• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calidor

WTF is that tinker model!!

this is how tinker is supposed to look:

20070617-BTNHeroTinker.gif

he is a green goblin, not a blue old dude. gross

shira

Well I bought this monitor. I don't know what 120hz is, but $500 is way more than I was willing to spend on a monitor.
If your video card can handle it, you should at least demo a high frame rate monitor to see the difference in last-hitting and overall smoothnosity. Not a major difference but I guess the price has been dropping. 120Hz monitors were expensive just last year. This one is only $100 bones more and 144hz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Some people can tell the difference, some can't.

BeesEight

So I built a new PC, spent about $1100 on it. For the last ~7 years I've been using laptops... turned on Dota 2 yesterday, maxed everything, and went

Seriously, it was more striking than maxing TF2 and GS:GO. I had missed so many details playing it on the lowest settings. Now I can see little squirrels running around, the river looks amazing, the heroes look amazing, I can see what the creeps actually look like. It was like playing a brand new game.

I had the same reaction when I was finally forced to rebuild my desktop. It's remarkable we managed to play so long on low settings.

Artanisix

Gotta love furions that reply with U MAD when you ask them why they aren't split pushing.

Don't ask people why they aren't doing something. Seriously, take it from someone who plays in front page matchmaking all the time. All it does is serve to demoralize and puts you in the arrogant "I'm way better than you why don't you have the game sense I do" position, which no one likes. If you want Prophet to split push, tell him straight up, hey man, enemy is pushing mid, or we're pushing bottom, you should split push top and force a reaction.

Learning how to communicate effectively with your teammates will go a long way towards having a better gaming experience.

BraXzy

Oh wow. There was a sand king in my game with 100 wins, so not exactly brand new to the game. He made so many randomly stupid moves and comments it was laughable. I was CK, he told me I should initiate every fight....

Our enigma used his ult on almost all their team when they were in our base, he stood around the tower waiting for.. idk something magic to happen.. like an epicenter? -.- But this one stood out for me for sure:

shira

Don't ask people why they aren't doing something. Seriously, take it from someone who plays in front page matchmaking all the time. All it does is serve to demoralize and puts you in the arrogant "I'm way better than you why don't you have the game sense I do" position, which no one likes. If you want Prophet to split push, tell him straight up, hey man, enemy is pushing mid, or we're pushing bottom, you should split push top and force a reaction.

Learning how to communicate effectively with your teammates will go a long way towards having a better gaming experience.

Do you have a trench smurf account? I don't think you feel our pain.

Pop-psychology only works to a certain type of rational person. The furion's in trench are the ones trying to cut down every tree in the map before they respawn or delivering rapiers to enemy fountain.

MKAllDay

Oh wow. There was a sand king in my game with 100 wins, so not exactly brand new to the game. He made so many randomly stupid moves and comments it was laughable. I was CK, he told me I should initiate every fight....

Our enigma used his ult on almost all their team when they were in our base, he stood around the tower waiting for.. idk something magic to happen.. like an epicenter? -.- But this one stood out for me for sure:

Your team has a Jakiro mid and then CK and Slark are laning together in the off-lane. Wat.

Edit: Just realized Radiant has a Drow Kunkka lane and AM SK lane so they make your team's lanes look great in comparison.

I've been thinking of making a Twitch account so I can stream some Doto. I have 15/5 Mbps internet (Verizon Fios). Is that enough to stream with?

If your video card can handle it, you should at least demo a high frame rate monitor to see the difference in last-hitting and overall smoothnosity. Not a major difference but I guess the price has been dropping. 120Hz monitors were expensive just last year. This one is only $100 bones more and 144hz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Some people can tell the difference, some can't.

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably won't get it because I've already bought the monitor and I'm too lazy to return it and buy a whole new one just so I can have a maybe-noticeable smoothness increase. But when I'm on the market for a new one, I'll keep this advice in mind.

I had the same reaction when I was finally forced to rebuild my desktop. It's remarkable we managed to play so long on low settings.

It really is. I can't wait to play all those games that my laptop couldn't run.

Am I the only one who is having a problem with the chat servers? It always says there are 0 people in the room, and others don't see when i suggest invites.

MKAllDay

I've been thinking of making a Twitch account so I can stream some Doto. I have 15/5 Mbps internet (Verizon Fios). Is that enough to stream with?

I am no expert on the subject but I believe that should be sufficient. My friend streams at a decent quality with less bandwidth than that. I think another relevant aspect is whether or not your PC is capable of doing it as I believe streaming is taxing on your CPU and GPU. Regardless the best way to find out is just to try it!

Dendi is demonstrating a new level of baller status for eSports which involves having your crew be on stream with you in the background. I hope they blow up for him when he makes big plays too.

I am no expert on the subject but I believe that should be sufficient. My friend streams at a decent quality with less bandwidth than that. I think another relevant aspect is whether or not your PC is capable of doing it as I believe streaming is taxing on your CPU and GPU. Regardless the best way to find out is just to try it!

Ok cool. I just built this PC so my GPU and CPU should be able to handle it. I'll make a Twitch account and try it out today or tomorrow. I'll put the link in here so you guys can tell me if the connection is shit or not.

22k now haha. More than most tournament streams!

Well there's no tournaments on today (for some reason). So a big gap to fill. And everyone loves watching Dendi.

And I don't know if my connection is stable enough that I'd want to stream Dota. Upstairs where the source router is located it's more than capable, but there's severe degradation through the powerline adaptors bringing it to the computer I now play on downstairs (still don't know why it's so bad). WiFi doesn't penetrate (stongly enough for a good connection) through the floor either.

I may stream myself working on Dota cosmetics when I'm more comfortable with the process. I don't think people would want to watch me being fiddly with things I'm still figuring out myself.

Hylian7

Well, there you go Hylian. As it should be :D

I knew it! I was damn sure that should work. Bug report that Puck silence doesn't stop it!

Edit: http://www.playdota.com/mechanics/Invisibility

Permanent Invisibility
Units that are under the effects of permanent invisibility will not try to autoattack nearby targets, also their pathing regarding other units remains unchanged, Permanent Invisibility is revealed by silence and pausing, the aforementioned and hex prevent the unit from fading again during their effects

So I just randomed PL in an All Pick game, solo queue. Dude who has PA selected as a hero calls safe lane. I'm like okay, someone pick support, we can dual offlane. Rest of the team picks Mirana, Invoker and Lina. The dude proceeds not to pick PA but Earthshaker and inisists on going carry ES top. My choices were "fuck this guy" and farm top lane with ES and Lina or dual lane bot with Mirana. Well, top lane it is. ES was of course stealing my last hits and mass-pinging whenever I tried to take them. We of course ended up losing the game because I was underfarmed and the loss was blamed on "noob PL". To be fair, I didn't farm well after the laning stage but we also never had any wards up and they had a lot of icky silences and bought a gem which made it hard for me to show myself.

Queued again immediately after and randomed Enchantress. Was an easy stomp but not because of me (they had a jungling Alchemist who died like 5 times to our Bloodseeker because he dropped low while jungling) At least we won.

Artanisix

Do you have a trench smurf account? I don't think you feel our pain.

Pop-psychology only works to a certain type of rational person. The furion's in trench are the ones trying to cut down every tree in the map before they respawn or delivering rapiers to enemy fountain.

You have to get through the trench to get out of the trench. I did it years ago, I know what kind of people are there. I got my BATTLE SCARS.

There's a certain way you talk to people you don't know in dota. Asking them an aggressive after-the-fact question like "Why aren't you split pushing while we're dying?" serves absolutely nothing other than to put said person on the defensive. You put them in the position where any answer they give isn't satisfactory.

"Because I was farming," "No, you should have been taking a tower instead."
"Because I didn't see it," "How do you not see us all dying 4v5?"
"Because I didn't think to split push," "Do you know how to play your hero?"
"Because I didn't want to," "Well guess you don't want to win then."

It's a loaded question and it's just not good to talk to people in that way. Is there a chance that the person will be an idiot anyway? Sure, but that doesn't excuse you from being mean and stooping down to their level. Be a better person, communicate better, do everything in your power to make the game better.

So I built a new PC, spent about $1100 on it. For the last ~7 years I've been using laptops... turned on Dota 2 yesterday, maxed everything, and went

Seriously, it was more striking than maxing TF2 and GS:GO. I had missed so many details playing it on the lowest settings. Now I can see little squirrels running around, the river looks amazing, the heroes look amazing, I can see what the creeps actually look like. It was like playing a brand new game.

Dota2 is gorgeous, it'll run maxed out on modest hardware too.

Low Tier
Coming from the guy that pretended to have a mental disability ingame and wouldn't stop flaming our ns and undying.

E: game theory is for nerds

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's pure game theory, really.

Your feeder is a jerkface:
You flame them with venom and vitriol. They flame you right back.
You ask them nicely. They ignore you or flame you.

Your feeder is just a newish/bad player who needs some guidance:
You flame them with venom and vitriol. They lash out at you.
You ask them nicely. They consider following your directions.

Expecting people to listen to you after yelling at them just doesn't work in the majority of cases, whereas asking nicely actually has a slight chance of working.

Concurrent numbers finally growing at a decent rate. Up 12,000 from the previous record.

but you dismissed everyone saying it would go up and that they were actually throttling

could it be

:O

you were wrong

It's pure game theory, really.

Your feeder is a jerkface:
You flame them with venom and vitriol. They flame you right back.
You ask them nicely. They ignore you or flame you.

Your feeder is just a newish/bad player who needs some guidance:
You flame them with venom and vitriol. They lash out at you.
You ask them nicely. They consider following your directions.

Expecting people to listen to you after yelling at them just doesn't work in the majority of cases, whereas asking nicely actually has a slight chance of working.

This reads like Pascal's wager.

Card Boy

Banned
I had the worst game in all my years playing DOTA genre games yesterday.

There was this Tiny and Beastmaster who where friends (i checked their friends list after the game to confirm). From the get go the courier was being fed everytime it spawned, this wasn't the big problem. By the 20 minute mark i'm owning as Sniper with like 9-0-5 and the rest of my team minus the Beastmaster and Tiny and decimating the enemy and it looks like a easy victory and we had the clear advantage in towers, over double the kills and the enemy team was on the defensive.

Then all the sudden the Tiny purposely throws 3 of us (minus his friend) on a rock. Well we can't get it off it, you know why? Remember how i said the courier was being fed the whole match on purpose? Well we can't TP off the stupid fucken rock, we are stuck there until the enemy finds us and kills us. When the enemy finally did kill us the Tiny still kept on throwing us in unreachable places we couldn't get out of. While all this was happening the Beastmaster and Tiny where claiming ignorance (while sitting in the fountain) in All and Team chat and telling the enemy to report us....

What could of being the easiest win ever was destroyed by the most vile scum these MOBA communities are known for.

These things need to happen

• You should be able to see who is manually controlling the courier when its not delivering an item
  • Game needs that Tribunal system LoL has
  • Game needs vote kicking system HoN has (make it 9 out of 10 votes needed). This doesn't help with friends that are trolls though.
  • Disabling help should disable able Tinys throwing ability, because trust me i tried disabling the troll throwing me and he could still put me in unescapable areas.

You have to get through the trench to get out of the trench. I did it years ago, I know what kind of people are there. I got my BATTLE SCARS.

There's a certain way you talk to people you don't know in dota. Asking them an aggressive after-the-fact question like "Why aren't you split pushing while we're dying?" serves absolutely nothing other than to put said person on the defensive. You put them in the position where any answer they give isn't satisfactory.

It's a loaded question and it's just not good to talk to people in that way. Is there a chance that the person will be an idiot anyway? Sure, but that doesn't excuse you from being mean and stooping down to their level. Be a better person, communicate better, do everything in your power to make the game better.

This
milk
man gets it.

It's weird how a lot of adults play this game and basically make the "he started it!" excuse when someone calls them out for acting like a shithead. If you've made it out of high school, you should be old enough to know how to act in group/team settings.

I really hate these sorts rhetorical questions, sometimes I even insta mute people who ask them. They're almost as bad as just straight up raging.

Card Boy

Banned
Having a 9 out of 10 vote to kick sounds like the worst possible thing.

Have you played HoN? Because often it works when you get an obvious troll intentionally feeding. I personally think it should be 8 out of 10 votes needed though.

Also why do you think its the worst possible thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom