• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boken

Banned
guys, how do you play dota with this ?

controller.jpg

is this a beatbox

Ketch

Just played the craziest game ever... 1hr 10min. Final score 73/39. We win, but I can't figure out how it took so long. It could have been because the enemy team had timber (bloodstone + heart) and abaddon (2 hearts!), and we lost some pretty crucial team fights... but holy crap, what a game.

Just played the craziest game ever... 1hr 10min. Final score 73/39. We win, but I can't figure out how it took so long. It could have been because the enemy team had timber (bloodstone + heart) and abaddon (2 hearts!), and we lost some pretty crucial team fights... but holy crap, what a game.

Game ID. we can probably tell why pretty quickly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cuz u in the trench

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm not sure about that either. TBH, Kunkka has *too many* fucking swords. He's gotten at least 5 in the last 3 months i think. Lemmie think....at least 4 in sets (3 before TI, and 1 that comes with a TI shirt), plus Whale Blade, Shadow Blade, and now this...so 7 swords.

How about some of this Kunkka love gets spread around to some other heroes? :-(

Yeah that's why I've really gotten tired of the chests. Kunkka sword, doom sword, NP staff, necro staff, etc...; same goddamn weapons over and over again. I wish they'd go back to making strange chests for the individual heroes, but I guess those aren't as snappy as ZOMG same ol "new" garbage of the month, right?

Dec

Getting a really weird bug today where my hero gets unselected and I have to actually click on him again to use any items or skills. Like on Axe, somehow in the middle of a fight nothing is responding, Axe is running around on auto attack and then I have to F1, and half the time he's too far to ult afterwards. Super frustrating.

Yeah that's why I've really gotten tired of the chests. Kunkka sword, doom sword, NP staff, necro staff, etc...; same goddamn weapons over and over again. I wish they'd go back to making strange chests for the individual heroes, but I guess those aren't as snappy as ZOMG same ol "new" garbage of the month, right?

Yep. I'm done opening anything until I see something I actually want. I'm not even interested in trading for that Kunkka sword, really. And it's only 4 keys on the open market. But...meh. idk.

yea ok, 325118013.

Just don't make fun of my mjolnir pick up on mirana..

Nothing wrong with Mjolnir on Mirana. She likes attack speed items and with her lowish damage (unless phase boots), it really helps her farm.

Some friends of mine have started playing Captains Mode a bit. This will probably go horribly wrong but I was thinking about maybe trying one of those crazy pushing line-ups that gaf likes to run, like in the giant bomb tournament.

How do you guys go about making a draft like that? I'm not sure how you prioritize your picks and bans. For picks you have quite a lot choices, I guess they can't really ban them all, but you might not get the best synergy. You have:

-heroes for tower damage like Leshrac, DK, Death Prophet, Pugna
-heroes for health sustain like Jugg, Dazzle, Abaddon, Tree
-mana sustain KoTL, OD and CM
-heroes that can kill the creep wave like Axe, DarkSeer, Gyro, Enigma etc

I guess you also need decent teamfight so you can actually win fights under the tower. I was thinking of something like a Jugg, Veno, Undying tri-lane, Dark Seer offlane and Dazzle mid. So the combo would be to vacuum people onto the tombstone and then gale them, and then spin and so on. This doesn't have of the mana sustain stuff though, I'm not sure how essential that is. Also does anyone know if Shadow Wave will bounce on Zombies? That could be a cool combo.

I guess you would get Dark Seer first since he's a likely ban and you also don;t want them to have him. And then for bans maybe start with Gyro and KoTL, although that kind of tips your hand.

Zeth

Last week I timed out in RD and randomed Meepo for the first time. Goal was to not feed - I just farmed and poofed the jungle and our team won - thought I was a god. Though one guy kept telling me to keep some in base because he watched some youtube micro master. Only 1 death though - a good outcome. Though I didn't contribute much.

I don't understand the point of rd when people just pick 2 more hard carries after your team has one. I'm not even looking to win a game, I just want a game that isn't fumbled by some douchebag going medusa ancients.

G.ZZZ

Hell yea, that's exactly why I get it. Vindicated by stranger on the internet. Who's never gonna amount to anything now mom?

Tbh mirana can build basically anything. Arcane meka if you play her as an utility, Phase Dagon/Lothar/EBlade if you play her as ganker, Treads +DPS item + BkB if you go for carry etc...

fiore

Banned
Some friends of mine have started playing Captains Mode a bit. This will probably go horribly wrong but I was thinking about maybe trying one of those crazy pushing line-ups that gaf likes to run, like in the giant bomb tournament.

How do you guys go about making a draft like that? I'm not sure how you prioritize your picks and bans. For picks you have quite a lot choices, I guess they can't really ban them all, but you might not get the best synergy. You have:

I guess you also need decent teamfight so you can actually win fights under the tower. I was thinking of something like a Jugg, Veno, Undying tri-lane, Dark Seer offlane and Dazzle mid. So the combo would be to vacuum people onto the tombstone and then gale them, and then spin and so on. This doesn't have of the mana sustain stuff though, I'm not sure how essential that is. Also does anyone know if Shadow Wave will bounce on Zombies? That could be a cool combo.

I guess you would get Dark Seer first since he's a likely ban and you also don;t want them to have him. And then for bans maybe start with Gyro and KoTL, although that kind of tips your hand.
Sounds great till they do OD against your ds, alch naga and visage against that trilane, and pretty much any hero against that dazzle.

M.D

Just had my first real Invoker match.. I wasn't planning on playing him, but it was all random and that's what I got

I practiced him a bit and thought why not...

It wasn't horrible, I actually won the mid lane and scored some kills, but the hard part is not to panic during team fights and remember your abilities. if we were pushing or I thought we were going to have a team fight, I'd have something like tornado or meteor to use, but I did went "holy shit what am I doing here" during a couple of team fights and didn't contribute at all during these fights

Just had my first real Invoker match.. I wasn't planning on playing him, but it was all random and that's what I got

I practiced him a bit and thought why not...

It wasn't horrible, I actually won the mid lane and scored some kills, but the hard part is not to panic during team fights and remember your abilities. if we were pushing or I thought we were going to have a team fight, I'd have something like tornado or meteor to use, but I did went "holy shit what am I doing here" during a couple of team fights and didn't contribute at all during these fights

If absolutely nothing else comes to mind, hit QQQ and just Cold Snap someone. Cold Snap is such a great spell.

M.D

If absolutely nothing else comes to mind, hit QQQ and just Cold Snap someone. Cold Snap is such a great spell.

Yeah, really great spell early on as well. Ghost Walk also saved me a few times..

What are some good items on Invoker? I just went according to the top rated guide on both leveling and items.

Got Phase, Drums, Aghs, Eul's and Force Staff. I had some money for another item but ended up spending it on a buy back

Played Captain's Draft yesterday with some friends with the following line up:

DP mid
LD offlane
Jug safe with Rubick and Skywrath support (They took Lesh from us after it became a bit obvious).

CM is obviously different than CD, but we pushed down all the towers by 15~18 minutes.

Lotto

Yeah, really great spell early on as well. Ghost Walk also saved me a few times..

What are some good items on Invoker? I just went according to the top rated guide on both leveling and items.

Got Phase, Drums, Aghs, Eul's and Force Staff. I had some money for another item but ended up spending it on a buy back

That's generally a good build for Invoker. He's a very high impact hero in the early/mid-game and I think and Phase/Drums gives him the necessary damage output to do well during those phases. Forcestaff is just great utility and gives him great positioning/mobility for him and his teammates and decent stats. Depending on what you want to do for the team though you can act as a support by putting a few points into Wex earlier on; don't need to be so strict in following the Quas/Exort skill build. Granted I've only had a few games with him under my belt, I generally skip Eul's and go straight for a Aghanims but if you do run into mana issues then Eul's is by no means a bad choice. Pick up a casual void stone if anything. All depends on the situation I guess. Someone here can probably give better advice. Refresher Orb is also very very fun if you're up for that challenge!

The regen carries over to whoever you're tethered to though, right?

Yep, but you have to have been hurt, but that's okay because that's what overcharge does (at a faster rate than heart heals you for by like 2% or something). It's just not that great in practice.

Edit: well hey kirbs stealing my words before I use 'em

G.ZZZ

Nah, since the "heal" from the armlet is actually just an increase in your strength.

Not really, since Treads toggling don't heal. Increasing a stat does not increase your base hp, but your % hp. In dota1 actually, base stats (so when you gained a level) increased your base hp (it was pretty nice because you could do some tricks like diving two heroes, gain a level from killing one, healing a bit from the level up and kill the other), but in dota2 they don't, they keep the % total hp unchanged like stats from items.
I think it's just coded to not heal through tether or something.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Leavers can eat me, but there's a special circle of hell reserved for Captain's Mode leavers.

Haunted

guys, how do you play dota with this ?

controller.jpg
Going to be a challenge to make a good profile.

Camera movement (center camera/follow hero)
Cursor movement
12 active abilities
autocasting abilities
left-click, right-click
attack move
hold
stop
queue
go ping/danger ping
courier
chat wheel
talk (team and all-chat)
upgrade
shop
scoreboard
pause

And THEN you get into the whole control group/multi-selection bullshit for Chen/Enchantress/Enigma/Meepo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom