• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteo

Holy crap, I can't believe I missed this launch.

Queued myself up to see what all the fuss is about for this game. All I care about is one thing though: How is the community for newcomers in this game?

Like any other moba, so expect to be trashed unless you play with gaf

Clawww

Holy crap, I can't believe I missed this launch.

Queued myself up to see what all the fuss is about for this game. All I care about is one thing though: How is the community for newcomers in this game?

the community at large is pretty awful at lower levels

my advice is stick to channels/communities that are friendly to newcomers, such as GAF, or play with friends.

in general, try to just suck it up and try to have some thick skin in regards to some of the abuse you encounter. eventually, as you improve and get matched up with better players, the incidence of shitheads will decrease by a lot.

Like any other moba, so expect to be trashed unless you play with gaf

the community at large is pretty awful at lower levels

my advice is stick to channels/communities that are friendly to newcomers, such as GAF, or play with friends.

in general, try to just suck it up and try to have some thick skin in regards to some of the abuse you encounter. eventually, as you improve and get matched up with better players, the incidence of shitheads will decrease by a lot.

So it's basically a more respectable version of League of Legends. Yeah, I'll stick with the GAF community in this for a while.

Hylian7

abaddon_full.png
+
bristleback_full.png
=
ibwSTY100E1f7J.gif

Clawww

also someone's advice earlier in this thread was that if someone is being a shithead just mute them right away and focus on your own game

you're not going to run into very many good players for a while, and if they're just flaming then they aren't helping regardless or their skill

Hylian7

I don't get it. Whats the combo with britstle and abadon thats deadly. Sorry I didn't play dota 1

Bristleback passively takes less damage and gets off extra quill sprays, as well as stacking for his ult. Then Abaddon throws that shield on him, and he's taking NO damage AND having an extra thing explode in your face.

Soule

I don't get it. Whats the combo with britstle and abadon thats deadly. Sorry I didn't play dota 1

Didn't really play Dota 1 either but I'm gonna guess that it's because they're hard to kill and/or when you attack them they give damage back. If you hit BB from behind he hits you with his quills and Abby has his aphotic shield which explodes. Or it could just be something else.

EDIT: Huzzah I was right! Could make a really lame themed team with spectre and centaur as well, just reflect pain city.

I would like to know why? I think restricting color is limiting a lot of potential as I said earlier.

Because cosmetics are not supposed to interfere with gameplay. You are supposed to be able to identify a hero with cosmetics without having to take a second look and silhouettes and color schemes are the most important factors here. Which is why Valve specifically asks item creators to keep them intact.

gillFTR

Because cosmetics are not supposed to interfere with gameplay. You are supposed to be able to identify a hero with cosmetics without having to take a second look and silhouettes and color schemes are the most important factors here. Which is why Valve specifically asks item creators to keep them intact.

Maybe its just me, everytime I go back to LoL after a month or 2 I never have any issues, I see the character I'm good. If a player has seen it he should be good, Are we not giving players enough credit? I would also understand this perspective for newer player though who don't know the whole hero pool.

shira

Also 8% of males are colorblind.

And what exactly are you confusing the guy with twin blades as? Are players being constatly confused which guy is which? Teemo in LOL has what 6 radically different outfits. Not saying we need to go there, but I don't think players will be confused if AM is white for more than 5s.

gillFTR

And what exactly are you confusing the guy with twin blades as? Are players being constatly confused which guy is which? Teemo in LOL has what 6 radically different outfits. Not saying we need to go there, but I don't think players will be confused if AM is white for more than 5s.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say we don't need to go those levels, but color makes so much more room for creativity.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Damn that set that also firmly keeps her silhouette as well as skin color (which is clearly visible) is exactly the same thing. Also saying another game does it therefore we should do it doesnt make it a good decision. The absurd model changing skins of LoL and HoN are part of the reason people dont want overly radical changes in the cosmetics.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

2013.07.12.articlebanner.champskinsalejpg.jpg

The two rightmost females are different champions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People can get used to either system and will accept it as the "right way to go" given a long enough time.

The point is moot.

I myself am not a fan of radically changing color schemes, I like for heroes to stay true to their base design.

That said, if Valve released Saber for Jugg officially I would buy that day one.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
So, 92% of new, male players could be confused by a set with non-standard colors. Adding in new female players and the numbers get worse.

Valve's track record clearly indicates that they want to make this very daunting and difficult game as accessible as possible. No stats, a system that doesn't give smurfs more than one or two games in actual low tier, and communication bans for disruptive players are all in the same vein. Colors should and most likely will remain consistent for a long period of time.

shira

Damn that set that also firmly keeps her silhouette as well as skin color (which is clearly visible) is exactly the same thing. Also saying another game does it therefore we should do it doesnt make it a good decision. The absurd model changing skins of LoL and HoN are part of the reason people dont want overly radical changes in the cosmetics.

Huh? Antimage's skin color is still the same in the Navi set.

I just used LoL as an example of people not getting confused if a "different" model of charachter approached you. You woulnd't be like WTF is that shit? You would almost instantly be able to recognize AM since it's also on the player listing.

Eventually Valve will have to cave. You can only make so many purple on purple antimage outfits.

You don't know what color blindness is do you?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just used LoL as an example of people not getting confused if a "different" model of charachter approached you. You woulnd't be like WTF is that shit? You would almost instantly be able to recognize AM since it's also on the player listing.

Only for a long time player, yes. But it can get very confusing for a new player. HoN is a particularly good example of this.

If I opened a HoN stream right now, chances are I wouldn't be able to tell what's what until I've had a very close look at all the heroes and what they were doing.

Maybe its just me, everytime I go back to LoL after a month or 2 I never have any issues, I see the character I'm good. If a player has seen it he should be good, Are we not giving players enough credit? I would also understand this perspective for newer player though who don't know the whole hero pool.

That Naga set is where I would personally draw the line. Her silhouette is still largely intact and the color scheme is used for at least 50% of the model in total. That's not the case with that awful AM set. It's not even close.

It's not about knowing the hero and cosmetic combination and recognizing it. It's about identifying a hero at a glance. If a unit steps out of the fog of war at the edge of your screen for half a second before vanishing again you need to be able to tell with which unit you are dealing with. It's part of the gameplay of RTS and A-RTS. If cosmetics interfere with this, they are no longer purely cosmetic items. Both HoN and LoL failed miserably in this regard and are horrible examples.

You cannot truly think it is okay for a player not to know what hero he is looking at for 5 seconds. That is beyond stupid. (Edit: The concept that is, not you.)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Huh? Antimage's skin color is still the same in the Navi set.

Eventually Valve will have to cave. You can only make so many purple on purple antimage outfits.

Yes its the same. Its just not exposed at all so its use as an identifying color is moot. Unlike for the Naga or Jugg sets everyone keeps trying to used as counterarguments.

shira

That Naga set is where I would personally draw the line. Her silhouette is still largely intact and the color scheme is used for at least 50% of the model in total. That's not the case with that awful AM set. It's not even close.

It's not about knowing the hero and cosmetic combination and recognizing it. It's about identifying a hero at a glance. If a unit steps out of the fog of war at the edge of your screen for half a second before vanishing again you need to be able to tell with which unit you are dealing with. It's part of the gameplay of RTS and A-RTS. If cosmetics interfere with this, they are no longer purely cosmetic items. Both HoN and LoL failed miserably in this regard and are horrible examples.

You cannot truly think it is okay for a player not to know what hero he is looking at for 5 seconds. That is beyond stupid. (Edit: The concept that is, not you.)

Volvo should approve it in a $100 pack, then Alpine Ursa it to calm the purists.

Win-win.

Demoli

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...67gUZnoCqS7ygGppoCwBQ&ved=0CFEQ9QEwBQ&dur=402

This is dota 1 phantom assassin. Her skill Blur used to literally make her more transparent the more you leveled it up.

Thank god they changed that, it added nothing to the gameplay and it only served to frustrate.

When i look at that AM set, my first though would be if it was AM's brother or something, completely different colur scheme combined witht eh slightly altered sillouete makes it look like a different carachter altogether.

Honestly, Alpine Ursa did not break half as many Dota 2 Workshop guidelines and rules as this Ronin set does.

I don't get why Na'vi keeps backing these sets that have little to no chance of getting into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom