• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT12| A Safe Place For Your Sociopathic Behaviors.

t0rment

given how positive you have been about dota in the past, this is a very surprising thing to hear

i was positive with dota, at least until 6.82. after that it was all downhill, the variety of working strategies are fewer and fewer with every patch. the game is still the best moba on the market, but still have several flaws.

but i say that i'm not playing dota because i'm in the trash tier though. it's a totally different game down here.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I like the game right now, no one knows what is OP and the game feels fun/active. You can rice all day like arteezy and leverage that creep gold into kills in the midgame or you can go full gank mode. LD/NP/Lycan and other rats feel strong too, and naga is always viable.

Vade

Nsb3TUT.jpg

I like the game right now, no one knows what is OP and the game feels fun/active. You can rice all day like arteezy and leverage that creep gold into kills in the midgame or you can go full gank mode. LD/NP/Lycan and other rats feel strong too, and naga is always viable.

I'm on a 4 game losing streak so this game sucks balls right now

Chris R

Patch looks like a ton of fun, three more days until I get muh bandwidth back to play ;_;

50k down 10k up is so slow, can't even stream twitch on mobile settings lol

JC Sera

following is free, subscrubing costs money.
I made a thing ;)

Luckily DotA actually requires very little when it comes to connection speed. I play (on the closest server) with a 1.6mbps\512kbps connection (~185KB/s down ~64KB/s up) and have almost no issues as long as nothing else is going on with my connection. I thought I read somewhere that 60KB/s down and 10KB/s was all the game needed, and unless your game ran more than an hour or so it was more like 40/10.
you have never had to play when a sibling is uploading utau covers

Patch looks like a ton of fun, three more days until I get muh bandwidth back to play ;_;

50k down 10k up is so slow, can't even stream twitch on mobile settings lol

Luckily DotA actually requires very little when it comes to connection speed. I play (on the closest server) with a 1.6mbps\512kbps connection (~185KB/s down ~64KB/s up) and have almost no issues as long as nothing else is going on with my connection. I thought I read somewhere that 60KB/s down and 10KB/s was all the game needed, and unless your game ran more than an hour or so it was more like 40/10.

Chris R

Luckily DotA actually requires very little when it comes to connection speed. I play (on the closest server) with a 1.6mbps512kbps connection (~185KB/s down ~64KB/s up) and have almost no issues as long as nothing else is going on with my connection. I thought I read somewhere that 60KB/s down and 10KB/s was all the game needed, and unless your game ran more than an hour or so it was more like 40/10.
I tried to just observe a game but it did not go well :(

DrPizza

Banned
Had a totally shit game where I kept underestimating how much cold snap would fuck me up and lost mid to an Invoker. Pretty embarrassing really.

But then after our team raged at each other, we decided to win.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1828207187

I may have to go back to maining Viper, especially as Techies got nerfed.

Regional chat

At7L75x.png

I'm not that surprised about the Japanese Dota channels not having many actual Japanese players. Every time I visit a random Japanese Dota streamer's channel there's almost no other viewers around, and if I ask how popular Dota is in Japan I always get the standard "Oh, it's not that popular but it's getting better!" canned answer.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The Tokyo chat room is fucking sad, literally the dumbest manchildren on the planet.

Thank god for the local Japan chat rooms.

ALSO, how long does YASP take to hook up your shit cause I wanna get stats man.

The Tokyo chat room is fucking sad, literally the dumbest manchildren on the planet.

Thank god for the local Japan chat rooms.

ALSO, how long does YASP take to hook up your shit cause I wanna get stats man.

Where are these local Japan chat rooms you speak of? Not 2ch I hope -_-

YASP took like a week for me before it actually started parsing. Pass the initial wait, once you start visiting the site semi-regularly they get pretty good with parsing your games at a good clip.

Yesterday, I had my 1st Spectre game on 6.85, lost the lane, team got 13k gold behind, everybody fed and then I got Radiance and we won.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1827795945

Dispersion felt super strong. I went 1-4-4-1 which I think is likely the best skill build.

Also lost with mega creeps a game prior to that but never mind that lol.

One thing that does surprise me is the fact that AM supposedly has a positive winrate vs Spectre according to Dotabuff which kinda surprises me. I always felt Spectre was somewhat of a good match up.

Dual offlanes with Ogre are so fucking hot right now.
Ogre in general is crazy right now. Nobody can actually stop him from diving people (I guess he's too dumb to register tower shots as painful?)
Some Random said:
So this game made me check out Earthbound... but I think Undertale spoiled me because I keep looking for ways to not kill enemies in Earthbound
You see what that game you keep shilling does to people, Sera?

yeah
you would definitely have a bad time
It's not even for the reason you think. I (theoretically) paid for it,
the game judging me for wanting to go for 100% completion or cutting me off from a proper happy ending for doing a genocide route permanently does not gel with me at all and I should be able to do what I want with the game

For future reference HM & HM2 are some of my favourite games of all time if that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from

JC Sera

It's not even for the reason you think. I (theoretically) paid for it,
the game judging me for wanting to go for 100% completion or cutting me off from a proper happy ending for doing a genocide route permanently does not gel with me at all

For future reference HM & HM2 are some of my favourite games of all time if that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from
No thats what I guessed
for the utter completionist, this game is devastating

however for everyone else its just plain old amazing
the shill never ends

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Where are these local Japan chat rooms you speak of? Not 2ch I hope -_-

YASP took like a week for me before it actually started parsing. Pass the initial wait, once you start visiting the site semi-regularly they get pretty good with parsing your games at a good clip.

Japan has a bunch of local chat rooms, mine puts me in "maebashi" which is in like gunma or some shit. I usually go to the Kawagoe chat since that's actually what's closest to me and its free of filthy baka gaijin fucking up my social harmony.

Satch

Banned
playing windrunner right now is like playing roulette
i cannot wait for them to fix that clicking situation

I've been playing DOTA2 for some research at University, into how UI's can help players learn about others abilities in games where teamplay is important, where language barriers exist (famous example of Russians vs everyone else), or offensive chat is considered "normal" thanks to high pressure environment. You know, those game worlds where people don't really want to interact, but really they should because its beneficial (or in DOTA2's case, almost essential) to winning.

I know that the game gives you some small information on a players performance, such as MMR (I really hate points-based ratings) and how many times they've won with certain characters. But I wish the game could give more statistics.

Would you say it would be helpful to have more detailed stats on player behaviours with heroes, such as percentage spread of a players time in the three lanes in their game history, a recent win/loss ratio and other relevant stuff (dependent on game, obviously)? Through this, you could become better informed for the game ahead and be able to plan your own strategies around the known behaviours of team members despite language barriers or lack of communication.

Just looking at ways to release the boiler room feeling of intense games like DOTA2, and other competitive games. Just make them more enjoyable for the mid-core of players, after they've gotten through the tough start of getting knee deep in the game.

Any kinds of suggestions and thoughts are welcome. If there is any pro level thinking out there, or design-focused writing on it, I'd especially love that.

DrPizza

Banned
I've been playing DOTA2 for some research at University, into how UI's can help players learn about others abilities in games where teamplay is important, where language barriers exist (famous example of Russians vs everyone else), or offensive chat is considered "normal" thanks to high pressure environment. You know, those game worlds where people don't really want to interact, but really they should because its beneficial (or in DOTA2's case, almost essential) to winning.

I know that the game gives you some small information on a players performance, such as MMR (I really hate points-based ratings) and how many times they've won with certain characters. But I wish the game could give more statistics.

Would you say it would be helpful to have more detailed stats on player behaviours with heroes, such as percentage spread of a players time in the three lanes in their game history, a recent win/loss ratio and other relevant stuff (dependent on game, obviously)? Through this, you could become better informed for the game ahead and be able to plan your own strategies around the known behaviours of team members despite language barriers or lack of communication.

Just looking at ways to release the boiler room feeling of intense games like DOTA2, and other competitive games. Just make them more enjoyable for the mid-core of players, after they've gotten through the tough start of getting knee deep in the game.

Any kinds of suggestions and thoughts are welcome. If there is any pro level thinking out there, or design-focused writing on it, I'd especially love that.

We all wish for better stats, but in the meantime we have dotabuff and yasp, and one or two others.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yesterday, I had my 1st Spectre game on 6.85, lost the lane, team got 13k gold behind, everybody fed and then I got Radiance and we won.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1827795945

Dispersion felt super strong. I went 1-4-4-1 which I think is likely the best skill build.

Also lost with mega creeps a game prior to that but never mind that lol.

One thing that does surprise me is the fact that AM supposedly has a positive winrate vs Spectre according to Dotabuff which kinda surprises me. I always felt Spectre was somewhat of a good match up.
He farms quicker and ends the game before she reaches endgame.

KingKong

Maybe its psychological or they made things worse recently but ever since I read about the clicking issue I'm noticing it constantly when I play

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It's not done for two reasons:

1) It's hard to quantify in a way that's useful or legible. DOTA isn't deterministic enough like Chess where you can possibly measure "Player <x> makes <y> opening <z> percent of the time".

2) States make the atmosphere even worse. It's true. HoN used to keep track of a lot of things like win rate, KDA and GPM right there baked into the UI and it was awful. Stat padding was rampant in that game and no lobby was free from KDA dickwaving. It basically adds another MMR-like number to worry over because it'll affect your perceived value to the team. It's true that a lot of these things are available on stat sites like Yasp and DotaBuff but in practice, the added work of tabbing out to look someone up is enough of a deterrence so that it isn't the norm, like it becomes when user stats are accessible from the UI.

Privately visible stats would circumvent a lot of the potential problems but it's not exactly what you had in mind, is it?

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom