• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khatoz

So close to being the a true Lord of Darkness:

vJNI3CH.png

Also if anyone wants to trade some player cards, here's a list of what I currently have and need.

[Have] FATA, KingJ, ohayo, xiao8

[Need] YYF, Faith, Mushi, Xtinct, net, AdmiralBulldog, H4nn1, Korok, Bulba, Dendi, xy, QQQ

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just assume that all of veryhighdotogaf are cocksluts.

There are some heroes that I just can't bring my self to play it, SF and SS. I am just to scared to play them, hmm Meepo for that matter as well, though I love to play Chen.

shira

What are you kidding? Do you know how many hats you could buy for $30?!?

I know, but at least in LoL I would be out of the trench for like $100. I could level up twice and buy 3 boosters with the summer coupon sale. Dota is just trench4lyfe.

And cosmetics don't impress trench russians and trench peruvians. You buy a golden rosh and people be like where is the courier. Fuckit I'll buy another one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm pretty sure the LoL Trench extends up to at least gold, and likely includes lower Gold Ranks. That would cost a bunch of cash, like $300. And you likely have dunning kruger so you would just get tossed back down, while LoL may give you your fancy gold icon that can't be taken away, it has no problem tossing you in with the Silver and Bronze players.

shira

I'm pretty sure the LoL Trench extends up to at least gold, and likely includes lower Gold Ranks. That would cost a bunch of cash, like $300. And you likely have dunning kruger so you would just get tossed back down, while LoL may give you your fancy gold icon that can't be taken away, it has no problem tossing you in with the Silver and Bronze players.

ffs time to sell those battlefuries.

Acinixys

There are some heroes that I just can't bring my self to play it, SF and SS. I am just to scared to play them, hmm Meepo for that matter as well, though I love to play Chen.

I dont have heroes i wont play, i only have heroes im 100% shit with and always seems to lose when i play them

Windrunner and Shadow Fiend are two that come to mind. I think i have 4 wins and 11 losses with Wind. I have no idea why im so bad with her :(

01:59 Vautrin: man
01:59 Vautrin: there must be some kind of radiation
01:59 Vautrin: in russia
01:59 Vautrin: rotting away peoples brain
01:59 Vautrin: peoples brains
01:59 Vautrin: or something
01:59 Vautrin: there must be an explanation...

LOLZZZZZ

Man I miss my Asian Dota already. Something nice to watch when I can't sleep. Usually I start out more alert, then close my eyes and just listen, eventually turning it off when I feel myself slipping.

What are the benefits of hero denying? Does the other team get any experience or assist gold if you get denied? Also does the dead hero still lose the same gold? And is it possible to deny someone when the spell wasn't actually going to kill them but just leave them very low? (This last part makes me worry about trying it unless someone asks me to directly, which people don't do in pubs because communication is teh hard.)

Acinixys

What are the benefits of hero denying? Does the other team get any experience or assist gold if you get denied? Also does the dead hero still lose the same gold? And is it possible to deny someone when the spell wasn't actually going to kill them but just leave them very low? (This last part makes me worry about trying it unless someone asks me to directly, which people don't do in pubs because communication is teh hard.)

They lose gold but the enemy team gets no gold or XP

You can only deny heroes when theye under certain effects though, like Dooms ult/ Venomancers Gale/QoPs dagger etc

Aaron

They lose gold but the enemy team gets no gold or XP

You can only deny heroes when theye under certain effects though, like Dooms ult/ Venomancers Gale/QoPs dagger etc
You can have creeps kill you or self deny with Bloodstone. I did the latter by accident once. Surprised the hell out of me.

The people he was laning against would have normally noticed he had no items (no tangos or salve) and harrassed him out of lane within 30 seconds.

He should never have been able to get the 850gold for his arcane boots.

I know, I think I was omniknight (yea I know, such a good lane too!) so most of the stuff got healed but it was truly awful.

And couldn't he at the very least buy the damn energy booster in the side shop. :(

You can have creeps kill you or self deny with Bloodstone. I did the latter by accident once. Surprised the hell out of me.

Yeah, I think that is only since the 6.78 patch, so since a month or so?

Hylian7

Noticed something interesting about silencing Riki. I tested this with Puck and Riki. Silence makes him visible, but does not stop the fade time. What do I mean by that? Take this example.

Permanent Invisibility has a fade time of 3 at level 1. Waning Rift at level 3 silences for 2.25 seconds. If you silence Riki (assuming he has not revealed), then he will fade in .75 seconds. On level 4 Waning Rift, this means he would fade instantly after the silence ends.

Is this intended to work this way? I assumed silencing the ability meant that it cannot begin to activate (fade time). How exactly does the ability work where silence reveals but does not stall fade time, yet silencing will not reveal any other invisibility (except Sandstorm, but that is channeled, so that makes perfect sense)?

Noticed something interesting about silencing Riki. I tested this with Puck and Riki. Silence makes him visible, but does not stop the fade time. What do I mean by that? Take this example.

Permanent Invisibility has a fade time of 3 at level 1. Waning Rift at level 3 silences for 2.25 seconds. If you silence Riki (assuming he has not revealed), then he will fade in .75 seconds. On level 4 Waning Rift, this means he would fade instantly after the silence ends.

Is this intended to work this way? I assumed silencing the ability meant that it cannot begin to activate (fade time). How exactly does the ability work where silence reveals but does not stall fade time, yet silencing will not reveal any other invisibility (except Sandstorm, but that is channeled, so that makes perfect sense)?

Have you tried with other silences? If it works the same way then an orchid silence would have instant fade, assuming that Riki doesn't attack.

shira

icx0yWuFEbxhB.jpg

YABBADABBADON

Dota 2 is industry review proof, whereas most games you need to suck off review sites, build hype, plant buzzwords with exclusives, interviews, pre-builds and studio tours - Valve skipped everything and gave it to the public directly. No pay reviewer has 100-1000 hours to play this one game so either they have already played a tonne or they have given this to the interns or junior editors. Also it doesn't cost anything so Gamestop and traditional advertising console venues can't capitalize. Also scores are meaningless since it is already highly profitable 2 years before launch and queued to hell before any review was published. Valve has no incentive to pay for advertising/reviews or high-profile personalities to play the game for twitter/clicks.

i2Uf2ZRlAYmIc.jpg

Calidor

that review was actually a fun read:

Games are still trying to absorb the success of Dark Souls at the minute, which taught us that having something to lose isn't an intrinsically bad thing. But this is a whole other level. The comparison would only work if dying in Dark Souls transported you to a purgatory where five beefy dudes proceeded to bounce you off the walls for 25 minutes.

BeesEight

A quick rant on the joys of the community.

Was in a 16 minute queue because I could only get time to play really late at night. I did a quick check of my team as we were loading in and, sure enough, huge win discrepancy between players.

Which was fine. I had an idea of who should be higher skilled than others. I grabbed a support since I'm still wide-eyed and wonder free to this game.

Well, the bitching actually started before the clock finished counting down. Leading the charge was the self claimed '1200 wins' QoP who couldn't believe that we lost despite farming a 16 minute Scythe in the middle lane.

It amazes me that people can play this game for so long and spend all their time complaining. Instead of just shouting at the (stupid) Alchemist why not... I don't know, try and gank his lane? Or go organize a sweep of the jungle and their two farmers in there? Or do something other than sit in your middle lane and farm? If by your own damn admission you are God's gift to Dota, why not use that skill or experience and try to help out the struggling or lower performing players on your team?

Alternatively, you can complain at people for thirty minutes and then convince yourself that all your loses are solely out of your control and you'd just win more games if it were for your 'god damn teammates.'

I feel comfortable that my report will go through on this one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom