• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
P250 is the best pistol followed by the glock. USP is the worst pistol in the game.

Man valve really took a shit on cs then, usp used to arguably be the best pistol (well after deagle) for those who could aim.
Unlimited rate of fire with no recoil, bullets do the same damage as the mp5 (but no recoil and 12 clip)

It sucks so bad that when the servers go down it will let you search for a game. It pretty much always takes about 5 minutes anyway, so I alt-tab to another window and wait for the gong that means that it found a match. When it's down i don't even realize until it has been searching for like 20 minutes. If it just said the servers were down I could go do something else instead of fucking around.

Forkball

According to the ancient scriptures, the servers would crash when every single Russian tried to queue for English-only servers.

HAS THE PROPHECY COME TRUE?

According to the ancient scriptures, the servers would crash when every single Russian tried to queue for English-only servers.

HAS THE PROPHECY COME TRUE?

The end times are upon us. Gordon Freeman is the hero being released tonight. Dota 2 being renamed to Half-Life 3.

HAVE MERCY GABEN

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What is your secret?!

Is there a good trading website? I checked out the Dota2 warehouse but the selection on cards was pretty small when I looked.

It changes dramatically depending on when you check. Last night the place was sapped dry, but this morning I saw a shitton of people and I made a ton of card trades.

Really nice system/website. I drop a handful of rares/uncommons/commons/dupes and get fake currency to use on player cards that I do care about.

Wish I had more time this morning before my train to spend with it, I could probably have just about filled my compendium minus a few holes.

LGD Girls will play vs LGD this friday in a show match. And apparently IG might make a girl team too.

There should not be a Girls only team or a Boys only team. Just have the best players play on one team. In Video Games there is not a huge gap in physical abilities from men and women as with Football, Hockey, or Track.

RubxQub

You know what would be a way bigger statement to gender equality in eSports than having girls teams?

...having a girl on a proper pro team vs. segregating them into their own teams for show.

Kudos to these girls teams if they actually can compete, but I still can't shake (especially after watching LGD.girls play last night) that not all of them are the best players in the world.

Even if just a single girl got on a pro team it would make waves.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Only just logged in for the first time today and I can't get over how good the game looks. I've seen it in screens and replay videos but seeing it in-game is something else.

So I have figured out the longer I hold back and not engage with the enemy side and just kill creeps the better I do. I really like using Warlock right now, and if I'm patient, and frugal, I can get that sword for two ultimates and then I start kicking ass. But I still find myself getting too greedy, first at the point of level 6 and getting my ultimate. Then when I can get the two ultimates. Before I know it, all the hardwork I put in with being paitent and not engaging in the beginning and mid game starts to get all jacked up towards the end with people being multiple levels higher. What are some strategies from around level 12 on up? Warning, still a super noob with this game.

Calidor

You know what would be a way bigger statement to gender equality in eSports than having girls teams?

...having a girl on a proper pro team vs. segregating them into their own teams for show.

Kudos to these girls teams if they actually can compete, but I still can't shake (especially after watching LGD.girls play last night) that not all of them are the best players in the world.

they were good
better than 99% GAF IHL, including me

One of them was playing Doom and getting rampage kills like a boss

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

It's not like girls are being kept out of pro teams because of their gender, it's something else.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder if Volvo has any statistics with regards to gender distribution in DOTA2.

I imagine it's something like 1:10000

What is your secret?!

Is there a good trading website? I checked out the Dota2 warehouse but the selection on cards was pretty small when I looked.

Combination of DOTA2 warehouse and that card matching site that's been linked here. Not to mention some persistence. Dota2 WH selection varies from min to min so check back every once in awhile. I notice the selection is better during the day rather than later at night.. Also, don't be afraid of buying up cards you have dupes for. Just use the dota card trading site to match you up. I've picked up and traded Yamateh like 6 different times for different cards I needed. I'd imagine someone like Dendi would be easy to trade for cards you need as well.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

There's nothing wrong with have female teams and competitions if it encourages more women to play competitve, or just in general, the problem is when they're nothing more than a PR stunt.

Haly

Do they even track things like that? I don't recall ever having to put that kind of info in Steam.

I don't remember if I ever specified my gender on steam either.

RubxQub

There's nothing wrong with have female teams and competitions if it encourages more women to play competitve, or just in general, the problem is when they're nothing more than a PR stunt.

Would you say that the current girl teams from Navi and LGD are anything more than PR stunts?

If these girls can't compete in tournaments with all the standard teams, then what is their purpose other than a PR stunt?

Just saying that either they should be good enough to be primary members on existing teams, or they should be able to hold their own in competition with everyone else and be judged on their skill directly.

...not saying they're bad at all, just saying that I highly doubt they'd be competitive based on what I saw last night. Again, they weren't bad (I'm sure most/all of them are better than me)...but that doesn't make them pros.

Boken

Banned
I agree with rubxqub

its more of a "look at us, we have a female team" stunt than anything else

if you want real legitimacy you would get results before going public

woodland

So I have figured out the longer I hold back and not engage with the enemy side and just kill creeps the better I do. I really like using Warlock right now, and if I'm patient, and frugal, I can get that sword for two ultimates and then I start kicking ass. But I still find myself getting too greedy, first at the point of level 6 and getting my ultimate. Then when I can get the two ultimates. Before I know it, all the hardwork I put in with being paitent and not engaging in the beginning and mid game starts to get all jacked up towards the end with people being multiple levels higher. What are some strategies from around level 12 on up? Warning, still a super noob with this game.

I don't understand what you're asking, but I'll try to help anyway.

As Warlock, your whole purpose is a teamfight hero, but not a farming one unless you go mid. In general, you should play support, max your first two skills and use the heal as required on your teammate/carry. Definitely get your ult at level 6 and just start engaging, push towers, force teamfights, etc. The initial stun radius is MASSIVE so it's pretty easy to land, just make sure you use your golem in the teamfight - it's flaming fists or w/e destroys supports and low hp carries(a la PL, AM, etc).

For your items, you'll most likely want Arcane Boots since you have 4 actives and a Mekansm after them. If you're playing mid, it's good to work towards Aghanim's Scepter, which gives you double golems. If you're doing really good, start farming for that Refresher, which will allow you to instantly reset cooldowns on your skills/certain items, allowing you to doublecast your ult and get 4 golems. A nice alternative to refresher is Sheep Stick.

Finally, some last notes - Your 3rd skill is good if gotten perfectly, but it takes forever to have an effect and you're useless while casting it. You can opt to put levels in it or just get stats to make you tankier, more int, more agi instead. Your ult goes through BKB, so don't worry if they buy BKB's or anything. Also, if possible get your bonds (first skill) off on the enemy team before ult, but if you can't, dont worry. Ult's massive so just putting the bonds on them afterwards is fine too.

Haly

There is something to be said for PR stunts, which is this:

By creating the appearance that women are playing competitively and "succeeding", they will encourage more women to play DOTA 2, leading to a wider pool from which actual competitive players might be discovered.

Role models are powerful stuff. While these girls teams are primarily attention grabbers, they may still have an indirect positive effect on the gender balance of the game.

There's no sword....

Aghanim's Sceptor gives you two golems
Refresher Orb gives you two ultimates.

Which one do you mean? Whatever the case, you should get Refresher orb before Aghanim's since it gives you effectively area of effect stuns with two golems as opposed to aghanim's scepter which only gives on AOE stun with 2 weaker golems.

I too am not sure what you're asking but avoiding fights until you have your items isn't your role. In fact you should be participating in as many fights as possible early on especially at 6. I think what you should really be concentrating more on is positioning in general. Fight behind your tankiest hero and be careful when chasing a low health enemy if his teammates are up.

RS4-

There's no sword....

Aghanim's Sceptor gives you two golems
Refresher Orb gives you two ultimates.

Which one do you mean? Whatever the case, you should get Refresher orb before Aghanim's since it gives you effectively area of effect stuns with two golems as opposed to aghanim's scepter which only gives on AOE stun with 2 weaker golems.

I too am not sure what you're asking but avoiding fights until you have your items isn't your role. In fact you should be participating in as many fights as possible early on especially at 6. I think what you should really be concentrating more on is positioning in general. Fight behind your tankiest hero and be careful when chasing a low health enemy if his teammates are up.

As much as I like going fresher, it's an extra 1k and I do prefer the stats (and item build) towards scepter instead.

Unless I'm really snowballing, then I'll go fresher first. Sometimes I'll just ignore it all together and get necro 3 or something instead after scepter.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Refresher also costs a lot of mana. I'd say scepter is a better thing to get first because it gives great stats and survivability.

Kreunt

Banned
There is something to be said for PR stunts, which is this:

By creating the appearance that women are playing competitively and "succeeding", they will encourage more women to play DOTA 2, leading to a wider pool from which actual competitive players might be discovered.

Role models are powerful stuff. While these girls teams are primarily attention grabbers, they may still have an indirect positive effect on the gender balance of the game.

being that they're a bunch of skinny hot girls in tiny shorts and heels, i think it's probably more likely to drive females away from the game, or at least make it for harder for them to take it seriously.

F!ReW!Re

I don't know why I even bother with these guys....

ohh_brother.jpg

Did direct him to some trading sites but ahh well...

I don't understand what you're asking, but I'll try to help anyway.

As Warlock, your whole purpose is a teamfight hero, but not a farming one unless you go mid. In general, you should play support, max your first two skills and use the heal as required on your teammate/carry. Definitely get your ult at level 6 and just start engaging, push towers, force teamfights, etc. The initial stun radius is MASSIVE so it's pretty easy to land, just make sure you use your golem in the teamfight - it's flaming fists or w/e destroys supports and low hp carries(a la PL, AM, etc).

For your items, you'll most likely want Arcane Boots since you have 4 actives and a Mekansm after them. If you're playing mid, it's good to work towards Aghanim's Scepter, which gives you double golems. If you're doing really good, start farming for that Refresher, which will allow you to instantly reset cooldowns on your skills/certain items, allowing you to doublecast your ult and get 4 golems. A nice alternative to refresher is Sheep Stick.

Finally, some last notes - Your 3rd skill is good if gotten perfectly, but it takes forever to have an effect and you're useless while casting it. You can opt to put levels in it or just get stats to make you tankier, more int, more agi instead. Your ult goes through BKB, so don't worry if they buy BKB's or anything. Also, if possible get your bonds (first skill) off on the enemy team before ult, but if you can't, dont worry. Ult's massive so just putting the bonds on them afterwards is fine too.

Awesome, that was exactly what I was asking. That has been my general play style these past two nights. I didn't know about buying Mekanasm or the Refresher though. I just try to help out others and I only battle enemies or go for towers when I have the ultimate. I find the 3rd skill pretty lacking, or I don't use it properly so I put one skill point in it, then move on to upping my stats.

Beardz

I just upgrade my graphic card, I had a hd 6850 now I have a gtx 660 ti. Everything looks crispier, but not just only that, I'm seeing effects (mostly particles) that I haven't seen before.

Did they touched up the graphics or it's my card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom