• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeesEight

It changes dramatically depending on when you check. Last night the place was sapped dry, but this morning I saw a shitton of people and I made a ton of card trades.

Really nice system/website. I drop a handful of rares/uncommons/commons/dupes and get fake currency to use on player cards that I do care about.

Wish I had more time this morning before my train to spend with it, I could probably have just about filled my compendium minus a few holes.

Combination of DOTA2 warehouse and that card matching site that's been linked here. Not to mention some persistence. Dota2 WH selection varies from min to min so check back every once in awhile. I notice the selection is better during the day rather than later at night.. Also, don't be afraid of buying up cards you have dupes for. Just use the dota card trading site to match you up. I've picked up and traded Yamateh like 6 different times for different cards I needed. I'd imagine someone like Dendi would be easy to trade for cards you need as well.

Thanks guys, will check it out. Sure beats trying to grind out matches in the compendium matchmaking!

TommyT

I just upgrade my graphic card, I had a hd 6850 now I have a gtx 660 ti. Everything looks crispier, but not just only that, I'm seeing effects (mostly particles) that I haven't seen before.

Did they touched up the graphics or it's my card?

New effects are trickling in it seems; but I'd wager it's mostly your card.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So I stamped a team and didn't get a Smeevil treat.

There was no pomp and circumstance to when I got the treat...it was just there magically in my inventory. Did you check to see if it's in there hiding somewhere?

I'm still debating whether or not to collect the rest of the player cards or just pony up for a few keys to get the dye. I currently have 10 teams completed but at the same time I don't have enough time to play however many games to generate the 35 cards needed to complete the set.

Thanks guys, will check it out. Sure beats trying to grind out matches in the compendium matchmaking!

Does compendium matchmaking guarantee you a player card every match?

Kyaw

i never check how many wins my opponents have

its like youre looking for an excuse for why youve lost instead of looking at what you couldve done better

moba players have a tendency to blame external factors a lot ill tell you that. hence why theres so much rage

I'm always learning with every match and trying to figure out what I've done wrong and right but come on, someone who has 500 more hours of experience is going to trash me.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
There is something to be said for PR stunts, which is this:

By creating the appearance that women are playing competitively and "succeeding", they will encourage more women to play DOTA 2, leading to a wider pool from which actual competitive players might be discovered.

Role models are powerful stuff. While these girls teams are primarily attention grabbers, they may still have an indirect positive effect on the gender balance of the game.

Except when the attention grab is obviously directed at males. It's pretty much just a short term marketing ploy to capture the attention of male gamers to generate buzz for the sponsor.

Good teams are picked up after they produce results and prove themselves, this wasn't the case here. Like someone else stated I think it does more harm than good when a team is picked up out of nowhere like this with no track record aside from their looks and their sex.

Like with the navi girls team, 90% chance this lgd girls' team will be quietly forgotten in less than a month.

shira

iMqhglkgJ5qfK.jpg

$12k winner, $7k loser
Tobi stream: http://www.joindota.com/en/live/jDRed

#2 Navi
ib0kbNaE9OZNuF.jpg

vs
ipM0Q3OiQFuKH.png

#13 Kaipi

Epic mid battles coming!!!

http://dota2lounge.com/match?m=712
Kaipi bet 4 for 69 rares

Time: Scheduled for 1 hour from now, but depends on whenever Kaipi vs mouz (b03) ends
http://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

Low Tier
To those who were saying they saw lgd girls playing dota last night. That was Mason+company, not the lgd girls. So...
A) you're in no position to flame them
B) it wasn't even them you dolts
C) who cares if they're good or not its purely PR

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So uhm, today's lesson

Alchemist can do really well mid

Really well

I had full Mjonir at 20 minutes (19:35 actually)

They tried rotating three different heroes mid (Warlock, Clinkz, Jakiro) to see if any of them could even slow me down.

shira

So uhm, today's lesson

Really well

They tried rotating three different heroes mid (Warlock, Clinkz, Jakiro) to see if any of them could even slow me down.

Is double maelstrom @ 20 minutes better than mjolnir?

The Technomancer

Is double maelstrom @ 20 minutes better than mjolnir?

Maybe. I was just kind of shocked at how well I was doing so I went straight Mjonir and started working on a Halberd to deal with their Void.

The only reason I even went mid as Alch was because the only other candidate was Windrunner and she didn't want it. I had no idea it was going to be so effective.

So uhm, today's lesson

Really well

Tech, can you post the match ID? Alchi is one of my favorite heroes right now. I'm curious of all the different ways to play him.

The Technomancer

Tech, can you post the match ID? Alchi is one of my favorite heroes right now. I'm curious of all the different ways to play him.

Sure

http://dotabuff.com/matches/251852484

It helps that their Warlock wasn't all that good mid, but even when he DCd for a couple minutes and Clinkz took over I just basically ignored him. Use Acid Spray to zone them out and freefarm.

Their Void was actually decent, but you can't tell it from that stats page because we were always careful to stay spread out enough that one of us could disable him from outside the sphere

BeesEight

Does compendium matchmaking guarantee you a player card every match?

The only match I played where I didn't get a card was one I left due to an early abandon. All the other games have ended with everyone getting cards.

That said, I think the way the system works is that you are guaranteed a card drop in X hours (I get one in the first game I play every evening but don't know if it's a full 24 hours or not).

So, how I go about it now is that I'll play my first match in my regular queue (random and single draft) then play follow up games in compendium to ensure each match gets a card. Though, recently I've only played one game a night due to the compendium match getting really stale (change it up Valve!) and the Steam sale giving me other things to do right now.

How do you guys itemize BS? I'm not completely convinced that rushing radiance is ideal for him.

Radiance is kind of a stupid luxury item. The added damage is nice and it makes farming so damned easy once you have it but it's usually a grind for that Sacred Relic. Farming that can take you out of teamfights.

You are generally better served by getting a Force Staff and some kind of disable, like a Skull Basher. That makes ganking a little easier, you can ult an uncooperative target or potentially stun them out of a TP.

Force Staff. In fact Force Staff on everyone in the team.

No, actually you want Urn, Medallion, and probably Basher or Deso.

Medallion is an item I've only recently started using (started with Venge for when Wave of Terror was on CD and if I missed a hero) but man do I love it. Haven't tried it on BS, will have to give it a shot.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Defense Grand Finals! LETS DO IT!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
How do you guys itemize BS? I'm not completely convinced that rushing radiance is ideal for him.

Rad is pretty bad on him, you need to be effective sooner rather than later.

CHJhRXF.jpg

Those are my post patch builds. The general transition there is from offense to defense, everyone likes to try to kill BS because he's so damn annoying, so you build for longevity. There's a PMS in just about every game that I end up selling as well. I've found that as long as your keeping pace in levels and doing your job ganking around the map or just pushing/team fighting you get enough right click from stats/side stats on your items.

Last few games have been Phase-drum-blademail-halberd. Phase for chasing, drum for more MS/desperately needed stats, blademail to tank up further (+11 armor with his passive, around 20 with his base early on) and return damage/deter people from killing you, and then I can mix it up. The halberd has just been coincidence mostly, there was a right click something that didn't have bkb, so halberd was the right choice to stay alive and mitigate that damage. If there isn't a right click threat looming OR if they have bkb OR if you need to carry harder I would use an SnY/Basher build. These games have also included something else to carry, so I was more free to tank up. I went for mkb over basher next because straight damage, faster was more important than anything else at that point. Crit is an option here as well, as is deso. If you really need to carry you could do something like yasha/deso/manta, but I really think building him tanky is the way to go.

I've forsaken Force staff though, I think it's a gimmick when used offensively with rupture, so unless you REALLY need to gap close I would skip it. I would think of it like force staff on skele king.

EDIT: Don't worry about getting basher to stop TPs, that's silly. If you solo gank something it should only be when you get a passive pick up on a low HP hero you can kill nearly instantly, otherwise you'll be with allies. Spending that kind of gold early needs more return. Likewise for urn, you heal yourself constantly, let someone else pick it up.

I was right at the time of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom