• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Huh, why would a guy with 465 wins queue up for a limited hero match? The next highest win count was 18.

I was playing Lich for the first time in a pvp match. So I didn't really know what I was doing. He kept calling me an idiot. Lol!? What is the point?

We still won, though: http://dotabuff.com/matches/242218513

I queued up because I thought I would play with other people who are about my level, but the game was completely mixed. I don't mind helping out newbies, but I will probably not play that mode again.

oneils

I queued up because I thought I would play with other people who are about my level, but the game was completely mixed. I don't mind helping out newbies, but I will probably not play that mode again.

That would be great if more people like you did queue up. This guy was just arrogant, assuming everyone was at the same level. Told him it was my fourth game and he didn't really care lol!

He did teach me stuff, even if he was a jerk! So can't say that it was all in vain.

ink4n3

Don't you have to queue limited hero matches to finish the tutorial? I tried this morning, but after 10 min of waiting in the queue I gave up.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh...I never thought I'd criticize someone for buying too many wards, but our Shadow Shaman bought both sets early on and went bot (on Dire) and left top unwarded, and their Storm Spirit got off quite a few ganks top because we couldn't see him coming

oneils

Don't you have to queue limited hero matches to finish the tutorial? I tried this morning, but after 10 min of waiting in the queue I gave up.

I've only had to wait a max of three and a half minutes. Strange. I guess depends on your region?

moggio

Banned
I've been playing the Training matches today and have had the misfortune of being placed with some utter cretins. One guy became petulant when our team wasn't doing so well (which is to be expected) being generally obnoxious, rude and unwilling to help or give advice. Apparently he 'didn't help noobs' and we were all 'fackers'. Hilarious.

I reported him. Attitudes like that are unnecessary and could put off newbies for good and that isn't acceptable.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Just played carry Abbadon:

Love how some people just won't accept that it's not smart diving Abby.

Went, Phase, Soul Ring. Drums, S&Y, Vlad, Mjöllnir... Racecar build is a lot of fun.

With your passive, your hit extremely fast and reach 522 movement easily. Could solo Rosh after I got Vlads. Next time, I'm thinking about getting a naked hyperstone and a Skull Basher

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I've been playing the Training matches today and have had the misfortune of being placed with some utter cretins. One guy became petulant when our team wasn't doing so well (which is to be expected) being generally obnoxious, rude and unwilling to help or give advice. Apparently he 'didn't help noobs' and we were all 'fackers'. Hilarious.

I reported him. Attitudes like that are unnecessary and could put off newbies for good and that isn't acceptable.

Welcome to dota bro, this will never go away unless you play with a group of friends. Gotta learn to love the report/mute function (especially the mute).

Artanisix

Welcome to dota bro, this will never go away unless you play with a group of friends. Gotta learn to love the report/mute function (especially the mute).

Yeah, but you really shouldn't have to expect that kind of garbage in the limited hero mode where you only expect newbies. Valve really needs to shut it off to anyone above the low brackets.

Sibylus

Banned
Found a dota.fgd in Source Filmmaker, so it may be entirely possible to map for Dota 2 inside Alien Swarm's SDK! Fingers crossed.

fallagin

Could you guys tell me if my build is ok?

I use sand king mostly.
I have been recently going

belt of strength + tango
ring of health for more regen
ogre club
upgrade to sange
get talisman of evasion into heaven's halberd so that I can disable
then I upgrade ring of health all the way to bloodstone.

any other money is spent on town portals or getting some other strength/damage increasing upgrade.

Am I doing it wrong?

Kenaras

Huh...I never thought I'd criticize someone for buying too many wards, but our Shadow Shaman bought both sets early on and went bot (on Dire) and left top unwarded, and their Storm Spirit got off quite a few ganks top because we couldn't see him coming

"Both sets"? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, there's only one set of observer wards to start. By the time they replenish it's almost time to re-ward, so there's still really just the one set until midgame. Leaving the safe lane unwarded is also a fairly common tactic, depending on the situation. With good ward placement in the hard lane you can easily see when a gank is coming, so if the enemy mid goes missing you know he's heading for the safe lane.

I use sand king mostly.

belt of strength + tango
ogre club
upgrade to sange

any other money is spent on town portals or getting some other strength/damage increasing upgrade.

Am I doing it wrong?
Your damage doesn't come from right clicks, it comes from using your skills so your money would be better spent on something that can help you use your skills to their max potential. A blink dagger is a super common pick up because it helps you so much with your positioning for your ultimate.

A bloodstone is just massive overkill for your mana needs.

A sange just isn't all that great of an item by itself anyway.

Now I'm not saying your way is wrong, just that most people would say you'd be more efficient with other stuff. I've seen games where sand king went nuts and got a ton of crazy stuff and ended up carrying us. But 99% of the time he isn't built or played like that. He's used as an initiator and support. Once you get blink if you're finding the farm, you might want a veil for instance.

I'm just shocked you can find the farm for all that stuff without taking it away from your carry.

Also buy wards.

fallagin

Your damage doesn't come from right clicks, it comes from using your skills so your money would be better spent on something that can help you use your skills to their max potential. A blink dagger is a super common pick up because it helps you so much with your positioning for your ultimate.

A bloodstone is just massive overkill for your mana needs.

A sange just isn't all that great of an item by itself anyway.

Now I'm not saying your way is wrong, just that most people would say you'd be more efficient with other stuff. I've seen games where sand king went nuts and got a ton of crazy stuff and ended up carrying us. But 99% of the time he isn't built or played like that. He's used as an initiator and support. Once you get blink if you're finding the farm, you might want a veil for instance.

I'm just shocked you can find the farm for all that stuff without taking it away from your carry.

Also buy wards.

Oh, ok thank you. That's alot of good advice, I will try to incorporate this into my play.

Also, Ive mostly been playing training pvp matches in the tutorial, so I dont really have a great grasp of everything that is going on :p

Vitor711

I use sand king mostly.

belt of strength + tango
ogre club
upgrade to sange

Am I doing it wrong?

Mana boots.

You need mana boots otherwise you can't stun into an ult.

Someone else has mentioned it already but you really don't need many items as SK other than mana boots and a blink dagger (Maybe a bracer early on or an urn i you're taking a lot of damage).

Going from that to an Aghanim's sceptre is pretty much the default build and what you'll see everywhere.

Veil helps compliment that for added magic damage but, generally, just rely on your skills to do damage,not right clicks.

Oh, ok thank you. That's alot of good advice, I will try to incorporate this into my play.

Also, Ive mostly been playing training pvp matches in the tutorial, so I dont really have a great grasp of everything that is going on :p

Don't worry you'll get it when you get into the normal matchmaking and people yell at you endlessly what you should be doing and how you cost them the game :p

Also yes arcane boots, how did I forget to mention those in the bloodstone sentence.

Mana boots.

You need mana boots otherwise you can't stun into an ult.

Someone else has mentioned it already but you really don't need many items as SK other than mana boots and a blink dagger (Maybe a bracer early on or an urn i you're taking a lot of damage).

Going from that to an Aghanim's sceptre is pretty much the default build and what you'll see everywhere.

Veil helps compliment that for added magic damage but, generally, just rely on your skills to do damage,not right clicks.

Veil + shivas if you are rich :p (after blink dagger ofc)

I personally also buy blademail on almost every hero just for the lols, fun item in pubs. Sk probably doesn't have the hp to make it worthwhile though.

Hylian7

I'd say Omni but both are kinda shitty offlaners IMO.

That's what I thought. This Omni told me he shouldn't offlane and I would be better just because I'm ranged...against a Luna and Veno. He has repel and a heal. Just stay alive and let the push to the tower. You won't get super farmed, but you'll get your levels.

That's what I thought. This Omni told me he shouldn't offlane and I would be better just because I'm ranged...against a Luna and Veno. He has repel and a heal. Just stay alive and let the push to the tower. You won't get super farmed, but you'll get your levels.

Yeah and besides repel and heal, he has a slightly higher than average base move speed (305) while Rubick is only 290. If you got hit with Gale in that lane you would be so fucked, especially with a Luna in the mix.

I love Abaddon's versatility. He can be entirely viable as either a support or carry, depending on your build and ranking. I've been messing around a little with him so far and have found a core that I enjoy: Phase Boots, Blade Mail, Refresher Orb. Abaddon's damage definitely comes from his standard attacks, and each item compliments that by supplying ~80 damage altogether. Considering Refresher Orb and Blade Mail, this set gives Abaddon 19 seconds of time where the team will not want to target you (9 from using Blade Mail twice, 10 from using Borrowed Time twice)--that with his shield means you're avoiding a LOT of damage, and in most cases, returning most of what you take.

It's not an entirely gimmicky approach, though, since Blade Mail gives him much needed early-game intelligence and armor, and Refresher supplies the godsend regeneration. Phase Boots, of course, is to start the chase and get your passive off. In pub matches, I was able to dive the enemy base with just these items built and pull off an ultra kill, still walking away home-free. Abaddon is good fun.

I use sand king mostly.

belt of strength + tango
ogre club
upgrade to sange

Am I doing it wrong?

In addition to what everyone else has said a belt of strength and a set of tangos is a terrible starting item build. Iron branches are much more cost effective for early game stats. And you should seek to make the most of your item space.

As a support you will need to get the courier and/or wards. For regen a tango isn't enough as it leaves you very vulnerable to try to heal up when you get down to 100-200 health so you'll want a salve too. The rest can be spent on iron branches or a clarity so you can get off more than a couple of stuns. If you don't have to get the courier/wards you could get a gauntlet at the start to turn into a bracer or urn later.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
abbadonlegit9gshf.jpg

Carry Abbadon is legit guyzzzz

I use sand king mostly.

belt of strength + tango
ogre club
upgrade to sange

Am I doing it wrong?

I main Sand King, but I am still a noob (~60 games)

Don't buy any items for right click. As was already said, that isn't the point of SK. SK is a great support because he really only needs two items to be super effective (mana boots/blink)

Start with some wards, a set of tangos, and a gauntlet of strength(can be built into a bracer if you need some early game survivability)
Get your mana boots as soon as you can. Burrow strike has a relatively short cool down and this will allow you to pretty much always have your stun up and ready to go.

Once you have your Arcane boots your sole mission is to get a blink. This item is the most important part of SK's game. It allows you to shift-blink epi(learn how to do this) into team fights and it also lets your chase down stragglers with your team. If you guys catch someone out of position and it looks like they are going to get away, you can blink close to/ahead of them and burrow strike so your team can clean them up. It is really hard to run away from an SK with a blink and lvl 4 burrow.

After you have your blink, you should be warding when possible and saving for a veil of discord. It will significantly increase the damage from your epi

After that, if you still have money, I would work towards and aghanim's sceptre.

If you want to talk about some more specific stuff with SK, let me know. I have probably 40+ games with him

Filth

I use sand king mostly.

belt of strength + tango
ogre club
upgrade to sange

Am I doing it wrong?

Joke answer: terrible. If I saw that build I'd say gg 5 min in.

Real answer: go bracer and rush blink dagger. It's all about that ult blink.

Hylian7

Anyone here used the Dota 2 models in Source Filmmaker before? I'm having a problem with it and need help. CyborgMatt's tutorial isn't working (or I'm doing something wrong that I can't figure out what it is). PM me if you know, don't want to derail the thread here.

Anteo

Both sets? There is only one set on the store at the start, and the store gets one extra set every 6 mins. So the only way for pubs is to buy a set and somehow split them

Hylian7

Joke answer: terrible. If I saw that build I'd say gg 5 min in.

Real answer: go bracer and rush blink dagger. It's all about that ult blink.

I'm guessing he is new, so we should probably explain this part.

Basically, if you didn't know already, you can shift queue things, like in most RTS games. Do this by holding shift as you click the command, so you can do this with moves, spells, whatever.

So with Sand King's ult, you have the channel time, and then you get the Epicenter pulses, but if you get interrupted in the channel, your ult is gone. So what you do, is you start your ult, while you are channeling, hit your Blink Dagger hotkey, hold shift, and click on where you want to blink to. What happens is you'll blink IMMEDIATELY when the channel time is over, and can completely surprise the other team with Epicenter pulses in their face. You won't miss any of them if you shift queue it.

I still want to try Sand King and Io one day, sounds like a hell of a way to teamfight. It would take extremely good coordination and possibly great connections as well.

Randdalf

Found a dota.fgd in Source Filmmaker, so it may be entirely possible to map for Dota 2 inside Alien Swarm's SDK! Fingers crossed.

Nah, it isn't (I've tried). Dota 2 uses a slightly higher engine version with some additional engine features like global illumination and stuff. The FGD contains only the entity definitions, which just make the mapper's job easier. In fact, you don't even need a Valve-provided FGD, it's a straightforward process to write your own from the decompiled map files. It's the map compiler itself that is the missing necessary element.

Island

So its been an interesting weekend so far. Had to go out of town for my wife's surgery. Brought my laptop that can barely run Dota, and settled in to practise against bots. I didn't dare risk playing against humans on shitty hotel wifi but bots should be fine. They weren't... Two abandons later and I'm in LPQ....

LPQ Sucks. No BP, and no items, which were one of the reasons I wanted to play bots. So switched to my smurf account. (Moral of the story is to play on a smurf if your Internet is shitty.)

So now I'm home and either I play on my smurf or in LPQ. So I play on my smurf and it goes horribly.

3 COURIERS at the start and a tri mid lane with enigma sniper and lycan. Lycan doesn't skill wolves, enigma gets first blooded cuz he just kept going down the middle and sniper does nothing.

Clinkz who I suspect was a smurf on the other team utterly destroys us as no one buys detection except me (random Ursa).

(2nd moral of the story. No matter how bad you are at this game... There us always someone worse.)

I also had to keep telling myself that the loss didn't matter... But it was hard...

And wow, quite a rant and all typed on my phone no less...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom