• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

iloled

Banned
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ flex your dongers ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Are Koreans restricted in being able to get into Dota 2?

Yeah

They need a special key ala China

There was also a big controvery at leddit because you can only play on Korean servers using the Korean client that requires a Korean equivalent to a SSN to register with.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't believe it's required like China, but Nexon is one of the largest publishers in Korea so they are better suited to do the distribution and marketing.

Valve has worked with Nexon in the past for Counter-Strike Online and even EA uses them for their F2P FIFA game.

Acinixys

I thought because they don't have any cosmetics yet they're loadout page isn't updated yet for customization.

They can add that, look at Morphling, he's just a wave with a head and arms. and yet he gets sets.

Some heros are not made available for cosmetics by Valve yet, so people are unable to make items, no matter how much they want to. Valve disassembles the heroes and tell the communuty what can and cant be changed/added

Hellraider

"Guys I am sorry that I died 8 times without killing anyone the truth is I have been eating pizza since the beginning."

So.fucking.tired.of.randoms.

Forkball

Went 2/8 as Abaddon. Got not farm and the Drow mid stomped pretty much all game. Our 2/10 Pudge trash talked the entire game and then blamed missed hooks on lag.

dota.jpg

Boken

Banned
pudge is basically shaco in solo queue

when theyre on your team they suck ass, miss every hook and never gank

if theyre on the enemy team theyre amazing and hit every blind hook they throw out

woober

How rare are the drops for the smeevil mounts and dye? I see they're legendary and mythical items according to dota2lounge. No other way of getting them for now other than drops? I'm assuming they'll be in the summer stash once the key is out.

Forkball

I went 10/2/25 as Necro and my reward was a dupe Omni helm. NEAT.

Also, does Reaper's Scythe actually HEAL Abaddon when he ults? I mean he was definitely in the kill threshold, so Abby's ult overrides that? Valve pls

Gav47

How rare are the drops for the smeevil mounts and dye? I see they're legendary and mythical items according to dota2lounge. No other way of getting them for now other than drops? I'm assuming they'll be in the summer stash once the key is out.

You get them from stamping complete teams in the compendium and you get one dye for playing your first compendium mm game.

Volodja

So has anybody experienced a bug where you can't right click to move right under some of the hero portraits in the top bar?

The unclickable area is as wide as the portrait and about as high as the buyback icon and considering that it seems that during the match the amount of "dead space" increases, maybe it has something to do with buybacks.

It's been happening for around a week, at the start I thought I was just messing my clicks, but yesterday I noticed that it was an actual inability to target those areas.

woober

You get them from stamping complete teams in the compendium and you get one dye for playing your first compendium mm game.

So once you get them, there's no way of getting additional ones by drops in games?

Edit: So from what I'm reading, you get an additional smeevil treat per team you complete in the compendium? But then what about the mounts?

Guys, I'm terrible at last hits. What should I do? Practice in solo bot matches?

buy a quelling blade or an early ring of basilus, blades of attack, or wraithband/bracer.

What heroes are you having trouble last hitting with? Most melee heroes are pretty easy to get last hits.

ink4n3

So has anybody experienced a bug where you can't right click to move right under some of the hero portraits in the top bar?

The unlickable area is as wide as the portrait and about as high as the buyback icon and considering that it seems that during the match the amount of "dead space" increases, maybe it has something to do with buybacks.

It's been happening for around a week, at the start I thought I was just messing my clicks, but yesterday I noticed that it was an actual inability to target those areas.

I haven't tried licking the portraits yet. What do they taste like?

Vamphuntr

Haven't played in 3 weeks and when I boot the game I got like 5 items? From what I gather this Bloodstone of the Precursors or whatever its called gives "gifts".We all got this from being in the beta I presume? How does it work?

I read the compendium about the player cards and the treats/dyes. I guess watching matches do nothing except adding an aura? Seems like it will take a while to get a full set. Gotta play more :O

Nice visual update for Lion. I play him often and he looked really bad before.

Seems like the compendium pool will reach 2.6 million after all. Come to me my precious immortal item.

oneils

buy a quelling blade or an early ring of basilus, blades of attack, or wraithband/bracer.

What heroes are you having trouble last hitting with? Most melee heroes are pretty easy to get last hits.

I've been playing with mostly ranged characters. Right now I've played with Viper, Drow Ranger, and Lich. I need to try a melee character soon. Thanks for the tips on gear.

Swig_

Guys, I'm terrible at last hits. What should I do? Practice in solo bot matches?

Did you play LoL? If so, LoL is very different in that you can last hit immediately.

Dota has attack animations that differ between heroes. Sniper vs Drow, there's a huge difference since Drow is much slower. Every hero is different and it takes some getting used to, but with a little time and practice, it gets easier.

PS- I need to update my avatar, but I still love Teemo. I wish Dota had a Teemo. lol.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Did you play LoL? If so, LoL is very different in that you can last hit immediately.

Dota has attack animations that differ between heroes. Sniper vs Drow, there's a huge difference since Drow is much slower. Every hero is different and it takes some getting used to, but with a little time and practice, it gets easier.

PS- I need to update my avatar, but I still love Teemo. I wish Dota had a Teemo. lol.

Se0nHIG.png

I still don't understand the teemo obsession. Does he have an actual personality or something and the playerbase liked him and riot just made him some sort of mascot or something? He's on all sorts of shirts and hats and shit.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
he looks kawaii but is actually a ruthless killer xD

That's his official lore.

He's also dating Tristana.

Swig_

he looks kawaii but is actually a ruthless killer xD

That's his official lore.

He's also dating Tristana.

These plus he is fun as hell to play when you know what you're doing with him. Some of my most memorable games were with Teemo. I never played the original Dota, so I'm not sure how Techies will compare to him, but I'm anxious to try them out.

Anteo

I went 10/2/25 as Necro and my reward was a dupe Omni helm. NEAT.

Also, does Reaper's Scythe actually HEAL Abaddon when he ults? I mean he was definitely in the kill threshold, so Abby's ult overrides that? Valve pls

Unlike axes ult wich was 100000000 damage in dota 1 (making it impossible for lanaya/dazzle/abby/void survive it) and now the unit are mark as dead, the damage from necro is just one huge magic hit, so you can survive it

The way how it was programed for lanaya and abby was like this:

If the missing hp is lower than the damage it would take, save that difference.

heal the unit for the damage it would take

The unit takes the damage
heal that unit for the saved value.

Thats for shield and refracttion

for abby ult you would heal again for the damage at the end.

That means if the total damage was higher than the max hp the unit would die anyways

Iirc for dazzle it would try to heal first but nit afterwards and only if the unit would die.

Again iirc for void bactrack would heal first but not afterwards so a laguna blade at full hp wiuld still damage even if backtracked.

All of those were around 6.5x. I think backtrack was changed to work like shield

oneils

No, I never played it. I'm new to MOBAs. Just figuring them out, now. Got into the Dota 2 beta a while ago, but it never clicked with me. I putzed around for a few hours in bot or co-op bot matches. Trying to actually learn how to play now.

Timing the attack is my main issue. I'm never quite sure how low the creep's health bar has to be before I attack. Gonna try practicing a bit in a bot match and see how that goes.

Acinixys

So once you get them, there's no way of getting additional ones by drops in games?

Edit: So from what I'm reading, you get an additional smeevil treat per team you complete in the compendium? But then what about the mounts?

Go read your compendium
Theres info in there on how the items drop

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Unlike axes ult wich was 100000000 damage in dota 1 (making it impossible for lanaya/dazzle/abby/void survive it) and now the unit are mark as dead, the damage from necro is just one huge magic hit, so you can survive it

The way how it was programed for lanaya and abby was like this:

If the missing hp is lower than the damage it would take, save that difference.

heal the unit for the damage it would take

The unit takes the damage
heal that unit for the saved value.

Thats for shield and refracttion

for abby ult you would heal again for the damage at the end.

That means if the total damage was higher than the max hp the unit would die anyways

Iirc for dazzle it would try to heal first but nit afterwards and only if the unit would die.

Again iirc for void bactrack would heal first but not afterwards so a laguna blade at full hp wiuld still damage even if backtracked.

All of those were around 6.5x. I think backtrack was changed to work like shield

The reason Axe's ulti is impossible to survive is it purges off everything before the hit.

Forkball

I still don't understand the teemo obsession. Does he have an actual personality or something and the playerbase liked him and riot just made him some sort of mascot or something? He's on all sorts of shirts and hats and shit.

He's a cute cartoon character, and Asia likes cute cartoon characters and they're slapped on everything. Dota doesn't really have a "Pikachu" mascot hero. What's close to a cute animal in Dota? Puck?

Puck.png

No one wants to wear that t-shirt.

And thanks Anteo for the breakdown. I really hate it when something cancels Necro's ult considering that is his major kill move and has quite a lengthy cooldown.

Anteo

The reason Axe's ulti is impossible to survive is it purges off everything before the hit.

Yes, but abbys ult is in no way tied to the buff. You can eul him in dota1, he will cone down without the buff and animation and still absorb damage. There is no part of the triggers that check for the buff before trying to heal (in dota 1)

heck you could even get some buggy interactions with abbys ult that would activate the effect but not send the spell to cd. I used and abused those in dota1

In dota 2 i thonk the unit is just mark as dead wich allows for blademail to not have a damage threshold (but thats asuming that info is true)

I used to program wc3 spells and knew a lot about how dota spells where programed. I even replicated many of them

oneils

Uh, me again.

Treasure keys are only available in the shop or through trade, right?

If so, what items do people generally take in trade for keys?

I got a Treasure Chest of the Shaper Divine. But I don't think I have much of anything worth trading. I have three common player cards. Lol, anyone want them for a shaper divine key?

Oh man. Valve. What have I gotten myself into now. Way too devious! I wonder how long until I cave and buy keys so I can see what is inside these chests.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sorry to burst your bubble but no one's going to trade a key for some commons and chests, which are the closest thing to worthless.

Only higher end rares can be reliably traded for keys, particularly those from new chests.

oneils

Sorry to burst your bubble but no one's going to trade a key for some commons and chests, which are the closest thing to worthless.

Only higher end rares can be reliably traded for keys, particularly those from new chests.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought! I wonder how many people actually buy keys for common chests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom