezuth

Da09mO4.jpg

Hey guys

bounchfx

hey, so have we heard anything about the 'update' schedule going forward? we don't get test patches on wednesday nights anymore do we?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
hey, so have we heard anything about the 'update' schedule going forward? we don't get test patches on wednesday nights anymore do we?

Nope, they come when they come. But something is bound to happen in the next month, because Valve loves Halloween.

J2d

Is there a page that displays the levels of loot that you can get, I'm level 11 and that's puts me at finding arcane items (whatever that means).

J Jizzle

After 200+ hours, I finally have a good string of games which don't involve one team snowballing the other. Do long term players on here find that matchmaking improves over time and games start getting closer?

BWAHAHAHHAHAHA

this is also what graphs for lockless boxes will look like when they're restocked. Which, again, is why I kept saying I don't understand why people were paying $90+ for those things, let alone $300 for fucking Flowering Treeants. As if those items weren't going to be restocked when Valve said quite specifically that they'd be back in about a month??

easiest $100 steambucks of my life ty valve

damn it man. you should have held it for at least a week. they're going to go up from here for awhile until they restock again.

KingKong

BWAHAHAHHAHAHA

this is also what graphs for lockless boxes will look like when they're restocked. Which, again, is why I kept saying I don't understand why people were paying $90+ for those things, let alone $300 for fucking Flowering Treeants. As if those items weren't going to be restocked when Valve said quite specifically that they'd be back in about a month??

damn it man. you should have held it for at least a week. they're going to go up from here for awhile until they restock again.

People are stupid and Steam lets them spend money easily. CS GO started dropping a new crate this weekend and people were buying it for 20+ dollars. Its already down to 5 and shouldnt cost anything really considering you still need to buy a key

People are stupid and Steam lets them spend money easily. CS GO started dropping a new crate this weekend and people were buying it for 20+ dollars. Its already down to 5 and shouldnt cost anything really considering you still need to buy a key

I mean, I understand the desire to be first. Truly, I do. But what the fuck. People couldn't wait a month? It's been about 40 days or so since TI3. They said early October, so they even delivered early which is like...when has Valve ever been early. Maybe people didn't believe Valve? Or maybe people had money to burn. I don't know. I just supposed I believe that if you have the choice to (a) buy something now for $300 or (b) buy something 1 month later for $40-$110, you'd wait.

That's what I said about the LD Onyx skin. I couldn't sell that thing fast enough. I'm still using that suckers money.

yep those will be dropping soon enough.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BWAHAHAHHAHAHA

I wonder if the plushes will still be able to pay for them selves once they restock.

IXDL is pretty fun as long as your team doesn't bitch.

I wonder if the plushes will still be able to pay for them selves once they restock.

IXDL is pretty fun as long as your team doesn't bitch.

I've never really seen an item that was only available through a store purchase lose more than maybe 10% of its value. Even the Axe flaming (http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/570/Genuine Wyvernguard Edge?filter=axe) and the Drow Bow (http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/570/Genuine Bow of the Howling Wind) which are now over a year old have not really lost any value. And if they discontinue the items that they're bundled with, they will probably go up.

So these Treeants will never be worth less than $40 unless they release a non-genuine version of the item...which would be a first in Dota2 (though common practice in TF2).

So yes, you're not going to lose anything buying the plushie. Though presumably, you bought one to have your own Flowering Treeant. But yea you could have bought two of them today (2 plushies) and sold the second and come out ahead in SteamBux. Easily.

sibarraz

Banned

Hell, counter strike crates still give you some decent money (20 cents) considering in that they are just crates

Conceptor

I want the flowering tree :(.

Also Sayruri in (uhhh), LGD.Mali is out... Though Mali said he left a while ago. He did a really good job imo

Ethranes

On the Idle Thumbs podcast this week someone mentioned a website where it took dota buff stats and when playing in captains mode, gave you a win percentage based on the heros that are picked so far, and gave you suggestions on what heros to pick during the draft stage. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Randdalf

On the Idle Thumbs podcast this week someone mentioned a website where it took dota buff stats and when playing in captains mode, gave you a win percentage based on the heros that are picked so far, and gave you suggestions on what heros to pick during the draft stage. Does anyone know where I can find that?

http://dota2cp.com/#suggest

If you find yourself needing a strong counter-pick for a certain hero it's probably good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom