• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird, I thought it was fairly high with my skill level, but today I got someone that baffled my mind.

So, I had a Witch Doctor that did not buy any support items at the start, which is something that happens more often even when it is very annoying. But he did not buy any items at all. So I asked why he did not buy any items, and he said he would buy them later, sigh, fine.

So, after some time while we were laning he went off to the enemies secret shop and proceeded to buy an energy booster while still having not bought anything else. After this he went for the Arcane boots, and after that he went for orb of venom.

It was the most interesting build I have seen in a long while. Someone please tell me if that could have been a good idea in any way, because I can't think of a good reason.

LordCanti

I guess most new players don't know what a divine rapier is. We were getting stomped because one of our players was farming alone the entire game and not team fighting, until the 40th minute or so when he finally announced to us that he's got a rapier. He immediately died with it right near our racks in a team fight that went horribly, but to all of our shock, no one on the other team thought to pick the thing up. It sat on the ground for a good twenty or thirty seconds before the weakest member of their team (a windrunner) picked it up and immediately died with it. We picked it back up and basically jammed it down their throats in two or three minutes. I can only imagine the look of horror on their faces when our sniper suddenly hit like a truck with every attack, from a long ass range.

Hylian7

Just had a game that really needed a concede. Game was All Pick, I was Luna. Game starts off by Lone Druid using the bear to pull creeps back to his tower, we can do nothing to stop it (Luna and Abaddon lane). Lone Druid is freefarming and we can't stop him. Sand King and Spirit Breaker are fed as hell. Nature's Prophet snipes our walking courier 2-3 minutes in so I can't bring myself Boots, becausae I couldn't get to side shop and had bought them in regular. Courier is finally back up, STILL WALKING at 9 minutes, brings me boots, and then PROPHET TPS AND SNIPES IT AGAIN because nobody fucking upgraded it. There were no wards. Spirit Breaker charged freely across the map. I had no farm, Phantom Lancer had no farm, everyone on the other team did, we lost a rax in 20 minutes.

That shit needs a concede. it's not fun to play when a game goes like that.

Edit: Patch just now? Game client was out of date and I had to restart.

BeesEight

It was the most interesting build I have seen in a long while. Someone please tell me if that could have been a good idea in any way, because I can't think of a good reason.

It's a terrible idea.

All it takes is one mouse click from the enemy to check his inventory and he'd be harassed back to the fountain delaying any chance of getting the point booster before the laning phase ends. And then once he's chased out, his carry that he's presumably babysitting will also be destroyed.

Branches and regen are necessary at the start. Valve's recommended starter items are generally a good guide to follow when you're starting out. So yeah, you're right it's bad.

Still working through the tutorial, glad it's there, as this is my first MOBA. Assuming the game 'sticks' with me, I plan to play against bots a whole bunch before even attempting to go online against real people.

From my limited playtime, I think I prefer ranged classes. So far the Sniper is the only one I've played with...is there a better ranged class for newbies?

BHK3

Banned
So we just let trolls troll and do nothing about it then wait for Valve to ban then in like half a year? (if ever)

Just about. Reporting them will sooner or later put them in low priority, but then they can just troll there too :/

I had the worst game in all my years playing DOTA genre games yesterday.

There was this Tiny and Beastmaster who where friends (i checked their friends list after the game to confirm). From the get go the courier was being fed everytime it spawned, this wasn't the big problem. By the 20 minute mark i'm owning as Sniper with like 9-0-5 and the rest of my team minus the Beastmaster and Tiny and decimating the enemy and it looks like a easy victory and we had the clear advantage in towers, over double the kills and the enemy team was on the defensive.

Then all the sudden the Tiny purposely throws 3 of us (minus his friend) on a rock. Well we can't get it off it, you know why? Remember how i said the courier was being fed the whole match on purpose? Well we can't TP off the stupid fucken rock, we are stuck there until the enemy finds us and kills us. When the enemy finally did kill us the Tiny still kept on throwing us in unreachable places we couldn't get out of. While all this was happening the Beastmaster and Tiny where claiming ignorance (while sitting in the fountain) in All and Team chat and telling the enemy to report us....

What could of being the easiest win ever was destroyed by the most vile scum these MOBA communities are known for.

These things need to happen

• You should be able to see who is manually controlling the courier when its not delivering an item
  • Game needs that Tribunal system LoL has
  • Game needs vote kicking system HoN has (make it 9 out of 10 votes needed). This doesn't help with friends that are trolls though.
  • Disabling help should disable able Tinys throwing ability, because trust me i tried disabling the troll throwing me and he could still put me in unescapable areas.

the easiest and most reasonable approach is to just allow you to disable tiny's throw. rework the skill if necessary, but it's just way to easy to troll with it. i've lost count of how many times i've seen similar things

also, reporting people really isn't enough. smurfs climb the mm quickly and with no stats to keep track of, especially with the way mm tries to force the 50% winratio, most people have nothing to lose by using alts

Anteo

Still working through the tutorial, glad it's there, as this is my first MOBA. Assuming the game 'sticks' with me, I plan to play against bots a whole bunch before even attempting to go online against real people.

From my limited playtime, I think I prefer ranged classes. So far the Sniper is the only one I've played with...is there a better ranged class for newbies?

Generally supports are better for newbs at first, because they are stronger in the early game . Lich is a good example, he has skills that alows him to stay on lane longer, can buff his own armor and all that.

Generally supports are better for newbs at first, because they are stronger in the early game . Lich is a good example, he has skills that alows him to stay on lane longer, can buff his own armor and all that.

Thanks! I'm still very slowly figuring out how the game works. So far I kinda dig it, but there's still so much basic stuff I don't comprehend.

Is there any one single piece of advice for a total MOBA newb?

shira

You have to get through the trench to get out of the trench. I did it years ago, I know what kind of people are there. I got my BATTLE SCARS.
Things are worse than ever.
iBSFNAJyFX7zs.gif

I had the worst game in all my years playing DOTA genre games yesterday.

There was this Tiny and Beastmaster
I'll take that game, at least some people had fun for a portion of it. And it ended quickly.

So, after some time while we were laning he went off to the enemies secret shop and proceeded to buy an energy booster while still having not bought anything else. After this he went for the Arcane boots, and after that he went for orb of venom.
Support going support items. I'll take this game too. Nothing better than guide reading ogre mage trying to outcarry his own team's antimage. "Nah dude just wait till I get ags refersher. I'll have perma stun."

Hylian7 said:
2 courier snipes
That's good prophet work you gotta admit.

Hylian7

Things are worse than ever.
iBSFNAJyFX7zs.gif

I'll take that game, at least some people had fun for a portion of it. And it ended quickly.

Support going support items. I'll take this game too. Nothing better than guide reading ogre mage trying to outcarry his own team's antimage. "Nah dude just wait till I get ags refersher. I'll have perma stun."

That's good prophet work you gotta admit.

Yeah, but the second one shouldn't have happened because it shouldn't have been walking on the ground at 9 minutes!

Wynnebeck

Banned
I swear late-night Doto should come with a Surgeon General's Warning on toxicity. Nothing but asspained kids and trolls who abandon at the first blood.

Jarnet87

I've only played two games (and spectated one) since it left beta but there has definitely been an influx of new players. I guess it's better then Brazilian trolls since they are willing to learn, but dam is it frustrating.

shira

Yeah, but the second one shouldn't have happened because it shouldn't have been walking on the ground at 9 minutes!

Well that NP's aggressive and knows what they's doing. You take advantage of what the enemy gives you. WP.

268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=160534142
http://youtu.be/0-3Us44NOZU
Masked Cowl of The Boreal Watch by Tidal Craftsman (2nd Leshrac set)

Surprisingly decent Drow set remake. I'd give this one the nod over Anuxi's. Solves the problem of Drow hair by giving her a snow-ninja hoodie. Kinda wish we got some trippier effects but some particle here and there and seems like the best thing submitted in a while.

The original set if anyone interested.

sixghost

The worst teammate I've ever dealt with was a Lone Druid who didn't put a single point into Spirit Bear or True Form the entire game. We pleaded with him to skill the bear. Ironically he had 4 points in Synergy.

Hylian7

The worst teammate I've ever dealt with was a Lone Druid who didn't put a single point into Spirit Bear or True Form the entire game. We were pleading with him the entire game to skill the bear. Ironically he had 4 points in Synergy.

[tiredjoke]He really was the Lone Druid.[/tiredjoke]

Artanisix

Well that NP's aggressive and knows what they's doing. You take advantage of what the enemy gives you. WP.

268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=160534142
http://youtu.be/0-3Us44NOZU
Masked Cowl of The Boreal Watch by Tidal Craftsman (2nd Leshrac set)

Surprisingly decent Drow set remake. I'd give this one the nod over Anuxi's. Solves the problem of Drow hair by giving her a snow-ninja hoodie. Kinda wish we got some trippier effects but some particle here and there and seems like the best thing submitted in a while.

The original set if anyone interested.

I like the Drow set buuut my IMMEDIATE issue with it is that the portrait totally gives me a Crystal Maiden vibe.

I like the Drow set buuut my IMMEDIATE issue with it is that the portrait totally gives me a Crystal Maiden vibe.

The setup of the hood also invokes TA to me (default or one of her sets). Not a big deal though.

And I really wish those fucking ascii thumbs up posts would stop (or be stopped). Doesn't contribute anything at all and makes it harder to find and read legitimate comments.

shira

200x200.resizedimage
268x268.resizedimage
Crystal_Maiden.png

Anuxi's snowdrop CM vaguely, but default CM not really.
The setup of the hood also invokes TA to me (default or one of her sets). Not a big deal though.
TA has more of a veil/scarf but never a hood. She's got the comb bun and various ponytail styles.

Kreunt

Banned
I don't know if it's just because i'm in a slightly better bracket than i was in HoN, But compared to HoN, I've found intentional feeding practically non-existant in dota2.
I think it's just a much much better community.

Edit: Lack of a condede option probably helps.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
WELL THATS JUST WONDERFUL

really, thanks for showing us this anbokr

now i know what kind of person milk is

theres no campaign, but there is a tutorial.

wait ur telling me u haven't seen this gem? milkman is working on the sequel for fifty shades of grey

this one is real

shira

Total noob here. Never played this. Heard so much of it. Same with LoL!

Is there a single player campaign? Just asking

There is a tutorial so about 1 hour of single player campaign-like. Then you can choose to play with bots or humans

Offline bots has 9 bots.
Custom lobby you can have 0-9 bots/humans enable cheat codes
Bots Coop match pits you 5 humans vs 5 bots.
The rest are all 5 humans vs 5 humans.

But sadly there is no actual Warcraft 3 esque campaign mode. It's tower defence through and through.

Milkman drunk linking or something idk (warning nsfw): http://i.imgur.com/YDd08VY.jpg

Sweet, I gotta find some awesome nsfw deviant.art to spam here.

Aaron

Viper is pretty unbalanced in limited hero mode. Almost all the other heros are so squishy and easy prey.
Bounty Hunter can wreck because the tutorials never teach detection or warding. There really, really should be a warding tutorial. I'm baffled that it's not included when it's so important.

Weird, I thought it was fairly high with my skill level, but today I got someone that baffled my mind.

So, I had a Witch Doctor that did not buy any support items at the start, which is something that happens more often even when it is very annoying. But he did not buy any items at all. So I asked why he did not buy any items, and he said he would buy them later, sigh, fine.

The people he was laning against would have normally noticed he had no items (no tangos or salve) and harrassed him out of lane within 30 seconds.

He should never have been able to get the 850gold for his arcane boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom